Notices

Bearing Buddies

Old 06-25-2018, 08:08 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 55
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Bearing Buddies

I have lost 3 bearing buddies on my trailer. They are sized correctly and i assumed installed correctly. Anyone else having this issue? Any help on keeping them on?
Thanks
Old 06-25-2018, 08:41 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Chapel Hill and PKS, North Carolina
Posts: 6,900
Received 255 Likes on 157 Posts
Default

Maybe you are pumping too much pressure in there. I have seen guys drill and tap a hole through the lip of the hub, and install small set screws.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:13 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: greenville, nc, usa
Posts: 476
Likes: 0
Received 34 Likes on 19 Posts
Default

A small bead of 5200 on the BB worked for me when I was losing them. Put the BB most of the way on, put a small bead of 5200 along the flange and then hammer the rest of the way tight. No, the 5200 will not prevent you from being able to remove it later.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:30 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Beaufort, NC
Posts: 346
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts
Default

Make the switch to posi-lube style hubs and the problem is solved.
Likes:
Old 06-25-2018, 09:53 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Huntersville, NC
Posts: 873
Received 465 Likes on 229 Posts
Default

Oil bath is the way to go. Probably need new spindles to make the switch but worth the investment from my experience.
Likes:
Old 06-25-2018, 10:46 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 653
Received 181 Likes on 108 Posts
Default

On a past boat, I had a terrible time keeping bearing buddies on my hubs. I built what I dubbed "Buddy Keepers," and never had another problem. Basically a plumbing fitting I found at Home Cheapo for connecting two different diameters of pipe. IIRC, there was a small lip in the middle I shaved out with a razor blade, and I had to cut it shorter on both ends. Also had to shorten the "Bras," and added a zip-tie to the bra for a little extra grip.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:34 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 148
Likes: 0
Received 69 Likes on 34 Posts
Default

Iíve never had an issue with losing them, are you guys sure someone isnít stealing them when you are out fishing?
Likes:
Old 06-25-2018, 03:05 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: west tn
Posts: 888
Received 1,603 Likes on 753 Posts
Default

3 in how long? I'm betting you might be putting to much grease in them. Do you pump just enough grease in them to make the cup move out and slightly compress the spring? That's the way the system works, just that slight bit of pressure from the spring pressurizes the hub and helps keep water out. It also allows room to expand & contract with heat/cooling of the grease, bearings and hub. It's a very common mis-conception to fill the hubs with grease until the spring stops moving. Many think they are then "full". What that does is overfill the hub with grease, then when the hub expands while running it either blows out the rear seal and/or pushes the BB off the front of the hub.
Likes:
Old 06-25-2018, 03:05 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 653
Received 181 Likes on 108 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Senate View Post
Iíve never had an issue with losing them, are you guys sure someone isnít stealing them when you are out fishing?
I'm quite certain. There when I left home, gone by the time I was at the ramp. I even saw one fly-off in the rear view mirror one time. I came to the theory that they're really not well-suited to be removed and reinstalled. It seems new ones would stay, but if I removed them to service the bearings, they wouldn't stay as well.
Old 06-25-2018, 10:36 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 822
Likes: 0
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Default

Yes. Your hubs are slightly deformed. Happens when you remove the bearing buddies by tapping on the sides to walk them out of the hub. To fix, after you install a bearing buddy, tap around the edge of the hub with a hammer. Don't have to pound it; moderate tapping about twice around the circumference will re-form the hub around the buddy.
Old 06-26-2018, 12:58 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location:
Posts: 1,706
Likes: 0
Received 142 Likes on 114 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr View Post
3 in how long? I'm betting you might be putting to much grease in them. Do you pump just enough grease in them to make the cup move out and slightly compress the spring? That's the way the system works, just that slight bit of pressure from the spring pressurizes the hub and helps keep water out. It also allows room to expand & contract with heat/cooling of the grease, bearings and hub. It's a very common mis-conception to fill the hubs with grease until the spring stops moving. Many think they are then "full". What that does is overfill the hub with grease, then when the hub expands while running it either blows out the rear seal and/or pushes the BB off the front of the hub.
This ^^^^^

I NEVER completely fill my hub. I fill about halfway (ie, when the spring Center is about halfway extended); and add only when low.

I suspect the majority of bearing failures is not caused by poor maintenance but rather is caused by overzealous overfill. You read bearing threads and the majority are always preaching things like adding grease at the beginning of season, before long trips, etc. No wonder there are so many bearing failures.
Old 06-26-2018, 01:11 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 907
Received 377 Likes on 201 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Inlander View Post


This ^^^^^

I NEVER completely fill my hub. I fill about halfway (ie, when the spring Center is about halfway extended); and add only when low.

I suspect the majority of bearing failures is not caused by poor maintenance but rather is caused by overzealous overfill. You read bearing threads and the majority are always preaching things like adding grease at the beginning of season, before long trips, etc. No wonder there are so many bearing failures.
Add when low? Where does your grease go?

Here the the proper procedure for bearing buddies.
1. Pick them up
2. Throw them in the trash
3. Put on a posi lube hub or spindle
4. Go fishing
Likes:
Old 06-26-2018, 01:50 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Mobile AL.
Posts: 137
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default

Just take a sharp center punch and from the inside of your BB about 1/2" in from the edge put 4 evenly spaced dimples facing outward and they will stay in the hub.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:00 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location:
Posts: 1,706
Likes: 0
Received 142 Likes on 114 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by joshd472 View Post
Add when low? Where does your grease go?

Here the the proper procedure for bearing buddies.
1. Pick them up
2. Throw them in the trash
3. Put on a posi lube hub or spindle
4. Go fishing
fyi there is a tiny loss of grease via the margins that may warrant a little regreasing once in several years.

I have about 70,000 miles on my bearings and seal set without any maintenance, so thank you,
I will stay with what I have.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:24 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,716
Received 242 Likes on 196 Posts
Default

posilube works better anyay.

Not arguing, but the only ones I lost were two on one trip, and they were the wrong size, too small. Lost in first 10 miles. What scares me is I saw a car behind me switch lanes as thoigh maybe dodging that lb of steel and a spray of grease.

It is also possible to knock them off if you get too close to a solid object.
Old 06-26-2018, 07:25 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 907
Received 377 Likes on 201 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Inlander View Post


fyi there is a tiny loss of grease via the margins that may warrant a little regreasing once in several years.

I have about 70,000 miles on my bearings and seal set without any maintenance, so thank you,
I will stay with what I have.
So you use the same bearings for years with out ever taking them out to inspect them or repack and put in fresh grease?
Old 06-27-2018, 04:49 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NY
Posts: 598
Likes: 0
Received 125 Likes on 72 Posts
Default

I lost two bearing buddies off the same wheel on a tandem axle trailer. Never overfilled them. Replaced the hub and that solved the problem.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:11 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Sunny florida
Posts: 23,963
Received 4,983 Likes on 3,199 Posts
Default

Don't buy them at Harbor Freight! Buy the real ones.
Old 06-27-2018, 09:39 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location:
Posts: 1,706
Likes: 0
Received 142 Likes on 114 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by joshd472 View Post


So you use the same bearings for years with out ever taking them out to inspect them or repack and put in fresh grease?
Correct. Furthermore, they have a 100,000 mile warranty, and the warranty is extinguished if the owner removes and maintains bearings and seals.
Old 06-27-2018, 11:35 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 822
Likes: 0
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts
Default

Again, tap around the hub with a hammer and it will hold just fine.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.