Notices

2013 Dodge Ram 2500 DEF issues...

Old 02-22-2021, 07:31 AM
  #1  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,265
Likes: 0
Received 304 Likes on 194 Posts
Default 2013 Dodge Ram 2500 DEF issues...

Well.. my NOX sensor issues came back, but this time it took the DEF pump with him..

The truck just told me that I had less than 200 miles to get to the dealer, and after that, it will get in limp mode (5MPH max)...

I'm royally pissed off...

I understand that the pump assembly alone is like $800 and NOX sensor $1400 (just the parts).... P$%^@#UCK the EPA!!!!!!!!

Anybody that has gone through the same and has some rough idea on how much the dealer will rape me?

Last edited by emudryj; 02-22-2021 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:01 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Holden Beach, North Carolina
Posts: 3,420
Received 952 Likes on 540 Posts
Default

How many miles and service history, especially with emission system? I have a 12 drw but recently did the cleanings.
Old 02-22-2021, 08:17 AM
  #3  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,265
Likes: 0
Received 304 Likes on 194 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Wickedfisha View Post
How many miles and service history, especially with emission system? I have a 12 drw but recently did the cleanings.
90K miles... I think it was at the dealer for a DEF recall or update less than a year ago....
Old 02-22-2021, 08:33 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,678
Received 9,370 Likes on 5,082 Posts
Default

Sniff test where you live?

Delete it and be done. 2013 can be done without a new ECM I believe. 2015+ it becomes more difficult.
Likes:
Old 02-22-2021, 09:06 AM
  #5  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,265
Likes: 0
Received 304 Likes on 194 Posts
Default

Not sure what is a sniff test... live in Davie, FL (close to Ft. Lauderdale)

I was reticent to consider the delete due to legal concerns and problems at the time of selling, but the price that it costs just the parts it makes it much more enticing!!!!

The other problem is that I've heard that it needs to be done by somebody that knows what he is doing and has the right tools, or they can royally screw the truck....
Old 02-22-2021, 09:48 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Central IL/ Ft Myers FL
Posts: 494
Received 201 Likes on 118 Posts
Default

2013 was the worst year for DEF in the CTD, year number one for DEF. I bought one new and so did a buddy. We had constant recalls and check engine lights, I traded mine he put about $1500 in so far fixing issues.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:50 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 654
Received 237 Likes on 144 Posts
Default

Deleted my 13. No mo issues
Likes:
Old 02-22-2021, 10:21 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location:
Posts: 1,512
Received 567 Likes on 302 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by offroadr View Post
2013 was the worst year for DEF in the CTD, year number one for DEF. I bought one new and so did a buddy. We had constant recalls and check engine lights, I traded mine he put about $1500 in so far fixing issues.
Same reason I got rid of my '13. Traded it on a '16 and no issues with it while I owned it.
Old 02-22-2021, 01:27 PM
  #9  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,265
Likes: 0
Received 304 Likes on 194 Posts
Default

Anyone knows how to check if the DEF system warranty is extended in a particular year...

Called a local shop... Franks Auto repairs... The owner mentioned that they could do the repair but I should take it to the dealer since "the warranty on the DEF system for that year should have been extended"...

I called the dealer and they are not much help....
Old 02-22-2021, 01:54 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Winter Haven FL
Posts: 1,581
Received 552 Likes on 301 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by emudryj View Post
Anyone knows how to check if the DEF system warranty is extended in a particular year...

Called a local shop... Franks Auto repairs... The owner mentioned that they could do the repair but I should take it to the dealer since "the warranty on the DEF system for that year should have been extended"...

I called the dealer and they are not much help....
I highly doubt it will still be covered, but you will find it in the owner's manual warranty section. I did a simple google search and it told me the longest warranty for emissions parts are 8 years or 80K miles. It looks to me that you are out of warranty.

The choices you have unfortunately is have the stealership do it and take a beating, have a auto repair shop do it and take a little less of a beating, fix it yourself, or delete it.

Call Dodge, you can give them your VIN and they will tell you if anything is covered. That is what I did with my Ford.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:16 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,678
Received 9,370 Likes on 5,082 Posts
Default

Contact factory, or a dealership with big fleet operation.
Old 02-22-2021, 02:25 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kent Island, MD
Posts: 643
Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Default

I'm not trying to cheat death here and am not recommending to do this, but this is exactly what I did. I received the 5MPH MAX speed in 44mi service DEF system See dealer message around 10/20/19. I went to the dealer on 10/24/19 and they performed a diagnostics test. They then showed me an itemized work order totaling $2600 including a parts list and labor. I took a picture of the work order and said no way. I did have to pay $125 for the diagnostics test. I drove home, stayed local, filled up with fresh DEF fluid. I have been driving ever since with no issues. It has been 16 months now and 40K miles. I'm hoping that this doesn't bring me bad karma for telling my story My truck is a 2013 Cummins.
Old 02-23-2021, 04:24 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Winter Haven FL
Posts: 1,581
Received 552 Likes on 301 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by emudryj View Post
Well.. my NOX sensor issues came back, but this time it took the DEF pump with him..

The truck just told me that I had less than 200 miles to get to the dealer, and after that, it will get in limp mode (5MPH max)...

I'm royally pissed off...

I understand that the pump assembly alone is like $800 and NOX sensor $1400 (just the parts).... P$%^@#UCK the EPA!!!!!!!!

Anybody that has gone through the same and has some rough idea on how much the dealer will rape me?
Are you sure the pump isn't working? I thought mine was shot too last week, but after watching this video, it was just the DEF nozzle that was clogged. This nozzle dumps the DEF into the catalytic converter and gets crystalized and clogged. Even though I have an F250, I used this video to show me how to clean it. Principal is the same even though the parts look a little different. And BTW, I was told by the dealer it was a $1500 pump and heater replacement and same procedure at a local mechanic was going to be around $900.

I would at least see if this is the problem before you decide to do any major repair or delete. It's very easy to do and took less than an hour. It actually took more time for the computer to clear the fault code and return to normal driving than cleaning the nozzle.

Here is a link to my post last week and the YouTube video I watched:
F250 6.7 P218F Code

Old 02-23-2021, 07:23 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Virginia
Posts: 458
Received 344 Likes on 175 Posts
Default

Why the hell would you spend upwards of $2,500 for new emissions parts when you can delete it for that price and be completely done with that bull shit forever.8.6.0
Old 02-23-2021, 07:25 AM
  #15  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,265
Likes: 0
Received 304 Likes on 194 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kernmw10 View Post
Why the hell would you spend upwards of $2,500 for new emissions plugs when you can delete it for that price and be completely done with that bull shit forever.
1. not that familiar with deletes and do not know a place I could trust to do it.
2. not sure of the legal consequences in my area. Warranty is not an issue anymore obviously.
Old 02-23-2021, 07:28 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Virginia
Posts: 458
Received 344 Likes on 175 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by emudryj View Post
1. not that familiar with deletes and do not know a place I could trust to do it.
2. not sure of the legal consequences in my area. Warranty is not an issue anymore obviously.
8.6.0

Where do you live? You can find the right shops to do the work - just have to ask around or visit Dodge Ram/Cummins forums or facebook groups for details. I didn't know anyone in my area when I decided to delete my duramax. I joined a facebook group, asked around, and in a matter of weeks my truck was deleted.
Old 02-23-2021, 12:04 PM
  #17  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7,265
Likes: 0
Received 304 Likes on 194 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ByrdmanFL View Post
Are you sure the pump isn't working? I thought mine was shot too last week, but after watching this video, it was just the DEF nozzle that was clogged. This nozzle dumps the DEF into the catalytic converter and gets crystalized and clogged. Even though I have an F250, I used this video to show me how to clean it. Principal is the same even though the parts look a little different. And BTW, I was told by the dealer it was a $1500 pump and heater replacement and same procedure at a local mechanic was going to be around $900.

I would at least see if this is the problem before you decide to do any major repair or delete. It's very easy to do and took less than an hour. It actually took more time for the computer to clear the fault code and return to normal driving than cleaning the nozzle.

Here is a link to my post last week and the YouTube video I watched:
F250 6.7 P218F Code

https://youtu.be/JpL_AFttdXc
I just did it.. there was some crystallization, but it did not seem that bad.. I cleaned everything with steam anyway and put it back together...

My def injector did not have the 3 pinholes like the one on the video... how did you force the computer to clear the fault code?

The only thing it is leading me to believe it is really the pump, it that I disconnected the DEF hose going to the injector and turned the truck on, and nothing was being pumped....
not sure if is there a way to force regen to get the pump to work and see if DEF flows through the hose

Old 02-23-2021, 12:37 PM
  #18  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Niantic, Connecticut
Posts: 15
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Delete it and never look back. It will happen again if you dont. Run a conservative tune on it if you have the 68rfe trans and let it get warm before you goose it.

Anyone buying a used Cummins will not be scared if its deleted the right way and driven appropriately, and your engine will thank you in more ways than just a MPG increase.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:04 PM
  #19  
Senior Member (used to be B-Faithful)Captains Club MemberPLEDGER Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 18,376
Received 2,197 Likes on 1,108 Posts
Default

Difficulty with deleted trucks is that they are becoming difficult to sell. I know the truck must pass inspection upon a sale in MD and they wont pass a truck without emissions systems. If you plan on running it until it has no value then no worries.
Old 02-23-2021, 01:13 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Winter Haven FL
Posts: 1,581
Received 552 Likes on 301 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by emudryj View Post
I just did it.. there was some crystallization, but it did not seem that bad.. I cleaned everything with steam anyway and put it back together...

My def injector did not have the 3 pinholes like the one on the video... how did you force the computer to clear the fault code?

The only thing it is leading me to believe it is really the pump, it that I disconnected the DEF hose going to the injector and turned the truck on, and nothing was being pumped....
not sure if is there a way to force regen to get the pump to work and see if DEF flows through the hose
Did you check the resistance at the pump electrical plug like in the video? I did not, when I saw that everything was crusted up, I hoped that was it and it was. I cleared it with an code reader I had ODB I think, and after about 5 key cycles, it did the regen and I ran the hell out of it as much as I could.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.