Notices
Like Tree4Likes

3.55 or 3.73 Rear End on Ford F150

Reply

Old 07-30-2018, 06:22 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NOLA Brah
Posts: 1,569
Default 3.55 or 3.73 Rear End on Ford F150

Looking for some suggestions about the F150's. I'm looking to trade in my '04 F150 Lariat for a new one. If I go with a 4X4 and a 3.73 rear end, I can get a few hundred extra pounds of towing capacity. My current truck has a 3.55 rear end, but Ford does not offer a 3.73 in a 4X2 Lariat. So my question...what type of ride difference would I expect by having the bigger rear end and a 4X4 truck. One of the things I always loved about my '04 model was the beautiful ride it gave. Not sure I too anxious to lose that. Is the difference in these gears negligible or noticeable.
Rollo Tomassi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:33 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SWFL
Posts: 2,097
Default

I had an '05 F150 Lariat Supercrew with 4wd and 3.73 axle. I never drove a 2x, but thought my ride was very good for a truck.
phillyg is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 06:38 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,304
Default

I have a 15 F150 Lariot with 3.73 in it. It rids almost as nice as my 5 series. It’s still a truck but pretty nice.
Lorne Greene is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:05 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 749
Default

Don't forget to factor tire size into the comparison. Seems like trucks have larger wheels and tires these days. Final drive ratio is a combination of axle ratio and tire diameter. Here is a useful chart. gear ratio calculator
Ed54 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:16 PM
  #5  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
HarleyFLHP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: The great State of NC
Posts: 10,345
Default

I have a 2016 F-150 Reg Cab/Short bed 2wd with the 2.7 EB and 3.73 gears. The thing is a beast and averages around 20 mpg. Anything over 70 mph on the highway, brings the fuel economy below 20 mpg. The truck has an incredible amount of power and will tow up to 8k. I had 7k on the back and the power was never an issue.
bluewaterposer likes this.
HarleyFLHP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:32 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Louisiana and Morehead City N.C.
Posts: 10,633
Default

The Eco with the 355 is plenty of gear. To me its a good balance between the 331 and 373. The 5.0 would benefit more than the Eco with the 373.

With the new transmissions having so many gears the 373 to me isn't needed.
Boataholic likes this.
captain28570 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:39 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 304
Default

I have a 98 with 35s and 456 gears. Love it....

I have a 08 stock with 355....I wish it had 373

both 4wd
daughtrylc is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:46 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Louisiana and Morehead City N.C.
Posts: 10,633
Default

By the way I have had 3 Ecoboost. Pulling a 5000 pound boat it would break the tires lose. All 2 wheel drive with 355 gears. The down low torque of the Eco more than makes up for the 355 to 373 gear difference.

These half ton trucks might be rated for 12000 pounds or more. But really not happening .

10,000 pounds would be my max and flat areas to tow.
captain28570 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 11:46 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: OBX
Posts: 2,591
Default

with the 10 speed it won't really matter. With the 6 speed and an ecoboost it only matters a little, and the 3.55 is enough unless you're towing near max loads. 5.0 w/ 6 speed needs the 3.73 IMO.
Boataholic and billinstuart like this.
stowaway is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 01:49 PM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: WI
Posts: 44
Default

get the 3.73. you won't notice a difference in ride quality.

4x4 may make your ride a bit different then you are used to but still very smooth.

when you decide to change tires later to truck tires that may affect your ride, much more so then the 4x4 does.
avenger79 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:11 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location:
Posts: 1,348
Default

The most important feature to buy with a F150 is the max tow package which includes useful features at low price in the package. Although features change in model years, max tow came only with the 3.55 gear ratio in ‘17. With the 10 speed transmission, gear ratio is not important.
Inlander is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:05 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 5
Default

get the 3.73. Ride quality will be the same. If you mod to larger tires or what not you'll wish you had those gears. Personally I think 3.73's are the sweet spot for your average 1500 truck. Transmission gears also play a factor....
ADK91 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:11 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 1,932
Default

If you're going to tow, get 3.73's.
Brezinup is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:37 PM
  #14  
DAJ
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 26
Default

Can anyone confirm if they make the 2018 3.5 ecoboost with 3.73s? I've searched up and down and have only found 3.55s. Wondering if they only put them in the smaller motor trucks due to the 10 speed tranny.
DAJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:50 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 8,404
Default

Originally Posted by DAJ View Post
Can anyone confirm if they make the 2018 3.5 ecoboost with 3.73s? I've searched up and down and have only found 3.55s. Wondering if they only put them in the smaller motor trucks due to the 10 speed tranny.
3.73 Electronic Locking Axle Ratio is available on the following configurations:
• 3.3L Ti-VCT V6 engine, 4x2, with 122", 141", or 145" wheelbase
• 3.3L Ti-VCT V6 engine, 4x4, with 141", or 145" wheelbase
• 3.3L Ti-VCT V6 engine, 4x4, with 122" wheelbase
• 2.7L EcoBoost® V6 engine, 4x2, with 122", 141", 145", 157", or 163.7" wheelbase
• 2.7L EcoBoost® V6 engine, 4x4, with 122", 141", or 145" wheelbase
• 5.0L Ti-VCT V8 engine, 4x2, with 122", 141", 145", 157", or 163.7" wheelbase
• 5.0L Ti-VCT V8 engine, 4x4, with 122", 141", 145", 157", or 163.7" wheelbase
• 3.5L V6 EcoBoost® engine, 4x2, with 141", 145", 157", or 163.7" wheelbase
• 3.5L V6 EcoBoost® engine, 4x4, with 141", 145", 157", or 163.7" wheelbase

Looks like you have to select the Max Trailer Tow Package and/or the Heavy-Duty Payload Package and fall within the above configurations.
autobaun70 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:03 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NOLA Brah
Posts: 1,569
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
3.73 Electronic Locking Axle Ratio is available on the following configurations:
• 3.3L Ti-VCT V6 engine, 4x2, with 122", 141", or 145" wheelbase
• 3.3L Ti-VCT V6 engine, 4x4, with 141", or 145" wheelbase
• 3.3L Ti-VCT V6 engine, 4x4, with 122" wheelbase
• 2.7L EcoBoost® V6 engine, 4x2, with 122", 141", 145", 157", or 163.7" wheelbase
• 2.7L EcoBoost® V6 engine, 4x4, with 122", 141", or 145" wheelbase
• 5.0L Ti-VCT V8 engine, 4x2, with 122", 141", 145", 157", or 163.7" wheelbase
• 5.0L Ti-VCT V8 engine, 4x4, with 122", 141", 145", 157", or 163.7" wheelbase
• 3.5L V6 EcoBoost® engine, 4x2, with 141", 145", 157", or 163.7" wheelbase
• 3.5L V6 EcoBoost® engine, 4x4, with 141", 145", 157", or 163.7" wheelbase

Looks like you have to select the Max Trailer Tow Package and/or the Heavy-Duty Payload Package and fall within the above configurations.
According to the 2018 Ford Brochure I have, the 3.73 rear end is available with the 3.5 V6 Ecoboost, in4x2 or 4x4. Any you do have to order the heavy duty tow package or max tow package as well.
Rollo Tomassi is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:11 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Central Florida (Longwood)
Posts: 1,316
Default

I have F150 with the 3.73 rear end and max towing capacity. The truck rides like a Cadillac. Get the 3.73.
PXMAN is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 12:10 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 177
Default

Originally Posted by Rollo Tomassi View Post
Looking for some suggestions about the F150's. I'm looking to trade in my '04 F150 Lariat for a new one. If I go with a 4X4 and a 3.73 rear end, I can get a few hundred extra pounds of towing capacity. My current truck has a 3.55 rear end, but Ford does not offer a 3.73 in a 4X2 Lariat. So my question...what type of ride difference would I expect by having the bigger rear end and a 4X4 truck. One of the things I always loved about my '04 model was the beautiful ride it gave. Not sure I too anxious to lose that. Is the difference in these gears negligible or noticeable.
The 3.73s are available with the 5.0 and 2.7 Ecoboost. To get 3.73s with the 3.5L Ecoboost, you also have to opt for the heavy duty payload package which I believe is only available in the lower trims (XL and XLT). With the 3.5 Ecoboost, the max tow package and 3.55s are fine.

Originally Posted by DAJ View Post
Can anyone confirm if they make the 2018 3.5 ecoboost with 3.73s? I've searched up and down and have only found 3.55s. Wondering if they only put them in the smaller motor trucks due to the 10 speed tranny.
They do, but it's only available with the heavy duty payload package.
acala91 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:37 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Marathon Florida
Posts: 2,229
Default

The time when you notice the difference between a 3.55 and a 3.73 is when you roll to a stop going very slowly. It is noticeable. Other than that it's a great set up.
keysdiver is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 05:33 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 921
Default

I have a 2017 Limited Expy with 3.5EB and 3.73's. It pulls my little 22 like it is not even back there.
JFam is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: