Notices

f250 or 2500hd

Old 02-05-2011, 11:13 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NOLA
Posts: 219
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default f250 or 2500hd

looking for a 2007-2009
will be towing a donzi 35zr about 20 miles to the river and back on weekends during the summer with the possibility of a 500 mile round trip to the beach once a year
also tow a 31 yellowfin with twins 10 miles round trip to launch with the possibility of moving to a 36 with triples in the future
Other then towing and hunting camp the truck will not be used alot its not gunna be an everyday driver.
my concerns are should i get the diesel or is gas fine?
also theft is really bad in new orleans and i know that the chevy has the feature that allows the cops to stop the vehicle with on star. the ford has nothing like that that im aware of.
Please dont mention dodge they're ugly and i dont want one.
Old 02-06-2011, 11:18 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 809
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

If you are needing to tow a boat of that size I would definately go diesel. I own a f250 diesel and tow a 34 fountain w it. No problem my buddy owns a f350 gas still can tow the boat no problem but you can feel the truck working hard. As for chevy vs ford both great row vehicles but I think fords are better. My 2005 has 195000 and no issues. Just ordered 2011 ford
Old 02-06-2011, 11:38 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Orange Beach, AL
Posts: 224
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I have had both and just got a new 2011 ford f-350 single rear wheel and love it i would go with ford but both are very nice
Old 02-06-2011, 02:50 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 606
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

If yo need a truck to work with get a Ford, if you are just going to ride a chevy will do.
Old 02-06-2011, 02:51 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 606
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

oh yea get a diesel its worth it
Old 02-06-2011, 02:57 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
ladyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lake champlain vermont
Posts: 30,179
Likes: 0
Received 780 Likes on 495 Posts
Default

do fords still have a solid front end?
Old 02-06-2011, 03:37 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: north carolina
Posts: 2,790
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
do fords still have a solid front end?
no.........
Old 02-06-2011, 05:11 PM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 76
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

this is something that i have a lot of experience with. at the moment i am working the oil spill and tow a 36 yellowfin all around the gulf. the ford diesel has the power to pull the 36 but where it struggles is the transmission. the allison tranny on the chevy that i use is amazing. several times i have had to make the trip back home to south florida about 700 miles. i have no problem pulling at or over the speed limit. the one time we used a ford 250 we were not able to maintain the same speeds without getting the tranny temp way up there. pulling with the chevy my tranny never gets over 200deg even when pulling the yellowfin up and down the hills on i-10 at 75mph. the only thing i would change in the chevy would be the fuel tank size.

do yourself a favor and get the chevy with the allison. if you want to really test out the chevy before pulling the trigger i am in dauphin island al and will take you for a test drive with almost 20000lbs of boat behind.

there really is no comparison in the two trucks until ford gets a transmission that is worth a crap, now if you want a manual then either truck would do fine.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:58 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Kerr Lake, NC
Posts: 676
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ladyjane View Post
do fords still have a solid front end?
The 250-550 does.
Old 02-06-2011, 07:35 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Diamondhead, MS
Posts: 4,105
Received 266 Likes on 145 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by caribbeancowboy1 View Post
this is something that i have a lot of experience with. at the moment i am working the oil spill and tow a 36 yellowfin all around the gulf. the ford diesel has the power to pull the 36 but where it struggles is the transmission. the allison tranny on the chevy that i use is amazing. several times i have had to make the trip back home to south florida about 700 miles. i have no problem pulling at or over the speed limit. the one time we used a ford 250 we were not able to maintain the same speeds without getting the tranny temp way up there. pulling with the chevy my tranny never gets over 200deg even when pulling the yellowfin up and down the hills on i-10 at 75mph. the only thing i would change in the chevy would be the fuel tank size.

do yourself a favor and get the chevy with the allison. if you want to really test out the chevy before pulling the trigger i am in dauphin island al and will take you for a test drive with almost 20000lbs of boat behind.

there really is no comparison in the two trucks until ford gets a transmission that is worth a crap, now if you want a manual then either truck would do fine.


Have your Ford tranny checked.. I tow your kind of boats for clients and dealers as well as trailers numerous times a year back and forth to Miami for a living....along with our 11k trailers daily...If your talking 11's..they are the same..previous years the Allison is better only cause I can get 25-30k more miles out of them..approx 225k ..BUT THEN AGAIN IVE HAD 3 OF THEM GO INTO LIMP MODE...PITA.

to the OP....do a search on

www.dieselgarage.com

some good info here..
Old 02-06-2011, 09:20 PM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 76
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

i have heard great things about the new 6 speed from ford and if it holds up they will have a great truck!

jassman, are you saying that the ford tranny last 200k miles less on average than the allison? i have had my duramax go into limp mode while towing the yellowfin and we didn't even try, just pulled over. i shut it down and called around to see if i could get it looked at. started it back up and it was good to go for the rest of the trip. once i got to a dealer they replaced the pedal position sensor under warranty.

i am very happy with the chevy and my die hard ford friends dont say nothing about my truck!
Old 02-06-2011, 10:25 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NOLA
Posts: 219
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

What about security does ford offer anything like that chevy onstar? That is whats giving chevy the edge for me
Old 02-06-2011, 10:44 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Delaware
Posts: 5,115
Received 127 Likes on 89 Posts
Default

Don't dismiss the Dodge Cummins...
Old 02-07-2011, 04:21 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
ladyjane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: lake champlain vermont
Posts: 30,179
Likes: 0
Received 780 Likes on 495 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BlueWaterRunner View Post
The 250-550 does.
thanx!
Old 02-07-2011, 05:12 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 370
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jasonphoto01 View Post
What about security does ford offer anything like that chevy onstar? That is whats giving chevy the edge for me
I wouldn't put much weight in on-star, it's a nice service but do you really want to pay $20-$30 a month for a vehicle you rarely drive? Most thief's will just pull the fuse or cut the antenna anyhow.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:42 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Largo, FL, USA
Posts: 1,039
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I like the F250 diesel better, and I own a Sierra. My neighbor just got an '11 F250 diesel 4x4 and I really, really like it. I'm still amazed at how smooth the new Ford diesels are. It's just like driving my gas motor Sierra. If I needed a diesel to tow more, I wouldn't even shop around, I'd be heading straight to a Ford dealer.
Old 02-07-2011, 10:55 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NOLA
Posts: 219
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by slickcav View Post
Don't dismiss the Dodge Cummins...
Sorry but even if that combo was better...which seems to be debatable...I wouldn't buy that ugly truck. I know that trucks performance is the most important thing but id still like to look good going down the road. Sounds like a trip to the ford dealership to see the 2011 ford 250 might be a wise idea.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:41 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Monmouth County, NJ / Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 1,036
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jasonphoto01 View Post
Sorry but even if that combo was better...which seems to be debatable...I wouldn't buy that ugly truck. I know that trucks performance is the most important thing but id still like to look good going down the road. Sounds like a trip to the ford dealership to see the 2011 ford 250 might be a wise idea.
I have been looking at the 2011 Ford F250 and Ram 2500 Diesels in the Lariat and Laramie trims. I am a longtime Ford guy, but on the interior the Ram is significantly nicer. Ford is disappointingly "plasticy". I also like the Cummins I-6 and the fact of no Urea.

Decisions!!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:44 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Carrabelle, Fla
Posts: 1,673
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Super_Duty
Old 02-08-2011, 12:13 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NOLA
Posts: 219
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

I cant stand the dodge it looks horrible but of course thats just my personal opinion. I have a family friend who owns a dealership and I look at them every year and every year I think they're ugly. I wish i didnt because id be able to get a GREAT deal on one. Of course how a truck looks is based on personal preference and how one runs is based on facts.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.