Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Trucks & Trailers
Reload this Page >

Please School Me On Hitch Receivers

Notices

Please School Me On Hitch Receivers

Old 10-23-2020, 08:08 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,762
Received 199 Likes on 121 Posts
Default Please School Me On Hitch Receivers

I’ve owned 5 trucks over the years and have been towing boats on trailers that weighed a few thousand pounds up to about 9,000 lbs.

So, a week ago I picked up a 2020 Ford F250 to tow a 12,000 lb boat I just purchased

Tonight, I went through my collection of tow hitches and tow balls that I’ve used over the years to move the new triple axle trailer so I could pull the boat out of the water and WTF, every hitch rattled around in the tow hitch receiver like a tooth pick in a toilet bowl

I thought tow hitch receivers were stock when it came to sizing—-one size fits all. I have tow hitches rated for 11,000 lbs that came with my Tundra—-when placed in the receiver of the Ford F250 it hangs at a 45 degree angle—-huge amount of slop

Is it a Ford hitch thing or is it when you go from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton, the hitch receiver diameter increases?

Thanks for any comments out there

Last edited by marketic; 10-23-2020 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:35 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 236
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
Default

Bigger truck, bigger hitch. Go by O'Reilly and get a new tow bar.
Old 10-23-2020, 08:38 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,056
Received 311 Likes on 177 Posts
Default

Most 250s these days come with a 2.5" hitch. The heavy tow option on the 250 and the 350 get 3" htiches. You should have an adapter that came with the truck
Likes:
Old 10-23-2020, 10:31 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 165
Received 64 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

That up there. A bigger tube with the same thickness can support more. Don't ask me how, I just go with it.
Old 10-23-2020, 11:26 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,762
Received 199 Likes on 121 Posts
Default

OK, i saw adapters available that will make a 2” bar fit in a 2 1/2” receiver but I’m thinking it’s probably better (safer?) to just pick up a proper 2 1/2” hitch ball mount....thanks....now I get to stare at a large pile of 2” ball mounts that I can’t use any more....
Old 10-24-2020, 06:01 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,329
Received 9,216 Likes on 4,974 Posts
Default

Do it once and be done. Can even add a Pintle head if needed.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...rt/C45902.html
Old 10-24-2020, 06:27 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 349
Likes: 0
Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BadgerS View Post
Most 250s these days come with a 2.5" hitch. The heavy tow option on the 250 and the 350 get 3" htiches. You should have an adapter that came with the truck

Not so according to my dealer......When I bought my 2020 F-250SD in January, I was told Ford stopped including them with the truck, but I could pick one up at the parts department for $70. FTS!

Tractor supply is where I bought my new 2 1/2" ball mounts.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:40 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Over Yonder
Posts: 911
Received 50 Likes on 28 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by marketic View Post
OK, i saw adapters available that will make a 2Ē bar fit in a 2 1/2Ē receiver but Iím thinking itís probably better (safer?) to just pick up a proper 2 1/2Ē hitch ball mount....thanks....now I get to stare at a large pile of 2Ē ball mounts that I canít use any more....
No, you can still get the adapter sleeve.
Likes:
Old 10-24-2020, 06:43 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,800
Received 637 Likes on 331 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by marketic View Post
I’ve owned 5 trucks over the years and have been towing boats on trailers that weighed a few thousand pounds up to about 9,000 lbs.

So, a week ago I picked up a 2020 Ford F250 to tow a 12,000 lb boat I just purchased

Tonight, I went through my collection of tow hitches and tow balls that I’ve used over the years to move the new triple axle trailer so I could pull the boat out of the water and WTF, every hitch rattled around in the tow hitch receiver like a tooth pick in a toilet bowl

I thought tow hitch receivers were stock when it came to sizing—-one size fits all. I have tow hitches rated for 11,000 lbs that came with my Tundra—-when placed in the receiver of the Ford F250 it hangs at a 45 degree angle—-huge amount of slop

Is it a Ford hitch thing or is it when you go from a 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton, the hitch receiver diameter increases?

Thanks for any comments out there
The receiver comes in three classes, class III 1/78, class IV 2", class V 2.5, make sure to get the appropriate draw bar and ball.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:57 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Clayton/NC Coast
Posts: 3,062
Received 231 Likes on 123 Posts
Default

When I bought my Ram 2500 I ordered a Gen-Y Mega Duty drop hitch ball mount. The mount is rated for twice the capacity of my truck but the thing I like most about it is there is no slop in it. I have never been big on adapters as most that I have used ended up adding even more play in the mount. The Gen-Y was expensive but fits better than any other mount I have tried in the past.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:03 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Clearwater, FL
Posts: 641
Received 324 Likes on 143 Posts
Default

I went from 150 to 250 recently. 2" to 2.5". I purchased this B&W and have been happy with it. I like the stow away feature.

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hit...hoC7gsQAvD_BwE
Old 10-24-2020, 07:52 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Virginia
Posts: 434
Received 335 Likes on 167 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by budbrande View Post
When I bought my Ram 2500 I ordered a Gen-Y Mega Duty drop hitch ball mount. The mount is rated for twice the capacity of my truck but the thing I like most about it is there is no slop in it. I have never been big on adapters as most that I have used ended up adding even more play in the mount. The Gen-Y was expensive but fits better than any other mount I have tried in the past.
x2 on the Gen-Y. I bought one as well for my duramax. I like the adjustability and utility. Iíve got a 1 7/8 ball for a small jon boat I use for waterfowl hunting, 2 inch ball for my utility trailer and 2 5/16 ball for the center console boat. Iíve also got the pintle option which I seldom use but itís nice to have the capability. Itís a big, heavy hitch. Solid shank and strong. Iíve heard great things about the bulletproof hitches, B&W and rhino hitches too. They are all good.
Old 10-24-2020, 05:28 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,762
Received 199 Likes on 121 Posts
Default

Just spent the day trying to source a CLass V hitch locally——total waste of time. Inventory is either cleaned out, or the available applications wouldn’t work:

1)) I found two 2 1/2” adapter sleaves, thinking I could use my existing 2” ball mount—- either too long (rear of the adapter hit the spare tire so pin holes wouldn’t line up ) or...adapter was too short: welds on the lip of the adapter wouldn’t allow for sufficient penetration into the hitch receiver for the holes to line up
2)) Finally found a Class V Reese 2 1/2” hitch at another store but I got spooked by the placement of the pin holes—-they were in the extreme rear of the ball mount bar which meant at best, I’d have 3” of penetration into the receiver with approx. 12” of bar hanging out—-that looked super sketchy to me having all that tongue weight with only 3” of penetration of the 2 1/2” bar

Got home to my PC and did what I should have done yesterday: ordered the B&W suggested by swampr, knowing that at least it’ll fit into the receiver hitch of an F250

I didn’t think things had gotten so complex—-it almost looked to me like Ford was placing their pin holes in the receiving hitch so as to exclude certain other manufacturer’s towing stuff

You’d think there would be some industry agreement on this...no such luck
Old 10-24-2020, 07:51 PM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: SoFla
Posts: 90
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by toemandooug View Post
Not so according to my dealer......When I bought my 2020 F-250SD in January, I was told Ford stopped including them with the truck, but I could pick one up at the parts department for $70. FTS!

Tractor supply is where I bought my new 2 1/2" ball mounts.
not to sidetrack the thread but you bought a truck that was at least $70k and they couldnít give you a $70 part? If I bought a vehicle from them it woulda been the last one after that.
Old 10-24-2020, 08:22 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,329
Received 9,216 Likes on 4,974 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
not to sidetrack the thread but you bought a truck that was at least $70k and they couldnít give you a $70 part? If I bought a vehicle from them it woulda been the last one after that.
understand your logic, but those adapters are garbage and rattle like hell. Why would anyone want a rattling hitch in a 70k truck. Or a $5 truck.
Old 10-24-2020, 09:13 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Baton Rouge Area
Posts: 366
Received 103 Likes on 57 Posts
Default

Get this in the 2.5” shaft and never look back.
Weigh-Safe
Old 10-24-2020, 09:26 PM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Location: SoFla
Posts: 90
Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
understand your logic, but those adapters are garbage and rattle like hell. Why would anyone want a rattling hitch in a 70k truck. Or a $5 truck.
completely different aspect. Certainly could have told him to go get whatever he wanted up to a reasonable amount and bring them the receipt. I would have. Simple point I was making is he bought quite an expensive vehicle and the dealer told him to go pound sand when he asked for one. Now here he is telling us on a public forum his tale of woe instead of bragging how the dealer took care of him. How many other people has he told that same thing too? Like I said that woulda been the last vehicle I bought from them.
Old 10-24-2020, 10:24 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 349
Likes: 0
Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by 7.62Kolectr View Post
completely different aspect. Certainly could have told him to go get whatever he wanted up to a reasonable amount and bring them the receipt. I would have. Simple point I was making is he bought quite an expensive vehicle and the dealer told him to go pound sand when he asked for one. Now here he is telling us on a public forum his tale of woe instead of bragging how the dealer took care of him. How many other people has he told that same thing too? Like I said that woulda been the last vehicle I bought from them.

Yup! This exactly.......Expensive Brand new truck, and the dealer wouldn't cover it....I have let everyone I know hear my bitch....LOL......Had they provided it, I would have told everyone that story instead........someone gets the point.....
Old 10-25-2020, 08:21 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Virginia
Posts: 1,373
Received 805 Likes on 441 Posts
Default

Check out bullet proof hitches they have what you're looking for.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:18 AM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,329
Received 9,216 Likes on 4,974 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by toemandooug View Post
Yup! This exactly.......Expensive Brand new truck, and the dealer wouldn't cover it....I have let everyone I know hear my bitch....LOL......Had they provided it, I would have told everyone that story instead........someone gets the point.....
what else is the dealer supposed to throw in for free? Itís the factory that cheaped out, why take it out on the dealer and press their margins over something menial?

Last edited by autobaun70; 10-25-2020 at 09:38 AM.
Likes:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.