Notices

Trailer for SH Gamefish 27

Old 11-02-2019, 02:03 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Miami
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer for SH Gamefish 27

So I finally did it and and put my deposit down at FLIBS for a brand new Sea Hunt Gamefish 27 Forward Seating with Yami 250s. Expected delivery of February next year. Any recommendations for trailers and what I can expect to pay? Dealer says $5800, hoping to find a better deal.
Old 11-02-2019, 03:49 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 31
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

All marine trailers. I just bought a tandem axle 10k trailer with brakes in both axles for under 5k. Give them a call extremely happy with purchase.
Old 11-02-2019, 04:29 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 767
Received 290 Likes on 146 Posts
Default

Real X trailers in Miami. Some will recommend Owens and sons. They may have great customer service, but until they get an engineer on staff to properly design their trailers I would avoid them.
Likes:
Old 11-02-2019, 10:06 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 297
Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by D_Westie View Post
Real X trailers in Miami. Some will recommend Owens and sons. They may have great customer service, but until they get an engineer on staff to properly design their trailers I would avoid them.
Owens and Sons gets tons of great feedback. What makes you say that?
Old 11-03-2019, 05:57 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,952
Received 4,303 Likes on 1,708 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by D_Westie View Post
Real X trailers in Miami. Some will recommend Owens and sons. They may have great customer service, but until they get an engineer on staff to properly design their trailers I would avoid them.
Owen's has a large following and never seen anyone post anything negative about them over the years. They have many custom trailers around the Southeast. The Owen's family know how to build a trailer..

Full disclosure: I own an Owen's trailer that I bought new in 2013 and it has been great...

Last edited by Cracker; 11-03-2019 at 06:06 PM.
Likes:
Old 11-04-2019, 07:29 AM
  #6  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,301
Likes: 0
Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by D_Westie View Post
Real X trailers in Miami. Some will recommend Owens and sons. They may have great customer service, but until they get an engineer on staff to properly design their trailers I would avoid them.
I too am a happy Owens customer. What is the issue with their design?

If I was in South Florida, I'd look at All-American/Bad2Bone. Real-X used to be another option, but they may have been sold.
Likes:
Old 11-04-2019, 07:53 AM
  #7  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,952
Received 4,303 Likes on 1,708 Posts
Default

I would add Hi Tech to the list (Panama city)
Old 11-05-2019, 09:05 PM
  #8  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Location: Miami
Posts: 5
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thanks gentlemen, I’ll be checking them out.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:23 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location:
Posts: 117
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by D_Westie View Post
Some will recommend Owens and sons. They may have great customer service, but until they get an engineer on staff to properly design their trailers I would avoid them.
I have had a lot of issues with my Owens trailer. It's only a few months old. The issues range from damaging the gelcoat from a poor fit of the front plastic block to poor workmanship and mutliple parts failing. Yes, they will call you back but at this point I truly regret buying this trailer. Not going to bash them because others love their trailers but its not working out for me. Maybe I got the one lemon...or maybe they lost the recipe...
Old 11-12-2019, 11:15 AM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,952
Received 4,303 Likes on 1,708 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tsunami7 View Post
I have had a lot of issues with my Owens trailer. It's only a few months old. The issues range from damaging the gelcoat from a poor fit of the front plastic block to poor workmanship and mutliple parts failing. Yes, they will call you back but at this point I truly regret buying this trailer. Not going to bash them because others love their trailers but its not working out for me. Maybe I got the one lemon...or maybe they lost the recipe...
You have a year warranty if I remember right. Have you taken it back so they can correct any issues??? There are MANY positive testimonies about them on here and elsewhere... I am sure they will fix your issues. As with anything, let them make it right..
Old 11-12-2019, 11:18 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 8,301
Likes: 0
Received 160 Likes on 118 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tsunami7 View Post
I have had a lot of issues with my Owens trailer. It's only a few months old. The issues range from damaging the gelcoat from a poor fit of the front plastic block to poor workmanship and mutliple parts failing. Yes, they will call you back but at this point I truly regret buying this trailer. Not going to bash them because others love their trailers but its not working out for me. Maybe I got the one lemon...or maybe they lost the recipe...
I'd be shocked if Jeff and Doug won't make it good....as others have said have you taken it back to let them take care of it?
Old 11-18-2019, 02:09 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 967
Received 154 Likes on 85 Posts
Default

Go full stainless on brake system - rotors and calipers
Old 12-04-2019, 07:37 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location:
Posts: 117
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Parthery View Post
I'd be shocked if Jeff and Doug won't make it good....as others have said have you taken it back to let them take care of it?
Sorry for the late reply was out and thanksgiving and all....so just catching up.

So here it is I live 3+ hours away so just taking it to them is not a great option. However, I did a lot of research before purchasing from Owen's & Son's. Everything was positive and I was assured it will work. That was the main reason I purchased a trailer 3+ hours away from where I live. I don't have time to mess with a poor trailer and I use my trailer a lot so I wanted to get a rock-solid worry free trailer. Talked to Jeff and visited them and went over the specs several times. As much as everyone raves and never mentions any issues I got to think maybe they fell asleep when they were building mine. Maybe that was the week that 1/2 the staff was on vacation. IDK. I have worked with them as best I could but also feel others maybe can benefit and help if I'm missing something. Here is what I have went through on this trailer with their resolutions, mind you the trailer is less than 5 months old and has only been used about 6 times:

Issue: wrong guide pole - too short - kept getting caught under the bow flair.
Resolution: sent me the longer ones

Issue: missing tie down bolts
Resolution: sent me the missing tie down bolts for me to drill and install

Issue: single wheel for jack was insufficient for the size/weight of the boat - it bent after first use
Resolution: sent a new double wheel jack

Issue: brake light stopped working because ground screw corroded and disintegrated
Resolution: looked at the picture and said that's weird - sent me a new ground screw for me to crimp and attach

Issue: staples on bunk carpet are rusting
Resolution: I guess we got a bad batch of galvanized staples and left it at that

Issue: rust on the coupler arm/tongue (the non aluminum pieces)
Resolution: none

Issue: plastic v-block that the bow rest on is not correct - caused gouges in the brand new gel coat
Resolution: sent a new plastic piece that I installed - centering bunks were not even so new block wasn't any better. I ended up removing it an replacing it with a UHMWPE block cut to the hull shape and adjusting the centering bunks to align - seems to work well but the damage (scrapes) to the gel coat are not going to go away.

Jeff is good about talking with you to try to remedy things and has sent me the missing and faulty items. To be fair I do not live close enough to just bring it in and if I were able to, i.e. live closer or have work flexibility, I have little doubt that they would have fixed things eventually. To be fair on the other side though my dealer offered to bring him a demo boat of this hull for them to take measurements and use to build the trailer - they refused - said they didn't need it. I reminded them that for this new year model the hull was modified to increase the flair of the bow. They insisted they knew how to get it right.

Overall assessment:

Good: The trailer is structurally built strong.
It does load and unload the boat well. (except the damage to the gel coat)
I went with the all SS brakes and whatnot so I expect to get long life and many miles out of it.

Bad:
Minor things were a pain to deal with. Lots of pictures and phone calls with Jeff (he likes to talk, lol)
The damage to the gel coat is a bit unforgivable and could have been avoided. Hurts to see the brand new boat get marred by the brand new trailer right out of the gate.
Their electrical wiring seems below average - time will tell
The hassle of getting the trailer "right" considering this was a $9k+ purchase

So, I personally wouldn't get another Owen's & Sons trailer for this particular boat. Not worth it to me. If I lived closer then maybe....but then again maybe not.

Again, after all the praise that is on THT about these guys I got to believe I just got the lemon but figured I would share....

Old 12-05-2019, 07:26 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,952
Received 4,303 Likes on 1,708 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tsunami7 View Post
Sorry for the late reply was out and thanksgiving and all....so just catching up.

So here it is I live 3+ hours away so just taking it to them is not a great option. However, I did a lot of research before purchasing from Owen's & Son's. Everything was positive and I was assured it will work. That was the main reason I purchased a trailer 3+ hours away from where I live. I don't have time to mess with a poor trailer and I use my trailer a lot so I wanted to get a rock-solid worry free trailer. Talked to Jeff and visited them and went over the specs several times. As much as everyone raves and never mentions any issues I got to think maybe they fell asleep when they were building mine. Maybe that was the week that 1/2 the staff was on vacation. IDK. I have worked with them as best I could but also feel others maybe can benefit and help if I'm missing something. Here is what I have went through on this trailer with their resolutions, mind you the trailer is less than 5 months old and has only been used about 6 times:

Issue: wrong guide pole - too short - kept getting caught under the bow flair.
Resolution: sent me the longer ones

Issue: missing tie down bolts
Resolution: sent me the missing tie down bolts for me to drill and install

Issue: single wheel for jack was insufficient for the size/weight of the boat - it bent after first use
Resolution: sent a new double wheel jack

Issue: brake light stopped working because ground screw corroded and disintegrated
Resolution: looked at the picture and said that's weird - sent me a new ground screw for me to crimp and attach

Issue: staples on bunk carpet are rusting
Resolution: I guess we got a bad batch of galvanized staples and left it at that

Issue: rust on the coupler arm/tongue (the non aluminum pieces)
Resolution: none

Issue: plastic v-block that the bow rest on is not correct - caused gouges in the brand new gel coat
Resolution: sent a new plastic piece that I installed - centering bunks were not even so new block wasn't any better. I ended up removing it an replacing it with a UHMWPE block cut to the hull shape and adjusting the centering bunks to align - seems to work well but the damage (scrapes) to the gel coat are not going to go away.

Jeff is good about talking with you to try to remedy things and has sent me the missing and faulty items. To be fair I do not live close enough to just bring it in and if I were able to, i.e. live closer or have work flexibility, I have little doubt that they would have fixed things eventually. To be fair on the other side though my dealer offered to bring him a demo boat of this hull for them to take measurements and use to build the trailer - they refused - said they didn't need it. I reminded them that for this new year model the hull was modified to increase the flair of the bow. They insisted they knew how to get it right.

Overall assessment:

Good: The trailer is structurally built strong.
It does load and unload the boat well. (except the damage to the gel coat)
I went with the all SS brakes and whatnot so I expect to get long life and many miles out of it.

Bad:
Minor things were a pain to deal with. Lots of pictures and phone calls with Jeff (he likes to talk, lol)
The damage to the gel coat is a bit unforgivable and could have been avoided. Hurts to see the brand new boat get marred by the brand new trailer right out of the gate.
Their electrical wiring seems below average - time will tell
The hassle of getting the trailer "right" considering this was a $9k+ purchase

So, I personally wouldn't get another Owen's & Sons trailer for this particular boat. Not worth it to me. If I lived closer then maybe....but then again maybe not.

Again, after all the praise that is on THT about these guys I got to believe I just got the lemon but figured I would share....
So because you live 3 hours away from Owens (same as me) you will let a trailer keep damaging your boat and causing gelcoat damage rather than allow them an opportunity to fix it??????? You also somehow want to blame both THT posters and Owen's due to your issues but you will not allow them to fix it??

Did you discuss with Jeff prior to your purchase how warranty stuff worked?? Living 3 hours away I did and was told anything major I would have to bring the trailer to them. Small items like your guides would be handled through the mail.

Do yourself a favor, schedule an appointment and get the trailer back to them so they can fix it.. Yes you sound like you may have some issues but you must be flexible enough to allow ANYONE the opportunity to fix anything you buy... No one wants issues but most of your problems seem pretty easily fixed and the fact that you can not seem to be flexible is factor it would appear... Good Luck

Last edited by Cracker; 12-05-2019 at 08:22 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 10:25 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,363
Received 339 Likes on 229 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by tsunami7 View Post
I don't have time to mess with a poor trailer and I use my trailer a lot so I wanted to get a rock-solid worry free trailer.... my dealer offered to bring him a demo boat of this hull for them to take measurements and use to build the trailer - they refused - said they didn't need it. I reminded them that for this new year model the hull was modified to increase the flair of the bow. They insisted they knew how to get it right ... this was a $9k+ purchase ...
Good trailer manufacturers have patterns for popular hulls so they can build a trailer to fit like a glove. With any new hull for which they don't have a pattern, a custom measurement of your particular hull is a necessity if you expect a perfect fit. I understand most boat owners do not demand perfection, and are willing to settle for good enough. But even "good enough" should not produce gel coat damage.

For $9,000, I think you got hosed, particularly since the dealer was doing their part to make this really easy for the trailer company. The lack of having a pattern for your boat shifted the responsibility for getting a "good enough" fit to the boat dealer, who then should have adjusted the trailer as needed to prevent the gel coat damage.

There's plenty of blame to go around. Trailer buyers shouldn't be bullied by the trailer manufacturers, and boat dealers shouldn't let them get away with it for that kind of money. So too, boat dealers need to step up so that poorly fit rigs don't roll off their lots. It hurts all consumers when those folks are allowed to get away with such shabby business practices.

Thanks for sharing the story. There's plenty to learn from it.

Likes:
Old 12-06-2019, 12:15 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location:
Posts: 117
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
So because you live 3 hours away from Owens (same as me) you will let a trailer keep damaging your boat and causing gelcoat damage rather than allow them an opportunity to fix it???????
You must have missed where I said I had their plastic v-strip replaced with a new one that was custom to the hull shape. Like I said, it's working now and not damaging the hull anymore. I will also say that of course I stopped using the trailer once I realized what was going on. It was after a few - probably 3 or 4 launches that I realized it and was able to identity and pin point the culprit of the gouges. I sent pictures to Jeff, had discussions with them, they really had nothing other than saying sometimes the plastic v-block doesn't work. The new one was fabricated locally and I installed it. We had to make multiple trips getting the boat on/off the trailer, taking measurements, making adjustments over the course of two weekends but we got it done. Paid for at my cost and by my choice. That was still easier than trailering it over and picking it up a week later. I don't have the work schedule right now to do that. Not Owen & Son's fault per se but when I spoke with Jeff in detail (several times) they don't even have a lift. So they said I would have to: take it to them so they can evaluate/take measurements, then go splash the boat somewhere, then bring the trailer back, they would fix it, I retrieve the boat and bring it back to check it with them and rinse and repeat if needed.

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
You also somehow want to blame both THT posters and Owen's due to your issues but you will not allow them to fix it??
Never said I blamed anyone! Don't know where or why you inferred this. But it's a long post...so maybe people get distracted

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Did you discuss with Jeff prior to your purchase how warranty stuff worked?? Living 3 hours away I did and was told anything major I would have to bring the trailer to them. Small items like your guides would be handled through the mail.
Yep, and everything mail-able was handled that way - I gave pretty good details on how everything proceeded....

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
Do yourself a favor, schedule an appointment and get the trailer back to them so they can fix it.. Yes you sound like you may have some issues but you must be flexible enough to allow ANYONE the opportunity to fix anything you buy... No one wants issues but most of your problems seem pretty easily fixed and the fact that you can not seem to be flexible is factor it would appear... Good Luck
I get it...and...may make a trip after the new year but I am also allowed to share my experience and my opinion which is still negative at the moment. I think I was pretty favorable to them in my words and gave them a pretty good benefit of the doubt through all this and I am still working with them so we'll see. Again, just sharing my experience....

Last edited by tsunami7; 12-06-2019 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-06-2019, 12:29 PM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location:
Posts: 117
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Pez Vela View Post
For $9,000, I think you got hosed, particularly since the dealer was doing their part to make this really easy for the trailer company. The lack of having a pattern for your boat shifted the responsibility for getting a "good enough" fit to the boat dealer, who then should have adjusted the trailer as needed to prevent the gel coat damage.
That's really the rub to me. A lot of money and my dealer gave them ample times and offers to help out. The dealer had to make significant adjustments to the bow catcher. They were very careful and detailed in setting the boat onto the trailer - even through the whole sea trial process. They just had no idea that the v-block was mis-made or misaligned and was going to cause damage. None of us caught that until it got used a few times.
Old 12-06-2019, 01:59 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,363
Received 339 Likes on 229 Posts
Default

You're considerably more tolerant than I. That will serve you well in the long run I suppose, but I'm most astonished that a company that purportedly sells custom trailers doesn't have a lift and just assembles them with parts that sometimes don't work. I think I've just been spoiled by the SoCal trailers I've had custom built, using a pattern taken off my boat, custom fabricated and welded. There's a 180º regional difference of opinion about how to build a good trailer from what I've seen, and I don't mean to argue the point, but top notch trailer guys should do better than what you experienced, no matter what part of the country you're in.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:53 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,952
Received 4,303 Likes on 1,708 Posts
Default

Again a 5 month old trailer used 6 times should have gone back already being it was messed up.... Take it back and get it fixed. It is hard to address issues as a builder 3 hours away if your not given the opportunity..

By the way been in your shoes, bought a Road King trailer with my boat and the brakes were crap, heating up. I took it back to the dealer, boat and all and it sat on the lot till the dealer forced RoadKing to fix it which after fixed only lasted a couple months. Good luck

Last edited by Cracker; 12-07-2019 at 07:33 PM.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.