Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Trucks & Trailers
Reload this Page >

Pulling Sportsman Open 282 With 07 Lexus GX 470

Notices

Pulling Sportsman Open 282 With 07 Lexus GX 470

Old 02-02-2021, 11:52 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Pulling Sportsman Open 282 With 07 Lexus GX 470

Hello, I'm looking to purchase a Sportsman Open 282 with a dry weight of 5,800 Lbs with a 2007 Lexus GX 470 which is rated for 6500 Lbs for towing. Was hoping to not have to upgrade my vehicle to a HD truck but also want to make sure I'm being safe and not putting myself and others at risk while towing. Any suggestions and advice are much appreciated. In addition if anyone has any pro/cons to the 282 I'd love to hear them, seem to be great bang for your buck.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:53 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 346
Received 412 Likes on 113 Posts
Default

Never go full retard.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:55 AM
  #3  
LMK
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Darien, Ga.
Posts: 150
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Awesome boat
Not nearly enough truck to pull that. You would be putting yourself and others at risk. Stopping will be the problem. I know you said this in your post I am just chiming in with my view and experience to verify what you already think.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:56 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,782
Received 9,410 Likes on 5,107 Posts
Default

Way over weight. Trailer will be north of 1,000 lbs by itself, not counting gear and fuel.

If by towing you mean a short distance to a neighborhood ramp, perhaps. Any distance at all, no chance I would go there.
Old 02-02-2021, 11:58 AM
  #5  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Thanks for the response, any advice on older 2500's that you would recommend?
Old 02-02-2021, 12:00 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,782
Received 9,410 Likes on 5,107 Posts
Default

How will you use it? Local tows, road trips, etc?

Gas burner 2500 would probably be my personal choice. Though to beat a GM 6.0 in terms of reliability and cost to own.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:06 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: S of Tallahassee on Apalachee Bay
Posts: 396
Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Default

I pulled my 2016 260 Twin Vee w/ my 18’ 460 it was ok on short trips also pulled from Palm Beach to Tallahassee with 1/2 ton p/u and it did well on that trip would not recommend long hauls w 460.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:06 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 8
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default

Mostly local trips out of the water for annual service with occasional 4 hour road trip (Maybe 2x a year)
Old 02-02-2021, 12:13 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,782
Received 9,410 Likes on 5,107 Posts
Default

Renting may be an option. Enterprise Truck Rental rents 3/4 and 1 ton pickups. Their truck division is completely separate from their car rental outfit.
Likes:
Old 02-02-2021, 12:17 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 379
Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts
Default

I tow my 6500lb boat with a GX 470 on occasion, it pulls and stops just fine. Round trip is usually 400 miles over up to maybe 1500' elevation, occasionally gaining 4000' on longer trips. Braking is no less reassuring than my Duramax, honestly it has a better feel. I've never seen transmission temps over 215, I've also never seen fuel economy over 10mpg. I don't think it needs to pull anything heavier, but it is far from unsafe or "full retard" with 6500lbs hitched to it towing over our hills. Would I prefer an HD pickup? You bet, I tow it with mine most of the time. Occasionally though I feel like listening to a V8 at 4000rpm and burning gasoline as fast as possible.
Likes:
Old 02-02-2021, 12:26 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Eastern PA, and Northern Neck, VA
Posts: 835
Likes: 0
Received 50 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by RangedYeti View Post
Hello, I'm looking to purchase a Sportsman Open 282 with a dry weight of 5,800 Lbs with a 2007 Lexus GX 470 which is rated for 6500 Lbs for towing. Was hoping to not have to upgrade my vehicle to a HD truck but also want to make sure I'm being safe and not putting myself and others at risk while towing. Any suggestions and advice are much appreciated. In addition if anyone has any pro/cons to the 282 I'd love to hear them, seem to be great bang for your buck.

Thanks in advance.
Dry weight does not typically include engine/s, fuel or water. if you put twins on the boat, gas, water etc... you will be way over the Lexus tow rating. I would think it will be the tail wagging the dog in any emergency situation. Just my two cents
Old 02-02-2021, 12:37 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 346
Received 412 Likes on 113 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ParkRanger View Post
I tow my 6500lb boat with a GX 470 on occasion, it pulls and stops just fine. Round trip is usually 400 miles over up to maybe 1500' elevation, occasionally gaining 4000' on longer trips. Braking is no less reassuring than my Duramax, honestly it has a better feel. I've never seen transmission temps over 215, I've also never seen fuel economy over 10mpg. I don't think it needs to pull anything heavier, but it is far from unsafe or "full retard" with 6500lbs hitched to it towing over our hills. Would I prefer an HD pickup? You bet, I tow it with mine most of the time. Occasionally though I feel like listening to a V8 at 4000rpm and burning gasoline as fast as possible.
He said dry weight... add motors, trailer, gas, gear, etc. Rig is pushing 10k easily. So, yes, never go full retard. If you didn't realize this you may be going full retard as well while towing.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:41 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 379
Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tripleseaz View Post
He said dry weight... add motors, trailer, gas, gear, etc. Rig is pushing 10k easily. So, yes, never go full retard. If you didn't realize this you may be going full retard as well while towing.
That's fine, I was talking about 6500lbs. There was no speculation about his weight in my post, just a relevant, real world response to the exact vehicle in question.
Likes:
Old 02-02-2021, 12:42 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 346
Received 412 Likes on 113 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ParkRanger View Post
That's fine, I was talking about 6500lbs. If you didn't comprehend what I was talking about, well...
So nothing to do with the original question? Okay got it. Full retard.
Likes:
Old 02-02-2021, 12:44 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 379
Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts
Default

Changed my response a bit too slow, oh well.

Answering questions about the exact vehicle he's talking about has nothing to do with his question. Got it.
Old 02-02-2021, 12:47 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 346
Received 412 Likes on 113 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ParkRanger View Post
Changed my response a bit too slow, oh well.

Answering questions about the exact vehicle he's talking about has nothing to do with his question. Got it.
Oh, so, leaving out the most important part of the question.. can his vehicle tow said boat... cmon. Full retard
Old 02-02-2021, 12:53 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 379
Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts
Default

Really? Do I need to highlight it, maybe put it in bold and italics for you? Send it certified mail? I mean c'mon, it was in the same sentence that included the "full retard" comment you are responding to.

"I don't think it needs to pull anything heavier" Seems pretty straightforward to me. Eye of the beholder I suppose.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:03 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 346
Received 412 Likes on 113 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ParkRanger View Post
Really? Do I need to highlight it, maybe put it in bold and italics for you? Send it certified mail? I mean c'mon, it was in the same sentence that included the "full retard" comment you are responding to.

"I don't think it needs to pull anything heavier" Seems pretty straightforward to me. Eye of the beholder I suppose.
You don't think? The answer is absolutely not. Otherwise you leave a possibility for retards like yourself.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:07 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Washington State
Posts: 379
Received 83 Likes on 68 Posts
Default

Everyone has a different way of not comprehending. Best of luck to you.
Old 02-02-2021, 01:13 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 7,069
Received 1,729 Likes on 835 Posts
Default

I would estimate you are looking at a towed weight between 10,000 and 11,000 lbs.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.