Notices
Like Tree15Likes

18 Ram 2500 gasser?

Old 04-12-2019, 03:00 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SEC Penna
Posts: 8,767
Default 18 Ram 2500 gasser?

Got a fantastic price on a 18 Ram 2500 Laramie gas I almost can't pass up. Will be great for now (28' 7k wet travel trailer) but I saw some reviews that this drivetrain struggles upper limits, weight and mountains. Not sure I'll ever test those limits but any info is appreciated. Thanks.
kone is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 04:46 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 733
Default

I'm assuming it has the 6.4? I can't comment on that particular engine but I had a 2012 2500 with the 5.7. The tranny was a 66RFE. It had a tall 2nd gear and when pulling it would fall on its face when it shifted to 2nd and then eventually recover. Buddy of mine has the 6.4 that he tows his 5th wheel with and seems to like it. The 66RFE was a mix of the 65RFE and the 68RFE. I think it was built with the 65 casing with the 68 guts but I may be mistaken. I'm not sure which transmission is mated with the big gasser.
NSengnr28 is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 05:12 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,462
Default

7k should be nothing for that combo. They finally decided to stick the 8 speed behind the 6.4 in the new redesigned 2500's. I'd expect it to outperform the 66rfe truck in every conceivable way. That's what I'd be looking to get if I were in the market for a HD Dodge gasser.
NSengnr28 likes this.
Elgreco809 is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 05:28 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 886
Default

We have 2 3500 gas
one is flatbed daily other is dump truck.
we tow 10klb miniexcavator with zero issue
yardpro is offline  
Old 04-12-2019, 06:03 PM
  #5  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,829
Default

You should be fine. My 6.0 GMC gasser tows my 7K rig well..
Cracker is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 04:06 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SEC Penna
Posts: 8,767
Default

Not really worried about it towing my current trailer, more concerned about long term issues, dependability, and towing bigger units should I move up.

I could buy a F150 3.5 Max tow and have a better dd, better mpg, but no room should I go bigger down the line.

Thanks.
kone is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 08:05 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Jughed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Rocky Point, N.E. River
Posts: 7,422
Default

I’ve got one with the 6.4 and 410 rear. Tow about 9k regularly, about 7-8k miles of towing so far, almost 1/2 of the trucks miles.

It has has plenty of power.

Towed from MD to way upstate NY, up the NE extension, cruise set at 63 and let the truck do it’s job. 3400 RPm up the longer grades, 2100 on the flats, at 63 MPh the entire ride.

Some of the reviews that claim “lack of power” are based on hauling 16k up the Ike to 11000’ with the foot to the floor for the entire climb. Well that’s not real world everyday conditions for 99% of the people that own a 2500 gasser. And the computer limited their speeds so they didn’t implode the rig.

I have zero issues getting up to speed, merging, climbing, maintaining speeds - it’s just thirsty.
xtshawytscha likes this.
Jughed is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 08:19 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,829
Default

^^^^ All gas work trucks are thirsty .... I truly believe the gasser are more reliable than the diesels when you add in all the reports of emissions issues.. I know some people need diesels due to pulling max loads on a regular basis but heavy duty gassers have their place...
Cracker is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 08:29 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 236
Default

i think ns28 is right
the problem with that trans is the gearing
i believe it has the same ratios as the cummins and is not ideal for a gasser
reliability is not an issue
R1ckyBobby is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 08:30 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: SEC Penna
Posts: 8,767
Default

Originally Posted by Jughed View Post
I’ve got one with the 6.4 and 410 rear. Tow about 9k regularly, about 7-8k miles of towing so far, almost 1/2 of the trucks miles.

It has has plenty of power.

Towed from MD to way upstate NY, up the NE extension, cruise set at 63 and let the truck do it’s job. 3400 RPm up the longer grades, 2100 on the flats, at 63 MPh the entire ride.

Some of the reviews that claim “lack of power” are based on hauling 16k up the Ike to 11000’ with the foot to the floor for the entire climb. Well that’s not real world everyday conditions for 99% of the people that own a 2500 gasser. And the computer limited their speeds so they didn’t implode the rig.

I have zero issues getting up to speed, merging, climbing, maintaining speeds - it’s just thirsty.
thanks.

I hear you about the "gauntlet" stuff. What do you see for mpg towing and everyday? I have a similarly great deal on the diesel Big Horn edition, pretty much same price Laramie gas or Big Horn Diesel. Don't need diesel at all but hard to not take that just for the long term investment and never having to worry.
kone is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 08:47 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,434
Default

Given the way the diesels hold their value I would definitely do that over a gas. Lots of folks fuss about the emissions stuff on diesels, but the rams are pretty well solid in that regards. And from the sounds of it your use will allow you to stay in warranty for quite some time.
kone likes this.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 11:02 AM
  #12  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,829
Default

^^^ I disagree if you dont work a diesel, the problems are more frequent...An injector or lift pump issue is A LOT of money...I will say 2500 gassers are more of a niche truck. For people like me (I put a total of 25K on my gas 2500 4x4 in 3 yrs time period and pull occasional loads less than 10k) they make more sense than diesel. A gas 2500 will go 200k mileage easy while a diesel will go 600k to 800k but you are replacing everything else on the truck 2 and 3 times because it has a 200k body.. just my opinion..
billinstuart and kone like this.
Cracker is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 11:29 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Palm
Posts: 5,766
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
^^^ I disagree if you dont work a diesel, the problems are more frequent...An injector or lift pump issue is A LOT of money...I will say 2500 gassers are more of a niche truck. For people like me (I put a total of 25K on my gas 2500 4x4 in 3 yrs time period and pull occasional loads less than 10k) they make more sense than diesel. A gas 2500 will go 200k mileage easy while a diesel will go 600k to 800k but you are replacing everything else on the truck 2 and 3 times because it has a 200k body.. just my opinion..
Injectors were so 2008. Lift pumps even older than that. None of that stuff goes bad anymore unless you buy a chevy.
cajflynn is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 11:45 AM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,829
Default

Originally Posted by cajflynn View Post
Injectors were so 2008. Lift pumps even older than that. None of that stuff goes bad anymore unless you buy a chevy.
I know you use your trucks and that helps...your mileage may vary but the fact it is a diesel is a high mileage motor in a 200k mileage body, that is a fact..

Last edited by Cracker; 04-13-2019 at 12:23 PM.
Cracker is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 03:03 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,462
Default

Originally Posted by cajflynn View Post
Injectors were so 2008. Lift pumps even older than that. None of that stuff goes bad anymore unless you buy a chevy.
You are a bit of an outlier lol. I was certified on diesels when I worked at the Dodge dealer so I dabbled with the Cummins a little although I don't care for working on them. Soot is a problem. Mostly for people who putt around town not working them. The absolute first thing we did when there was a drivability or emission problem was check what RPM, mph and load the engine spent most of it's time in. I think going to DEF has helped a little bit.
Elgreco809 is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 03:31 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: SC
Posts: 10,434
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
^^^ I disagree if you dont work a diesel, the problems are more frequent...An injector or lift pump issue is A LOT of money...I will say 2500 gassers are more of a niche truck. For people like me (I put a total of 25K on my gas 2500 4x4 in 3 yrs time period and pull occasional loads less than 10k) they make more sense than diesel. A gas 2500 will go 200k mileage easy while a diesel will go 600k to 800k but you are replacing everything else on the truck 2 and 3 times because it has a 200k body.. just my opinion..
agree, if it’s strictly an “around town” truck. But from the sounds of it it will get plenty of miles under load which will easily negate the occasional short stuff. Main thing with diesel or any turbo motor is they need to get good and hot more often than not when they get run. Doesn’t have to get run hard. Just doesn’t need to barely crack the thermostat then get shut down day in and day out.
Cracker and dave8311 like this.
autobaun70 is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 05:19 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Palm
Posts: 5,766
Default

Originally Posted by Cracker View Post
I know you use your trucks and that helps...your mileage may vary but the fact it is a diesel is a high mileage motor in a 200k mileage body, that is a fact..
Isn't that line getting old? I'm all for trash talking about trucks but you have to get some new stuff.
cajflynn is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 05:35 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: West Palm
Posts: 5,766
Default

Originally Posted by Elgreco809 View Post
You are a bit of an outlier lol. I was certified on diesels when I worked at the Dodge dealer so I dabbled with the Cummins a little although I don't care for working on them. Soot is a problem. Mostly for people who putt around town not working them. The absolute first thing we did when there was a drivability or emission problem was check what RPM, mph and load the engine spent most of it's time in. I think going to DEF has helped a little bit.
The OP is buying a new truck. I don't see the relevance of discussing truck problems of the older trucks. All trucks have issue and all the new ones work great (unless they're chevys.). I'm sure the OP will have a nice truck wether it is gas or diesel. As for being an outlier, I probably put more miles on a Ford, Ram, and Chevy every year than most people on here so I think I have a unique view of all of the trucks. I choose Rams because of the Mega Cabs and because they require less service and last longer. Yes, Mr Cracker, those are facts too.

As for gas being strong enough, I towed a 31 BW conquest from Florida to San Diego three times last year. All three times I used a F250 gas truck. No matter how much tongue weight I had, the load was squirrelly over 60 mph and terrifying going down steep hills. I'd guess that load weighed around 12k lbs. Fuel mileage was the same as the diesel truck (8mpg) but gas was cheaper and I didn't have to buy DEF fluid so there's that. If I was towing a 31' Conquest as my own, I'd want a 3/4 diesel. Anything less than a 31' Conquest would probably be fine with a gasser.
bigfish55 likes this.
cajflynn is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 05:50 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: St. Augustine, Fl
Posts: 21,829
Default

Originally Posted by cajflynn View Post
Isn't that line getting old? I'm all for trash talking about trucks but you have to get some new stuff.
I am not gonna argue with you, you are very brand loyal. All trucks are better today BUT a diesel engine likes being worked hard and usually lasts a long time but components on the truck from front end to trannies and other parts have a much shorter life... have a great night, drive safe..

Last edited by Cracker; 04-13-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Cracker is offline  
Old 04-13-2019, 06:18 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 1,462
Default

Originally Posted by cajflynn View Post
The OP is buying a new truck. I don't see the relevance of discussing truck problems of the older trucks. All trucks have issue and all the new ones work great (unless they're chevys.). I'm sure the OP will have a nice truck wether it is gas or diesel. As for being an outlier, I probably put more miles on a Ford, Ram, and Chevy every year than most people on here so I think I have a unique view of all of the trucks. I choose Rams because of the Mega Cabs and because they require less service and last longer. Yes, Mr Cracker, those are facts too.

As for gas being strong enough, I towed a 31 BW conquest from Florida to San Diego three times last year. All three times I used a F250 gas truck. No matter how much tongue weight I had, the load was squirrelly over 60 mph and terrifying going down steep hills. I'd guess that load weighed around 12k lbs. Fuel mileage was the same as the diesel truck (8mpg) but gas was cheaper and I didn't have to buy DEF fluid so there's that. If I was towing a 31' Conquest as my own, I'd want a 3/4 diesel. Anything less than a 31' Conquest would probably be fine with a gasser.
I said you are an outlier because you actually use these trucks for what they were made for. It's the guys that buy a diesel and only tow their boat/camper a couple times a year that run into trouble. No debate that a diesel is a better choice when it comes to big loads. I would hope to hell they have improved them since I've been out of the dealership. I had a particular 2010 3/4 ton cummins that kicked my ass. It also kicked the Cummins master engineers ass too. Would endlessly throw excessive soot codes. I think the owner just gave up and lived with the CEL. At one point the Cummins engineer hinted at telling the guy to delete it all LOL. Customer said he was going to do that once the warranty was up anyways.
Cracker likes this.
Elgreco809 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread