Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BONUS FORUMS > The Sports Forum
Reload this Page >

Who is Watching the Women World Cup

Notices

Who is Watching the Women World Cup

Old 06-22-2015, 06:53 PM
  #41  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,462
Default

We look like England out there. Aimless long balls and missed penalty kicks. No link up from back to front.
N2theblue is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 07:07 PM
  #42  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,369
Default

Originally Posted by N2theblue View Post
We look like England out there. Aimless long balls and missed penalty kicks. No link up from back to front.

Agree: maybe before the next game we can have them play "God save the Queen" and fly the cross of St George.

So where is the problem, is it the players or the coaches poor strategies, Alex Morgan looks a bit overweight and slower than usual, should Sydney Loruex and Christen Press be in the starting line-up.
Reel 007 is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 07:12 PM
  #43  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,462
Default

Alex still isn't fit due to her injury, playing herself into shape. Wambach is slowing down and the talent just isn't there in the central midfield. We have loads of forwards but are lacking behind them.
N2theblue is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 07:21 PM
  #44  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 118
Default

I agree it is a midi problem. The defense is stout and playing well, and the team has plenty of offensive talent whichever way they go... but Holiday and Lloyd have been totally unimpressive, Heath looks lost, and Rapinoe wants to do it all herself. Losing Holiday and Rapinoe will create a real challenge for the US, but maybe getting some fresh legs and eager hearts out there will create a much needed spark.

I was impressed with Morgan's play tonight, but she was alone as Wambach looked tired from the start. Press showed a lot when she came in... though raw and inexperienced, her speed and energy add a lot to the team.
SENC is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 07:33 PM
  #45  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,676
Default

.

Coach sucks can't change anything based on the flow of the game.

Ref sucks again, she bought into the Columbian lose the ball then flop strategy, yet Columbia could hammer the U.S. Players with impunity.

Perez the Columbian goalie needs to file for asylum I wouldn't go home if I were her.


.
shadco is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 07:44 PM
  #46  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,369
Default

Originally Posted by shadco View Post
.

Coach sucks can't change anything based on the flow of the game.

Ref sucks again, she bought into the Columbian lose the ball then flop strategy, yet Columbia could hammer the U.S. Players with impunity.

Perez the Columbian goalie needs to file for asylum I wouldn't go home if I were her.


.

Home is Boca Raton, not sure but I think she went to U of Miami.

Read someplace before the start of the WWC that there are more than fifty players born in the USA playing and near 100 that when to Collage here, including nineteen players on the Canadian team.
Reel 007 is offline  
Old 06-22-2015, 08:29 PM
  #47  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,676
Default

Originally Posted by Reel 007 View Post
Home is Boca Raton, not sure but I think she went to U of Miami.

Read someplace before the start of the WWC that there are more than fifty players born in the USA playing and near 100 that when to Collage here, including nineteen players on the Canadian team.
I just don't want her the suffer the same fate as the last Colombian Goalie that screwed up in the WC.

.
shadco is offline  
Old 06-23-2015, 01:12 AM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,941
Default

Originally Posted by shadco View Post
.

Coach sucks can't change anything based on the flow of the game.

Ref sucks again, she bought into the Columbian lose the ball then flop strategy, yet Columbia could hammer the U.S. Players with impunity.

Perez the Columbian goalie needs to file for asylum I wouldn't go home if I were her.


.
Maybe she was making up for the terrible calls in the Colombian - England game last week where I swear the ref must has sipped tea with the English girls after the game. Some of the worst, most biased calls I've seen in soccer in a long time; thank you Carol Anne Chenard.

Of course, they blew another big call that cost Mexico the game against Colombia a week prior to that too.
On the Half Shell is offline  
Old 06-23-2015, 04:28 AM
  #49  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 714
Default

Last night the US did not play like the #2 ranked team in the world and Colombia did not play like the #22 ranked team in the world. Both teams played hard and with determination, the Colombian ladies had some of the best footwork I have ever seen, some looked like they were dancing with the ball, yet they could not finish when it counted. Both defenses were solid, and the Colombian keeper should have gone for that ball with her body and not her feet, the ejection of their keeper was a definite turning point of the game as Colombia was giving the US a run for their money.

The US needs to change their strategy with a Chinese team that is fast and physical. The current go long and sprint it out will put the US at a disadvantage against the Chinese.
holy_crap is offline  
Old 06-23-2015, 06:20 AM
  #50  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Idaho/Mississippi
Posts: 1,413
Default

My analysis of the game.
1. US has got to stop starting Abby. She is the wrong player for the game and isn't working well with Alex. I thought Christian did a good job and I would start her up top with Alex or at least start Sydney and Alex. Abby is dangerous off the bench in a game when you must have a late goal as she is the best off set pieces but not for flow of play goals anymore.
2. Defense is solid and will always give us a chance.
3. Solo is so perfect in her positioning that she makes the game look easy.
4. We will miss Rapione but she has tried to do it all her self way too much. Hopefully some fresh and hungry new mids will help against China and they will find some better linkage to the attack.
5. One of the worst officiated games I have seen in this WC. The entire officiating crew was flat awful. I was SHOCKED the ref actually got the red card correct. About the only thing she did right. Neither of the yellows we got were even close to warranting cards.

Bottom line: We better figure out some attack against China as its our last chance. No way we can win any games beyond that one on sheer talent alone. We will have to score goals to win from then on out.
ifsteve is offline  
Old 06-23-2015, 07:46 AM
  #51  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,676
Default

Originally Posted by holy_crap View Post
Last night the US did not play like the #2 ranked team in the world and Colombia did not play like the #22 ranked team in the world. Both teams played hard and with determination, the Colombian ladies had some of the best footwork I have ever seen, some looked like they were dancing with the ball, yet they could not finish when it counted. Both defenses were solid, and the Colombian keeper should have gone for that ball with her body and not her feet, the ejection of their keeper was a definite turning point of the game as Colombia was giving the US a run for their money.

The US needs to change their strategy with a Chinese team that is fast and physical. The current go long and sprint it out will put the US at a disadvantage against the Chinese.

That footwork is very easy to pull off when the ref is going to call a foul or issue a yellow card if you so much as breathe on a Columbian player.

Without the French ref trying to influence France's potential going forward not so much.

.
shadco is offline  
Old 06-23-2015, 09:36 AM
  #52  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,369
Default

Originally Posted by shadco View Post
That footwork is very easy to pull off when the ref is going to call a foul or issue a yellow card if you so much as breathe on a Columbian player.

Without the French ref trying to influence France's potential going forward not so much.

.

Are you suggesting that the refs should be from the other side of the bracket, when FIFA assign the refs they must have realized the impact and perception problem they may have if the refs made a controversial game changing call against the USA.

And they made that controversial call twice.

Now lets see if we can find the silver lining behind the dark cloud.
Bench Wambach start a younger faster line up and run China in to the ground, with 20--25 minutes left put Wambach in, run the ball down the wings and cross it in to the penalty box.
Reel 007 is offline  
Old 06-23-2015, 09:44 AM
  #53  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Idaho/Mississippi
Posts: 1,413
Default

Originally Posted by Reel 007 View Post
Are you suggesting that the refs should be from the other side of the bracket, when FIFA assign the refs they must have realized the impact and perception problem they may have if the refs made a controversial game changing call against the USA.

And they made that controversial call twice.

Now lets see if we can find the silver lining behind the dark cloud.
Bench Wambach start a younger faster line up and run China in to the ground, with 20--25 minutes left put Wambach in, run the ball down the wings and cross it in to the penalty box.
FIFA has set up the entire tournament to hose the US and favor Canada.

1. They set up brackets with the top 3 teams in the world (US, Germany, and France) all on the same side of the bracket guaranteeing that only one of them can make the final.
2. They gave Canada the easiest path to the final as they possibly could.
3. The US plays China on Friday. China played on Saturday and gets two full days rest more than the US. No way that should ever happen. Ever.
4. It is not normally the practice to assign referees to a game where the country they are from could benefit from the outcome. Assigning a French ref to last nights game was just plain stupid.
ifsteve is offline  
Old 06-23-2015, 09:58 AM
  #54  
Closed Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Posts: 2,770
Default

Originally Posted by Reel 007 View Post
Are you suggesting that the refs should be from the other side of the bracket, when FIFA assign the refs they must have realized the impact and perception problem they may have if the refs made a controversial game changing call against the USA.

And they made that controversial call twice.

Now lets see if we can find the silver lining behind the dark cloud.
Bench Wambach start a younger faster line up and run China in to the ground, with 20--25 minutes left put Wambach in, run the ball down the wings and cross it in to the penalty box.
well said
BoemarineBrian is offline  
Old 06-23-2015, 10:13 AM
  #55  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location:
Posts: 455
Default

Originally Posted by ifsteve View Post
FIFA has set up the entire tournament to hose the US and favor Canada.
Only sporting events more corrupt then the Olympics is WC Soccer... Men's and Women's both. You expect them to "hose" the home team?
Rockchalk is offline  
Old 06-23-2015, 10:50 AM
  #56  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,676
Default

Originally Posted by Rockchalk View Post
Only sporting events more corrupt then the Olympics is WC Soccer... Men's and Women's both. You expect them to "hose" the home team?
WWC = Figure Skating

Now lets see if we can find the silver lining behind the dark cloud.
Holiday out check

Rapinoe not so much

I don't think the US Women stand much of a chance the way the mid field has been playing.

Loyd needs some splinters too.

.
shadco is offline  
Old 06-23-2015, 05:48 PM
  #57  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,941
Default

In the Colombia - England match, Carol Anne Chenard (ref) was congratulating an English player on a good game, and laughing with her while she was still on the field. I can't imagine a conversation where that would be appropriate at that time and place.

The Latin American teams always have the best footwork but the European teams always have the best passing, positioning, and team work.... remember last year's Men's WC match between Brazil and Germany?
On the Half Shell is offline  
Old 06-23-2015, 06:35 PM
  #58  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 2,369
Default

Originally Posted by On the Half Shell View Post
In the Colombia - England match, Carol Anne Chenard (ref) was congratulating an English player on a good game, and laughing with her while she was still on the field. I can't imagine a conversation where that would be appropriate at that time and place.

The Latin American teams always have the best footwork but the European teams always have the best passing, positioning, and team work.... remember last year's Men's WC match between Brazil and Germany?

I think the number one reason for the difference in style of play as to with the way the players are first introduced to the game.
Most of the European with maybe exception of France grew up playing in structured league with coaches much like the North American (USA/Canadian) players.
the South/Central American players first exposures to the game are usually in the streets.
They develop that freestyle way of playing before they are exposed to coaching.
can't unring that bell.
Reel 007 is offline  
Old 06-23-2015, 06:52 PM
  #59  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,941
Default

Originally Posted by Reel 007 View Post
I think the number one reason for the difference in style of play as to with the way the players are first introduced to the game.
Most of the European with maybe exception of France grew up playing in structured league with coaches much like the North American (USA/Canadian) players.
the South/Central American players first exposures to the game are usually in the streets.
They develop that freestyle way of playing before they are exposed to coaching.
can't unring that bell.
I'd say you're right.
On the Half Shell is offline  
Old 06-25-2015, 04:55 AM
  #60  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Delray Beach FL
Posts: 1,899
Default

Originally Posted by shadco View Post
I just don't want her the suffer the same fate as the last Colombian Goalie that screwed up in the WC.

.
That was a defender that scored own goal that got him killed.

I am impressed with overall speed the women are playing at, very comparable to mens games. Also girls seem to get less gassed as the game nears the end vs men. Very exciting WC, enjoying it.
Penta Diesel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread