The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Go Back   >
Search


Like Tree30Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2017, 11:28 AM   #81
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bradenton FL
Posts: 1,833
Default

Somebody please purchase the new F150 Diesel. There's not enough threads about Ford Diesels blowing up already in THT. We need more.
lazyboi1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #82
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 2,546
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back-in-Black View Post
Tow ratings have so much more to do with things like transmissions, rear axle ratios, etc than they do the actual engine.
I had a TBI 5.7 2500 suburban that was rated for 10,000lbs but could not get out of its own way. I actually blew out both exhaust manifold gaskets from towing.
dell30rb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:46 AM   #83
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baltimore md
Posts: 1,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dell30rb View Post
I had a TBI 5.7 2500 suburban that was rated for 10,000lbs but could not get out of its own way. I actually blew out both exhaust manifold gaskets from towing.
Not really comparing apples to apples. The gas engines of today are literally twice as powerful as the 5.7 which hasnt been used in gm trucks for nearly 20 years. The Eco boost would hamnmer that old 5.7 in every way shape or form. We can argue longevity all day long but please let's not confuse the engines today vs the engines of the 80's and 90's.
sonickevin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 11:52 AM   #84
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baltimore md
Posts: 1,861
Default

Heck while were all talking numbers here. The Eco boost and the 6.2 v8 both have nearly as much torque with much less displacement and weight with almost double the horsepower then the 7.3 power stroke.
sonickevin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:01 PM   #85
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Largo, FL
Posts: 1,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj06bolt12r View Post
Fact... The diesel is roughly a $6k premium
About $5K, and only if you pay MSRP. I paid significantly less. And less than I've seen some F-150s going for.

Quote:
Fact... The turbocharged diesel is under powered compared to its naturally aspirated gas counterpart even at high altitude. That is sad after you paid $6k for an engine "upgrade"
Not when comparing torque. I assume that you are referring to the TFL test on the Ike. That was over a year ago, and there have been significant software updates to address power delivery issues since then. I can only address the most recent one which was done when I got my first oil change (Cost? See next bullet). The reflash made a significant difference in feel, but I don't know what it would do on the Ike, as I live in FL.

Quote:
Fact... The diesel only gets 1 mpg better fuel mileage while towing than the gas engine. It gets a little over 2 mpg better when empty. Factor in higher maintenance costs and you will make your $6k back in fuel costs.... never. That is sad.
Numbers I've seen posted for gas highway are not too far off from what I'm averaging around town with regens included. But, mileage wasn't the main factor when considering this truck. I wanted to get mileage at least where I was with my Tundra. I'd get 13 around town and around 17 on the highway. With the XD, it's more like 15 and 21 (including regens).

Oh, and the maintenance costs were a consideration. My first oil change came to a grand total of $0. Not including consumables (tires, batteries, etc.) my total cost on maintenance will be $700 for 7 years/120K miles. Dealership I bought from offers free oil, filter changes for life, and I bought the additional maintenance package for $700. Which will cover the items Nissan recommends that aren't included in the oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1987 View Post
FWIW I don't see the point of the Titan at all with either engine. Seems to be a little bit better than the half done trucks and worse than the 3/4 ton trucks, while being as expensive as the 3/4 ton trucks.
The 3/4 ton trucks were significantly more than the deal I was able to get on my XD. Granted, Nissan was offering some pretty good incentives at the time to try to get the trucks out there. I'm seeing more and more on the road, so some of those incentives may not be available anymore, so that may be different today.

For years, I towed my boat with a Toyota Tundra with the 5.7L V-8. The truck had plenty of power, but towing wasn't exactly comfortable for a couple of reasons. I really felt the boat back there. Every bump was transmitted by the trailer to the truck. I still had some suspension travel, but I felt like it was at it's limit suspension wise, with noticeable squat. While the engine had enough power to get the boat moving, and was fine around town, I grew to hate taking it on the highway. Cruise was pretty much useless as the transmission was constantly hunting. I couldn't just simply hit Tow/Haul, then hit cruise.

With the XD, it's quite a difference. Very little shock compression when towing. Basically brings me level front and back. Power wise, the Cummins doesn't brake a sweat. My indication that I'm asking more of it is slightly higher boost pressure, and more engine braking when in Tow mode. The engine isn't screaming like my Tundra did, it's just cruising along at around 1800 rpms. It is so much more composed. Long distance tows with my Tundra were a firm two-handed grip on the steering wheel. With the XD, I often find myself simply resting my arm on the steering wheel. It is so much more relaxed. This is where the XD makes sense. At least for me.
Belzelbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:09 PM   #86
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baltimore md
Posts: 1,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzelbub View Post
About $5K, and only if you pay MSRP. I paid significantly less. And less than I've seen some F-150s going for.

Not when comparing torque. I assume that you are referring to the TFL test on the Ike. That was over a year ago, and there have been significant software updates to address power delivery issues since then. I can only address the most recent one which was done when I got my first oil change (Cost? See next bullet). The reflash made a significant difference in feel, but I don't know what it would do on the Ike, as I live in FL.

Numbers I've seen posted for gas highway are not too far off from what I'm averaging around town with regens included. But, mileage wasn't the main factor when considering this truck. I wanted to get mileage at least where I was with my Tundra. I'd get 13 around town and around 17 on the highway. With the XD, it's more like 15 and 21 (including regens).

Oh, and the maintenance costs were a consideration. My first oil change came to a grand total of $0. Not including consumables (tires, batteries, etc.) my total cost on maintenance will be $700 for 7 years/120K miles. Dealership I bought from offers free oil, filter changes for life, and I bought the additional maintenance package for $700. Which will cover the items Nissan recommends that aren't included in the oil change.

The 3/4 ton trucks were significantly more than the deal I was able to get on my XD. Granted, Nissan was offering some pretty good incentives at the time to try to get the trucks out there. I'm seeing more and more on the road, so some of those incentives may not be available anymore, so that may be different today.

For years, I towed my boat with a Toyota Tundra with the 5.7L V-8. The truck had plenty of power, but towing wasn't exactly comfortable for a couple of reasons. I really felt the boat back there. Every bump was transmitted by the trailer to the truck. I still had some suspension travel, but I felt like it was at it's limit suspension wise, with noticeable squat. While the engine had enough power to get the boat moving, and was fine around town, I grew to hate taking it on the highway. Cruise was pretty much useless as the transmission was constantly hunting. I couldn't just simply hit Tow/Haul, then hit cruise.

With the XD, it's quite a difference. Very little shock compression when towing. Basically brings me level front and back. Power wise, the Cummins doesn't brake a sweat. My indication that I'm asking more of it is slightly higher boost pressure, and more engine braking when in Tow mode. The engine isn't screaming like my Tundra did, it's just cruising along at around 1800 rpms. It is so much more composed. Long distance tows with my Tundra were a firm two-handed grip on the steering wheel. With the XD, I often find myself simply resting my arm on the steering wheel. It is so much more relaxed. This is where the XD makes sense. At least for me.
Not trying to get into an argument here but please keep in mind there is no such thing as free oil changes. Thats the biggest scam in the world. You are paying for them, you just don't see it on paper.
aj06bolt12r likes this.
sonickevin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:32 PM   #87
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bradenton FL
Posts: 1,833
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonickevin95 View Post
Not trying to get into an argument here but please keep in mind there is no such thing as free oil changes. Thats the biggest scam in the world. You are paying for them, you just don't see it on paper.
Yes they did this to me on the wife's car. She only has to wait 2-4 hours on her day off for her "free" oil change. Never again.
aj06bolt12r likes this.
lazyboi1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #88
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: St. Aug FL
Posts: 321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj06bolt12r View Post
Wicked was saying that he got away from the Ecoboost and went to the 5.0 because he was willing to sacrifice the towing ability of the eco to get what he perceives as a less complex, more reliable engine in the 5.0.

Ok fine I can follow that logic.

But now he is considering moving from the 5.0 to the new Ford 3.0 diesel. If he is looking to own the lest complex engine offering then he is going in the extreme wrong direction. The diesel engine with its EPA mandated emissions equipment will be the most complex design of them all, by a wide margin.

Its a safe bet to say the diesel engine will return better MPG. But it will cost more to purchase. It will cost more to maintain. It will be outperformed by the 5.0 both empty and towing. I don't see how the price premium will ever be recouped by 95% of typical 1/2 ton truck owners.

I'm sure BigFish will be back along shortly to insult me as a person while adding little or no substance to the conversation. Hopefully that will not cloud anyone's judgement. Try to read between the lines here, shouldn't be hard for a logical person to figure out what's going on.

When you say substance, do you mean mindless drivel with little or no facts? Do you mean not understanding what makes a diesel far superior to gas motors when it comes to towing? Do you mean confusing Horsepower with torque? Do you mean not being able to understand why someone would not want to tow a heavy load at 3800 rpm's for hours on end with their gas truck?

Diesels are not really all that complex, and the emissions systems have gotten pretty good.

The ford 3.0 diesel may turn out to be a diamond or a turd, From what i know i would be nervous about purchasing any new Ford Diesel considering the 6.0 and the 6.4, but i think they have a really good engine with the 6.7. Hopefully the 3.0 will be just as good.

Sadly for you it is not all that hard to figure out what is going on. A guy who does not seem to have any grasp of towing, or reality, comes on a forum anytime a diesel engine is mentioned and bashes without any facts to back himself up. You cannot even understand that how much horsepower a power plant makes, does not really have everything to do with how well it will tow.

Most grown men DO NOT CARE which truck engine will "SMOKE" the other truck when they are looking for a tow vehicle. What is sad is that you cannot comprehend what you are pretending to know something about. You do not understand why torque is important. There are tons of things to be sad about bro!

Again, Why do Kenworth, Peterbuilt, and Mack use diesels to power their heavy hauling semis? Many semis out on the road today hauling 53 foot trailers and 60,000 pounds have diesel engines that make under 500 horspower! Is that sad to you. You can get more power than that out of a 5.7 liter V8! Why do they not use a gas motor to haul the 53 foot trailer? I will tell you, because they cant do it, and rebuilding an engine every 5000 miles would be expensive!

If you are coming into these forums to try and look smart, It's not working!
bigfish55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:01 PM   #89
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: St. Aug FL
Posts: 321
Default

[QUOTE=Belzelbub;10842087]About $5K, and only if you pay MSRP. I paid significantly less. And less than I've seen some F-150s going for.

Not when comparing torque. I assume that you are referring to the TFL test on the Ike. That was over a year ago, and there have been significant software updates to address power delivery issues since then. I can only address the most recent one which was done when I got my first oil change (Cost? See next bullet). The reflash made a significant difference in feel, but I don't know what it would do on the Ike, as I live in FL.


Belzelbub, i hate to tell you but he does not think that torque matters in the towing and hauling equation. He cannot get past which motor has the higher horsepower number. You should go back and read some of his many posts on diesel subjects. More than just I have tried to help him understand diesel vs gas for towing, He will simply take whichever has more horsepower and then tell you that is the best truck. Its maddening, sad, and funny all at the same time.

Last edited by bigfish55; 11-14-2017 at 01:14 PM.
bigfish55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:13 PM   #90
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: St. Aug FL
Posts: 321
Default

One more thing, Below is one of the most powerful engines that Paccar makes for Kenworth. What Do You Know, only 410-500 horsepower . Well that is sad! The 5.7 in the latest Hemi makes 400HP, it should tow just as well as the Kenworth. Holy crap, look at the torque that the Paccar makes, to bad that does not matter! lol I bet a 2.7 ecoboost would "smoke that semi" to the top of a mountain. That must mean that the ecoboost is better for towing!

PACCAR MX-13 Overview
2017 PACCAR MX-13 EngineHeavy-Duty
Class 8

1 Million Miles
B10 Design Life

2 Years or 250,000 Miles
Base Warranty

405-510
Horsepower

1,450-1,850
lb-ft of Torque

12.9 Liters
Displacement
bigfish55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:18 PM   #91
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hilton Head, SC
Posts: 193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehog View Post
I know it sucks when you've been bit, we get it.
The vast majority of us EB owners are happy as pigs in slop. Your experience was an unfortunate fluke.
On a much smaller scale I bought two new Smith & Wessons this year that had to be sent back for repairs. I swore I'd never buy another. The odds of that happening are pretty small and I'm over my tantrum now.
I agree with you, other than it wasnít a fluke, itís a real, known issue.

To be fair, I have said multiple times that I loved the performance of my EB and if it werenít for what happened to me and what I found during my research, I would still own mine or the new G2 EB.
Wicked Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:34 PM   #92
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hilton Head, SC
Posts: 193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj06bolt12r View Post
Wicked was saying that he got away from the Ecoboost and went to the 5.0 because he was willing to sacrifice the towing ability of the eco to get what he perceives as a less complex, more reliable engine in the 5.0.

Ok fine I can follow that logic.

But now he is considering moving from the 5.0 to the new Ford 3.0 diesel. If he is looking to own the lest complex engine offering then he is going in the extreme wrong direction. The diesel engine with its EPA mandated emissions equipment will be the most complex design of them all, by a wide margin.

Its a safe bet to say the diesel engine will return better MPG. But it will cost more to purchase. It will cost more to maintain. It will be outperformed by the 5.0 both empty and towing. I don't see how the price premium will ever be recouped by 95% of typical 1/2 ton truck owners.

I'm sure BigFish will be back along shortly to insult me as a person while adding little or no substance to the conversation. Hopefully that will not cloud anyone's judgement. Try to read between the lines here, shouldn't be hard for a logical person to figure out what's going on.
Iím with you for the most part, with the exception that I do not believe the 5.0 will out perform the 3.0 because my 5.0 has to rev and downshift to pull my ~6000lb boat, which I believe is due to the lack of low end torque.

I think the 3.0 will make around 420-450 ftlb torque under 1800 RPM which in my view will tow better than the 5.0 IE not have to rev as high and hopefully hold gears longer.

The 3.0 may not have a higher max tow rating than the EB or even the 5.0, but I canít see it towing 6000lbs worse than the 5.0.

Maybe Iím just not used to having to rev my 5.0 up to 3500-4000rpm to start feeling itís power, at least it sounds good doing it.
Wicked Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:35 PM   #93
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Largo, FL
Posts: 1,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonickevin95 View Post
Not trying to get into an argument here but please keep in mind there is no such thing as free oil changes. Thats the biggest scam in the world. You are paying for them, you just don't see it on paper.
I understand what you are saying. Before I bought this truck, I visited several dealerships and got quotes for the exact same vehicle at each of them. The one I purchased from was willing to sell to me for the lowest price. They were also the only one that offered the lifetime oil change. So, I'm sure they figured it into the price, but even with that included, they were still cheaper than buying from the others.
Belzelbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:37 PM   #94
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Largo, FL
Posts: 1,388
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigfish55 View Post
Belzelbub, i hate to tell you but he does not think that torque matters in the towing and hauling equation. He cannot get past which motor has the higher horsepower number. You should go back and read some of his many posts on diesel subjects. More than just I have tried to help him understand diesel vs gas for towing, He will simply take whichever has more horsepower and then tell you that is the best truck. Its maddening, sad, and funny all at the same time.
I thought that name looked familiar. I remember a few of those recent discussions.
Belzelbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #95
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 625
Default

BigFish

I thought this thread was about 1/2 Ton pickups.... not semi trucks. Totally different design philosophy and intended use. That seems pretty obvious.

Copy and pasting statistics about semi truck engines from the internet does nothing to prove the financial feasibility of purchasing the diesel version of an F-150 or Cummins XD.

I can't believe how emotional you still are about the diesel vs gas threads from the past. It is fatiguing.

Considering the fact that we have never met and likely never will meet I am surprised and puzzled by your naked animosity towards me. My opinions should have no emotional effect on you. You can spend your money however you like. Why is my approval of any consequence?

Lacing the posts you aim at me with sarcasm, anger and insults does not prove anything. If this is the tactic you normally employ to "win" a debate I can assure you that you have "achieved" a lot of false victories. I'm willing to bet many people will "concede victory" to simply escape being in the presence of your over aggressive personality.

It'd be nice if we could keep the discussion on topic and not hurl non instigated insults around... no?
aj06bolt12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:39 PM   #96
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Game View Post
Iím with you for the most part, with the exception that I do not believe the 5.0 will out perform the 3.0 because my 5.0 has to rev and downshift to pull my ~6000lb boat, which I believe is due to the lack of low end torque.

I think the 3.0 will make around 420-450 ftlb torque under 1800 RPM which in my view will tow better than the 5.0 IE not have to rev as high and hopefully hold gears longer.

The 3.0 may not have a higher max tow rating than the EB or even the 5.0, but I canít see it towing 6000lbs worse than the 5.0.

Maybe Iím just not used to having to rev my 5.0 up to 3500-4000rpm to start feeling itís power, at least it sounds good doing it.

Your comments here are where myself and those who are loyal to new emissions era diesel engines part ways.

I'm sure the diesel will pull the trailer at lower RPMs than the 5.0. That is not because it isn't working as hard. It is because the diesel engine makes it's max power at lower RPMS.
The diesel engine is not capable of 6000 rpm. Lets say its max rpm is 3500 rpm and it makes peak HP at 3000 rpm. Pulling hills at 2500 rpm does not mean it isn't working hard. It is running up near its peak horsepower producing RPM. It's just does not sound like its working hard because it is using boost to make the necessary horsepower instead of RPM.

The 5.0 is not "working hard" at 3500-4000 rpm. If you have your foot on the floor and you are still loosing RPM, then it is working hard. The 5.0 was engineered to make power at higher RPM because it is naturally aspirated. That is how it works. If it downshifts and revs to 4000 rpm to pull up a hill, good. It is operating as designed. It's using RPM to make horsepower instead of boost. It's not hurting a thing. This is why we have transmissions. But if a person hates it when a transmission downshifts they do have the option to choose a lower gear to begin with with the gas engine as well. If you tow in say 4th gear tops and let the engine run higher RPM the whole time you tow you will experience very few downshifts. The engine would be perfectly "happy" to do that. But you are going to hear some engine noise. That is the trade off.

If you are willing to pay a $5-$6k premium in order to have an engine that runs at lower RPM... More power to you. Seriously, it's your money and you are more than welcome to spend it however you want. Hell I did when I bought an Ecoboost instead of a 5.0. Roughly the same principals at work accept Ecoboost are not saddled with Diesel emissions equipment. People only live a short time and should do what makes them happy.

The point I am making is that you cannot make a financial argument to buy a 1/2 ton diesel. You cannot make a risk aversion argument to do so. It's a loss in every direction. If there were no emissions standards to meet I think you could. But those days are over gone. This makes me sad. I like towing with diesel engines too, I'm just not willing to pay the premium or roll the emissions equipment dice to do so.
joshd472 likes this.
aj06bolt12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:52 PM   #97
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Hilton Head, SC
Posts: 193
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj06bolt12r View Post
Your comments here are where myself and those who are loyal to new emissions era diesel engines part ways.

I'm sure the diesel will pull the trailer at lower RPMs than the 5.0. That is not because it isn't working as hard. It is because the diesel engine makes it's max power at lower RPMS.
The diesel engine is not capable of 6000 rpm. Lets say its max rpm is 3500 rpm and it makes peak HP at 3000 rpm. Pulling hills at 2500 rpm does not mean it isn't working hard. It is running up near its peak horsepower producing RPM. It's just does not sound like its working hard because it is using boost to make the necessary horsepower instead of RPM.

The 5.0 is not "working hard" at 3500-4000 rpm. If you have your foot on the floor and you are still loosing RPM, then it is working hard. The 5.0 was engineered to make power at higher RPM because it is naturally aspirated. That is how it works. If it downshifts and revs to 4000 rpm to pull up a hill, good. It is operating as designed. It's using RPM to make horsepower instead of boost. It's not hurting a thing. This is why we have transmissions. But if a person hates it when a transmission downshifts they do have the option to choose a lower gear to begin with with the gas engine as well. If you tow in say 4th gear tops and let the engine run higher RPM the whole time you tow you will experience very few downshifts. The engine would be perfectly "happy" to do that. But you are going to hear some engine noise. That is the trade off.

If you are willing to pay a $5-$6k premium in order to have an engine that runs at lower RPM... More power to you. Seriously, it's your money and you are more than welcome to spend it however you want. Hell I did when I bought an Ecoboost instead of a 5.0. Roughly the same principals at work accept Ecoboost are not saddled with Diesel emissions equipment. People only live a short time and should do what makes them happy.

The point I am making is that you cannot make a financial argument to buy a 1/2 ton diesel. You cannot make a risk aversion argument to do so. It's a loss in every direction. If there were no emissions standards to meet I think you could. But those days are over gone. This makes me sad. I like towing with diesel engines too, I'm just not willing to pay the premium or roll the emissions equipment dice to do so.
Fair enough but in my case, Iím not trying to justify a diesel 1/2 Ton financially, Iím focusing on feel.

3500-4000 is where my 5.0 STARTS to feel like itís making power.

Iíd pay for the diesel option in an F 150 because I want the low revving diesel driving characteristics while towing (or even just driving around town) but donít want an F250 6.7 as a daily driver, and donít want another EB.

The lack of low end torque with the 5.0 is bothering me more than I expected, as does the revving and necessary downshifting for power, even on flat ground.

Financially, keeping my new 5.0 is my cheapest option.

I do agree with you about the emissions crap on the new diesels, another reason I didnít get the 6.7 but I may need to take that chance if the 3.0 comes out swinging.
Wicked Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:04 PM   #98
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Middle Tennessee
Posts: 625
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked Game View Post
Fair enough but in my case, Iím not trying to justify a diesel 1/2 Ton financially, Iím focusing on feel.

3500-4000 is where my 5.0 STARTS to feel like itís making power.

Iíd pay for the diesel option in an F 150 because I want the low revving diesel driving characteristics while towing (or even just driving around town) but donít want an F250 6.7 as a daily driver, and donít want another EB.

The lack of low end torque with the 5.0 is bothering me more than I expected, as does the revving and necessary downshifting for power, even on flat ground.

Financially, keeping my new 5.0 is my cheapest option.

I do agree with you about the emissions crap on the new diesels, another reason I didnít get the 6.7 but I may need to take that chance if the 3.0 comes out swinging.
Cool man, as long as you are going into it with your eyes open and not trying to convince people that it is a financially prudent decision I say more power to you.

Of course for that kind of money you could just supercharge the 5.0 Then you would have 350hp available at under 2000 rpm and 600hp at 6000 rpm.
aj06bolt12r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 04:58 PM   #99
Admirals Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Baltimore md
Posts: 1,861
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyboi1212 View Post
Yes they did this to me on the wife's car. She only has to wait 2-4 hours on her day off for her "free" oil change. Never again.
They told my mom she needed a new battery for 300.00 and an air filter for another 100.00 when her car was 3 years old with 30k miles on it. They tried the air filter at every oil change. She said "I don't need a new battery and if I did I certainly am not paying you 300 bucks for it". They said to her "if you don't follow the maintenance procedure we have them you void your free oil changes for life". She said " I can buy alot of oil changes for 400.00 so you can shove them up your ass". Not to mention you most definitely pay for them in the price if the vehicle. I wonder how many people fall for that shit?
zigzag likes this.
sonickevin95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 09:55 AM   #100
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 45
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj06bolt12r View Post
The 5.0 is not "working hard" at 3500-4000 rpm. If you have your foot on the floor and you are still loosing RPM, then it is working hard. The 5.0 was engineered to make power at higher RPM because it is naturally aspirated. That is how it works. If it downshifts and revs to 4000 rpm to pull up a hill, good. It is operating as designed. It's using RPM to make horsepower instead of boost. It's not hurting a thing. This is why we have transmissions. But if a person hates it when a transmission downshifts they do have the option to choose a lower gear to begin with with the gas engine as well. If you tow in say 4th gear tops and let the engine run higher RPM the whole time you tow you will experience very few downshifts. The engine would be perfectly "happy" to do that. But you are going to hear some engine noise. That is the trade off.
I think what it comes down to is certain drivers just think "old school" based on experience, and assume that high RPMs are inherently harmful. Back in the days of 200hp big blocks that pulled hills at 2000rpm, 4000-5000 seemed astronomical. RPM like that would surely scatter their bottom end (and given enough time they were likely correct).

Modern V8s are designed to run at those high rpms for hours on end. There's only one way to make more power on a given motor, and that's to get more air and fuel through it. If you aren't forcing air in, you must increase RPM and and airflow at those higher RPM. Your 5.0/Hemi/V10 is just fine singing along at 4500 rpm up a hill with your boat in tow.
sonickevin95 likes this.
ParkRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:28 AM.


©2009 TheHullTruth.com

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.