Notices

GM 5.3 Vs 6.2

Old 11-12-2020, 07:45 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hubert, NC
Posts: 1,407
Received 1,404 Likes on 688 Posts
Default GM 5.3 Vs 6.2

Looking for thoughts, thinking of finally upgrading from the SUV I have and getting back into a truck. Newer Silverado, kind of like the Trail Boss LT for when I am on the trails and notice it comes in a 5.3 w/ 10 speed or a 6.2/ w/ 10 speed. Like the thought of the increased power but I don't think I will be using that much of eithers towing capacity. Tow a 24ft bay boat or skiff, a utility trailer and not really anything else. So either will do the job, but I can see the big negative to the 6.2 being the premium fuel.

Any thoughts on which path you guys would take or have taking. I am feeling like if I grabbed the 5.3 I may end up in a situation where I would have wanted the 6.2l but at this moment I can't think of any reason.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:59 AM
  #2  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 28
Received 44 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by olsaltydog View Post
Looking for thoughts, thinking of finally upgrading from the SUV I have and getting back into a truck. Newer Silverado, kind of like the Trail Boss LT for when I am on the trails and notice it comes in a 5.3 w/ 10 speed or a 6.2/ w/ 10 speed. Like the thought of the increased power but I don't think I will be using that much of eithers towing capacity. Tow a 24ft bay boat or skiff, a utility trailer and not really anything else. So either will do the job, but I can see the big negative to the 6.2 being the premium fuel.

Any thoughts on which path you guys would take or have taking. I am feeling like if I grabbed the 5.3 I may end up in a situation where I would have wanted the 6.2l but at this moment I can't think of any reason.
I came from a 5.3 .....get the 6.2.
Trust me.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:19 AM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,343
Received 9,221 Likes on 4,978 Posts
Default

Drive both, you will likely end up with the 6.2. Assuming in that configuration the 5.3 has the 3.42 gears. What you definitely don't want is a 5.3 with 3.08 gears...complete dog.

For your intended use either will be fine. You will appreciate the power of the 6.2 if you tow your boat on the interstate. You can run the 6.2 safely on 87, but power will dial back a bit. Still stronger than the 5.3.
Likes:
Old 11-12-2020, 09:22 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Middle Sound, NC
Posts: 1,934
Likes: 0
Received 289 Likes on 180 Posts
Default

ive had three trucks (successively) with the 5.3 IMO no need for the 6.2 (had one of those in a denali) and I hate spending $ on premium fuel. The 5.3 is quick enough for me anyway and tows what I need towed fine (very similar to your towing requirements).
Old 11-12-2020, 09:26 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 761
Received 468 Likes on 275 Posts
Default

unless you are dead set on a silverado, both ram and ford have better quality options IMO. 5.3 is ok, nothing spectacular about it especially when compared to the competition. not much time in a 3.5 ecoboost, but a 5.7 Hemi/8spd is a real fun truck to drive!
Likes:
Old 11-12-2020, 09:38 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Clermont, FL
Posts: 510
Received 219 Likes on 104 Posts
Default

I have the 6.2L and love it.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:04 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hubert, NC
Posts: 1,407
Received 1,404 Likes on 688 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
unless you are dead set on a silverado, both ram and ford have better quality options IMO. 5.3 is ok, nothing spectacular about it especially when compared to the competition. not much time in a 3.5 ecoboost, but a 5.7 Hemi/8spd is a real fun truck to drive!
The Rams have been on the list but I have yet to fully erase the biases I developed with them because of issues we had with them from back in the 90's. Still a sore spot at least for their gas motors, the diesels I have no issues with at all.

I wont lie, I had issues with the 5.3 in my 09 Silverado that had the AFM, had the oil consumption issue but I have had others with no issues and I like them, I know them, and not expecting much difference. Ford I have zero experience with except with what friends and co-workers have had. Tundra is not a bad truck but not worth the price they ask in my mind, they will last though I will give them that.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:13 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hubert, NC
Posts: 1,407
Received 1,404 Likes on 688 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
Drive both, you will likely end up with the 6.2. Assuming in that configuration the 5.3 has the 3.42 gears. What you definitely don't want is a 5.3 with 3.08 gears...complete dog.

For your intended use either will be fine. You will appreciate the power of the 6.2 if you tow your boat on the interstate. You can run the 6.2 safely on 87, but power will dial back a bit. Still stronger than the 5.3.
Nearly all I have seen are coming with the 3.23 but if you get the max trailering package they will add the 3.42 into it. Our Yukon has the 5.3 mated to the 3.42 and it can pull like a champ on the interstate.
Old 11-12-2020, 10:32 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 4,423
Received 1,185 Likes on 649 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by olsaltydog View Post
Nearly all I have seen are coming with the 3.23 but if you get the max trailering package they will add the 3.42 into it. Our Yukon has the 5.3 mated to the 3.42 and it can pull like a champ on the interstate.
If you look at the overall final drive ranges from the 10 speed you see that the 3.42 is less of a requirement. I posted an excel comparison earlier this year... The 10 speeds are a huge improvement from the 8 in many ways.
Likes:
Old 11-12-2020, 11:14 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,343
Received 9,221 Likes on 4,978 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by olsaltydog View Post
Nearly all I have seen are coming with the 3.23 but if you get the max trailering package they will add the 3.42 into it. Our Yukon has the 5.3 mated to the 3.42 and it can pull like a champ on the interstate.
Are they doing 3.23 behind the 5.3 now? Thought that 3.23's were behind 100% of 6.2's, and 5.3's were split between the other two.

If you have experience with the 5.3/3.42 combo, and like it, it's hard to argue with that logic. I've got a lot of time behind the wheel of a Suburban with 3.08's. It tows my 20' dual console satisfactorily, but my brothers 20' CC with a T-Top and my folks pontoon both suck behind it. And I will fully admit...I don't think its possible to have too much power.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:22 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Hubert, NC
Posts: 1,407
Received 1,404 Likes on 688 Posts
Default

Yeah 5.3 matched with the 3.23 is pretty standard at this point. The wife's Yukon has the 8 speed 3.42 with the 5.3 but these new trucks have the 5.3 matched to the 3.42 10 speed which is kind of interesting and something I do want to play with when the monsoon passes today.
Old 11-12-2020, 04:46 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tampa
Posts: 2,036
Received 170 Likes on 104 Posts
Default

For what it’s worth you can probably get into a limited 4x4 tundra for around 45k. I’m biased but I love mine(2020 TRD) and I Gave all major brands a fair shake. Came very close to a gen 2 raptor but the tundra was a safer long term bet for many reasons. The third contender was a 1500 AT4 with the 6.2 which I did like a lot. Just couldn’t get past all the QC issues with GM’s. My wife’s family are all diehard GM and they all drive denali’s and SLT’s, at least they did. They’ve been slowly converting to fords one by one.
Old 11-12-2020, 05:00 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 605
Likes: 0
Received 146 Likes on 74 Posts
Default

so your question is whether to get the gm 5.3 or the 6.2 well that's easy get the 3.5 eco boost kidding I hate fords .I had 2 5.3s one with a 6spd one with the 8spd both 342 rears both problem free I recently went with the 6.2 10 spd 323 a far better combination drive them both the 6.2 is worth the money
Old 11-12-2020, 05:25 PM
  #14  
HTJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Baytown, TX
Posts: 12,118
Received 3,590 Likes on 2,218 Posts
Default

I had two 5.3 trucks and currently a 5.3 Tahoe for a family wagon, never a moment of trouble from any and the 5.3 will readily accomplish any 1/2 ton chores. Is the ego boost or hemi xx% better? Don't know or care.
Old 11-12-2020, 06:42 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

I have an older 5.3 with 335 HP and a 2018 6.2, I would always buy the 6.2 if I had the chance. Lots of 2 lane highway where I live and so much easier to pass slow moving vehicles, why they limit the speed at 98 I do not know.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:07 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Louisiana and Morehead City N.C.
Posts: 12,516
Received 1,323 Likes on 940 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by HTJ View Post
I had two 5.3 trucks and currently a 5.3 Tahoe for a family wagon, never a moment of trouble from any and the 5.3 will readily accomplish any 1/2 ton chores. Is the ego boost or hemi xx% better? Don't know or care.
You ever driven the the 3.5 eco with a mild tune? Just a basic one from 5 star tuning. Puts you way over 400HP and well over 500 torque. Gives a feel similar to a diesel at much lower rpms than N/A motor.

Even without a tune its just not even a fair comparrison pulling wise versus a 5.3 .

In sport mode the Eco is a rocket. Get you in trouble real quick.I was doing 120 and damn thing was still pulling hard.
Old 11-12-2020, 07:58 PM
  #17  
HTJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Baytown, TX
Posts: 12,118
Received 3,590 Likes on 2,218 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by captain28570 View Post
You ever driven the the 3.5 eco with a mild tune? Just a basic one from 5 star tuning. Puts you way over 400HP and well over 500 torque. Gives a feel similar to a diesel at much lower rpms than N/A motor.

Even without a tune its just not even a fair comparrison pulling wise versus a 5.3 .

In sport mode the Eco is a rocket. Get you in trouble real quick.I was doing 120 and damn thing was still pulling hard.
You ever pulled a 36' gooseneck full of cattle with a carbed 260 HP 5.7?

I drug a biggish 25' boat around the western Gulf with both my 5.7 trucks and while there were plenty of times I wanted more chassis under me I never needed to go any faster.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:35 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Baton Rouge, LA
Posts: 9,212
Received 1,243 Likes on 444 Posts
Default

The 6.2 is worth every penny of additional cost and the price of premium fuel. It’s the best motor ever produced.
Old 11-12-2020, 09:07 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: On the Flats
Posts: 7,783
Received 1,290 Likes on 593 Posts
Default

6.2.....no comparison. I am on my third and had two 5.3’s.
Old 11-12-2020, 11:18 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Charlotte NC Area
Posts: 281
Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by olsaltydog View Post
Looking for thoughts, thinking of finally upgrading from the SUV I have and getting back into a truck. Newer Silverado, kind of like the Trail Boss LT for when I am on the trails and notice it comes in a 5.3 w/ 10 speed or a 6.2/ w/ 10 speed. Like the thought of the increased power but I don't think I will be using that much of eithers towing capacity. Tow a 24ft bay boat or skiff, a utility trailer and not really anything else. So either will do the job, but I can see the big negative to the 6.2 being the premium fuel.

Any thoughts on which path you guys would take or have taking. I am feeling like if I grabbed the 5.3 I may end up in a situation where I would have wanted the 6.2l but at this moment I can't think of any reason.
I had a 2013 Sierra with the 5.3, and updated to a 2018 with a 6.2. I will not ever go back, the 6.2 is that much better. I used to get around 18MPG with the 5.3, I am getting 21-22 MPG with the 6.2. And it is a Crew cab Denali the 5.3 was a Regular cab SL.

As for Premium fuel, I buy my gas at BJ's, Costco or Lowes foods they are typically $.20 - $.30 cents higher for premium instead of $.60 - $.80 like most gas stations.
As somebody posted above you won't hurt anything by running 87 if need be. I have actually done it when I on a trip, and only noticed 1 MPG less, just not quite all the power when running on 87.
Good luck with your decision,
Aflyer


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.