Notices

Trailer Tire Dry Rot

Old 07-04-2012, 07:30 PM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SW Va
Posts: 37
Default Trailer Tire Dry Rot

I store my center console boat on the trailer 10 months out of the year. I have a recurring problem with dry rot. After a couple of years I can just about count on a blowout on my way to or from Florida from my home in Virginia. Does anyone have any solutions? I've tried taking all the weight off the tires while stored but still have the problem.
Snuffy Smith is offline  
Old 07-04-2012, 07:47 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Melbourne, FL
Posts: 110
Default

Do you use wheel covers? The sun hurts tires more than anything else.
fishin_blues is offline  
Old 07-04-2012, 07:54 PM
  #3  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SW Va
Posts: 37
Default

Originally Posted by fishin_blues View Post
Do you use wheel covers? The sun hurts tires more than anything else.
I've looked for wheel covers, but all I seem to find are spare tire covers and they seem to be more for appearance than protection from the sun. Any idea where UV protectant tire covers can be acquired?
Snuffy Smith is offline  
Old 07-04-2012, 08:07 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
allureobx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: kitty hawk north carolina
Posts: 3,650
Default

Originally Posted by Snuffy Smith View Post
I've looked for wheel covers, but all I seem to find are spare tire covers and they seem to be more for appearance than protection from the sun. Any idea where UV protectant tire covers can be acquired?
any rv supply store will have them single or double axel I cover mine and armor all the hell out of them
allureobx is offline  
Old 07-04-2012, 08:31 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gilbert, SC
Posts: 765
Default

How old are the tires when you have a blow out?
Lattitude Adjuster is offline  
Old 07-04-2012, 09:20 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 552
Default

Well I use my trailer fairly often and I am getting 2 years out of trailer tires before failure. Gone are the days of trailer tires not being garbage, in my opinion. I'm putting truck tires on the trailer next tire change.
DrewC is offline  
Old 07-05-2012, 04:50 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Smyrna Beach
Posts: 2,511
Default

Harbour Freight sells trailer wheel protectors much cheaper than anybody else. Not sure if they'd protect against UV. I spray my tires with 303 Protectant. My trailer is stored in Florida, so I spray them 3 times a year. I hope that helps them.
BottomPicker is offline  
Old 07-05-2012, 08:48 AM
  #8  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SW Va
Posts: 37
Default

Originally Posted by Lattitude Adjuster View Post
How old are the tires when you have a blow out?
two years maximum. The last to go was a Carlyle trailer tire that I upgraded from "C" to "E" in an attempt to cure the problem.
Snuffy Smith is offline  
Old 07-05-2012, 08:56 AM
  #9  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SW Va
Posts: 37
Default

Originally Posted by BottomPicker View Post
Harbour Freight sells trailer wheel protectors much cheaper than anybody else. Not sure if they'd protect against UV. I spray my tires with 303 Protectant. My trailer is stored in Florida, so I spray them 3 times a year. I hope that helps them.
Thanks for the tip! Just placed an order for the covers. You're right, they're way cheaper (less expensive) than others I've looked at. Sure hope this helps. I've just gone to a bigger boat with a tandem trailer so tire cost just doubled!!!
Snuffy Smith is offline  
Old 07-05-2012, 07:37 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Gilbert, SC
Posts: 765
Default

There are a lot of threads on trailer tires on this board, everyone has their unique experience.
I had nothing but trouble with Carlyle tires.
I had a good experience with set of Goodyear Marathon radials on my last trailer that I sold with them on
When I bought my current boat, the Carlyle tires on the trailer had visible wear each time I stopped for gas on an 850 mile trip. I rotated them and held my breath on the return trip, they made it, but the cord was showing on one tire when I got home.
I replaced the Carlyle tires with a set of Maxxis radials, so far three 850 mile trips, no visible wear.
These will be replaced after 4 years regardless of the condition of them.

Changing a blow out on the side of I-95 at 5:00 PM in Ft Lauderdale is not in my vacation schedule.

Of course your mileage may vary..........
Lattitude Adjuster is offline  
Old 07-06-2012, 09:02 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Smyrna Beach
Posts: 2,511
Default

My trailer guy, who has become a good buddy, says that driving the trailer around once a month also helps the tires. Unfortuantely I can't be down in Florida more than 3 times during the year. But I do try to drive it around when I am. I'm going to get those HF covers myslef. They also sell these foam balls on an antenae with a magnet on the bottom for $10 that helps you line up your hitch with the trailer when you are alone. It ain perfect but helps tremendously.
BottomPicker is offline  
Old 07-06-2012, 10:13 AM
  #12  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SW Va
Posts: 37
Default

Originally Posted by BottomPicker View Post
My trailer guy, who has become a good buddy, says that driving the trailer around once a month also helps the tires. Unfortuantely I can't be down in Florida more than 3 times during the year. But I do try to drive it around when I am. I'm going to get those HF covers myslef. They also sell these foam balls on an antenae with a magnet on the bottom for $10 that helps you line up your hitch with the trailer when you are alone. It ain perfect but helps tremendously.
I've got a set of those foam balls, and they work GREAT!! Stick one of them on the hitch ball, line them up in the rear view mirror, and back up until the one on the trailer ball tips over and you are almost always ready to hook up. Wouldn't be without them.
Snuffy Smith is offline  
Old 07-06-2012, 10:21 AM
  #13  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SW Va
Posts: 37
Default ?

Originally Posted by Lattitude Adjuster View Post
There are a lot of threads on trailer tires on this board, everyone has their unique experience.
I had nothing but trouble with Carlyle tires.
I had a good experience with set of Goodyear Marathon radials on my last trailer that I sold with them on
When I bought my current boat, the Carlyle tires on the trailer had visible wear each time I stopped for gas on an 850 mile trip. I rotated them and held my breath on the return trip, they made it, but the cord was showing on one tire when I got home.
I replaced the Carlyle tires with a set of Maxxis radials, so far three 850 mile trips, no visible wear.
These will be replaced after 4 years regardless of the condition of them.

Changing a blow out on the side of I-95 at 5:00 PM in Ft Lauderdale is not in my vacation schedule.

Of course your mileage may vary..........
I guess all the trailer tires I've had trouble with are Carlyle's. Maybe a light should have come on!?! My new trailer has Load Star tires. Anyone have any experience with these?
Snuffy Smith is offline  
Old 07-06-2012, 07:30 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 552
Default

I have 4 Loadstars on my trailer that I bought year before last. So far, so good. They have over 1000 miles on them. My tire shop said all of the local contractors and many people pulling camper trailers were using the Loadstars. They are made in China, but made by Kenda who also makes airplane tires.
DrewC is offline  
Old 07-08-2012, 06:38 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 615
Default

Just had a two hour tire detour to start our keys vacation ! What I found surprised me and added one more thing to keep up on. Valve stems which you can pull out with your hand very easy. This on a less then two year old trailer. So if you have a blowout it might be the valve stem letting go....
yz250b is offline  
Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 PM
  #16  
RJO
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 59
Default

Camping world has cheap cpvers, I have em on my boat and travel trailer. Sun is a killer as mentioned above.
RJO is offline  
Old 07-10-2012, 01:01 PM
  #17  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: SW Va
Posts: 37
Default

Just got an email from Harbor Freight. They shipped my canvas wheel covers today. Including freight the bill was less than $17. Not bad if they help. I couldn't find the 303 Protectant, but found Armorall Protectant that's advertised to do the same thing. One other thing I read is to keep the tires fully inflated while in storage, so I've done that too. I hope that some of this works. Sure don't want to continue replacing trailer tires every other year!! Thanks for all the input.
Snuffy Smith is offline  
Old 07-11-2012, 06:04 AM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,351
Default

I Armor All my trailer tires front and back once a month even the spare and have never had an issue, The silicone in Armor All keeps them nice and moist
Gottarpon is offline  
Old 07-12-2012, 06:42 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: New Smyrna Beach
Posts: 2,511
Default

Snuffy, Good luck with the trailer tires Cuz!
BottomPicker is offline  
Old 07-12-2012, 06:24 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: North NJ & Barnegat Bay
Posts: 6,316
Default

they also dry rot from the inside out.....no cure for that.
pastaman1234 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread