Notices

Ford ecoboost

Old 05-10-2019, 10:26 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Pierre Part, LA
Posts: 285
Received 141 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Ford ecoboost

I'm looking at purchasing the wife an new vehicle. Her last 3 have either been a Tahoe XL or a Chevy Suburban.
We went to the Ford dealer the other day and looked at the Expedition Max and really liked it. We did not have time to drive it.
When we got home I did some research and found that the only motor they offer is the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost.
This scares me a little, we pull the boat or a 20' trailer with a side by side and 2 4 wheelers with her vehicle when the girls want to bring friends on the boat or to the camp.
Her GM vehicles with the 5.3 has no issue pulling what we need to pull and I doubt the dealer will let me hook up the boat for a test drive.
So those of you that may have a EcoBoost. How does it pull?
Any issues with that motor?
Old 05-10-2019, 10:29 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 320
Received 215 Likes on 108 Posts
Default

I put a Ford 900 powermaster tractor with a 5' bush hog mower on a trailer behind mine and pulled it down the interstate at 70mph. I routinely pull my 31' cape horn with my F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost. They have more torque than the V8's. I like them so well I got another in my 2019 truck. You won't even know that side by side is back there.
Likes:
Old 05-10-2019, 10:30 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 3,649
Received 3,460 Likes on 1,573 Posts
Default

3.5EB is a great motor and a beast for what it is. I have 70K on my F150 with 3.5EB and have had no issues what so ever with it. I would not worry about. Ford knocked it out of the park with that design.
Likes:
Old 05-10-2019, 10:43 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 8,492
Received 4,021 Likes on 2,275 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by latravcha View Post
I'm looking at purchasing the wife an new vehicle. Her last 3 have either been a Tahoe XL or a Chevy Suburban.
We went to the Ford dealer the other day and looked at the Expedition Max and really liked it. We did not have time to drive it.
When we got home I did some research and found that the only motor they offer is the 3.5L V6 EcoBoost.
This scares me a little, we pull the boat or a 20' trailer with a side by side and 2 4 wheelers with her vehicle when the girls want to bring friends on the boat or to the camp.
Her GM vehicles with the 5.3 has no issue pulling what we need to pull and I doubt the dealer will let me hook up the boat for a test drive.
So those of you that may have a EcoBoost. How does it pull?
Any issues with that motor?
The ecoboost is going to have way more HP and torque than that 5.3L.
Likes:
Old 05-10-2019, 10:50 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Posts: 2,796
Received 2,771 Likes on 1,727 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by mikefloyd View Post
The ecoboost is going to have way more HP and torque than that 5.3L.
Reading the title, I thought they might have marinized the 3.5EB!
Likes:
Old 05-10-2019, 10:51 AM
  #6  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

What everyone else said, the ecoboost will put the 5.3 to shame, especially towing...
Likes:
Old 05-10-2019, 10:52 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Trussville, AL
Posts: 1,074
Received 556 Likes on 323 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lorne Greene View Post
3.5EB is a great motor and a beast for what it is. I have 70K on my F150 with 3.5EB and have had no issues what so ever with it. I would not worry about. Ford knocked it out of the park with that design.
It also doesn't have the variable cam timing to screw up.

Likes:
Old 05-10-2019, 10:52 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,448
Received 9,267 Likes on 5,013 Posts
Default

EB is the power king of the segment at low RPM. Get the HD Trailer Tow package and you will get the 3.73 gearing, which gives it the most towing capacity in the class.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:52 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 7
Likes: 0
Received 22 Likes on 8 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by km1125 View Post
Reading the title, I thought they might have marinized the 3.5EB!
I wish, indmar does marinize the 2.3 ecoboost, but not the 3.5 as of yet...
Old 05-10-2019, 10:54 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Trussville, AL
Posts: 1,074
Received 556 Likes on 323 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
EB is the power king of the segment at low RPM. Get the HD Trailer Tow package and you will get the 3.73 gearing, which gives it the most towing capacity in the class.
and the integrated trailer brake option.

Likes:
Old 05-10-2019, 10:54 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,301
Received 644 Likes on 270 Posts
Default

My F150 has a 13,500 lbs. towing rating with the 3.5L EcoBoost.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:05 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: greenville s.c.
Posts: 1,620
Received 480 Likes on 270 Posts
Default

Just got my wife a 2017 expedition limited with the 3.5 and it has done nothing but impress . Don't think you will be disappointed at all . Pretty peppy at 6 sec. 0-60 with tons of tow capacity .
Old 05-10-2019, 11:09 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 210
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Not to hijack, but I'm looking at a 15' F-150 with the 2.7 EcoBoost. How does this engine perform?
Old 05-10-2019, 11:09 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,448
Received 9,267 Likes on 5,013 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jshanks View Post
Not to hijack, but I'm looking at a 15' F-150 with the 2.7 EcoBoost. How does this engine perform?
How would you be using it?
Old 05-10-2019, 11:13 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 579
Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Default

I had a Ford F150 Ecoboost, towed 28', 6k lb. trailer like it wasn't even there and had plenty of power/torque to spare. Truck was comfortable and well equipped. I recently got sold traded her with 125k miles due some issues that I didn't feel could be resolved. What was happening was while underway the truck would go into "limp mode". First time it happened I was passing a semi on a two lane road, scared the shit out of us. Took to dealer, no codes, this was at 100k miles, they did the 100k service (changed plugs) and everything was fine until it happened again at 118k miles, same situation. It happened 3 more times in rapid succession at 122k miles. Started researching as well as talking to Ford service and other mechanics and just couldn't get the sense that anyone knew what to do with it. Ford wanted to start replacing parts. They'd already done the plugs so the throttle body was next up ($500), if that didn't do it they look and see what was next. There were enough tales online of people who'd spend thousands on same or similar issues that I decided it was time to part ways with the truck.

I'm not trashing Ford, the F150 or the EB motor in any way, just throwing it out there to inform. For me at 123k miles it was just time to invest in something new as this was our primary traveler and we no longer had the confidence in it.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:22 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 210
Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by autobaun70 View Post
How would you be using it?
Driving 25 miles to work on the interstate, pulling trailer with a 4wheeler, and pulling trailer with a 21' boat or a 17' boat.

Don't really tow anything heavy.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:29 AM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Suburb of Sugar Tit SC
Posts: 14,448
Received 9,267 Likes on 5,013 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by jshanks View Post
Driving 25 miles to work on the interstate, pulling trailer with a 4wheeler, and pulling trailer with a 21' boat or a 17' boat.

Don't really tow anything heavy.
That's about ideal usage for the 2.7.
Likes:
Old 05-10-2019, 12:47 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Nashville, 'Merica!
Posts: 1,765
Received 2,967 Likes on 1,280 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by dlos View Post
I had a Ford F150 Ecoboost, towed 28', 6k lb. trailer like it wasn't even there and had plenty of power/torque to spare. Truck was comfortable and well equipped. I recently got sold traded her with 125k miles due some issues that I didn't feel could be resolved. What was happening was while underway the truck would go into "limp mode". First time it happened I was passing a semi on a two lane road, scared the shit out of us. Took to dealer, no codes, this was at 100k miles, they did the 100k service (changed plugs) and everything was fine until it happened again at 118k miles, same situation. It happened 3 more times in rapid succession at 122k miles. Started researching as well as talking to Ford service and other mechanics and just couldn't get the sense that anyone knew what to do with it. Ford wanted to start replacing parts. They'd already done the plugs so the throttle body was next up ($500), if that didn't do it they look and see what was next. There were enough tales online of people who'd spend thousands on same or similar issues that I decided it was time to part ways with the truck.

I'm not trashing Ford, the F150 or the EB motor in any way, just throwing it out there to inform. For me at 123k miles it was just time to invest in something new as this was our primary traveler and we no longer had the confidence in it.
My buddies did the exact same thing. A new throttle body fixed the problem and he hasn't had an issue since.

My ecoboost had terrible "turbo lag" when I would accelerate out of a rolling stop. No codes = no fixes. Finally couldn't take it anymore and traded it. But it towed my boat like a champ.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:51 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: St Barths F.W.I.
Posts: 4,548
Received 419 Likes on 193 Posts
Default

My '19 Limited pulls the INV out with ease. Better then any of my previous Limiteds.
Old 05-10-2019, 01:05 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Fort Pierce,FL
Posts: 6,241
Received 1,207 Likes on 782 Posts
Default

The new 10 speed transmission is also a game changer.
Likes:

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.