Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Trucks & Trailers
Reload this Page >

New GM 3.0L diesel 1500 has the same torque and cost as the 6.2 L

Notices
Like Tree42Likes

New GM 3.0L diesel 1500 has the same torque and cost as the 6.2 L

Old 03-26-2019, 02:42 PM
  #1  
Joe
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
Posts: 16,111
Default New GM 3.0L diesel 1500 has the same torque and cost as the 6.2 L

Interesting. I'd guess with the price delta between gas and diesel, the nod still slightly goes to the 6.2L even though the diesel will get better gas mileage.

But it appears the diesel will be available in 2wd models and lower level trims, so that's a notable difference.

https://jalopnik.com/the-2019-chevy-...tha-1833563155
skillet64 likes this.
Joe is offline  
Old 03-26-2019, 06:49 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dryden/Ludington, MI - Steamboat, CO
Posts: 1,296
Default

The diesel will not get better gas mileage.........
Salmonbum is online now  
Old 03-26-2019, 06:55 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: On the Flats
Posts: 7,221
Default

For only $2400 upgrade the 6.2 all the way. I cruise at 80 mph getting 19 mpg in a Denali XL with a 6.2.
NOLA Rick likes this.
Flatout71 is offline  
Old 03-26-2019, 08:22 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Rocky Point FL
Posts: 8,439
Default

This is exactly why the mid size truck market is going to explode. The sick truth is the full size truck makes has gone the way of the offshore center console unobtanium prices are moving us minions to the cheap seats. 40k for a tricked out Ranger WTF. Yes you too can by a 3rd world UTE for 40k
zigzag and sonickevin95 like this.
r.waddill is offline  
Old 03-26-2019, 08:45 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 988
Default

If there's no mini Allison transmission, I see no point.

The Duramax without an Allison transmission is as useless as a 1 ton truck with a gas motor.
BillTex and RockOnOBX like this.
Manoverboard123 is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 04:45 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winterville & MHC, NC
Posts: 4,651
Default

Originally Posted by Manoverboard123 View Post
If there's no mini Allison transmission, I see no point.

The Duramax without an Allison transmission is as useless as a 1 ton truck with a gas motor.

While I have a 2500 Duramax with he Allison, the Allison was developed by GM and they paid to use the the Allison branding from what I understand. It is not the Allison of old and that includes my truck.


I will stick with a 3/4 ton truck but I can see the smaller Duramax in my driveway should they put it in a SUV for my wife.
ytmorris is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 04:51 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Savannah, GA
Posts: 1,885
Default

That's a pretty reasonable upgrade cost for a v6 diesel, especially once you factor in MSRP prices are where negotiations start, not what you're going to pay.
jj1987 is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 06:33 AM
  #8  
Joe
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
Posts: 16,111
Default

Its a straight 6 diesel

Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
That's a pretty reasonable upgrade cost for a v6 diesel, especially once you factor in MSRP prices are where negotiations start, not what you're going to pay.
Joe is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 06:34 AM
  #9  
Joe
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
Posts: 16,111
Default

I don;t think i ever saw 19 in my Sierra 6.2l

Originally Posted by Flatout71 View Post
For only $2400 upgrade the 6.2 all the way. I cruise at 80 mph getting 19 mpg in a Denali XL with a 6.2.
Joe is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 06:42 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,434
Default

Interested to see how this one does in the market. Seems like the perfect powerplant for the guy that runs a lot of miles on the interstate unloaded, or spends a lot of times towing light to moderate loads. The fuel economy advantage in that situation would be noteworthy.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 06:58 AM
  #11  
Joe
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
Posts: 16,111
Default

The 6.2L has the highest towing available in a GM 1500--only a few hundred pounds shy of the 2500HD Duramax. Since the torque is the same (but HP is not) between the diesel and the 6.2l, I'd expect to see towing amounts to be similar as well.

Many on here have been clamoring for a more powerful engine in a less equipped truck--here it is.

I remember years ago asking on here why a manufacturer hadn't put a medium sized (~4-5.0l) diesel in a 1500 series truck to get 30 mpg and tow 10K pounds and got laughed at for it. "A diesel engine will never get 30 mpg" they said. Well..10 years later it looks like it will.

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Interested to see how this one does in the market. Seems like the perfect powerplant for the guy that runs a lot of miles on the interstate unloaded, or spends a lot of times towing light to moderate loads. The fuel economy advantage in that situation would be noteworthy.
Joe is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 07:06 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baltimore md
Posts: 2,191
Default

Originally Posted by Joe View Post
The 6.2L has the highest towing available in a GM 1500--only a few hundred pounds shy of the 2500HD Duramax. Since the torque is the same (but HP is not) between the diesel and the 6.2l, I'd expect to see towing amounts to be similar as well.

Many on here have been clamoring for a more powerful engine in a less equipped truck--here it is.

I remember years ago asking on here why a manufacturer hadn't put a medium sized (~4-5.0l) diesel in a 1500 series truck to get 30 mpg and tow 10K pounds and got laughed at for it. "A diesel engine will never get 30 mpg" they said. Well..10 years later it looks like it will.
While you are correct on the diesel knocking on the door of 30mpg. You are wrong on the 5.0 diesel making much sense in a 1500. These engines are significantly heavier then their gas counter parts. I think the big three nailed the displacement on this. When you add weight you take payload and towing lbs away. Your don't wanna screw up the driveability of a half ton by making it front heavy. Then larger brakes and suspension components are required. Then you have a 3/4 ton truck with a 5.0 diesel.
​​
RyanL11 likes this.
sonickevin95 is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 07:12 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,434
Default

Originally Posted by Joe View Post
The 6.2L has the highest towing available in a GM 1500--only a few hundred pounds shy of the 2500HD Duramax. Since the torque is the same (but HP is not) between the diesel and the 6.2l, I'd expect to see towing amounts to be similar as well.

Many on here have been clamoring for a more powerful engine in a less equipped truck--here it is.

I remember years ago asking on here why a manufacturer hadn't put a medium sized (~4-5.0l) diesel in a 1500 series truck to get 30 mpg and tow 10K pounds and got laughed at for it. "A diesel engine will never get 30 mpg" they said. Well..10 years later it looks like it will.
I still think that a "big" power oriented diesel would be a better seller. Wish they had revived plans for the 4.5L that they discussed a few years back.
h20addict likes this.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 07:14 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,941
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Interested to see how this one does in the market. Seems like the perfect powerplant for the guy that runs a lot of miles on the interstate unloaded, or spends a lot of times towing light to moderate loads. The fuel economy advantage in that situation would be noteworthy.
That's me but my current GM 1500 transmission has left a bad taste in my mouth
On the Half Shell is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 07:22 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,434
Default

Originally Posted by On the Half Shell View Post
That's me but my current GM 1500 transmission has left a bad taste in my mouth
8 speed?
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 07:23 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dryden/Ludington, MI - Steamboat, CO
Posts: 1,296
Default

Originally Posted by On the Half Shell View Post
That's me but my current GM 1500 transmission has left a bad taste in my mouth
Everything GM post bailout has left a bad taste in my mouth. Cheaply made crap. Its catching up with them.
vettnman, NOLA Rick and joshd472 like this.
Salmonbum is online now  
Old 03-27-2019, 07:50 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Reading, PA/Indian River, DE
Posts: 2,766
Default

Originally Posted by Salmonbum View Post
The diesel will not get better gas mileage.........
Yes it will.

As far as towing, it will be interesting to see what they rate it for. The F150 with the Power Stroke has a tow rating right up there with the other engine offerings whereas the Ram Ecodiesel ended up on the lower end. Rumors so far, to be taken with a grain of salt have had the Duramax on the lower end.
jtav2002 is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 08:00 AM
  #18  
Joe
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
Posts: 16,111
Default

Well, I did say 4-5l.

Originally Posted by sonickevin95 View Post
While you are correct on the diesel knocking on the door of 30mpg. You are wrong on the 5.0 diesel making much sense in a 1500. These engines are significantly heavier then their gas counter parts. I think the big three nailed the displacement on this. When you add weight you take payload and towing lbs away. Your don't wanna screw up the driveability of a half ton by making it front heavy. Then larger brakes and suspension components are required. Then you have a 3/4 ton truck with a 5.0 diesel.
​​
Joe is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 08:01 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,434
Default

Originally Posted by jtav2002 View Post


Yes it will.

As far as towing, it will be interesting to see what they rate it for. The F150 with the Power Stroke has a tow rating right up there with the other engine offerings whereas the Ram Ecodiesel ended up on the lower end. Rumors so far, to be taken with a grain of salt have had the Duramax on the lower end.
I don't even think a lower rating will hurt it that much. The main thing it needs to do is get good mileage unloaded, and decent mileage when loaded or towing up to say 5,000 - 6,000 lbs. That's about the max weight that it makes sense to do high mileage towing with a 1/2 ton. Also, in that weight range, it needs to act like a 3/4 ton/1 ton diesel with 10,000 - 12,000 behind it. In other words, pull hard and almost exclusively at low RPM, at interstate speed.
jtav2002 likes this.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 03-27-2019, 08:01 AM
  #20  
Joe
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mt Pleasant, SC
Posts: 16,111
Default

Agreed. But at least this opens up some options on what is available.

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
I still think that a "big" power oriented diesel would be a better seller. Wish they had revived plans for the 4.5L that they discussed a few years back.
autobaun70 likes this.
Joe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread