Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > Trucks & Trailers
Reload this Page >

New trailer transport Boston to California no registration


New trailer transport Boston to California no registration

Old 04-18-2019, 09:00 AM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New trailer transport Boston to California no registration

I bought a boat and a brand new trailer in Boston and are going to have it transported to California being towed.

My problem is the registration.... Mass will not give temp plates for new vehicles or trailers. They won’t allow you to register it in Mass with out a Mass address.

California wont allow me to register it without a physical serial number inspection, which is impossible when it’s in Boston.

Anybody ever run into this debacle?
Old 04-18-2019, 09:13 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 3,686
Received 713 Likes on 439 Posts

If you are having it towed by a hauler, they should have plates for the haul. Call the company
I just had a trailer and boat delivered from VA. Trailer had no tag. Hauler had a commercial tag that he put on for the trip.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:38 AM
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: People's Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 832
Received 1,014 Likes on 488 Posts

If you go into the DMV. you can get temp plates pending any required inspections. Just bring in your purchase paperwork. It'll be fine.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:52 AM
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Marblehead, Ma
Posts: 790
Received 274 Likes on 156 Posts

Talk to your boat hauler- They should be able use their company plates. Mass registration is a joke- They will want the sales tax, plate fees, and depending on the weight of the trailer a few hundred more for the registration.
Old 04-18-2019, 06:07 PM
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Littlejohn Island, Maine
Posts: 681
Received 163 Likes on 96 Posts

Just register the trailer in Maine.
Old 04-22-2019, 08:28 PM
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: mass. / fla.
Posts: 1,312
Received 177 Likes on 133 Posts

Have a LEO from Boston verify the Vin # on the trailer and show it to Cal. DMV. Mass. has a form just for that. I do it for Fl. DMV. Any local cop can do it.
Old 04-23-2019, 08:52 AM
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 8,435
Received 4,003 Likes on 2,263 Posts

I would think a notarized copy of a bill of sale would be fine for most police. We tow farm trailers with no tags all the time and never get stopped.
Old 04-24-2019, 09:01 AM
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 918
Received 296 Likes on 173 Posts

In some states (Washington for example) you can buy a temporary trip permit for unlicensed vehicles. No documentation required.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.