The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Like Tree2Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2018, 04:23 AM   #1
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Grenloch / Cape May NJ
Posts: 97
Default Long range tow NJ to NC

Looking for advice for a long range tow in March.
Cape may NJ to Atlantic beach NC distance of roughly 450 miles
Boat is 27' Ocean Master 8'6" beam twin G2 200 hp boat is around 7500 with gear and all
Tow vehicle is 2003 f-350 6.0 4x4 deleted, new ficum,oil cooler and front end.
trailer is 2008 Real X triple Axle 18000 lb capacity. Outside of the obvious spare tire jack and blocks for trailer what else should consider? (I will go over all electrical connections and grease hubs before I leave)
I will be taking route 113 along eastern Shore of Va through bay Bridge tunnel to NC 17. any suggestion or 1st hand experiences are appreciated. Thanks Greg
gregorymacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:06 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 425
Default

Spare hub with bearings
Grease gun
2 spares for trailer
Cordless impact gun
Temp gun to check hubs at fuel stops

Where do you dock in Cape May?
I am in Schooner Island Marina, Wildwood
Captainbadfinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:09 AM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 44
Default

May seem obvious, but put together a good tool box of tools.

And don't bother being in a hurry, it increases the chance of failure and more importantly from a vacation standpoint, it increases your stress.
Smitty_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:22 AM   #4
Admirals Club
THT sponsor
iTrader: (1)
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Palm
Posts: 4,289
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Sometimes 95 is a lot faster.
cajflynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:51 AM   #5
gf
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: North of Boston
Posts: 12,335
Default

That's not a particularly "long range" tow just 1 long day.

Can you put that whole rig on the Cape May - Lewes Ferry or will you drive around? The difference is like 150 miles.

As mentioned above, just take your time and enjoy the ride.
gf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 06:58 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainbadfinger View Post
Spare hub with bearings
Grease gun
2 spares for trailer
Cordless impact gun
Temp gun to check hubs at fuel stops

Where do you dock in Cape May?
I am in Schooner Island Marina, Wildwood
In addition to this take all of the lugs off at home and put back on before you leave. That way if you get a flat you are not dealing with a rusted lug on the side of the road.
Lorne Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:08 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne Greene View Post
In addition to this take all of the lugs off at home and put back on before you leave. That way if you get a flat you are not dealing with a rusted lug on the side of the road.
Great advice
Captainbadfinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:26 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainbadfinger View Post
Great advice
Ask me how I know....
Lorne Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:28 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainbadfinger View Post
Spare hub with bearings
Grease gun
2 spares for trailer
Cordless impact gun
Temp gun to check hubs at fuel stops

Where do you dock in Cape May?
I am in Schooner Island Marina, Wildwood
I would also have the following

-breaker bar
-socket for your hub nut
-bottle jack with stands and chock
-liquid wrench
-can or two of break clean (you will appreciate this if you get messy)
Lorne Greene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 07:31 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 311
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajflynn View Post
Sometimes 95 is a lot faster.
I 2nd 95. That's a lot of stop an go with that rig
Maranvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:22 AM   #11
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Grenloch / Cape May NJ
Posts: 97
Default

Fellas thanks for the advice. I have property in beaufort county and much prefer the eastern shore drive it is on average faster than 95. I will defiantly take my time I figure it will be around 9 hours. Usually takes me 7hrs. The rig will fit on the ferry. But ferry really saves no time believe or not. I dock out of hinch marina in cape may.
gregorymacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 08:53 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,320
Default

Piece of cake
54bullwinkle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 10:54 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chesapeake
Posts: 2,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorymacc View Post
Looking for advice for a long range tow in March.
Cape may NJ to Atlantic beach NC distance of roughly 450 miles
Boat is 27' Ocean Master 8'6" beam twin G2 200 hp boat is around 7500 with gear and all
Tow vehicle is 2003 f-350 6.0 4x4 deleted, new ficum,oil cooler and front end.
trailer is 2008 Real X triple Axle 18000 lb capacity. Outside of the obvious spare tire jack and blocks for trailer what else should consider? (I will go over all electrical connections and grease hubs before I leave)
I will be taking route 113 along eastern Shore of Va through bay Bridge tunnel to NC 17. any suggestion or 1st hand experiences are appreciated. Thanks Greg
You certainly have the right tools for the job.

In addition to all of the above suggestions: Tire pressure. Tire pressure. Tire pressure.

I like to have at least two sets of wheel chocks when towing my tandem.

Sounds like a fun trip.
The Spit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:14 AM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Oakdale, NY
Posts: 40
Default

How old are the trailer tires? Depending on age, you might want to replace. Good luck.
MR.STEEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,061
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorne Greene View Post
In addition to this take all of the lugs off at home and put back on before you leave. That way if you get a flat you are not dealing with a rusted lug on the side of the road.

Thank you, I am also planning a tow to NC in the Spring. Funny thing, I would never have thought of this very smart move.
muskrattown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Chesapeake
Posts: 2,296
Default

Also....

By March, you can probably make the entire trip in daylight. But I like to have a hands-free head-lamp/flashlight in case I'm working along a remote roadside in the dark. And it's nice to have some flares or reflective triangles that you can set a hundred feet or more back behind the trailer to warn on-coming vehicles that you're working there.

I also secure a 2.5 gallon jug of gas inside the boat, just in case.
The Spit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #17
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Grenloch / Cape May NJ
Posts: 97
Default

All great suggestions all advice is appreciated
gregorymacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 01:54 PM   #18
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Apex NC
Posts: 1,734
Default

zip ties , duct tape, safety wire, a few 6x6 blocks of wood
Holy Smoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 425
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregorymacc View Post
Fellas thanks for the advice. I have property in beaufort county and much prefer the eastern shore drive it is on average faster than 95. I will defiantly take my time I figure it will be around 9 hours. Usually takes me 7hrs. The rig will fit on the ferry. But ferry really saves no time believe or not. I dock out of hinch marina in cape may.
Hinches,nice
We are good friend with Chuck,Mary and Rusty
Great people
Have also won a few or their Tournaments
Captainbadfinger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 11:22 AM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 2
Default

I travel that rout 4 time a month for the past 7 years. Gas stations trailer friendly & State rest stops as well along the entire trip. Where are you keeping it in AB?
JBK4001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:54 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.