Notices
Like Tree11Likes

Trailer wobble

Old 06-11-2019, 04:30 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 463
Default Trailer wobble

Hey guys, I had the axle replaced on my trailer and at that time also put on new hubs, new wheels and tires, and new leaf springs. When I look in the rear view mirror, the wheel is significantly wobbling. I towed with it like this for 1000 miles without problems other than it bothering me to see in the mirror. Lost a cap to the bearings and decided that I would go ahead and put new bearings in since I had done 1000 miles. New bearings and still have the same issue. I'm guessing that perhaps the new axle is out of wack. Do I have anything to be worried about with this safety wise?
Cpfitness is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:21 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Spartanburg, SC
Posts: 2,235
Default

Maybe you have tires out of balance? Mine had no wobble with misalignment, just excessive tire wear.
jeffnick is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:23 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Beaverdam VA
Posts: 602
Default

Originally Posted by Cpfitness View Post
Hey guys, I had the axle replaced on my trailer and at that time also put on new hubs, new wheels and tires, and new leaf springs. When I look in the rear view mirror, the wheel is significantly wobbling. I towed with it like this for 1000 miles without problems other than it bothering me to see in the mirror. Lost a cap to the bearings and decided that I would go ahead and put new bearings in since I had done 1000 miles. New bearings and still have the same issue. I'm guessing that perhaps the new axle is out of wack. Do I have anything to be worried about with this safety wise?
Wobble as in side to side? Or up and down indicating an out of round condition?
SeaPro48 is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:23 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 463
Default

Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
Maybe you have tires out of balance? Mine had no wobble with misalignment, just excessive tire wear.
Tires and rims are brand new. Basically I bought the boat for cheap and first trip out the trailer axle broke so I replaced EVERYTHING. So they balance trailer rims either weights like they do with cars? That is about the only thing that I can say hasn't been done
Cpfitness is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:23 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 463
Default

Originally Posted by SeaPro48 View Post
Wobble as in side to side? Or up and down indicating an out of round condition?
Side to side.
Cpfitness is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:31 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Narragansett, RI / Marco Island, Florida
Posts: 1,447
Default

I always Balance my Trailer tires....There are many Threads on here about this subject......I Tow Long Distances at higher Speeds and I know it makes a difference! I had a Brand New Quality Trailer and the Galvanised Rims were so Bad a Couple could not even be Balanced. I replaced the Bad Rims and Balanced and the issue went away. Galvanized Dipped Rims can be way out of Balance(China)
Lone Ranger, thundra and Cpfitness like this.
AIKO AIKO is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:40 PM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Fairhaven, MA
Posts: 8,728
Default

Not uncommon for a trailer tire to be "off." Try swapping the wobbly one with another and see if the problem follows the first tire. Go from there.
SeaPro48 and Daimyo68 like this.
Cobia 217 is online now  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:43 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amongst the FL fishies
Posts: 6,759
Default

jack the trailer up and spin the wheels.
airbrush is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:45 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: West Palm Beach,FL.
Posts: 736
Default

I had a trailer rim that was out of square to the hub face. Ended up buying new tire/wheel and kept the bum one as a spare.
FL.flatback 222 is offline  
Old 06-11-2019, 05:46 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 463
Default

Originally Posted by airbrush View Post
jack the trailer up and spin the wheels.
What purpose does that serve?
Cpfitness is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 12:48 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Beaverdam VA
Posts: 602
Default

Originally Posted by Cpfitness View Post
What purpose does that serve?
You can put a stick in the spokes and make motor sounds. Thank you. I'll be here all week.
Cobia 217 and Cpfitness like this.
SeaPro48 is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 01:09 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: St Petersburg
Posts: 343
Default

Originally Posted by Cpfitness View Post
What purpose does that serve?

to Visually inspect the rim and tire while spinning . You might actually see the issue , tire tread/belt broken , bent rim , etc ....
We know you spent 1000 miles staring at it in the mirror , but maybe being up close with another set of eyes looking at it while spinning by hand .

My my bet is cheap trailer tire.
Cpfitness likes this.
Pro69SS is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 01:24 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,124
Default

This could just as easily be a bent axle spindle as a tire or wheel issue.
Jack the trailer up, spin the tire/ wheel by hand and mark with chalk or tape the highest point of the run off, then remove the wheel, rotate it 180° and reinstall it. Does the highest point of the run off change? If it does then it is either the tire or the wheel. If the run off doesn't change then it is the axle.

Personally I don't think it is very responsible on your part to be putting the miles on the trailer with a known problem as you have!!!!!!!!!
Daimyo68 likes this.
Garett is offline  
Old 06-12-2019, 01:39 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Amongst the FL fishies
Posts: 6,759
Default

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
This could just as easily be a bent axle spindle as a tire or wheel issue.
Jack the trailer up, spin the tire/ wheel by hand and mark with chalk or tape the highest point of the run off, then remove the wheel, rotate it 180° and reinstall it. Does the highest point of the run off change? If it does then it is either the tire or the wheel. If the run off doesn't change then it is the axle.

Personally I don't think it is very responsible on your part to be putting the miles on the trailer with a known problem as you have!!!!!!!!!
Agree with Garett.


airbrush is offline  
Old 06-13-2019, 02:50 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 463
Default

Originally Posted by Pro69SS View Post



to Visually inspect the rim and tire while spinning . You might actually see the issue , tire tread/belt broken , bent rim , etc ....
We know you spent 1000 miles staring at it in the mirror , but maybe being up close with another set of eyes looking at it while spinning by hand .

My my bet is cheap trailer tire.
When I repacked the bearings a few weeks ago, we had it jacked up and took a good look but didn't see any obvious issues.
Cpfitness is offline  
Old 06-13-2019, 02:57 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 463
Default

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
This could just as easily be a bent axle spindle as a tire or wheel issue.
Jack the trailer up, spin the tire/ wheel by hand and mark with chalk or tape the highest point of the run off, then remove the wheel, rotate it 180° and reinstall it. Does the highest point of the run off change? If it does then it is either the tire or the wheel. If the run off doesn't change then it is the axle.

Personally I don't think it is very responsible on your part to be putting the miles on the trailer with a known problem as you have!!!!!!!!!
It isn't a vertical run off it's wobbly on the horizontal axis I suppose I can try to rig up a jig similar to a truing stand for bike wheels to do something similar.

As for me being responsible. I researched this issue right after I first repaired the trailer and a lot of the feedback I got was " it's all brand new stuff and you know it was installed correctly? Then turn up your music and stop looking in the mirror". So far that advice has been fine but I'm getting ready to sell and would like to sort out if there is a solution. I think I will tow it over to a tire shop where they can much more easily jack it up and check things out
Cpfitness is offline  
Old 06-13-2019, 05:43 AM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,124
Default

Originally Posted by Cpfitness View Post
It isn't a vertical run off it's wobbly on the horizontal axis I suppose I can try to rig up a jig similar to a truing stand for bike wheels to do something similar.

As for me being responsible. I researched this issue right after I first repaired the trailer and a lot of the feedback I got was " it's all brand new stuff and you know it was installed correctly? Then turn up your music and stop looking in the mirror". So far that advice has been fine but I'm getting ready to sell and would like to sort out if there is a solution. I think I will tow it over to a tire shop where they can much more easily jack it up and check things out
Vertical or horizontal, they are both run off. I didn't get into the procedure for testing because yesterday my mind wasn't working good enough to put my thoughts to paper without writing a short story. But your idea was mine at the time. It's so simple.

Just because an item is new doesn't mean that it is good, or in this case road worthy/ safe.......I used to work for Mack Truck at the manufacture level as an inspector certifying the trucks for highway use, so I know all about brand new not meeting standards.

Legally, now that you've acknowledged the deficiency to the general public if you put that trailer on the road and an event occurs associated to your trailer you will be accountable in a court.of law. I'm just saying.

Jacking up the trailer at home and testing it as we have discussed is easy and most effective in isolating the problem. If the problem is found to be in the wheel/ tire then take it off and go to the tire shop. If it is the axle then by legal rights/ safety you should be putting your trailer on a trailer to go back to the shop that installed the axle for them to be doing the service ....that or you do the axle/ spindle replacement yourself at home. But I "know" DOT would NOT approve of your trailer as road worthy and would pull it's plates.

Good luck
Garett is offline  
Old 06-13-2019, 05:45 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 463
Default

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
Vertical or horizontal, they are both run off. I didn't get into the procedure for testing because yesterday my mind wasn't working good enough to put my thoughts to paper without writing a short story. But your idea was mine at the time. It's so simple.

Just because an item is new doesn't mean that it is good, or in this case road worthy/ safe.......I used to work for Mack Truck at the manufacture level as an inspector certifying the trucks for highway use, so I know all about brand new not meeting standards.

Legally, now that you've acknowledged the deficiency to the general public if you put that trailer on the road and an event occurs associated to your trailer you will be accountable in a court.of law. I'm just saying.

Jacking up the trailer at home and testing it as we have discussed is easy and most effective in isolating the problem. If the problem is found to be in the wheel/ tire then take it off and go to the tire shop. If it is the axle then by legal rights/ safety you should be putting your trailer on a trailer to go back to the shop that installed the axle for them to be doing the service ....that or you do the axle/ spindle replacement yourself at home. But I "know" DOT would NOT approve of your trailer as road worthy and would pull it's plates.

Good luck
It was only a matter of time before the Hull Truth Legal Defense squad showed up!
Cpfitness is offline  
Old 06-13-2019, 06:04 AM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Garett's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 24,124
Default

Originally Posted by Cpfitness View Post
It was only a matter of time before the Hull Truth Legal Defense squad showed up!
If you get your head out of the sand you'd realize I'm only informing you to protect you not harp on you.
Garett is offline  
Old 06-13-2019, 06:20 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Tampa
Posts: 463
Default

Originally Posted by Garett View Post
If you get your head out of the sand you'd realize I'm only informing you to protect you not harp on you.
Head is not in the sand. But when you say stupid shit like I am liable if I sell it in this state you lose all credibility.
Cpfitness is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread