Notices
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By caphilli
  • 1 Post By The Peddler

Help with trailer tires

Old 09-10-2019, 03:55 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2
Default Help with trailer tires

Hey there. New to this forum and just purchased a 2003 Sea Ray 176 SRX.
The guy who sold it to me didn't have the original trailer, so it's a bit tough to find info.
It's a single axle trailer and I'm looking to replace the tires sine the ones on there are quite old. The tires that are on there right now are ST205/75D14.
Here's where I'm confused. Those tires (ST205/75D14) state on the tire that the max load capacity is 1760. And tires similar that I've been looking at have a D load rating, which is around 2,050lbs. The boat itself is over 2100lbs. So what tires do I need to get?
The current tires have a 5-bolt pattern.
Thanks!



Rockfish9 likes this.
caphilli is offline  
Old 09-10-2019, 04:44 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 545
Default

Your 2100-lb weight of the boat is likely "Dry," meaning no gas, no gear, etc. The current tires are likely adequate with the 1760 load rating, but I'd rather the tires with higher capacity and there'd be no downside. A little extra buffer isn't a bad thing.
The Peddler is offline  
Old 09-10-2019, 04:52 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 2
Default

Originally Posted by The Peddler View Post
Your 2100-lb weight of the boat is likely "Dry," meaning no gas, no gear, etc. The current tires are likely adequate with the 1760 load rating, but I'd rather the tires with higher capacity and there'd be no downside. A little extra buffer isn't a bad thing.
Thanks. Correct me if Iím wrong, and I think my thought process was earlier... but you combine the two tires load capacity to get the total capacity the 2 tires on the trailer can hold, right? So if one tire has a max load of 2k lbs, the entire trailer can take up to 4k lbs?
caphilli is offline  
Old 09-10-2019, 05:12 PM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 37
Default

Originally Posted by caphilli View Post


Thanks. Correct me if Iím wrong, and I think my thought process was earlier... but you combine the two tires load capacity to get the total capacity the 2 tires on the trailer can hold, right? So if one tire has a max load of 2k lbs, the entire trailer can take up to 4k lbs?
Correct.
Flippin Sweet is online now  
Old 09-11-2019, 02:18 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 545
Default

Originally Posted by caphilli View Post


Thanks. Correct me if Iím wrong, and I think my thought process was earlier... but you combine the two tires load capacity to get the total capacity the 2 tires on the trailer can hold, right? So if one tire has a max load of 2k lbs, the entire trailer can take up to 4k lbs?
Yes, except your five-lug axle is likely only rated for 3500-lbs.
Bamaskeetshooter likes this.
The Peddler is offline  
Old 09-11-2019, 03:50 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 545
Default

Originally Posted by caphilli View Post
Hey there. New to this forum and just purchased a 2003 Sea Ray 176 SRX.
The guy who sold it to me didn't have the original trailer, so it's a bit tough to find info.
It's a single axle trailer and I'm looking to replace the tires sine the ones on there are quite old. The tires that are on there right now are ST205/75D14.
Here's where I'm confused. Those tires (ST205/75D14) state on the tire that the max load capacity is 1760. And tires similar that I've been looking at have a D load rating, which is around 2,050lbs. The boat itself is over 2100lbs. So what tires do I need to get?
The current tires have a 5-bolt pattern.
Thanks!
14" Load Range D's will be fine. As The Peddler has said, the tires alone will not dictate the total capacity of the trailer. You also need to consider the weight capacity of the coupler, axle, frame and springs.

I have a heavy 18' boat on a single axle trailer with 14" tires. It's ok but needs a little more attention than a tandem axle.
VesselCalling is offline  
Old 09-11-2019, 04:11 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 549
Default

Originally Posted by caphilli View Post
Thanks. Correct me if Iím wrong, and I think my thought process was earlier... but you combine the two tires load capacity to get the total capacity the 2 tires on the trailer can hold, right? So if one tire has a max load of 2k lbs, the entire trailer can take up to 4k lbs?
Make sure you include the weight of the trailer. The entire trailer and boat can weigh up to 4k in the scenario you gave. So if the trailer weighs 1k then the boat, engines, and any loaded equipment can weigh up to 3k.
jhackl is offline  
Old 09-11-2019, 04:16 AM
  #8  
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lighthouse Point, Fl.
Posts: 2,343
Default

Originally Posted by caphilli View Post
Hey there. New to this forum and just purchased a 2003 Sea Ray 176 SRX.
The guy who sold it to me didn't have the original trailer, so it's a bit tough to find info.
It's a single axle trailer and I'm looking to replace the tires sine the ones on there are quite old. The tires that are on there right now are ST205/75D14.
Here's where I'm confused. Those tires (ST205/75D14) state on the tire that the max load capacity is 1760. And tires similar that I've been looking at have a D load rating, which is around 2,050lbs. The boat itself is over 2100lbs. So what tires do I need to get?
The current tires have a 5-bolt pattern.
Thanks!
Rarely use any of my 3 trailers & hardly an "expert" on them or their tires but buddy in the marine business probably is. That said after picking up an 18 Donzi on a single ax trailer years back, he replaced the wheels & tires & picked up a spare. Walmart was the only local place that stocked them on galvanized wheels and they supposedly are 6 ply's ( not sure if that's treed or sidewalls or both). All my wheels have buddy bearings (or other brand) so the hubs are easily kept grease packed and I suppose salt water free when dipped at the ramp and made sure to be at maximum air pressure whenever used. Once had one with a fresh water hose fitting up front that allowed easy flushing of the brakes after the ramp.
SplashFL is offline  
Old 09-11-2019, 04:16 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Charleston SC
Posts: 126
Default

Originally Posted by The Peddler View Post


Yes, except your five-lug axle is likely only rated for 3500-lbs.
Also correct.

OP, the 1750# rating of each tire x2 = 3500#. Your setup is just fine.

TIMarine is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread