Notices

Used $5000 truck 12v or 7.3

Old 01-06-2011, 08:49 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sea Bright NJ
Posts: 395
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Used $5000 truck 12v or 7.3

Have a budget of $5000+/- to pick up a tow rig/ partial daily driver. I put about 250 highway miles on my vehicle per week. Most it'd have to tow would be 8-9,000lbs Would it make sense to get an older diesel w/ 150,000+ on it, or look for a gas truck?

Don't care about looks or noise, beat up body. Seen a few 12v cummins and 7.3's for sale in this range.

Am I out of my mind expecting around 18+mpg highway? Should I be wary of auto transmissions with that mileage? I'd prefer stick, but they are hard to come by.

Opinions? Advice?
Old 01-06-2011, 09:12 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 9,031
Received 792 Likes on 366 Posts
Default

I'm suprised that you can find a Ford 7.3 or a Cummins 5.9 for $5k that still runs. I still see 1990 Dodge 5.9's selling for $8-10k.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:18 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sea Bright NJ
Posts: 395
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Originally Posted by chrisrack View Post
I'm suprised that you can find a Ford 7.3 or a Cummins 5.9 for $5k that still runs. I still see 1990 Dodge 5.9's selling for $8-10k.

There's a few around. More 7.3's than 5.9's . Most are asking 6-8k,
Old 01-06-2011, 09:22 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Diego
Posts: 4,683
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

I would say that, if you found, say, 1 of each, I would pick the best one. They are pretty equal in those years. The ford may have an edge in as much as the truck part may be better.
Old 01-06-2011, 10:46 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jupiter, FL
Posts: 390
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

There are some deals out there, but you have to be willing to wait around for one to come along in your area.

About 5yrs ago I bought a 4x4 '93 Dodge Cummins Club-cab with 90k miles for $5,500. It was a great truck that had 1 owner (an older Japanese man) and the family was selling it because he had passed away. This was in Salt Lake City, UT and there are a lot more diesels out there than other areas (like FL)...although just about every one of them out West had very high mileage and had been used to tow heavy trailers up and down canyon passes. I ended up selling the truck about a year later and got $7,500 for it!
Old 01-06-2011, 08:20 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,507
Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts
Default

Ive seen a few work truck 7.3's for less than $6k and with under 150k mi. THey are out there but you have to find em'
Old 01-06-2011, 11:26 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Gulfport MS
Posts: 242
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default

Both are great engines, but the dodges trannys SUCK!!! I dont know if you have ever riden in a older dodge, hell even a newer one at that.. but if you have rode in the back of a delivery truck then thats about the same.. The dodge would get the slight edge on fuel economy... but a new tranny is prob $1800.. that will buy alot of fuel

Team Balla's... How you like that 11??? Heard they are supposed to be nice
Old 01-07-2011, 04:43 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jupiter, FL
Posts: 390
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The Dodge trannys are fine. They got a bad reputation from people adding extreme amounts of power and then expecting a stock tranny to take it. You didn't see it happen as much with the 7.3 Fords because they're so much harder and more expensive to add power to. With the older 12V Cummins you can turn a couple screws on the fuel injection pump and literally double the power from 160hp to 320hp.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:14 AM
  #9  
Bly
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: south jersey
Posts: 6,663
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default This is a tough choice. I have owned both. mostly 6.9, and 7.3s

Originally Posted by JRussell View Post
The Dodge trannys are fine. They got a bad reputation from people adding extreme amounts of power and then expecting a stock tranny to take it. You didn't see it happen as much with the 7.3 Fords because they're so much harder and more expensive to add power to. With the older 12V Cummins you can turn a couple screws on the fuel injection pump and literally double the power from 160hp to 320hp.
I finally bought a 12 valve years ago and only wish I had the 12 valve in a ford truck undercarriage? That would be the best of the best. The 7.3 is the last good motor ford put in their trucks. Above in the quote you said the trans will last when you dont bump the power up? and then you explained how easy it is to bump the power up?????? on a 12 valve. That was the first thing I beefed up was my auto trans so it could handle a few 100 more HP.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:35 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 575
Likes: 0
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Default

If you find a $5k 7.3 its got to be a beater where the former owner has hauled a 15,000 pound backhoe and never changed the transmission fluid.
I would pay up for a truck that has been lightly used and well cared for. You will save money in the end.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:41 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Jupiter, FL
Posts: 390
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bly View Post
Above in the quote you said the trans will last when you dont bump the power up? and then you explained how easy it is to bump the power up?????? on a 12 valve. That was the first thing I beefed up was my auto trans so it could handle a few 100 more HP.
I did the same with my '06 as well. Had the tranny fully built with only 5k miles on the truck. Some people thought I was crazy for spending so much money on a tranny with 5k miles, but I knew I was going to add power and didn't want the hassles of having it break on me while towing a trailer far from home.

The more common approach seems to be "add the power first, then fix the tranny later when it does break". Most people just can't resist the temptation of free/cheap power and don't want to fork out thousands for a tranny that isn't broken (yet). Too easy to add serious amounts of power, and too expensive to rebuild a working tranny.
Old 01-07-2011, 07:49 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location:
Posts: 510
Likes: 0
Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Ha Ha! Y'all said "tranny."
Old 01-07-2011, 08:34 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 4,507
Received 185 Likes on 117 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 2StrokenMako261 View Post
Both are great engines, but the dodges trannys SUCK!!! I dont know if you have ever riden in a older dodge, hell even a newer one at that.. but if you have rode in the back of a delivery truck then thats about the same.. The dodge would get the slight edge on fuel economy... but a new tranny is prob $1800.. that will buy alot of fuel

Team Balla's... How you like that 11??? Heard they are supposed to be nice
Lovin' it, rolling on almost 8,xxx miles. Im impressed with the mileage im getting around the city 13.7-14.5mpg. Cant tell its a Diesel from the inside, very quiet and extremely powerful. There is Literally No turbo lag. The only thing im not liking is the ride. The Rancho shocks are probably the worst riding POS on the face of the earth. I have heard guys switching to Bilstiens and having a night and day difference in ride.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:02 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 739
Received 105 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

I've got a '95 F250 4x4 with 405,000 on it. I also have a 2004 F250 4x4 crew cab and it's not half the truck the ole 7.3 is. I did replace the tranny in the 95 at 125,000 miles,but it will still be running strong long after the 04 is gone! Can't go wrong with a 7.3
Old 01-08-2011, 03:24 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,753
Received 245 Likes on 168 Posts
Default

I believe 5k will get you more in a v10 gasser. I looked for a long time and never saw any diesels for that price which had less than 250k miles and weren't beat to crap. Saw a couple of v10 gassers that looked good though....
Old 01-08-2011, 04:09 AM
  #16  
Bly
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: south jersey
Posts: 6,663
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Open your eyes. Mine was bought 4 years ago or more for 5

Originally Posted by jhendric View Post
I believe 5k will get you more in a v10 gasser. I looked for a long time and never saw any diesels for that price which had less than 250k miles and weren't beat to crap. Saw a couple of v10 gassers that looked good though....
with only 117,000 miles, hardly broke in for a diesel. Yep a 97,12 V diesel 4x4 with working air and extra cab. Then I sold the ladder rack and tool boxes and got money back? My sons good friend just found one the same as mine for 5 a couple weeks ago. The problem is that they are sort of a cult truck and dont last long at the a low fast selling price. 7.3s also are sought after because people in the know dont want to take a chance on the 6.0s There is a whole under ground economy{low sales taxes} of paying stash cash for a beast truck that will do what a $50,000. truck will do only not with all the make up and glitter on. So turn the lights out and you wont know the difference.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:43 PM
  #17  
Bly
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: south jersey
Posts: 6,663
Likes: 0
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default I found you such a deal

Originally Posted by GMILLS88 View Post
Have a budget of $5000+/- to pick up a tow rig/ partial daily driver. I put about 250 highway miles on my vehicle per week. Most it'd have to tow would be 8-9,000lbs Would it make sense to get an older diesel w/ 150,000+ on it, or look for a gas truck?

Don't care about looks or noise, beat up body. Seen a few 12v cummins and 7.3's for sale in this range.

Am I out of my mind expecting around 18+mpg highway? Should I be wary of auto transmissions with that mileage? I'd prefer stick, but they are hard to come by.

Opinions? Advice?
2002 ford 350 4x4 w 7.3 all power and auto trans w 190,000 miles $6500 or best offer. My son went to look at it and had the guy down in to the higher 5s
Old 01-08-2011, 07:57 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 25
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bly View Post
My sons good friend just found one the same as mine for 5 a couple weeks ago. The problem is that they are sort of a cult truck and dont last long at the a low fast selling price.
That was me. I will post some pictures up tomorrow of how nice of a truck $5500 can get you. You just have to be willing to buy a vehicle almost by the seat of your pants as these old diesel engines sell quickly. As I was test driving my truck, the seller had guys from other states calling and wanting to look at the truck. My truck by the way runs like new with a very young 197,000 miles on the 12 valve, coming from a two owner father/son truck. The seller was a buyer's wet dream, even filling up the gas tank before I left and forcing me to take $100 back to put towards the truck. I have had the truck for almost a month now and it is running like a dream. There are diesel trucks in this price range...you just have to wait for the right deal to pop up. Good luck with the search and I'd go 12 valve all the way, it sure is a sweet engine.

P.S. I wouldn't be super worried about the tranny unless you are going to work the hell out of the engine or have the truck pull its balls off. Under normal driving conditions and maintenance, you should be fine.
Old 01-08-2011, 11:57 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,126
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Like most auto trans. problems, it usually starts with heat. The converter usually, then starts to burn the pump, converter stops locking up. More slippage more heat. All that flat torque off idle in a Cummins just makes it worse. If you have a friend who does trans. then you can rebuild them for like $700-800 in parts if not then $3000. All that said I'd rather have 12v with a p-pump and a Fass Lift pump.
Old 01-09-2011, 12:35 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Pensacola, FL
Posts: 5,574
Received 395 Likes on 263 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by GMILLS88 View Post
Have a budget of $5000+/- to pick up a tow rig/ partial daily driver. I put about 250 highway miles on my vehicle per week. Most it'd have to tow would be 8-9,000lbs Would it make sense to get an older diesel w/ 150,000+ on it, or look for a gas truck?

Don't care about looks or noise, beat up body. Seen a few 12v cummins and 7.3's for sale in this range.

Am I out of my mind expecting around 18+mpg highway? Should I be wary of auto transmissions with that mileage? I'd prefer stick, but they are hard to come by.

Opinions? Advice?
Yes you are out of your mind if you are looking for 18hwy from a 7.3. I have had two of them and both got 14.5mpg running 75-77mph empty. Real world hand calculated 4wd auto. I looked for a while before buying mine (2001). Most of the trucks I looked at with 150k+ had reman transmitions including the one I bought. I read they get 18mpg on the internet but both trucks I bought didn't get that. Maybe the 5.9 does. I haven't owned one.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.