Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Trucks & Trailers
Reload this Page >

Can a 5.4 gas F250 tow a Fountain 31?

Notices
Like Tree22Likes

Can a 5.4 gas F250 tow a Fountain 31?

Old 03-13-2019, 05:16 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 230
Default Can a 5.4 gas F250 tow a Fountain 31?

On the flat from Florida to Texas around the Gulf.........all level. I have the towing package with substantial receiver hitch (don't know the rating offhand). Total weight of the boat, motors, fuel around 7,500lbs, not including the trailer. I'm wondering if I can roll at 60mph?

Thoughts please?.......
btravlin2 is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 05:30 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,585
Default

Ooooohhh, will it? Yes

Do you want to? Not me.
avalonandl is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 05:30 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,400
Default

It will do it I'm sure, but sounds quite miserable to me. The 5.4 is anemic on a good day. Perfectly safe. Just not enjoyable.
avalonandl likes this.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 05:47 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: orlando madbeach, fl
Posts: 8,718
Default

Owned one for about a year. Worst vehicle I have ever owned! Don't do it!

Towed my Pursuit 2870 to the Keys from Tampa area. Got a whopping 4 miles to the gallon. Had to stop about every 100 miles to fill up.
Truck could not get out of its own way.

Even empty it was a dog. You have to keep the pedal to the floor to make it go anywhere.

Wife was driving it one day and came home and said "You know...I wouldn't cry if you sold that truck"!

Got rid of it a few weeks later and bought an Infiniti QX56. Have had it for 5 years now and love it. Tows way better, gets almost 10 when towing and is the most comfortable vehicle I have owned.

Volleybum1970 likes this.
signmansez is online now  
Old 03-13-2019, 06:15 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lindenhurst, New York
Posts: 7,747
Default

towing aside if you struggled to daily drive a 5.4 im thinking something was wrong with it or you live in a very mountainous area lol
Ive had one since 2003 ( and mine is the less HP 2 valve ) while its no rocket ship I cant say I struggle to drive
cummins28 and sonickevin95 like this.
Raybo Marine NY is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 06:28 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: west tn
Posts: 724
Default

They mis-spelled that trashbox engine, spelled it "Triton" but it should've been spelled "Tryton". As in TRY to pull a ton without it coming apart!

Ford should be in bankruptcy court for the screwing it gave everyone that bought one of those miserable POS pea-thrashers.

That being said, yeah it'll do what you're wanting... keep a map of gas stations & tow co.s handy along the route.
avalonandl likes this.
HatchieLuvr is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 06:43 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Silverton, Oregon
Posts: 181
Default

We had a 6.2 diesel Chevy pickup when I was young. We pulled all kinds of stock trailers, travel trailers, and equipment trailers with it, sometimes for 1,000+ mile trips. I believe it had something like 165 HP. I find it kind of funny that today people think they need 300 HP so that they can roll with their 10,000# trailer at 70mph uphill...
cummins28 and sonickevin95 like this.
Dan_F is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 06:53 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Near Wheeling W.V.
Posts: 931
Default

Originally Posted by Dan_F View Post
We had a 6.2 diesel Chevy pickup when I was young. We pulled all kinds of stock trailers, travel trailers, and equipment trailers with it, sometimes for 1,000+ mile trips. I believe it had something like 165 HP. I find it kind of funny that today people think they need 300 HP so that they can roll with their 10,000# trailer at 70mph uphill...
Most here would proclaim you need the biggest thumpest diesel with a programmer on it to haul a piece of plywood and a Mexican to unload it from home depot.
Joe, Salmonbum, Milehog and 4 others like this.
Bamby is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 07:11 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 230
Default

Originally Posted by Bamby View Post
Most here would proclaim you need the biggest thumpest diesel with a programmer on it to haul a piece of plywood and a Mexican to unload it from home depot.
Damn that's funny!! And not far off.

I don't know what the fuss is all about with the F250 5.4. I cruise 68mph all day long at about 2000rpm getting 14mpg. Motor is hardly working. I have 206,000 miles on it. Of course I use Mobil 1. The truck has been a pleasant surprise overall.

But still, that's a pretty good load. It would be a 1-time trip. I'm thinking if the tongue is weighted correctly and I take it slow and easy I'll be ok, but I wanted to see if anyone had a similar experience already to advise on.
btravlin2 is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 07:16 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,400
Default

It will work fine I'm sure. Main thing on 5.4 is it's complete lack of power. OK motor for a crew truck that gets loaded heavy but never tows, just not a towing monster. It drives me nuts to go below the speed of traffic.

One thing you may consider is renting a truck from Enterprise Truck Rental 1 way. Bulk of their fleet is diesel.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 07:43 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,137
Default

As an owner of a 5.4 F250, I will say it will do it..BUT..it will suck. My boat/motor/trailer/fuel, etc is about 5K. Towing from ATL to Destin is not fun. I don't feel unsafe at all but it is a slow go. 60mph is about the best it will do consistently and even then, you can watch the gas gauge drop....about 4-5mpg. Makes for a long drive.
Fish Hunter IV is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:16 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas
Posts: 230
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
One thing you may consider is renting a truck from Enterprise Truck Rental 1 way. Bulk of their fleet is diesel.
Intelligent minds think alike. I've done that before from Enterprise. I hauled a Stamas 288 back from Mass. with a diesel dually. It acted like nothing was back there. That is plan B, which might become plan A. Probably the better choice.
Kenner 23 likes this.
btravlin2 is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:24 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mechanicsville VA
Posts: 7,900
Default

A buddy had one for years towing a 11K-12K cigarette boat. He didn't like it but he did it EVERY WEEKEND. Biggest plus was a cigarette boat doesn't catch that much wind. (he's since upgraded to a newer diesel F250)
Kenner 23 likes this.
t500hps is online now  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:27 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: orlando madbeach, fl
Posts: 8,718
Default

Mine was a 4x4 which probably didn't help. I had an 02 F150 super crew 4x4 that pulled the boat better than this pig. I bought used and traded it in on my Infiniti. I actually got more than what I paid when I traded. Actual cash value.
It was a good looking truck. Just needed more ponies. I was actually thinking about getting the motor "built" so that it would perform better.

When the boss said get rid of it, I did.




signmansez is online now  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:27 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Lindenhurst, New York
Posts: 7,747
Default

its more important that the trailer have properly operating brakes
I have towed, but very local, a 31 fountain to and from the ramp to help someone out. towing was not bad stopping was sketchy because the trailer did not have operating brakes
we were only going local and I barely got up to 35mph
pulling it was not an issue

suspension and brakes are same as a diesel 250 or 350 so the only benefit you get from a SRW gas vs diesel is the pulling power

sounds like you already have the truck and not the boat? maybe try it one time and if its too uncomfortable consider changing trucks
Raybo Marine NY is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 08:46 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,400
Default

Originally Posted by btravlin2 View Post
Intelligent minds think alike. I've done that before from Enterprise. I hauled a Stamas 288 back from Mass. with a diesel dually. It acted like nothing was back there. That is plan B, which might become plan A. Probably the better choice.
I too am a high mileage owner. Just hit 210K this morning. Wouldn't bother me to hit the road this afternoon to drive cross country. That said, there is a lot to be said for any issues that happen along the way being someone else's problem. If I head out from upstate SC to the coast towing my boat and something happens, I can make a few phone calls and have a loaner truck and get mine to a friendly shop in a matter of hours. I can't do that between here and Texas once I get past about north Georgia. At that point the contingency plan gets expensive. Were I making that run, I would look at renting as solving both the sanity while driving issue, and peace of mind regarding getting there in a timely manner with no drama.

While not a powerhouse, the 5.4 truck will likely be fine for frequent short tows, and the risk involved if something tears up are minimal when you are local. Hitting the interstate for long distance, paying a few bucks to differ the risk and have a more enjoyable trip starts to make a lot more sense.
sonickevin95 likes this.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 09:33 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Dryden/Ludington, MI - Steamboat, CO
Posts: 1,292
Default

Just make sure it still has all 8 spark plugs in the holes and you will be OK. I had a 2000 F150 with the 5.4 and it wasn't a bad truck at all. Low on power for today standards but back then it was just fine.
Salmonbum is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 10:49 AM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: orlando madbeach, fl
Posts: 8,718
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
I too am a high mileage owner. Just hit 210K this morning. Wouldn't bother me to hit the road this afternoon to drive cross country. That said, there is a lot to be said for any issues that happen along the way being someone else's problem. If I head out from upstate SC to the coast towing my boat and something happens, I can make a few phone calls and have a loaner truck and get mine to a friendly shop in a matter of hours. I can't do that between here and Texas once I get past about north Georgia. At that point the contingency plan gets expensive. Were I making that run, I would look at renting as solving both the sanity while driving issue, and peace of mind regarding getting there in a timely manner with no drama.

While not a powerhouse, the 5.4 truck will likely be fine for frequent short tows, and the risk involved if something tears up are minimal when you are local. Hitting the interstate for long distance, paying a few bucks to differ the risk and have a more enjoyable trip starts to make a lot more sense.
The F250 gasser I had was exhausting to tow long distances. I think it was borderline unsafe as it could not get up to highway speeds coming on from the ramp. Trust me there was a lot of time getting on and off the highway on a tow!
signmansez is online now  
Old 03-13-2019, 11:11 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 982
Default

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr View Post
They mis-spelled that trashbox engine, spelled it "Triton" but it should've been spelled "Tryton". As in TRY to pull a ton without it coming apart!

Ford should be in bankruptcy court for the screwing it gave everyone that bought one of those miserable POS pea-thrashers.

That being said, yeah it'll do what you're wanting... keep a map of gas stations & tow co.s handy along the route.
I wouldn't completely blame it on Ford.. I'd also blame it on the people who thought it was a good idea to buy a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck with a half ton gas motor. What sense does that make...? I have no idea.
Manoverboard123 is offline  
Old 03-13-2019, 12:00 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,400
Default

Originally Posted by Manoverboard123 View Post
I wouldn't completely blame it on Ford.. I'd also blame it on the people who thought it was a good idea to buy a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck with a half ton gas motor. What sense does that make...? I have no idea.
I would. Ford should have never put a motor that weak in a 3/4 ton. It was a price point thing completely.
autobaun70 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread