Notices

2020 Ford F-250 7.3L *Test Drive*

Old 01-01-2020, 04:41 PM
  #81  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ft myers
Posts: 1,110
Received 125 Likes on 78 Posts
Default

Nope, 12-13 mpg but not highway at all
Old 01-01-2020, 04:42 PM
  #82  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 1,637
Received 764 Likes on 404 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WolpackVO View Post
Nope, 12-13 mpg but not highway at all
12-13 mpg in town with either truck?

Please clarify.
Old 01-01-2020, 04:43 PM
  #83  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ft myers
Posts: 1,110
Received 125 Likes on 78 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
12-13 mpg in town with either truck?

Please clarify.
both 6.0 and 6.6 gas trucks are 12-13 mpg avg
Old 01-01-2020, 04:44 PM
  #84  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 1,637
Received 764 Likes on 404 Posts
Default

Thx. I am in the market now and leaning toward the 6.6l gas. Reviews I have seen agree with your experience.
Old 01-01-2020, 05:35 PM
  #85  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 3,769
Received 1,243 Likes on 590 Posts
Default

Holy crap. I had a carbureted 1986 F250 2 wd 460 non-overdrive 4 speed with 4.10 gears that got 14 mpg.
Do you use the throttle like a toggle switch?
Old 01-01-2020, 05:46 PM
  #86  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Spring hill, FL
Posts: 406
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts
Default

Wow my 6 spd 2017 6.7 F250 4x4 was 17.6 mpg local driving highway 19 mpg @75mph.
Old 01-01-2020, 07:34 PM
  #87  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 1,152
Received 317 Likes on 148 Posts
Default

My F-250 6.2 gets 15mpg average, and 17mpg highway. I would expect the 7.3 with the 10-speed to get the same on the highway, but worse in the city.
Likes:
Old 01-01-2020, 09:14 PM
  #88  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location:
Posts: 1,351
Received 480 Likes on 246 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lovegettinsnooked View Post
Wow my 6 spd 2017 6.7 F250 4x4 was 17.6 mpg local driving highway 19 mpg @75mph.
You must drive downhill a lot. My Ď17 is more like 15-15.5 daily and 18 highway. Flat ground. The 6.7 is a strong engine but fuel economy lags behind the CTD by a few mpg.
Likes:
Old 01-02-2020, 04:13 AM
  #89  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 257
Received 96 Likes on 47 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by berrie View Post
My F-250 6.2 gets 15mpg average, and 17mpg highway. I would expect the 7.3 with the 10-speed to get the same on the highway, but worse in the city.

I have a 2019 F-350 Dually 6.2 with 4.30 gears and I get 11-12 around town and maybe 14 on the highway, if I keep it 65 or under.
Old 01-02-2020, 07:12 AM
  #90  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Posts: 244
Received 108 Likes on 61 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by patro View Post
After much thought I decided to stay in my Ď16 a little longer. Itís in great condition and only has 65k miles. The Ď20 is a great truck and the 7.3L performed well. There wasnít anything in particular that turned me off from buying it other than just not being sure on giving up the diesel. I donít need the diesel to tow my boat but it sure makes the job easy.


If it ain't broke, don't fix it! Thanks for the much-anticipated 7.3 review though. I have an '18 F250 CC with the 6.2 and I love that truck my only beef is the smallish gas tank for the size of the truck... if they managed to squeeze a 48 gal in the crew cabs that would be a huge improvement.
Old 01-02-2020, 05:27 PM
  #91  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: RI
Posts: 1,637
Received 764 Likes on 404 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WolpackVO View Post
both 6.0 and 6.6 gas trucks are 12-13 mpg avg
How many miles on the new 6.6?

What model trucks (SRW, DRW, CC...)

Thx.
Old 01-03-2020, 12:43 AM
  #92  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ft myers
Posts: 1,110
Received 125 Likes on 78 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BillTex View Post
How many miles on the new 6.6?

What model trucks (SRW, DRW, CC...)

Thx.
double cab long bed 2500hd 4x4....5k miles so far
Old 01-03-2020, 11:14 AM
  #93  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 219
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by patro View Post
Ranges anywhere from $0.30 - $0.50 more per gallon here. Gas makes the most sense for me but after driving a diesel for the past 5 years it has spoiled me.
You have money to burn! Go ahead and get that new F-450 Platinum. I'm sure the wife won't mind!
Old 01-03-2020, 12:27 PM
  #94  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Albany, GA
Posts: 237
Received 84 Likes on 46 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by WolpackVO View Post
i highly doubt that. We have a 2020 6.6 and a 2016 6.0...the 2020 is a lot bigger and heavier truck, the new 6.6 is still with the outdated 6 speed and we cannot tell a difference in power between the trucks
seriously? I drove a 2020 6.6 the other day and it had boatloads more torque, especially under 2500rpms than any 6.0 truck I've ever been in. I was very impressed at how it handled and felt, I did not feel it was underpowered whatsoever in contrast to most of the 3/4 ton gas trucks I've driven for extended periods of time

Aftermarket tuning will really open the 6.6's potential up, it has huge potential for aftermarket support.
Old 01-03-2020, 04:15 PM
  #95  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Ft myers
Posts: 1,110
Received 125 Likes on 78 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dawgsfish View Post
seriously? I drove a 2020 6.6 the other day and it had boatloads more torque, especially under 2500rpms than any 6.0 truck I've ever been in. I was very impressed at how it handled and felt, I did not feel it was underpowered whatsoever in contrast to most of the 3/4 ton gas trucks I've driven for extended periods of time

Aftermarket tuning will really open the 6.6's potential up, it has huge potential for aftermarket support.
Iíll just quote truck trend
ďthis new drivetrain failed to really impress our judges. Our working theory is that it has little to do with the engine and everything to do with the choice to back it with just six cogs. The Silverado Custom produced one of the slowest 0 to 60 times at the track and found itself near the bottom in every other performance-oriented testĒ
Likes:
Old 02-03-2020, 10:42 AM
  #96  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Posts: 237
Received 111 Likes on 51 Posts
Default

TFL truck just ran the Ford 7.3L V8 up the Ike Gauntlet with 16,000 pounds in tow. The Ford Big Block blew the Chevy out of the water, not even comparable. The 6.6 could not maintain the speed limit and at one point slowed to 35 MPH. The 7.3L never dropped below the speed limit and finished 3 minutes sooner! 3 minutes in 8 miles is an eternity. Itís safe to say the 7.3 GodZilla is in a class of its own. They said the 7.3 gasoline V8 earned the highest score of any gas powered truck for this test.

Old 02-03-2020, 12:47 PM
  #97  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 1,532
Received 335 Likes on 263 Posts
Default

As the above test showed, towing really heavy and the 7.3 is the strongest gas engine out there. But the 6.6 GM engine gets slightly better fuel mileage. They're talking 16 mpg on the 7.3 on the open road unloaded, and who knows what it's going to get after getting broken in.

But if you're driving the 3/4-1 ton truck as a daily driver and are towing 10,000 lbs. from time to time max, the 6.2 will do you a better job. The unloaded 6.2 returns 14.5 mpg approx. in the city and about 17 mpg on the road.

I still prefer the quality of the cab and upholstery of the Ford trucks. And the ride and handling has been substantially improved for 2020--much different from the 2019 and previous models. (Mine is a 2003 F250 Lariat 7.3 diesel--17 years old.)
Old 02-03-2020, 01:01 PM
  #98  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: CT
Posts: 5,524
Received 3,425 Likes on 1,639 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
But if you're driving the 3/4-1 ton truck as a daily driver and are towing 10,000 lbs. from time to time max, the 6.2 will do you a better job. The unloaded 6.2 returns 14.5 mpg approx. in the city and about 17 mpg on the road.
My 2018 F350 SRW with the 6.2 doesn’t even get close to those numbers. No tow load and the truck bed empty with a mix of local and highway driving, my average is between 12.5 -13.2. I don’t like to waste $ on brake pad replacements and can assure you those numbers are not a reflection of screaming up to stop signs and red lights with hard acceleration between stops. Great truck but anyone expecting to see anything like 17 mpg on the highway is going to be very disappointed......
Old 02-03-2020, 04:52 PM
  #99  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,103
Received 141 Likes on 94 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JExpedition07 View Post
TFL truck just ran the Ford 7.3L V8 up the Ike Gauntlet with 16,000 pounds in tow. The Ford Big Block blew the Chevy out of the water, not even comparable. The 6.6 could not maintain the speed limit and at one point slowed to 35 MPH. The 7.3L never dropped below the speed limit and finished 3 minutes sooner! 3 minutes in 8 miles is an eternity. Itís safe to say the 7.3 GodZilla is in a class of its own. They said the 7.3 gasoline V8 earned the highest score of any gas powered truck for this test.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4HiR9dxvGLY
I imagine these guys are beholden to the manuf for the power train combo that is sent for testing. The 7.3 had 4.30 rear gearing and I think I remember seeing the 6.6 (silver truck?) had a 3.73 rear. I am not sure any valid comparison can be made here. Put the same rear gearing in them both and run them. The ford should still best the 6.6 chev but Iíll bet the gap would be much smaller.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:04 PM
  #100  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location:
Posts: 3,769
Received 1,243 Likes on 590 Posts
Default

Don't think so. All the Chevy had to do was downshift.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.