Notices
Like Tree2Likes

F150 stereo Raptor question

Reply

Old 10-11-2018, 04:14 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 5,162
Default F150 stereo Raptor question

Thinking of ordering a Raptor, the only option I want is the Torsen front differential which is available stand alone. I prefer cloth which come in the base and actually looks pretty nice, the stereo and screen on the base are not great, pretty small and low resolution, to get the 8" screen you have to get leather and a bunch of other options, minimum cost is $3280.
Is it possible to just change out the factory head unit with the larger factory head unit with the bigger screen, pretty sure the Raptor has the same center stack as the rest of the F150 line.
Thanks for any info.
MacCTD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:48 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Gloucester,Ma USA
Posts: 10,681
Default

In my opinion the Raptor is a waste of money. It's made for offroad but is wider than the standard F-150 making "woods bombing" tight. I have the 2107 F-150 STX package with an 8" screen and cloth fabric. You'd probably be happier with the F-150 Sport package.
Jay A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:32 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 317
Default

I don't have any personal experience with them but there's a company called 4DTech that seems to have what you're looking for
Salty22 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 03:16 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OBX
Posts: 2,577
Default

Yes, you can get the bezel, sync3 pieces, and wiring harness adapter, but it's still going to be close to $2k when it's all said and done. You'd almost be better off junk yard shopping for parts from an XLT w/ sync3.
stowaway is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 04:41 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 455
Default

Originally Posted by Jay A View Post
In my opinion the Raptor is a waste of money. It's made for offroad but is wider than the standard F-150 making "woods bombing" tight. I have the 2107 F-150 STX package with an 8" screen and cloth fabric. You'd probably be happier with the F-150 Sport package.
https://youtu.be/8iHdLPrMCiM
Generally the only people who bash Raptors are the ones who wish they had one. Spent 8 years in the car business and have owned or driven pretty much every model 1/2 ton and 3/4 out there. Gotta say my Raptor is still a thrill after having it a year now.
RUFcaptain likes this.
tmd11111 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 12:36 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 5,162
Default

Thanks for the info, apparently the 5" screen uses different connectors so the 8" screen is not plug and play not to mention having to change the bezel and hvac control panel, guess if I get one I will just leave the 5" screen, I would have cloth and the 5" screen than leather and the 8" screen.
As far as comparing to a regular F150, the Raptor would be the only F150 I would buy, be the first truck I would pretty much leave stock.
MacCTD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 12:41 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Gloucester,Ma USA
Posts: 10,681
Default

Originally Posted by tmd11111 View Post


Generally the only people who bash Raptors are the ones who wish they had one. Spent 8 years in the car business and have owned or driven pretty much every model 1/2 ton and 3/4 out there. Gotta say my Raptor is still a thrill after having it a year now.
I'm not bashing the Raptor, I even test driven one before I bought my F-150. I was responding to the original post. The Raptor does not provide some features that the F-150 does and you have to admit having a Raptor you are most likely to use it most of the time as your everyday vehicle. With limited engine selection too you are limited on how much you can tow. It comes to more bang for the buck comparing the F-150 vs Raptor !
Jay A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 02:27 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 455
Default

Originally Posted by Jay A View Post
I'm not bashing the Raptor, I even test driven one before I bought my F-150. I was responding to the original post. The Raptor does not provide some features that the F-150 does and you have to admit having a Raptor you are most likely to use it most of the time as your everyday vehicle. With limited engine selection too you are limited on how much you can tow. It comes to more bang for the buck comparing the F-150 vs Raptor !
The only feature not available on the Raptor is the messaging seats on the king ranch. Outside of that it has everything else and more. Only reason itís towing capacity is limited to 8k is because of the suspension and tires. As for the engine it only comes with the 3.5HO and 4.11 gears. Itís a beast when it comes to power buts itís a gas hog as well
tmd11111 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:44 AM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 3,917
Default

the raptor is a wanna be baja ready truck. lots of power and soft off road suspension. unless your in the sand dunes its kinda pointless!

i would ditch the raptor as it approaches 80-100K thats when we start seeing the truck breaking down
Rolandt03 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 12:53 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 890
Default

I love my Raptor, wouldn’t trade it for any other truck. Stone, cold stock it’s a 450 hp beast. A lot of truck and a heck of a lot of fun to drive. It’s going to be tough to find one in a base configuration, unless special order, most are pretty loaded.
RUFcaptain is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 01:25 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 5,162
Default

Originally Posted by RUFcaptain View Post
I love my Raptor, wouldnít trade it for any other truck. Stone, cold stock itís a 450 hp beast. A lot of truck and a heck of a lot of fun to drive. Itís going to be tough to find one in a base configuration, unless special order, most are pretty loaded.
Definitely have to order it, no dealers around here have any without at least $10k plus worth of options.
MacCTD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 06:51 PM
  #12  
gf
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 12,750
Default

Originally Posted by MacCTD View Post
Thinking of ordering a Raptor...

Say what?
gf is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 11:01 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Gloucester,Ma USA
Posts: 10,681
Default

Originally Posted by tmd11111 View Post


the only feature not available on the raptor is the messaging seats on the king ranch. Outside of that it has everything else and more. Only reason itís towing capacity is limited to 8k is because of the suspension and tires. As for the engine it only comes with the 3.5ho and 4.11 gears. Itís a beast when it comes to power buts itís a gas hog as well
bingo!
Jay A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 03:05 PM
  #14  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 1
Default owner comment

Originally Posted by Jay A View Post
bingo!
Coming from someone who has owned one, the same one since 2010, it is an awesome truck! I have owned several F150 Super Crews before and would not go back. This truck has a tick over 50k and runs and drives like brand new. As a daily driver it also has all of the bells and whistles, if your going in go all the way. Sure you can have a "regular" F-150 but why if you can afford a RAPTOR? I would wait to see if 2020 brings back a big V8 though! My average gas mileage is 13.6 city. That is not bad in comparison to all other 4x4 pick ups out there-
LATT5133 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 03:19 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Gloucester,Ma USA
Posts: 10,681
Default

Originally Posted by LATT5133 View Post
Coming from someone who has owned one, the same one since 2010, it is an awesome truck! I have owned several F150 Super Crews before and would not go back. This truck has a tick over 50k and runs and drives like brand new. As a daily driver it also has all of the bells and whistles, if your going in go all the way. Sure you can have a "regular" F-150 but why if you can afford a RAPTOR? I would wait to see if 2020 brings back a big V8 though! My average gas mileage is 13.6 city. That is not bad in comparison to all other 4x4 pick ups out there-
My 2017 STX is getting 18.2 city. And this is a hilly winding road stop and start city!
Jay A is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 05:57 PM
  #16  
AC
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Fl.
Posts: 1,197
Default

I dont have a problem with the price of the Raptor. Been wanting one a long time. What bothers me is I can get 10k off a Loaded up F 350 diesel and they wont discount the Raptor. Also, the 5.5 bed is a deal breaker. Always had a 8 ft bed since 1974.

For me it is a bang for the buck issue. The only thing that would offset that is the Raptor had a 10k resale value over a Supetduty. It is all about cost of ownership. I still may own a Raptor someday.
AC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:17 AM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 34
Default

Ya, those Ford SVT vehicles like the Raptor and GT350's command a premium. I have a friend who has $80k in a GT350R. That's over invoice and they get it, I don't see me doing that just on principle but there are those who do. Stupid fast car by the way. Growls and rips off down the road like crazy, got a ride in it, loved it. He races it so cheap race car I guess. Also have a bud with the Raptor who let me drive it...wow. Just a lot of fun. Very quick and all those potholes just don't matter anymore. You have to ride or drive one to get it.
Jonesky is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Mandeville LA / Orange Beach AL
Posts: 3,119
Default

2018 Ford Raptor $75k +/-
or
Got my 2107 F150 STX crew cab used with 3K miles $26,500
New Bulls Bay Bay boat $28,000
New Sportsman CC $50,000

For 25K more I got two new boats and a new truck.
H2OBUG is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Atlanta/Destin
Posts: 222
Default

Originally Posted by Jay A View Post
My 2017 STX is getting 18.2 city. And this is a hilly winding road stop and start city!
I'm getting 15.8-16.0 in a 2018 Raptor very little interstate driving, just back and forth to the dealership, about 2 MPG less than the King Ranch I was driving.
N747JB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: MA
Posts: 5,162
Default

Originally Posted by H2OBUG View Post
2018 Ford Raptor $75k +/-
or
Got my 2107 F150 STX crew cab used with 3K miles $26,500
New Bulls Bay Bay boat $28,000
New Sportsman CC $50,000

For 25K more I got two new boats and a new truck.
You can get a new Raptor crew cab for $56k, it is a completely different truck from regular F150.
MacCTD is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: