Notices
Like Tree31Likes

Tesla Pickup Truck

Old 11-09-2019, 05:40 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 2,346
Default Tesla Pickup Truck

Just watched the ad for the new Tesla Pickup....any takers?

Might actually work for those of us towing 2-3 miles to the ramp and back....and with a small boat...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/08/succe...eal/index.html

Last edited by jhendric; 11-09-2019 at 05:41 AM. Reason: speling
jhendric is online now  
Old 11-09-2019, 07:06 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,275
Default

For so many people these days a pick up truck is just for show and status quo, just like chicks buying Jeeps.

As they say, "if you build it people will buy it".

The low range pickup truck/ vehicle has it's place in the marketplace.
Garett is offline  
Old 11-09-2019, 07:10 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Boca Raton
Posts: 1,703
Default

Guy next to me the other day launched his Jetski with a Model 3... I'll expect to see a bunch of these pickup trucks when they come out.
jheiii is offline  
Old 11-09-2019, 07:52 AM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 73
Default

After experiencing the torque and regenerative braking in Tesla cars, there’s no way I’d even consider buying a gas/diesel truck once the Tesla truck comes out.
COrocket is offline  
Old 11-09-2019, 07:59 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Gulf Shores, Alabama
Posts: 4,048
Default

With a starting price of around $50K you'll never pay for the the extra cost unless you are a high mileage user or a person who (like me) who keeps a truck until it just starts costing too much to maintain. If, on the other hand, you want to be green it makes sense.
Butch Davis is offline  
Old 11-09-2019, 08:20 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SWFL
Posts: 2,227
Default

Originally Posted by Butch Davis View Post
......If, on the other hand, you want to be green it makes sense.
But, is it really green? Where does that electricity come from? Could be fossil fueled plants.
baitkiller and BOSBoatMan like this.
phillyg is offline  
Old 11-09-2019, 08:42 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,131
Default

Originally Posted by Butch Davis View Post
With a starting price of around $50K you'll never pay for the the extra cost unless you are a high mileage user or a person who (like me) who keeps a truck until it just starts costing too much to maintain. If, on the other hand, you want to be green it makes sense.
Where did you see a $50 price point for the truck?? I know Musk said it would be nice to be at $49K but he previously said it would have to be over $70K and folks are thinking it's probably closer to $79K for the base model when it debuts.
km1125 is offline  
Old 11-09-2019, 08:52 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,275
Default

Originally Posted by Butch Davis View Post
With a starting price of around $50K you'll never pay for the the extra cost unless you are a high mileage user or a person who (like me) who keeps a truck until it just starts costing too much to maintain. If, on the other hand, you want to be green it makes sense.
The bitch of it is if it is going to cost you $20k to put new batteries in it 10 years down the road are you going to spend $20k on a 10 year old truck with 10 yr old technology? I know damn sure I wouldn't be! And that is why I feel right now the electric vehicle is a Very Expensive throw-a-way vehicle with Lousy resale value on the older models. IMO the depreciation curve will be BIG and very painful.
Garett is offline  
Old 11-09-2019, 08:55 AM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 73
Default

Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
But, is it really green? Where does that electricity come from? Could be fossil fueled plants.
Powering an EV from the current mix of US grid sources (including fossil fuel plants) is still cuts emissions by over half compared to driving an equivalent gas car.

It’s simply more efficient to produce energy in one large optimized plant than to have thousands of smaller sources simultaneously. Hence why electricity grids exist, and everyone’s house isn’t powered by a generator in the back yard.

As renewable energy continues to drive to a lower price point than fossil fuels, EVs will continue to get “greener” as our grid gradually shifts.

https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/ele...emissions.html
COrocket is offline  
Old 11-09-2019, 09:01 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deale, MD
Posts: 2,310
Default

I'm not convinced the Tesla company will still be around in 10-15 years.

Just my opinion and I don't have any info to back that opinion up, just seems doubtful to me.
wareagle5.0 likes this.
Tawn is offline  
Old 11-09-2019, 10:24 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,131
Default

Originally Posted by COrocket View Post


Powering an EV from the current mix of US grid sources (including fossil fuel plants) is still cuts emissions by over half compared to driving an equivalent gas car.

It’s simply more efficient to produce energy in one large optimized plant than to have thousands of smaller sources simultaneously. Hence why electricity grids exist, and everyone’s house isn’t powered by a generator in the back yard.

As renewable energy continues to drive to a lower price point than fossil fuels, EVs will continue to get “greener” as our grid gradually shifts.

https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/ele...emissions.html
It's not really half, and what advantage there is is because of Nuclear and Hydro power, both which is diminish or be eliminated in the future. That study is biased in a couple ways too, where they use the average CAFE mileage for gas-powered vehicles (24) instead of a high mileage vehicle and use the best w/mi (320) for the electric vehicle.

Heck, an F150 with ecoboost gets that kind of mileage.
wareagle5.0 likes this.
km1125 is offline  
Old 11-09-2019, 10:46 AM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 73
Default

Originally Posted by km1125 View Post
It's not really half, and what advantage there is is because of Nuclear and Hydro power, both which is diminish or be eliminated in the future. That study is biased in a couple ways too, where they use the average CAFE mileage for gas-powered vehicles (24) instead of a high mileage vehicle and use the best w/mi (320) for the electric vehicle.

Heck, an F150 with ecoboost gets that kind of mileage.
I’d say those numbers are fair. If you compare the 24 MPG gas car average against an average EV, 320 wh/mile is a fair assumption. The Tesla X is an 8 passenger SUV with a curb weight of over 5000 lbs, and averages 350 wh/mile. Smaller sedans like the Tesla 3 is rated 250 wh/mile. So 320 wh/mile sounds like a generous average, not best case. Either way, you’d still need a car to get over 90 MPG to match even the largest EVs. I’d expect the new Tesla truck to hit numbers similar to the Model X and be rated at 80+ MPGe
COrocket is offline  
Old 11-09-2019, 11:56 AM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Miami,FL
Posts: 1,106
Default

The one question remains. Will it have a frame or uni-body? Since some people don’t consider a uni-body truck a truck.
silver01 is offline  
Old 11-09-2019, 03:53 PM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Location: FL
Posts: 39
Default

Originally Posted by COrocket View Post


Powering an EV from the current mix of US grid sources (including fossil fuel plants) is still cuts emissions by over half compared to driving an equivalent gas car.

It’s simply more efficient to produce energy in one large optimized plant than to have thousands of smaller sources simultaneously. Hence why electricity grids exist, and everyone’s house isn’t powered by a generator in the back yard.

As renewable energy continues to drive to a lower price point than fossil fuels, EVs will continue to get “greener” as our grid gradually shifts.

https://afdc.energy.gov/vehicles/ele...emissions.html
What about the emissions from producing the metal, plastic and rubber parts? And how much is produced to manufacture the batteries and what about the environmental impact of disposing the batteries?
Don't forget the metals need to expand the grid to recharge.

Can't wait for the electric airplanes next.
quetip is offline  
Old 11-09-2019, 05:59 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: st augustine fl
Posts: 7,370
Default

The carbon footprint of a typical e car is close to a typical honda civic over 100,000 mi
slickster is offline  
Old 11-09-2019, 08:00 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,712
Default

Why is being anti-tesla a fad here? It's weird.
sullivan504, 38P6, Bob1957 and 2 others like this.
MrWesson is offline  
Old 11-09-2019, 08:17 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Seacoast NH
Posts: 6,336
Default

Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
But, is it really green? Where does that electricity come from? Could be fossil fueled plants.
you realize probably 80% of people who buy Tesla’s couldn’t care less about the green aspect. It’s status and just geeking out on tech.
SeaPro48 likes this.
Boat Hound is offline  
Old 11-09-2019, 08:24 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 2,185
Default

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
For so many people these days a pick up truck is just for show and status quo, just like chicks buying Jeeps.

As they say, "if you build it people will buy it".

The low range pickup truck/ vehicle has it's place in the marketplace.
You mean all of those trucks I see in NC with the rear ends lowered and the front ends lifted are not used to tow or haul anything?
Ettatoufee likes this.
Lorne Greene is online now  
Old 11-09-2019, 08:25 PM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: s. florida
Posts: 1,896
Default

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
The bitch of it is if it is going to cost you $20k to put new batteries in it 10 years down the road are you going to spend $20k on a 10 year old truck with 10 yr old technology? I know damn sure I wouldn't be! And that is why I feel right now the electric vehicle is a Very Expensive throw-a-way vehicle with Lousy resale value on the older models. IMO the depreciation curve will be BIG and very painful.
where did u hear its 20k for replacement batteries? I would think even if it was it will probably be 2k in 10 yrs the way technologies advance.
resh likes this.
pathfinder11 is offline  
Old 11-09-2019, 09:11 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location:
Posts: 1,635
Default

Originally Posted by slickster View Post
The carbon footprint of a typical e car is close to a typical honda civic over 100,000 mi
....and that is optimistic.

What some don’t understand is all our renewable and nuclear power is consumed by existing demand, so fossil fuel generates the difference as demand varies. Consequently when an EV is plugged in, the increase in electrical demand is 100% powered from fossil fuels.

Fossil fuel power generation averages about 30 to 40% efficiency. Figure 15% efficiency loss in transmission and another 25% loss in the step down, battery recharge, battery discharge and electric motor losses. There are no tailgate emissions but if you are counting carbon foot print emissions, EVs are worse than combustion engines.

In my opinion EVs may make sense someday but that point is at 3 to 4 decades away.
Apexwarrior, Jsb63 and Perthbloke like this.
Inlander is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread