Notices

Pulling with an F150 experiences

Old 06-14-2019, 06:38 AM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Gulf coast of Mississippi
Posts: 8
Default Pulling with an F150 experiences

Hi guys. Me and my father recently went in halves on a 1998 SeaPro 180cc. I own a 2009 RAV4 and don't want to have to borrow my father's truck each time I use the boat. I posted my Rav up for trade on FB and found a guy with a 2010 F150 V8 4WD extended cab that is stupid enough to trade me. Went and test drove the truck and liked it and he liked my Rav, just waiting on the guy to get the title in the mail ( just paid it off) and it's a done deal. What's y'all towing experience with an f150 with a similar sized boat? When I use my dad's 2010 Tundra I can hardly tell the boat is back there besides having to use a little more skinny pedal and braking early. On the other hand my grandfather has a 2009 Titan and I've towed his Keywest 1720 a time or two with it and it was horrible. Extremely lethargic on the acceleration, didn't stop well, and and all around felt like I was towing a travel trailer with Camry. I'll seldom be towing more than 50 or 60 miles with it but would like to know it would be somewhat manageable if I decide to ever pull it over 100 miles or so. Thanks for any input.
Ekporter1 is offline  
Old 06-14-2019, 06:48 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,815
Default

You should be good..What engine in the truck..
Cracker is offline  
Old 06-14-2019, 06:53 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 846
Default

I don't remember the engine options during that year of F-150 but I used to have a 5.4, that engine IMO you won't realize the boat is back there. Had a friend that had the 4.6 and that truck was a dog & wouldn't get out of its own way pulling a load.

Either way that is not a particularly large or heavy boat for either engine, you will be fine. From all the opinions here on THT the Rav 4 would have been the perfect tow vehicle, guy probably traded you so he could tow his 39' Yellowfin with it.
lurker25 is offline  
Old 06-14-2019, 07:02 AM
  #4  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Gulf coast of Mississippi
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by lurker25 View Post
I don't remember the engine options during that year of F-150 but I used to have a 5.4, that engine IMO you won't realize the boat is back there. Had a friend that had the 4.6 and that truck was a dog & wouldn't get out of its own way pulling a load.

Either way that is not a particularly large or heavy boat for either engine, you will be fine. From all the opinions here on THT the Rav 4 would have been the perfect tow vehicle, guy probably traded you so he could tow his 39' Yellowfin with it.
Its the 5.4. The Rav is a solid little SUV but with a towing capacity of 2k it wasn't gonna get the job done. KBB on the truck is 10k and just over 6k for my Rav. It's an older guy he's the 2nd owner, said he sold his ATV's since his kids have moved out and had no reason for the truck and was looking for something good on gas and lower to the ground. This truck looks brand new and pre buy Inspection was all green lights.
Ekporter1 is offline  
Old 06-14-2019, 07:06 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 846
Default

Originally Posted by Ekporter1 View Post
Its the 5.4. The Rav is a solid little SUV but with a towing capacity of 2k it wasn't gonna get the job done. KBB on the truck is 10k and just over 6k for my Rav. It's an older guy he's the 2nd owner, said he sold his ATV's since his kids have moved out and had no reason for the truck and was looking for something good on gas and lower to the ground. This truck looks brand new and pre buy Inspection was all green lights.
Sarcasm does not work well with text. The Rav 4 thing is a running joke on THT. Sounds like an awesome deal!! I used to regularly pull my 22 Pathfinder with my old F-150.
lurker25 is offline  
Old 06-14-2019, 07:44 AM
  #6  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Gulf coast of Mississippi
Posts: 8
Default

Originally Posted by lurker25 View Post
Sarcasm does not work well with text. The Rav 4 thing is a running joke on THT. Sounds like an awesome deal!! I used to regularly pull my 22 Pathfinder with my old F-150.
I could sense the sarcasm but didn't know that was a running thing here as I'm new to the forums! Thanks for the input though. Now to find a cheap 4cyl to drive to back and forth to work!
Ekporter1 is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread