Notices
Like Tree15Likes

Truck tires quick question

Old 07-11-2019, 12:24 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 985
Default Truck tires quick question

This is not another thread asking about which tire to go with.. I already know which brand/model I'm going to get.....

'06 2500HD Silverado/Duramax currently rolling on 285 75 16's all terrains. I'm thinking about dropping down to a 265.. Increase in fuel economy, less work on the drive train, etc.. My only concern is loosing that beefy look the truck has, and I'm wondering if a 265 is a big enough difference to make the truck look like a roller skate. And what other advantages do y'all see dropping down to a 265? Thanks
Manoverboard123 is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 01:00 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Portsmouth,Va
Posts: 958
Default

I had a 06 dmax with 285's my buddy had 265 and after looking at comparisons I just couldn't do it. The stance looked different and weird I know it's not much but still. Also, to be fair he had some cheap AT on it with odd tread so that could of been it.
Manoverboard123 likes this.
Finfever21 is online now  
Old 07-11-2019, 01:48 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,321
Default

I went up....the 265's looked like roller skates for sure. Exact sizes you are talking about.


Manoverboard123 likes this.
starbright55 is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 02:12 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,168
Default

From my experiences changing tire size will not change your fuel mileage. Your on board computers will make the adjustments for the tire size and retune your injector settings and timing.
Garett is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 02:14 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 985
Default

Originally Posted by starbright55 View Post
I went up....the 265's looked like roller skates for sure. Exact sizes you are talking about.


That pic is exactly what I needed to forget the 265's. That's one ugly SOB
starbright55 likes this.
Manoverboard123 is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 04:13 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 478
Default

The 285's are the perfect size for that era of truck. I wish I could find a pic or two of my '06.
The Peddler is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 04:32 PM
  #7  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 91
Default




I have had 3 sets of 285/75/16's and one set of 265/75/16's on my 07 classic LBZ duramax. The slight increase in fuel economy was not at all worth it for the stance and traction sacrifices. Granted the truck is tuned (stock trans/air) but still, it would blow off the back end unbelievably easily with the 265 wide tires. I picked back up some efficiency when I switched from 285/75 firestone muds to my current 285/75 Michelin LTX (probably the only tire I'll run moving forward). I won't run another set of 265s personally and a lot happier with 285s over the last 140k miles. Let me see if I can find a pic on 265s
dawgsfish is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 04:32 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: WA
Posts: 716
Default

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
From my experiences changing tire size will not change your fuel mileage. Your on board computers will make the adjustments for the tire size and retune your injector settings and timing.
It doesnít work that way.
ondarvr1 is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 04:33 PM
  #9  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 91
Default

Originally Posted by ondarvr1 View Post


It doesn’t work that way.
yeah it definitely doesn't
dawgsfish is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 04:46 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: WA
Posts: 716
Default

People confuse 285 and 265 with tire height, they can be identical in height, the 265 is just slightly narrower.

The pics provided show a smaller diameter tire compared to a larger one, this you will notice right away. A slightly narrower tire may look very close to being the same.

Right now I run a smaller diameter tire to help with towing. I moved and over the last year have been transferring stuff 300 miles each way over mountain passes. My 1/2 ton gasser needs all the help it can get.

I need to get new tires fairly soon, I may not go back to full sized tires, I donít need to compensate for any short comings in other parts of my life, so I go with what works best, not necessarily what looks best.
ondarvr1 is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 04:53 PM
  #11  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 91
Default

Originally Posted by dawgsfish View Post



I have had 3 sets of 285/75/16's and one set of 265/75/16's on my 07 classic LBZ duramax. The slight increase in fuel economy was not at all worth it for the stance and traction sacrifices. Granted the truck is tuned (stock trans/air) but still, it would blow off the back end unbelievably easily with the 265 wide tires. I picked back up some efficiency when I switched from 285/75 firestone muds to my current 285/75 Michelin LTX (probably the only tire I'll run moving forward). I won't run another set of 265s personally and a lot happier with 285s over the last 140k miles. Let me see if I can find a pic on 265s
here is a picture on 265's
Manoverboard123 likes this.
dawgsfish is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 04:56 PM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 91
Default

Originally Posted by ondarvr1 View Post
People confuse 285 and 265 with tire height, they can be identical in height, the 265 is just slightly narrower.

The pics provided show a smaller diameter tire compared to a larger one, this you will notice right away. A slightly narrower tire may look very close to being the same.

Right now I run a smaller diameter tire to help with towing. I moved and over the last year have been transferring stuff 300 miles each way over mountain passes. My 1/2 ton gasser needs all the help it can get.

I need to get new tires fairly soon, I may not go back to full sized tires, I donít need to compensate for any short comings in other parts of my life, so I go with what works best, not necessarily what looks best.
it's a ratio, not a fixed height. Here you can see the two sizes he is considering compared

JKBrad likes this.
dawgsfish is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 05:30 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New Braunfels, TX
Posts: 813
Default

You could go with a 255/85/16. About 1/2” taller and 1.2” narrower. The height difference is negligible, but that extra inch off the contact patch and reduced wind resistance may get you an extra 5-10 miles on a full tank.
JKBrad is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 05:39 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: WA
Posts: 716
Default

Yes itís a ratio, I use those tire size calculation sites all the time. My point is that people refer to the 285 portion of the size and think it refers to height.

In this case going to a 265/80 would be almost the exact same height, finding an /80 would be a bit harder because itís not a common size.
ondarvr1 is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 05:44 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Texas
Posts: 985
Default

Originally Posted by dawgsfish View Post
here is a picture on 265's
Man that truck looks so freakin good. I sure wish mine had the stock rims on it. With the 265's on those rims, it actually looks fine to me. But my rims are aftermarket (came with the truck when I got it) and it would look goofy on 265's.
Manoverboard123 is offline  
Old 07-11-2019, 06:09 PM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 91
Default

Originally Posted by JKBrad View Post
You could go with a 255/85/16. About 1/2Ē taller and 1.2Ē narrower. The height difference is negligible, but that extra inch off the contact patch and reduced wind resistance may get you an extra 5-10 miles on a full tank.
some folks run those as a snow season tire, but they are unbelievably skinny. Pretty sure BFG mud terrain and Cooper st maxx are the only tires even offered in that size.

Originally Posted by ondarvr1 View Post
Yes itís a ratio, I use those tire size calculation sites all the time. My point is that people refer to the 285 portion of the size and think it refers to height.

In this case going to a 265/80 would be almost the exact same height, finding an /80 would be a bit harder because itís not a common size.
Sorry I misunderstood your post, people definitely do misunderstand how metric tire sizing works all the time I agree

There is not a 265/80/16 tire on the market.

Originally Posted by Manoverboard123 View Post
Man that truck looks so freakin good. I sure wish mine had the stock rims on it. With the 265's on those rims, it actually looks fine to me. But my rims are aftermarket (came with the truck when I got it) and it would look goofy on 265's.
Thanks I appreciate it. and you can pick up a full set of PYO's on craigslist for 250-350 bucks all day long. definitely love the way they look on the classic body style trucks. I used to consider the idea of doing an aftermarket wheel, just never found one I like enough to swap, and I'm glad I didn't now

dawgsfish is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 03:42 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Sandusky, Ohio
Posts: 929
Default

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
From my experiences changing tire size will not change your fuel mileage. Your on board computers will make the adjustments for the tire size and retune your injector settings and timing.
Say what??
IcutMetl is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 04:28 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,392
Default

I have both sizes on two Suburbans right now 265 75 16 LT BFG TA KO2, and 285 75 16 LT General Grabber ATX, the 285 looks way better because its a hair taller and wider, side by side it is apparent. Keep in mind brand also makes a difference in actual tread width. I can't tell if there's any mileage difference, doubtful maybe a few pennies here and there, you still have to get all that weight moving.
CruiseToFish is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 05:58 AM
  #19  
Dun
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Virgina's middle peninsula
Posts: 222
Default

Originally Posted by Manoverboard123 View Post
Man that truck looks so freakin good. I sure wish mine had the stock rims on it.
One of the things that GM did well, was those stock rims! I had those on my 2002 2500HD and loved them.

Dun is offline  
Old 07-12-2019, 06:45 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 4,588
Default

I believe the 265's are OE. With the OE wheel (which is skinny) you really should NOT go wider if you load up the rear....
avalonandl is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread