Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Trucks & Trailers
Reload this Page >

F250 air conditioning comes and goes UPDATE I think I fixed it!

Notices
Like Tree4Likes

F250 air conditioning comes and goes UPDATE I think I fixed it!

Old 07-25-2011, 05:51 PM
  #21  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lutz, Fl formerly Gulfport/Jackson, Ms
Posts: 3,605
Default

Mine does it too. 2002 with 150K miles.
gordo35 is offline  
Old 07-25-2011, 06:11 PM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Eldersburg, MD USA
Posts: 704
Default

mine too. '03 with 175k.
seastrike is offline  
Old 07-25-2011, 07:22 PM
  #23  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Marlin009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Coast FL
Posts: 15,048
Default

Originally Posted by mfav View Post
With all the increased heat we have had I finally took it to a mechanic. Wouldn't you know, it never failed for him!

Think I'll remove the washer myself and see what happens.......
Mine may go a couple of days without acting up.

Just started a couple of months ago. Seems to be getting more consistent.
Marlin009 is online now  
Old 07-26-2011, 10:25 AM
  #24  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: KI Maryland
Posts: 2,257
Default I think I fixed it!!!

Removed the shim and have constant cold air! Wish I had done this last year when it first started.

Turn your ignition to the on position. Turn on the A/C too engage the clutch on the A/C compressor. Take a 1/4 inch ratchet with a 5/16 socket and break the center bolt loose. Turn off the ignition to release the clutch. Unscrew the center bolt and wiggle the clutch off. Inside the splined area there was a small shim or washer, remove it and complete the above in reverse.
formula29 and Philn_FlipFlops like this.
mfav is offline  
Old 07-26-2011, 05:42 PM
  #25  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Lutz, Fl formerly Gulfport/Jackson, Ms
Posts: 3,605
Default

Originally Posted by mfav View Post
Removed the shim and have constant cold air! Wish I had done this last year when it first started.

Turn your ignition to the on position. Turn on the A/C too engage the clutch on the A/C compressor. Take a 1/4 inch ratchet with a 5/16 socket and break the center bolt loose. Turn off the ignition to release the clutch. Unscrew the center bolt and wiggle the clutch off. Inside the splined area there was a small shim or washer, remove it and complete the above in reverse.
Please advise at the end of the week if it worked so I don't waste a case of beer sweating my ass off trying to figure out what's what I'm not a very mechanical dude but this sounds feasible for even me.
gordo35 is offline  
Old 07-26-2011, 05:52 PM
  #26  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: West Palm Beach
Posts: 831
Default

Its a FERD,thats normal CHEVY ftw
thecubanfishy is offline  
Old 07-27-2011, 05:57 AM
  #27  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: KI Maryland
Posts: 2,257
Default

It's fixed. Drove three hours yesterday with no problems, usually cuts out after fifteen minutes. Very easy fix, took me about twenty minutes. Most of that time was trying to figure out how to keep the clutch from spinning while trying to loosen the center bolt, then it dawned on me "engage the clutch"
mfav is offline  
Old 07-28-2011, 09:16 AM
  #28  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Charlotte / Southport
Posts: 3,365
Default

Originally Posted by DreamWeaver21 View Post
My F250 just started blowing out the defrost vents sometimes.
You have vac line off....two go to the hubs if 4wd and there in another goes upbehind the turbo if it's a D. The other goes to the vent gate.... Loosing vac.
Weekend-Hooker is online now  
Old 08-19-2011, 03:18 PM
  #29  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Marlin009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Coast FL
Posts: 15,048
Default

Mine started to do it everyday so I took it to a local place I use. He hadn't heard anything about the shim. He tested it and it didn't fail (figures) but they noticed the AC compressor relay was extremely hot.
They replaced it and after driving home yesterday and to / from work today, that appears to have fixed it. $24 part.
Marlin009 is online now  
Old 08-19-2011, 07:23 PM
  #30  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 5,159
Default

Originally Posted by Weekend-Hooker View Post
You have vac line off....two go to the hubs if 4wd and there in another goes upbehind the turbo if it's a D. The other goes to the vent gate.... Loosing vac.
Sounds likely. I have to manually turn the hubs to lock it in too.
DreamWeaver21 is offline  
Old 08-22-2011, 04:31 PM
  #31  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Marlin009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Coast FL
Posts: 15,048
Default

Originally Posted by Marlin009 View Post
Mine started to do it everyday so I took it to a local place I use. He hadn't heard anything about the shim. He tested it and it didn't fail (figures) but they noticed the AC compressor relay was extremely hot.
They replaced it and after driving home yesterday and to / from work today, that appears to have fixed it. $24 part.
Cut out on the way home tonight.

It was fine for three days. What a PITA.
Marlin009 is online now  
Old 08-22-2011, 04:37 PM
  #32  
pjc
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: central fla
Posts: 1,182
Default

Originally Posted by Marlin009 View Post
Cut out on the way home tonight.

It was fine for three days. What a PITA.
I'd just take the shim/washer out. It will take you longer to get the wrenches out and put'em back up.
pjc is offline  
Old 08-22-2011, 04:51 PM
  #33  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Marlin009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Coast FL
Posts: 15,048
Default

Originally Posted by pjc View Post
I'd just take the shim/washer out. It will take you longer to get the wrenches out and put'em back up.
Oh, I looked at it. Not a 20 minute job for me. I don't know if it's different but mines a 1999, the coolant tank has to come out to get to the clutch.
Serpentine belt has to come off. No thanks. I let someone else do this one.

The shim may fix it temporarily, but something else is wrong.

I was excited up until I popped the hood.
Marlin009 is online now  
Old 07-06-2018, 06:20 PM
  #34  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 1
Default

02 F250 Been dealing with on and off A/C for 3 years, removing the shim fixed issue, tip of the hat to jhymel1. super easy fix
dws4t4 is offline  
Old 07-09-2018, 04:15 PM
  #35  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SW FL
Posts: 1,579
Default

Originally Posted by Marlin009 View Post
Oh, I looked at it. Not a 20 minute job for me. I don't know if it's different but mines a 1999, the coolant tank has to come out to get to the clutch.
Serpentine belt has to come off. No thanks. I let someone else do this one.

The shim may fix it temporarily, but something else is wrong.

I was excited up until I popped the hood.
Mine's a 99 7.3 Powerstroke and I did the shim "fix" 2 years ago.
Been fine since.
Is your 99 a 7.3 or a gasser?
Didn't have to remove anything but the bolt and the front cover of the clutch.
Removed the shim and put it right back together.
Takes longer to gather the tools and put them back afterward.
Striperk9 likes this.
roozter is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 05:39 AM
  #36  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 2,832
Default

Did it on a 5.4L gasser 99 350. Nothing had to come off to do it. You're not taking off the clutch pulley or coil; just the front cover.
chrisjb is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 06:09 AM
  #37  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Durham, NC
Posts: 950
Default

Originally Posted by roozter View Post
Mine's a 99 7.3 Powerstroke and I did the shim "fix" 2 years ago.
Been fine since.
Is your 99 a 7.3 or a gasser?
Didn't have to remove anything but the bolt and the front cover of the clutch.
Removed the shim and put it right back together.
Takes longer to gather the tools and put them back afterward.
Thanks for bringing this thread back. I have been having the same issue for a couple years now. Intermittent air but works fine under load or if I am doing over 65. I have a 2000 F-250 with a 12/99 born on date. I will take a peek tonight to see if I can remove the shim.
Striperk9 is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 07:03 AM
  #38  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Marlin009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Coast FL
Posts: 15,048
Default

Originally Posted by roozter View Post
Mine's a 99 7.3 Powerstroke and I did the shim "fix" 2 years ago.
Been fine since.
Is your 99 a 7.3 or a gasser?
Didn't have to remove anything but the bolt and the front cover of the clutch.
Removed the shim and put it right back together.
Takes longer to gather the tools and put them back afterward.
It was a 7.3. Long gone now.
Marlin009 is online now  
Old 07-10-2018, 04:19 PM
  #39  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: SW FL
Posts: 1,579
Default

Originally Posted by Striperk9 View Post
Thanks for bringing this thread back. I have been having the same issue for a couple years now. Intermittent air but works fine under load or if I am doing over 65. I have a 2000 F-250 with a 12/99 born on date. I will take a peek tonight to see if I can remove the shim.
Mine is an early 99. 11/98 build date.

When you remove the bolt, you only have to pull off the clutch hub/face.
The center fits onto the splined compressor shaft.
The shim or shims is inside the female spline of the hub or it may be stuck on the end of the shaft.
The pulley, electromagnet and belt stay on.
If there's 2 shims, remove only 1 and reassemble/try it out.
Mine had only 1 but I have heard of others that have had 2.
Striperk9 likes this.
roozter is offline  
Old 05-28-2019, 12:53 PM
  #40  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 1
Default

I have been having the same problem with my f250 since last year. A/c shop wanted to evacuate my system and recharge even though my pressures were fine. Then they said if that didn't work, they would look at other options. $$$$$. My air gap on the clutch is about .030. I am going to try the shim removal and see if that works. Thanks. I'll report back my findings.
Burtman0125 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread