Notices
Like Tree7Likes

Duramax LBZ 100hp tune

Old 06-16-2018, 10:13 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 991
Default Duramax LBZ 100hp tune

I know I post too much about my truck, but I'm kind of concerned about this...

Just got the truck back from the shop. New turbo, EGR delete, and they also installed a Kory Willis PPEI EFI live 100hp tune. The main purpose of the tune is to keep the MIL off due to the EGR delete.

My concern- Everyone has told me that any power over stock in a Duramax, and the Allison wont hold up too long. I wasn't aware the tune they put in added 100hp until I picked it up. Im not trying to win races.. I just want the truck to be reliable to tow and work. The shop did tell me though that the tune will not harm the truck whatsoever, even when I specifically asked about potential transmission problems. What do y'all think? If it's gonna need a built trans then I'm gonna have them take the tune back because I don't want to deal with that stuff.

again, sorry for all the posts lol. I just want to make this thing reliable as possible as it is going to be towing a lot this summer
Manoverboard123 is offline  
Old 06-16-2018, 10:30 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: On the Flats
Posts: 7,222
Default

You have an extra 100hp.....but if you don’t get on it hard and use those horses all the time you will be fine.
fiveeyes likes this.
Flatout71 is offline  
Old 06-16-2018, 10:40 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 991
Default

Originally Posted by Flatout71 View Post
You have an extra 100hp.....but if you don’t get on it hard and use those horses all the time you will be fine.
Yeah like I said I don't hot rod and dog my trucks. I just use them what they are used for. But this thing is my daily driver and tow vehicle so I don't want to have a rig behind me 600 miles from home and fry the trans
Manoverboard123 is offline  
Old 06-16-2018, 10:42 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 991
Default

One thing I did notice, this thing shifts MILLION TIMES smoother with that tune. It's just so smooth and hardly even feel it shift
Manoverboard123 is offline  
Old 06-16-2018, 10:45 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 456
Default

Do you have the EFI live tuner? What year truck?
Ianl931 is offline  
Old 06-16-2018, 11:01 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 991
Default

No sir, the tune is downloaded into the ECM. 2006 Silverado 2500HD, LBZ Duramax/Allison 1000 6 speed
Manoverboard123 is offline  
Old 06-16-2018, 02:43 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location:
Posts: 11,193
Default

I've always heard that 100 hp is right on the edge. Some get away with it, others end up with their Allison in limp mode - and once it does that, it's time to build it.
Back-in-Black is offline  
Old 06-16-2018, 03:35 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: St. Pete FL
Posts: 3,282
Default

100hp is right at the limit of what the stock trans can handle I would of done a multi tune flash with a dsp5 switch so you can select which tune you want with a turn on a knob.
clamc and Rolandt03 like this.
suzuki140 is offline  
Old 06-16-2018, 06:03 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 991
Default

Originally Posted by suzuki140 View Post
100hp is right at the limit of what the stock trans can handle I would of done a multi tune flash with a dsp5 switch so you can select which tune you want with a turn on a knob.
Thing is though, NOBODY told me that this tune added 100hp until I picked the damn truck up! If I would have known, I would have told them to put some kind of switch on it to turn the damn thing off when I don't want it. How much do you think I could get a switch for to put on it so I can turn the tune off and on?

I'll have to admit though... I was having the time of my life yesterday with that truck. I don't run the truck hard or hot rod it, but yesterday was a bit different. This freakin MOVES now. That turbo and tune woke the truck up. Truck will tear you a new asshole now. I just got back about 10 mins ago from making about a 300 mile road trip. Holy hell, this thing runs so much better. Passing on the interstate, no problem.

But again, I'm not racing or hot rodding. I might call the shop back Monday and ask them about the tune again. If push comes to shove, I'll have them take the tune back off and put something on there that will keep the MIL off without adding power. I know it's kind of backwards to hear that, but I REALLY don't want to have to build the trans and what not. The thing shifts so much smoother with this tune, but I still don't trust putting my foot into it often. I

To turn the tables though... I have a friend with a 6.7 Cummins with the stock trans (not an Aisen). Truck is a 2008. He's been running a Kory Willis 185hp tune for a good while now and no damage done. Kind of has me thinking.. Knowing how weak those Cummins trannys are, that Allison has to hold 100hp.. I've also read that Kory Willis designs "trans safe" tunes. Maybe that's what I got. I'm calling the shop Monday to discuss this again because I'm not blowing my transmission up.......
Manoverboard123 is offline  
Old 06-16-2018, 06:08 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Georgetown, Georgia
Posts: 1,441
Default

If you are worried about the Allison, install a oversize pan, use nothing but full synthetic fluid and change the fluid at least every 50K miles
bhales likes this.
dihrah is offline  
Old 06-16-2018, 07:40 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: St. Pete FL
Posts: 3,282
Default

Originally Posted by Manoverboard123 View Post
Thing is though, NOBODY told me that this tune added 100hp until I picked the damn truck up! If I would have known, I would have told them to put some kind of switch on it to turn the damn thing off when I don't want it. How much do you think I could get a switch for to put on it so I can turn the tune off and on?

I'll have to admit though... I was having the time of my life yesterday with that truck. I don't run the truck hard or hot rod it, but yesterday was a bit different. This freakin MOVES now. That turbo and tune woke the truck up. Truck will tear you a new asshole now. I just got back about 10 mins ago from making about a 300 mile road trip. Holy hell, this thing runs so much better. Passing on the interstate, no problem.

But again, I'm not racing or hot rodding. I might call the shop back Monday and ask them about the tune again. If push comes to shove, I'll have them take the tune back off and put something on there that will keep the MIL off without adding power. I know it's kind of backwards to hear that, but I REALLY don't want to have to build the trans and what not. The thing shifts so much smoother with this tune, but I still don't trust putting my foot into it often. I

To turn the tables though... I have a friend with a 6.7 Cummins with the stock trans (not an Aisen). Truck is a 2008. He's been running a Kory Willis 185hp tune for a good while now and no damage done. Kind of has me thinking.. Knowing how weak those Cummins trannys are, that Allison has to hold 100hp.. I've also read that Kory Willis designs "trans safe" tunes. Maybe that's what I got. I'm calling the shop Monday to discuss this again because I'm not blowing my transmission up.......
You would need them to flash the truck with the muti tune file which allows the different maps in the ECM to be changed on the fly the switch is $40.If they have the flash scan tool they can upload the multi tune file in your truck so you wouldn't have to buy a autocal which is $400 alone the multi tune file has 5 tunes stock,tow,heavy tow,street and race the dsp5 tune file is $250 bucks for PPEI.I would invest in a monitoring device I like the edge insight CTS I have both CTS and CTS 2 and I'd add the EGT probe in the exhaust especially when towing you want to know what the exhaust gas temp is that I install in the exhaust manifold.

The 100hp tune is fine when you want to just daily drive and what not but I wouldn't tow with it with the switch you can just turn the (HP) knob left or right for whatever tune you want.The switch plugs into the ECM harness into the ECM which allows the maps to be changed with the switch.
suzuki140 is offline  
Old 06-16-2018, 08:03 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: One bridge south of Clearwater Beach
Posts: 1,103
Default

Originally Posted by suzuki140 View Post


You would need them to flash the truck with the muti tune file which allows the different maps in the ECM to be changed on the fly the switch is $40.If they have the flash scan tool they can upload the multi tune file in your truck so you wouldn't have to buy a autocal which is $400 alone the multi tune file has 5 tunes stock,tow,heavy tow,street and race the dsp5 tune file is $250 bucks for PPEI.I would invest in a monitoring device I like the edge insight CTS I have both CTS and CTS 2 and I'd add the EGT probe in the exhaust especially when towing you want to know what the exhaust gas temp is that I install in the exhaust manifold.

The 100hp tune is fine when you want to just daily drive and what not but I wouldn't tow with it with the switch you can just turn the (HP) knob left or right for whatever tune you want.The switch plugs into the ECM harness into the ECM which allows the maps to be changed with the switch.
I can vouch for this as Wes (Suzuki140) installed the tune on my 2006 LBZ with the 5 position switch. I leave it in position 2 99% of the time....it was/is fun for a brief second in position 5 as it does add a shitload of power and makes it fly.
Diverboy is offline  
Old 06-16-2018, 08:13 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: St. Pete FL
Posts: 3,282
Default

Originally Posted by Diverboy View Post


I can vouch for this as Wes (Suzuki140) installed the tune on my 2006 LBZ with the 5 position switch. I leave it in position 2 99% of the time....it was/is fun for a brief second in position 5 as it does add a shitload of power and makes it fly.
Your truck is pretty quick for how big it is especially with the heavy 19.5 wheels and tires hope the cruise is still working for you.
suzuki140 is offline  
Old 06-17-2018, 06:09 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,913
Default

Im not sure if it's the increase in peak tq or hp that might hurt the trans.

If it's the hp, then find a graph of the house curve and don't drive it wot near that rpm.
billinstuart likes this.
ericinmich is offline  
Old 06-17-2018, 06:19 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 278
Default

Originally Posted by suzuki140 View Post
100hp is right at the limit of what the stock trans can handle I would of done a multi tune flash with a dsp5 switch so you can select which tune you want with a turn on a knob.
I tuned duramaxes for a few years, have hundreds of tunes out there. The worst thing you can do to an Allison is put a dsp5 switch in. The trans adapts to the driving style and power level to deliver smooth shifts. Drive it like grandma all week, shifts are lazy and prolonged, switch it up to big power and beat on it and watch your trans temps climb. Just put a good tune in and drive it. My personal truck had 850 to the wheels. Same tune drove it 1000 miles to an event.
SCGamecox likes this.
Jdow is offline  
Old 06-17-2018, 02:06 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winterville & MHC, NC
Posts: 4,655
Default

Your transmission will be fine with a 100HP tune. I have run a 120-130 HP tune on all three of my Duramaxs, all with Allison 1000s. I wouldn't worry about it.
ytmorris is online now  
Old 06-17-2018, 06:44 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Between Richmond and Williamsburg
Posts: 2,964
Default

You will be fine. That year Allison is fine until you get up or over 600 hp, and you arent there
ytmorris likes this.
twobyfour is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 06:17 AM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 4,950
Default

Originally Posted by suzuki140 View Post


You would need them to flash the truck with the muti tune file which allows the different maps in the ECM to be changed on the fly the switch is $40.If they have the flash scan tool they can upload the multi tune file in your truck so you wouldn't have to buy a autocal which is $400 alone the multi tune file has 5 tunes stock,tow,heavy tow,street and race the dsp5 tune file is $250 bucks for PPEI.I would invest in a monitoring device I like the edge insight CTS I have both CTS and CTS 2 and I'd add the EGT probe in the exhaust especially when towing you want to know what the exhaust gas temp is that I install in the exhaust manifold.

The 100hp tune is fine when you want to just daily drive and what not but I wouldn't tow with it with the switch you can just turn the (HP) knob left or right for whatever tune you want.The switch plugs into the ECM harness into the ECM which allows the maps to be changed with the switch.

this! spend a little more and do it right! technically with out the switch its not really efi live, its just a tune. i believe you do a fair amount of towing, if your set on 100hp tune and trying to tow on the wrong mapping ( ex. trying to tow 15k lbs on the wrong setting could cause issue like burning up a piston). you need the switch or the cts to control your tunes. i went with the cts for easy plug and play as well as the extra gauges. i select my tune levels right from the cts screen.
Rolandt03 is online now  
Old 06-18-2018, 06:59 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 820
Default

Originally Posted by twobyfour View Post
You will be fine. That year Allison is fine until you get up or over 600 hp, and you arent there

Wrong. This misinformation guys post on here drives me crazy. OP if you tow with the tune you will fry the converter, it's just a matter of time. Do like the others said get DSP5 switch.
joshd472 is offline  
Old 06-18-2018, 08:13 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winterville & MHC, NC
Posts: 4,655
Default

Originally Posted by joshd472 View Post
Wrong. This misinformation guys post on here drives me crazy. OP if you tow with the tune you will fry the converter, it's just a matter of time. Do like the others said get DSP5 switch.
What is your level of expertise? I have had 3 Allison 1000's, all with tunes, and tow regularly. Anything from 4000-12000 is common on a weekly basis. I dont drive like a moron while towing though. I have a switch on my current truck but never did before and never had an issue.

Not saying you are wrong but most people in the know agree that the Allison will take around 600 HP with no problem. You start creeping over that, and you will likely have a problem but then again you are getting into lift pump territory along with a host of other things.
ytmorris is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread