Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Trucks & Trailers
Reload this Page >

Truck for pulling 24 foot bay? Thoughts.

Notices

Truck for pulling 24 foot bay? Thoughts.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:42 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 24
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Truck for pulling 24 foot bay? Thoughts.

Looking at getting something like a sea hunt 24BX. I have an 02 f150 with the towing package and 5.4. It says I can pull about 8500lb. Some of the new f150s say 11000 pounds towing capacity. Iím not stuck on fords itís just what I currently have. Would a diesel be better or is it really needed. For stopping power I believe the diesel would be better due to weight. Thoughts! Thanks!
Old 08-02-2020, 11:47 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 600
Received 256 Likes on 128 Posts
Default

You donít need a 3/4 ton diesel to pull a bx24. Keep the trailer brakes in good condition and your set.
Old 08-02-2020, 11:55 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: AL
Posts: 4,536
Received 770 Likes on 415 Posts
Default

you don't say how far you will be pulling either. If you are pulling several hours to the coast 2 x a month a diesel may be worth it. If you are pulling 5 miles to the local ramp then no way do you need a diesel.

yes, your f150 will be more than adequate for that boat, unless there is some other reason we dont have.
Likes:
Old 08-02-2020, 11:56 AM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Swoope, VA
Posts: 67
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

I don't see a need for a diesel with that at all. What's it weight? Can't be more than 8,500 I wouldn't think. The truck you have is probably fine. If your trailer brakes are working and the truck brakes are working "stopping power" should be just fine.
Likes:
Old 08-02-2020, 12:01 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tarpon Springs
Posts: 5,593
Received 1,097 Likes on 632 Posts
Default

Towing a boat or load is one thing....stopping it is another story. Going 60+ MPH on interstate and having to stop in a hurry can be stressful. I love our diesel and it tows beautifully but I’d think a good 1/2 ton would be fine depending on capacity and making sure your trailer has brakes on BOTH axels.
Likes:
Old 08-02-2020, 12:01 PM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East Central Florida
Posts: 6,675
Received 1,390 Likes on 693 Posts
Default

A BX24 should be right around 5000-5500 total towed weight? Not a problem for a 5.4l F150.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:07 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 791
Received 1,173 Likes on 550 Posts
Default


Old 08-02-2020, 12:59 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Margate NJ Barnegat light NJ
Posts: 703
Received 226 Likes on 127 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Skunked22 View Post
Looking at getting something like a sea hunt 24BX. I have an 02 f150 with the towing package and 5.4. It says I can pull about 8500lb. Some of the new f150s say 11000 pounds towing capacity. Iím not stuck on fords itís just what I currently have. Would a diesel be better or is it really needed. For stopping power I believe the diesel would be better due to weight. Thoughts! Thanks!
i pull my 25b contender with a 2017 Tacoma. No issues on the highway,
id imagine any f150 for be fine.
Likes:
Old 08-02-2020, 01:44 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Posts: 331
Received 262 Likes on 119 Posts
Default

Any 1/2 ton truck will pull a 24í bay boat just fine. My F150 eco boost drags my 25í Parker (very heavy boat for its size) around without any issues.
Likes:
Old 08-02-2020, 01:50 PM
  #10  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 24
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Sounds awesome guys! I live about 2 hours from Morehead and a couple from Rose bay. Wish I was closer. I currently have an 18 foot stratos bass boat Iím thinking of parting with to get another bay boat. Thanks
Old 08-02-2020, 01:51 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 147
Received 54 Likes on 27 Posts
Default

Any properly equipped 1/2 ton...not ďanyĒ half ton. Also thereís a pretty distinct difference from ďjust fineĒ to ďreally wellď.
Likes:
Old 08-02-2020, 02:03 PM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,824
Received 178 Likes on 111 Posts
Default

You need to figure out the total weight ready to launch and compare that to the tow rating of your truck. Tally up the weights for the hull, motor, fuel, gear, and the trailer. My guess is that the total weight will be around 5000 give or take.

While a Ford 5.4 is not the most powerful half ton truck, I think you will be just fine if it has a tow package and frame mounted hitch.
Likes:
Old 08-02-2020, 02:31 PM
  #13  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 24
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by capt_matt View Post
You need to figure out the total weight ready to launch and compare that to the tow rating of your truck. Tally up the weights for the hull, motor, fuel, gear, and the trailer. My guess is that the total weight will be around 5000 give or take.

While a Ford 5.4 is not the most powerful half ton truck, I think you will be just fine if it has a tow package and frame mounted hitch.
yes, I have the frame mounted hitch and the towing package.
when I get ready to get one I wanted to make sure I had enough truck to pull it. Iíve been on the wrong end one time when I had more boat than truck😳
Old 08-04-2020, 11:01 AM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 79
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

My son's 01 F150 Supercrew FX4 ( same motor) pulls our 24ft Bay Champ just fine, but on a 2 hour round trip it burns a whole tank of gas. My 12 F150 Supercrew does much better in the mpg department. Not saying you should get a new truck, just don't expect to get very good mileage.
Old 08-04-2020, 11:09 AM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: Central Massachusetts
Posts: 58
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default

My boat is about 8500# and it was not fun towing in a 1/2 ton. I actually enjoy towing it with the 3/4 ton and would be willing to go anywhere. If you are considering buying a truck is there any possibility you get a bigger boat in the future? Sucks to have a truck paid off to buy s bigger boat and need to upgrade. That's what I did.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:12 PM
  #16  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 24
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by default_user8 View Post
My son's 01 F150 Supercrew FX4 ( same motor) pulls our 24ft Bay Champ just fine, but on a 2 hour round trip it burns a whole tank of gas. My 12 F150 Supercrew does much better in the mpg department. Not saying you should get a new truck, just don't expect to get very good mileage.
I could see mine burning that much fuel. Itís long been paid for and runs great! 220000 miles. Thanks for the reply!
Old 08-04-2020, 07:18 PM
  #17  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Posts: 24
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Drifting_along View Post
My boat is about 8500# and it was not fun towing in a 1/2 ton. I actually enjoy towing it with the 3/4 ton and would be willing to go anywhere. If you are considering buying a truck is there any possibility you get a bigger boat in the future? Sucks to have a truck paid off to buy s bigger boat and need to upgrade. That's what I did.
Iím really torn on the new/ used truck. Mine runs great! The issue is itís a regular cab. 220,000 miles. The miles donít bother me because I know the truck. My kids ask me how long will I be driving it, I tell them I have no idea. Iíd hate to part with something thatís been this good. I have contemplated a used 3/4 ton. My current boat is an 18 foot stratos bass boat. In the next year Iíd like to part with it and step back into a bay boat. Iím thinking a 24 foot. Thanks for the reply!
Old 08-04-2020, 07:35 PM
  #18  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2020
Posts: 79
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Skunked22 View Post
I could see mine burning that much fuel. Itís long been paid for and runs great! 220000 miles. Thanks for the reply!
I bought my truck with 173K on the clock and ended up passing it down to my son when he started driving. The transmission in mine gave up at around 230K, and we had it rebuilt since it is Ford's high performance transmission. The truck is about to turn over to 290K and runs like a brand new truck, so he nor I have any intention of getting rid of it. I say since your's is paid in full roll it til you decide you just cant' stand pulling your boat with it anymore and go get something new.
Old 08-05-2020, 06:37 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,861
Received 411 Likes on 261 Posts
Default

The truck you have is good and made to do this. Run her till she dies.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.