The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Trucks & Trailers (https://www.thehulltruth.com/trucks-trailers-60/)
-   -   Help with trailer tires (https://www.thehulltruth.com/trucks-trailers/1035546-help-trailer-tires.html)

caphilli 09-10-2019 03:55 PM

Help with trailer tires
 
Hey there. New to this forum and just purchased a 2003 Sea Ray 176 SRX.
The guy who sold it to me didn't have the original trailer, so it's a bit tough to find info.
It's a single axle trailer and I'm looking to replace the tires sine the ones on there are quite old. The tires that are on there right now are ST205/75D14.
Here's where I'm confused. Those tires (ST205/75D14) state on the tire that the max load capacity is 1760. And tires similar that I've been looking at have a D load rating, which is around 2,050lbs. The boat itself is over 2100lbs. So what tires do I need to get?
The current tires have a 5-bolt pattern.
Thanks!




The Peddler 09-10-2019 04:44 PM

Your 2100-lb weight of the boat is likely "Dry," meaning no gas, no gear, etc. The current tires are likely adequate with the 1760 load rating, but I'd rather the tires with higher capacity and there'd be no downside. A little extra buffer isn't a bad thing.

caphilli 09-10-2019 04:52 PM


Originally Posted by The Peddler (Post 12917302)
Your 2100-lb weight of the boat is likely "Dry," meaning no gas, no gear, etc. The current tires are likely adequate with the 1760 load rating, but I'd rather the tires with higher capacity and there'd be no downside. A little extra buffer isn't a bad thing.

Thanks. Correct me if Iím wrong, and I think my thought process was earlier... but you combine the two tires load capacity to get the total capacity the 2 tires on the trailer can hold, right? So if one tire has a max load of 2k lbs, the entire trailer can take up to 4k lbs?

Flippin Sweet 09-10-2019 05:12 PM


Originally Posted by caphilli (Post 12917317)


Thanks. Correct me if Iím wrong, and I think my thought process was earlier... but you combine the two tires load capacity to get the total capacity the 2 tires on the trailer can hold, right? So if one tire has a max load of 2k lbs, the entire trailer can take up to 4k lbs?

Correct.

The Peddler 09-11-2019 02:18 AM


Originally Posted by caphilli (Post 12917317)


Thanks. Correct me if Iím wrong, and I think my thought process was earlier... but you combine the two tires load capacity to get the total capacity the 2 tires on the trailer can hold, right? So if one tire has a max load of 2k lbs, the entire trailer can take up to 4k lbs?

Yes, except your five-lug axle is likely only rated for 3500-lbs.

VesselCalling 09-11-2019 03:50 AM


Originally Posted by caphilli (Post 12917178)
Hey there. New to this forum and just purchased a 2003 Sea Ray 176 SRX.
The guy who sold it to me didn't have the original trailer, so it's a bit tough to find info.
It's a single axle trailer and I'm looking to replace the tires sine the ones on there are quite old. The tires that are on there right now are ST205/75D14.
Here's where I'm confused. Those tires (ST205/75D14) state on the tire that the max load capacity is 1760. And tires similar that I've been looking at have a D load rating, which is around 2,050lbs. The boat itself is over 2100lbs. So what tires do I need to get?
The current tires have a 5-bolt pattern.
Thanks!

14" Load Range D's will be fine. As The Peddler has said, the tires alone will not dictate the total capacity of the trailer. You also need to consider the weight capacity of the coupler, axle, frame and springs.

I have a heavy 18' boat on a single axle trailer with 14" tires. It's ok but needs a little more attention than a tandem axle.

jhackl 09-11-2019 04:11 AM


Originally Posted by caphilli (Post 12917317)
Thanks. Correct me if Iím wrong, and I think my thought process was earlier... but you combine the two tires load capacity to get the total capacity the 2 tires on the trailer can hold, right? So if one tire has a max load of 2k lbs, the entire trailer can take up to 4k lbs?

Make sure you include the weight of the trailer. The entire trailer and boat can weigh up to 4k in the scenario you gave. So if the trailer weighs 1k then the boat, engines, and any loaded equipment can weigh up to 3k.

SplashFL 09-11-2019 04:16 AM


Originally Posted by caphilli (Post 12917178)
Hey there. New to this forum and just purchased a 2003 Sea Ray 176 SRX.
The guy who sold it to me didn't have the original trailer, so it's a bit tough to find info.
It's a single axle trailer and I'm looking to replace the tires sine the ones on there are quite old. The tires that are on there right now are ST205/75D14.
Here's where I'm confused. Those tires (ST205/75D14) state on the tire that the max load capacity is 1760. And tires similar that I've been looking at have a D load rating, which is around 2,050lbs. The boat itself is over 2100lbs. So what tires do I need to get?
The current tires have a 5-bolt pattern.
Thanks!

Rarely use any of my 3 trailers & hardly an "expert" on them or their tires but buddy in the marine business probably is. That said after picking up an 18 Donzi on a single ax trailer years back, he replaced the wheels & tires & picked up a spare. Walmart was the only local place that stocked them on galvanized wheels and they supposedly are 6 ply's ( not sure if that's treed or sidewalls or both). All my wheels have buddy bearings (or other brand) so the hubs are easily kept grease packed and I suppose salt water free when dipped at the ramp and made sure to be at maximum air pressure whenever used. Once had one with a fresh water hose fitting up front that allowed easy flushing of the brakes after the ramp.

TIMarine 09-11-2019 04:16 AM


Originally Posted by The Peddler (Post 12918076)


Yes, except your five-lug axle is likely only rated for 3500-lbs.

Also correct.

OP, the 1750# rating of each tire x2 = 3500#. Your setup is just fine.



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:01 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.