The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   Trucks & Trailers (https://www.thehulltruth.com/trucks-trailers-60/)
-   -   Truck tires quick question (https://www.thehulltruth.com/trucks-trailers/1021995-truck-tires-quick-question.html)

Manoverboard123 07-11-2019 12:24 PM

Truck tires quick question
 
This is not another thread asking about which tire to go with.. I already know which brand/model I'm going to get.....

'06 2500HD Silverado/Duramax currently rolling on 285 75 16's all terrains. I'm thinking about dropping down to a 265.. Increase in fuel economy, less work on the drive train, etc.. My only concern is loosing that beefy look the truck has, and I'm wondering if a 265 is a big enough difference to make the truck look like a roller skate. And what other advantages do y'all see dropping down to a 265? Thanks

Finfever21 07-11-2019 01:00 PM

I had a 06 dmax with 285's my buddy had 265 and after looking at comparisons I just couldn't do it. The stance looked different and weird I know it's not much but still. Also, to be fair he had some cheap AT on it with odd tread so that could of been it.

starbright55 07-11-2019 01:48 PM

I went up....the 265's looked like roller skates for sure. Exact sizes you are talking about.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...94eeb0e8c5.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...36cf915046.jpg

Garett 07-11-2019 02:12 PM

From my experiences changing tire size will not change your fuel mileage. Your on board computers will make the adjustments for the tire size and retune your injector settings and timing.

Manoverboard123 07-11-2019 02:14 PM


Originally Posted by starbright55 (Post 12713157)
I went up....the 265's looked like roller skates for sure. Exact sizes you are talking about.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...94eeb0e8c5.jpg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...36cf915046.jpg

That pic is exactly what I needed to forget the 265's. That's one ugly SOB

The Peddler 07-11-2019 04:13 PM

The 285's are the perfect size for that era of truck. I wish I could find a pic or two of my '06.

dawgsfish 07-11-2019 04:32 PM

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...092155348e.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...16232156f5.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...2958f8db01.jpg
I have had 3 sets of 285/75/16's and one set of 265/75/16's on my 07 classic LBZ duramax. The slight increase in fuel economy was not at all worth it for the stance and traction sacrifices. Granted the truck is tuned (stock trans/air) but still, it would blow off the back end unbelievably easily with the 265 wide tires. I picked back up some efficiency when I switched from 285/75 firestone muds to my current 285/75 Michelin LTX (probably the only tire I'll run moving forward). I won't run another set of 265s personally and a lot happier with 285s over the last 140k miles. Let me see if I can find a pic on 265s

ondarvr1 07-11-2019 04:32 PM


Originally Posted by Garett (Post 12713251)
From my experiences changing tire size will not change your fuel mileage. Your on board computers will make the adjustments for the tire size and retune your injector settings and timing.

It doesnít work that way.

dawgsfish 07-11-2019 04:33 PM


Originally Posted by ondarvr1 (Post 12713619)


It doesn’t work that way.

yeah it definitely doesn't

ondarvr1 07-11-2019 04:46 PM

People confuse 285 and 265 with tire height, they can be identical in height, the 265 is just slightly narrower.

The pics provided show a smaller diameter tire compared to a larger one, this you will notice right away. A slightly narrower tire may look very close to being the same.

Right now I run a smaller diameter tire to help with towing. I moved and over the last year have been transferring stuff 300 miles each way over mountain passes. My 1/2 ton gasser needs all the help it can get.

I need to get new tires fairly soon, I may not go back to full sized tires, I donít need to compensate for any short comings in other parts of my life, so I go with what works best, not necessarily what looks best.

dawgsfish 07-11-2019 04:53 PM


Originally Posted by dawgsfish (Post 12713618)
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...092155348e.jpg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...16232156f5.jpg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...2958f8db01.jpg
I have had 3 sets of 285/75/16's and one set of 265/75/16's on my 07 classic LBZ duramax. The slight increase in fuel economy was not at all worth it for the stance and traction sacrifices. Granted the truck is tuned (stock trans/air) but still, it would blow off the back end unbelievably easily with the 265 wide tires. I picked back up some efficiency when I switched from 285/75 firestone muds to my current 285/75 Michelin LTX (probably the only tire I'll run moving forward). I won't run another set of 265s personally and a lot happier with 285s over the last 140k miles. Let me see if I can find a pic on 265s

here is a picture on 265's
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...732be455a5.jpg

dawgsfish 07-11-2019 04:56 PM


Originally Posted by ondarvr1 (Post 12713661)
People confuse 285 and 265 with tire height, they can be identical in height, the 265 is just slightly narrower.

The pics provided show a smaller diameter tire compared to a larger one, this you will notice right away. A slightly narrower tire may look very close to being the same.

Right now I run a smaller diameter tire to help with towing. I moved and over the last year have been transferring stuff 300 miles each way over mountain passes. My 1/2 ton gasser needs all the help it can get.

I need to get new tires fairly soon, I may not go back to full sized tires, I donít need to compensate for any short comings in other parts of my life, so I go with what works best, not necessarily what looks best.

it's a ratio, not a fixed height. Here you can see the two sizes he is considering compared
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.the...cfa746b053.png

JKBrad 07-11-2019 05:30 PM

You could go with a 255/85/16. About 1/2” taller and 1.2” narrower. The height difference is negligible, but that extra inch off the contact patch and reduced wind resistance may get you an extra 5-10 miles on a full tank.

ondarvr1 07-11-2019 05:39 PM

Yes itís a ratio, I use those tire size calculation sites all the time. My point is that people refer to the 285 portion of the size and think it refers to height.

In this case going to a 265/80 would be almost the exact same height, finding an /80 would be a bit harder because itís not a common size.

Manoverboard123 07-11-2019 05:44 PM


Originally Posted by dawgsfish (Post 12713684)

Man that truck looks so freakin good. I sure wish mine had the stock rims on it. With the 265's on those rims, it actually looks fine to me. But my rims are aftermarket (came with the truck when I got it) and it would look goofy on 265's.

dawgsfish 07-11-2019 06:09 PM


Originally Posted by JKBrad (Post 12713805)
You could go with a 255/85/16. About 1/2Ē taller and 1.2Ē narrower. The height difference is negligible, but that extra inch off the contact patch and reduced wind resistance may get you an extra 5-10 miles on a full tank.

some folks run those as a snow season tire, but they are unbelievably skinny. Pretty sure BFG mud terrain and Cooper st maxx are the only tires even offered in that size.


Originally Posted by ondarvr1 (Post 12713826)
Yes itís a ratio, I use those tire size calculation sites all the time. My point is that people refer to the 285 portion of the size and think it refers to height.

In this case going to a 265/80 would be almost the exact same height, finding an /80 would be a bit harder because itís not a common size.

Sorry I misunderstood your post, people definitely do misunderstand how metric tire sizing works all the time I agree

There is not a 265/80/16 tire on the market.


Originally Posted by Manoverboard123 (Post 12713842)
Man that truck looks so freakin good. I sure wish mine had the stock rims on it. With the 265's on those rims, it actually looks fine to me. But my rims are aftermarket (came with the truck when I got it) and it would look goofy on 265's.

Thanks I appreciate it. and you can pick up a full set of PYO's on craigslist for 250-350 bucks all day long. definitely love the way they look on the classic body style trucks. I used to consider the idea of doing an aftermarket wheel, just never found one I like enough to swap, and I'm glad I didn't now


IcutMetl 07-12-2019 03:42 AM


Originally Posted by Garett (Post 12713251)
From my experiences changing tire size will not change your fuel mileage. Your on board computers will make the adjustments for the tire size and retune your injector settings and timing.

Say what??

CruiseToFish 07-12-2019 04:28 AM

I have both sizes on two Suburbans right now 265 75 16 LT BFG TA KO2, and 285 75 16 LT General Grabber ATX, the 285 looks way better because its a hair taller and wider, side by side it is apparent. Keep in mind brand also makes a difference in actual tread width. I can't tell if there's any mileage difference, doubtful maybe a few pennies here and there, you still have to get all that weight moving.

Dun 07-12-2019 05:58 AM


Originally Posted by Manoverboard123 (Post 12713842)
Man that truck looks so freakin good. I sure wish mine had the stock rims on it.

One of the things that GM did well, was those stock rims! I had those on my 2002 2500HD and loved them.


avalonandl 07-12-2019 06:45 AM

I believe the 265's are OE. With the OE wheel (which is skinny) you really should NOT go wider if you load up the rear....


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.