Notices
Like Tree5Likes

5th Wheel vs Gooseneck.

Old 09-13-2018, 05:03 PM
  #21  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,369
Default

Originally Posted by cajflynn View Post
You guys aren't quoting me very well. I am not a fan of gn boat trailers. Why? Because gn trailers are meant to have lots of tongue weight on them which boat trailers don't have. You lose your bed. They are 8' longer and they cost more. If you are pulling 30k plus pounds you may need one, if not, you don't.

I don't need to jacknife my trailer. Not sure why anyone else would. The bumper pull also follows you around the corner instead of cutting it off. This means you don't have to take as wide of a turn.
Dry weight of boat approx 19,000 lbs, trailer 2,500, Ford F550, launch end of Feb recover end of OCT, distance San Dimas CA to Long Beach CA, minimal fuel or gear going and coming, off season storage no problem, guy live on a 1 1/2 acre.
Reel 007 is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 05:15 PM
  #22  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Palm
Posts: 5,765
Default

I pull boats out of boat ramps all the time that size. Here's one a little bigger going a lot farther. Mass to Florida and back every year. I think you can use any kind of trailer you like. You're not going far enough or often enough to over spend, imho.

Trailers tend to be cheaper in Florida. If you don't mind a boat heading out there on your new trailer, I can help you save a bunch of money. I recently purchased a brand new 40' 21k trailer and it was $12k. Alternatively, this Ameritrail might be good after a lot of fixing up. He already sold the lowboy so this should be cheap. Maritime Boat Transport Yacht Hauling Trailering

cajflynn is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 05:23 PM
  #23  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,369
Default

Originally Posted by cajflynn View Post
I pull boats out of boat ramps all the time that size. Here's one a little bigger going a lot farther. Mass to Florida and back every year. I think you can use any kind of trailer you like. You're not going far enough or often enough to over spend, imho.

Trailers tend to be cheaper in Florida. If you don't mind a boat heading out there on your new trailer, I can help you save a bunch of money. I recently purchased a brand new 40' 21k trailer and it was $12k. Alternatively, this Ameritrail might be good after a lot of fixing up. He already sold the lowboy so this should be cheap. Maritime Boat Transport Yacht Hauling Trailering

Gentleman is in the fabricating business, plan is to have Pacific Trailers built a C-channel frame and he will finish it himself, just not sure if Gooseneck or 5th wheel.
Reel 007 is offline  
Old 09-13-2018, 05:40 PM
  #24  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Palm
Posts: 5,765
Default

5th wheel is more stable the gn. But, it does take up more space.

I like Shadow Trailers in Southern Cali. Pacific used to use a lot of UFP parts and I'm really not a fan of that stuff.
cajflynn is offline  
Old 09-14-2018, 12:52 AM
  #25  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 332
Default

anywhere articulation might be required, GN will take the cake. Another benefit of GN is weight--5th wheel adapters are usually HEAVY and cannot be removed from a truck bed by 1 person. As far as towing manners go, both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I also suspect that improvements in suspension technology have helped close that gap some. Quite a few companies are now making 5th wheel to GN adapters, and lots of guys in the RV world are switching over. Historically, travel trailers have all been 5th wheel mainly due to stress on trailer frames that a GN hitch could cause, but hitch manufacturers have come up with some very easy solutions that can be hooked up and removed completely very fast, and are endorsed by the trailer mfg's. A nice benefit is being able to unhook at your destination, and have your bed space back in a matter of minutes by yourself.
kawakx125 is offline  
Old 09-14-2018, 08:15 AM
  #26  
DVR
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,710
Default

I have many thousands of miles towing under my belt. No commercial hauling experience.
When towing gooseneck trailers I'm always concerned about the hitch coming loose and that part of the trailer crashing through the cab.
Never had a problem and don't know anyone who has. Just one of those things that takes me out of my comfort zone. It probably goes back decades to my friends GN deckover with no safety chains. I was always scared when that trailer was hooked up, with good reason.
Used to have a bobcat with a forestry cutter. With the 25' gooseneck trailer it was ~18,500lbs.
DVR is offline  
Old 09-18-2018, 08:09 PM
  #27  
vc
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Welaka,FL
Posts: 1,900
Default

Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
anywhere articulation might be required, GN will take the cake. Another benefit of GN is weight--5th wheel adapters are usually HEAVY and cannot be removed from a truck bed by 1 person. As far as towing manners go, both have their advantages and disadvantages, but I also suspect that improvements in suspension technology have helped close that gap some. Quite a few companies are now making 5th wheel to GN adapters, and lots of guys in the RV world are switching over. Historically, travel trailers have all been 5th wheel mainly due to stress on trailer frames that a GN hitch could cause, but hitch manufacturers have come up with some very easy solutions that can be hooked up and removed completely very fast, and are endorsed by the trailer mfg's. A nice benefit is being able to unhook at your destination, and have your bed space back in a matter of minutes by yourself.
I understand there is adapters that let you hook up a 5th wheel to GN, but a question on that.
If you have a short bed truck, when you make hard turns like maneuvering the trailer into a spot, how do you deal with not being able to slide the trailer back to give your cab some room without hitting the trailer?
vc is offline  
Old 09-18-2018, 08:11 PM
  #28  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Palm
Posts: 5,765
Default

Originally Posted by vc View Post
I understand there is adapters that let you hook up a 5th wheel to GN, but a question on that.
If you have a short bed truck, when you make hard turns like maneuvering the trailer into a spot, how do you deal with not being able to slide the trailer back to give your cab some room without hitting the trailer?
Boat trailers aren't usually square in front.
cajflynn is offline  
Old 09-19-2018, 04:06 AM
  #29  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 2,086
Default


65,000 lbs on drives and tandems, 12,000 on steers for 77,000, yes, 5th wheel way to go!
Just having some fun!
caij is right, bumper pull for towing boats!
BWP
bluewaterposer is offline  
Old 09-19-2018, 04:56 AM
  #30  
vc
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Welaka,FL
Posts: 1,900
Default

Originally Posted by cajflynn View Post
Boat trailers aren't usually square in front.
sorry, I meant for towing a 5th wheel camper using the GN adapter.

thanks
vc is offline  
Old 09-19-2018, 05:26 AM
  #31  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 4,941
Default

Originally Posted by vc View Post


sorry, I meant for towing a 5th wheel camper using the GN adapter.

thanks
you would have to buy a truck with a longer bed. there is no adjustment for the GN.
Rolandt03 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread