Notices

Big boy truck thread

Old 04-13-2010, 05:23 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location:
Posts: 507
Default Big boy truck thread

Heres the thread where no one asks if their truck can tow their boat........finally.

08 3500 diese 6.7 straight 6 rated to tow 16200 pounds without a thought.
Includes stock exhaust brake

Lets see your hardware.no overloaded 150s or toys
Attached Images  
usmarinekurt is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 05:35 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,292
Default

Originally Posted by usmarinekurt View Post
Heres the thread where no one asks if their truck can tow their boat........finally.

08 3500 diese 6.7 straight 6 rated to tow 16200 pounds without a thought.
Includes stock exhaust brake

Lets see your hardware.no overloaded 150s or toys
If I buy that 1977 Dodge M883 for $1000 can I be part of your club? lol
wildgeechi is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 05:42 PM
  #3  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: At the floaters . . .
Posts: 9,319
Default

No.
Attached Images  
rbhankins001 is online now  
Old 04-13-2010, 05:47 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,292
Default

Originally Posted by usmarinekurt View Post
Heres the thread where no one asks if their truck can tow their boat........finally.

08 3500 diese 6.7 straight 6 rated to tow 16200 pounds without a thought.
Includes stock exhaust brake

Lets see your hardware.no overloaded 150s or toys
I was specing a Dodge 3500 on their site... they only come with cloth or vinyl? Is the vinyl the stick-to-your-skin type vinyl? Also, it says 10,000lb tow capacity... how do I get that to 16k without adding more wheels?
wildgeechi is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:07 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 4,437
Default

6 Speed manual transmission (impossible to stall in 4 low / granny gear), 4.10 gears, EGR delete, ARP head studs, SCT 100 hp tune for everyday driving and towing, 4" turbo back exhaust. I have pulled onto the scales @ just over 34,000lbs (truck, 36cu/yd goose neck dump trailer full) without a problem. Nathan K3LA Train horns with all 3/4" I.D. hoses and 200 PSI compressor, 11 gal tank, Alcoa 22.5" wheels.

Last edited by EODContender; 04-13-2010 at 06:31 PM.
EODContender is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:11 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location:
Posts: 507
Default

Originally Posted by wildgeechi View Post
I was specing a Dodge 3500 on their site... they only come with cloth or vinyl? Is the vinyl the stick-to-your-skin type vinyl? Also, it says 10,000lb tow capacity... how do I get that to 16k without adding more wheels?


no they have leather in the Sport or Laramie packages

10000 is gross weight. I know these big numbers can get confusing
usmarinekurt is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:12 PM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
fish factory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 25,453
Default

Originally Posted by EODContender View Post
. Nathan K3LA Train horns with all 3/4" I.D. hoses and 200 PSI compressor, 11 gal tank,
I want the horns....bet that'll get the left lane drivin', cell phone talkin' crowd outta the way.....not to mention those strollin' thru a cross walk.
fish factory is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:13 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location:
Posts: 507
Default

Originally Posted by wildgeechi View Post
If I buy that 1977 Dodge M883 for $1000 can I be part of your club? lol
No
usmarinekurt is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:15 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,292
Default

Originally Posted by usmarinekurt View Post
no they have leather in the Sport or Laramie packages

16200 combined weight. I know these big numbers can get confusing
Don't be a DB. I was asking a serious question. So what is the difference between max capacity and standard capacity?

GVWR - Standard 10100 lbs.
Towing Capacity - Maximum 17000 lbs.
Towing Capacity - Standard 12100 lbs.
wildgeechi is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:16 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,292
Default

Originally Posted by usmarinekurt View Post
No
Why not? Its a 2500?

What about an 1986 M1008? Thats a 3500 with a diesel v8?
wildgeechi is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:20 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 4,437
Default

Originally Posted by fish factory View Post
I want the horns....bet that'll get the left lane drivin', cell phone talkin' crowd outta the way.....not to mention those strollin' thru a cross walk.

To be honest with you, I really have to consider when I'm going to let someone have it because they are unbelievably loud. I almost had someone flip their vehicle one time and it kinda made me think about it a little. And, I can not blow them with my windows open. But they are fun for the highschool kids that dare you to run them over when they walk infront of you.
EODContender is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:21 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,292
Default

Originally Posted by EODContender View Post
To be honest with you, I really have to consider when I'm going to let someone have it because they are unbelievably loud. I almost had someone flip their vehicle one time and it kinda made me think about it a little. And, I can not blow them with my windows open. But they are fun for the highschool kids that dare you to run them over when they walk infront of you.
I've debated the hornblasters kit lol
wildgeechi is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:25 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location:
Posts: 507
Default

Originally Posted by wildgeechi View Post
Why not? Its a 2500?

What about an 1986 M1008? Thats a 3500 with a diesel v8?
we will discuss it when you have the truck
usmarinekurt is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:28 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location:
Posts: 507
Default

Originally Posted by wildgeechi View Post
Don't be a DB. I was asking a serious question. So what is the difference between max capacity and standard capacity?

GVWR - Standard 10100 lbs.
Towing Capacity - Maximum 17000 lbs.
Towing Capacity - Standard 12100 lbs.
Sorry- really I dont know, one of my club representatives will gladly explain
usmarinekurt is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:32 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 2,292
Default

Originally Posted by usmarinekurt View Post
we will discuss it when you have the truck
Hey, I want a big truck so I can abuse my FJ on the trails only... but I'm not dropping $50k for a vehicle I only use to put a boat in and out of the salt... just doesn't make sense. And my FJ is far too fun a vehicle to trade in on a diesel pickup.... Buying a $3-5k low mileage milspec truck is a quick fix, plus I don't care if it gets fish guts and salt water all over it.... Whatever I get it will probably never disconnect from the trailer anyway. Mark my words, I'll have a diesel truck within 6 months

Besides, my boat sports a cummins so I should be a member of this club anyway lol
wildgeechi is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:34 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 4,437
Default

Here's a picture of the trumpets when I installed them. My son was 4 in the picture.

EODContender is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:40 PM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Marlin009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Coast FL
Posts: 15,041
Default

Originally Posted by EODContender View Post
To be honest with you, I really have to consider when I'm going to let someone have it because they are unbelievably loud. I almost had someone flip their vehicle one time and it kinda made me think about it a little. And, I can not blow them with my windows open. But they are fun for the highschool kids that dare you to run them over when they walk infront of you.
Nathan's.

Grover's here. 150PSI and I need a bigger tank.

I'd had to clear some 7AM garage sale, park in the middle of the road people in the neighborhood on the way to work the other morning. I tried to just bump it and the button stuck.

They moved.

Marlin009 is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:45 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Marlin009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: West Coast FL
Posts: 15,041
Default

Originally Posted by EODContender View Post
Here's a picture of the trumpets when I installed them. My son was 4 in the picture.

Does your wife get it?

Mine doesn't.

Marlin009 is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 06:55 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Fort Lauderdale
Posts: 4,437
Default

She bought them for me for Christmas. She did all the research on her own and thats what she came up wit........believe it or not.
EODContender is offline  
Old 04-13-2010, 07:59 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Mechanicsville VA
Posts: 7,903
Default

Nearly stock 2007 w/ 6.0L and 4.10's. 60gal water tank with on-demand pressure pump in the bed, rear camera, and air-bags over the rear springs.

(pic taken before the airbags were installed)

I just sold the boat pictured and hope the truck can handle the 20ft CC I just ordered!!!
Attached Images  
t500hps is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread