Notices
Like Tree8Likes

2019 Silverado 1500 4.3 Liter

Old 06-04-2019, 08:51 AM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 148
Default 2019 Silverado 1500 4.3 Liter

Can anyone comment on the 4.3 Liter engine in the Silverado? I am looking at a double cab 4×4. I like the longer bed. I only tow up to 5,000 lbs. I have always had V8s. Price is real good for a 2019 Custom Trail Boss double cab.
DeepSouth is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 08:57 AM
  #2  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 87
Default

(edited). personally i'd hold out for a 5.3, as it will be much easier to sell the truck down the road and will hold value better, as well as being more capable and getting similar fuel economy. that said the ecotec3 4.3 is a solid powerplant though, basically just the 5.3 ecotec3 with two cylinders lopped off, so probably just depends on just how good of a deal you're getting on it. I'd be willing to bet that if you wait until the 2020 model trucks come out you can probably get a v8 2019 for current v6 prices

unless something has changed, I don't believe you were able to get the independent transmission cooler on the 4.3 equipped trucks, which would be somewhat concerning if you are towing heavy during the very hot months of the year
dawgsfish is online now  
Old 06-04-2019, 09:27 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Michigan
Posts: 3,912
Default

Originally Posted by dawgsfish View Post
it's getting ditched for the 2020 model year for a updated 4.6L. personally i'd hold out for a 5.3, as it will be much easier to sell the truck down the road and will hold value better, as well as being more capable and getting similar fuel economy. that said the ecotec3 4.3 is a solid powerplant though, basically just the 5.3 ecotec3 with two cylinders lopped off, so probably just depends on just how good of a deal you're getting on it. I'd be willing to bet that if you wait until the 2020 model trucks come out you can probably get a v8 2019 for current v6 prices

unless something has changed, I don't believe you were able to get the independent transmission cooler on the 4.3 equipped trucks, which would be somewhat concerning if you are towing heavy during the very hot months of the year
Where are you reading about a updated 4.6L? Specs I've seen show the 4.3L still around.
ericinmich is online now  
Old 06-04-2019, 09:31 AM
  #4  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 87
Default

Originally Posted by ericinmich View Post
Where are you reading about a updated 4.6L? Specs I've seen show the 4.3L still around.
sorry about that you're totally right, the article I read about the 2020 powertrain lineup had it wrong! appreciate the catch. I would always be hesitant about buying a motor you know is being phased out, but since it's sticking around, definitely less worrisome. I'll edit my OP to reflect that
dawgsfish is online now  
Old 06-04-2019, 09:55 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: west tn
Posts: 724
Default

5k is an awful lot to ask of the mighty lil 4.3 in a fullsize PU. It isn't an LS 5.3 with two holes loped off, it's the old 5.7 350 minus two jugs that was the source for the 4.3. It's great motor for a FLAT country, sub 2-3k towing 4x4 but honestly it gets no better mileage than the 5.3 and like was said above, you'll take a bath come resale time. There's a reason they have huge rebates on them, they can't sell them! If you regularly tow 5k with a fullsize 4x4 I'd REALLY recommend you stick with the 5.3. The 4.3 was PERFECT in smaller trucks like the S10 and S10 Blazer. I don't know why GM saw fit to keep the 4.3 in the big trucks but not offer it in the Colorado? That'd be a mighty capable little package.
HatchieLuvr is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 09:59 AM
  #6  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 87
Default

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr View Post
5k is an awful lot to ask of the mighty lil 4.3 in a fullsize PU. It isn't an LS 5.3 with two holes loped off, it's the old 5.7 350 minus two jugs that was the source for the 4.3. It's great motor for a FLAT country, sub 2-3k towing 4x4 but honestly it gets no better mileage than the 5.3 and like was said above, you'll take a bath come resale time. There's a reason they have huge rebates on them, they can't sell them! If you regularly tow 5k with a fullsize 4x4 I'd REALLY recommend you stick with the 5.3. The 4.3 was PERFECT in smaller trucks like the S10 and S10 Blazer. I don't know why GM saw fit to keep the 4.3 in the big trucks but not offer it in the Colorado? That'd be a mighty capable little package.
that was accurate for the pre 2014 4.3l motors, the 2014+ ecotec3 is a different design entirely and is a 5th generation LT based platform
dawgsfish is online now  
Old 06-04-2019, 10:24 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: west tn
Posts: 724
Default

Originally Posted by dawgsfish View Post
that was accurate for the pre 2014 4.3l motors, the 2014+ ecotec3 is a different design entirely and is a 5th generation LT based platform
Ahhsooo I didn't know that, never have bothered keeping up with the 4.3 in the big trucks so I never knew they got the update like the 8s did. Sounds like quite a motor and for a 6 it likely is a heck of a mill. But I still wouldn't recommend towing 5k with one in a fullsize excab/sprcab 4x4. But obviously GM built it to do it. (Wow even moreso now, WHY don't they put that motor in the Colorado instead of their "car motor" 3.6? )

GM 4.3 Liter V6 EcoTec3 LV3 Engine Info, Power, Specs, Wiki | GM Authority
HatchieLuvr is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 10:40 AM
  #8  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 87
Default

Originally Posted by HatchieLuvr View Post
Ahhsooo I didn't know that, never have bothered keeping up with the 4.3 in the big trucks so I never knew they got the update like the 8s did. Sounds like quite a motor and for a 6 it likely is a heck of a mill. But I still wouldn't recommend towing 5k with one in a fullsize excab/sprcab 4x4. But obviously GM built it to do it. (Wow even moreso now, WHY don't they put that motor in the Colorado instead of their "car motor" 3.6? )

GM 4.3 Liter V6 EcoTec3 LV3 Engine Info, Power, Specs, Wiki | GM Authority
yeah the times they are a changing. a turbo I4 will be the standard motor on a lot of 2020 sierras and silverados so that will be interesting well. but yes the 4.3 ecotec3 is plenty capable. i'd rather tow with one of them and its 6 speed than a 5.3/4spd combo of yesteryear haha

my guess is that would negatively impact the sales of the 4cyl diesel in the colorado, or could just be simply not enough room, i'm not familiar with the footprints of those off the top of my head, that would be a peppy little 1/4 ton truck though
dawgsfish is online now  
Old 06-04-2019, 11:00 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 332
Default

the 4.3 is a fantastic engine that has been around for a LOOOONG time and as stated previously is a 350 with 2 cylinders cut off. Might be ok for a single cab work truck and smaller, but thats about it. can't think of any better motor for a Colorado...
abfish likes this.
kawakx125 is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 11:01 AM
  #10  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 87
Default

Originally Posted by kawakx125 View Post
the 4.3 is a fantastic engine that has been around for a LOOOONG time and as stated previously is a 350 with 2 cylinders cut off. Might be ok for a single cab work truck and smaller, but thats about it. can't think of any better motor for a Colorado...
we've already been through this in this thread, the current iteration of the 4.3 is not based off the 350. it is 5th generation LT architecture
dawgsfish is online now  
Old 06-04-2019, 11:20 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,384
Default

The only thing in common with the old 4.3 is the 4.3 number, its all new, at least new a few years ago. The 4.3 V6 should have twin turbos on it.
CruiseToFish is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 12:15 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: florida
Posts: 381
Default

Does it come with a purse to carry your miniature yorkie in also?
ronyon1, captain28570 and SeaPro48 like this.
simeoncoleman is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 03:46 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 583
Default

I have a 18 4.3. It gets 20 mpg and tows my 2101WA fine. Its got plenty of power but it does need to be around 3K rpms to really show it. Im leasing and will get rid of it at terms end. 300 a month for 15K a year no money down 39 months was a good deal.
sorry charlie is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 04:49 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Mandeville, LA
Posts: 148
Default

Thanks for the comments. I am going with the 3500HD with the 6.6 liter Duramax.
DeepSouth is offline  
Old 06-04-2019, 08:32 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: west tn
Posts: 724
Default

Originally Posted by DeepSouth View Post
Thanks for the comments. I am going with the 3500HD with the 6.6 liter Duramax.
Well talk about jumping from A to Z! THAT will tow anything you want, anytime, anywhere.
HatchieLuvr is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 07:29 AM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Tampa Florida
Posts: 4,939
Default

Originally Posted by DeepSouth View Post
Thanks for the comments. I am going with the 3500HD with the 6.6 liter Duramax.
please explain how you went from a moped with a cab and a/c to a duramax?
Thalasso likes this.
Rolandt03 is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 07:32 AM
  #17  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Athens, GA
Posts: 87
Default

Yeah that's quite a jump. I can't wait to see how the 2020 duramaxs do with the 10spd Allison
dawgsfish is online now  
Old 06-05-2019, 07:48 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Reading, PA/Indian River, DE
Posts: 2,764
Default

Get a 2020 Custom Trail Boss with the 6.2 when they come out.
jtav2002 is offline  
Old 06-05-2019, 07:57 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Pgh Pa
Posts: 14,809
Default

Originally Posted by Rolandt03 View Post
please explain how you went from a moped with a cab and a/c to a duramax?

Me be thinking it was a setup post. He was going Duramax the whole time
Thalasso is online now  
Old 06-05-2019, 09:05 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 7,406
Default

Not a fan of under powered trucks.
mikefloyd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread