Notices

Lamar Jackson/Ravens

Old 12-12-2019, 07:20 PM
  #1  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: anderson, sc
Posts: 18,944
Received 1,311 Likes on 751 Posts
Default Lamar Jackson/Ravens

People thought I was crazy when I said this young man would be a good NFL QB IF he could stay healthy


At this point Ravens look almost unbeatable
Likes:
Old 12-12-2019, 07:25 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: St Augustine, FL
Posts: 159
Received 359 Likes on 238 Posts
Default

Just passed single season rushing for quarterback.

he's unreal, snappin' ankles and his throws are tight. They look unstoppable.
Likes:
Old 12-12-2019, 07:34 PM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 10,684
Received 2,882 Likes on 1,523 Posts
Default

I am a Ravens fan. Went to their first game at memorial stadium when I was 9 or 10. Been to somewhere between 50-100 games.

I still am not sure what I am seeing. This year's team is SO different from anything the Ravens have ever been that I don't know what to believe. We usually rely on great defense and special teams, a good rb, and a game management passing game. Last year, Lamar was good for 3 fumbles a game and took serious hits. This year he is mostly getting out of bounds or taking glancing hits and not fumbling.

Also, I think if he gets an actual injury it will be in the pocket passing, or a non contact. People keep saying "he will have a short career" and there is nothing in his history that says that. You are just basing him off other people who try to compare him to people who just weren't as good.

I think everyone has a plan for him they think will work, but he may (and I say this tentatively) just be so damn athletic that the plan can be great, but it just doesn't work. I think the key to beating him is a sloppy field and high wind, not necessarily the defense.

I thought we would go 10-6 before the season. It isn't always pretty, but the team finds a way to make the crucial plays that decide the games. Not to be overlooked is our defensive overhaul in October. Our defense sucked. We cut a bunch of guys and signed a bunch of guys off couches. We signed specialists and use them in their specialty, whereas other teams were trying to use them every down and their performance sucked.

As I started, I don't know if this will hold up, but it sure is a fun ride for now.
Old 12-12-2019, 09:22 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin
Posts: 427
Received 143 Likes on 93 Posts
Default

He is amazing.
Old 12-13-2019, 03:48 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Fort Liquordale
Posts: 384
Likes: 0
Received 168 Likes on 98 Posts
Default

I wanted the fins to draft him.
Old 12-13-2019, 05:46 AM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 4,758
Received 1,063 Likes on 566 Posts
Default

Really hope he doesn’t end up like RGIII.

He looks to be a bit more stout.

.
Old 12-13-2019, 06:46 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: The Great Sanctuary State of New Jersey
Posts: 2,451
Received 2,467 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Default

They all get hurt especially when they play the way he does. I think he runs too much and when not if he get hurt, I want to see how he comes back from the injury. That being said, he is something to watch.
Likes:
Old 12-13-2019, 12:25 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cape Fear, NC
Posts: 11,785
Received 2,613 Likes on 1,615 Posts
Default

Yeah, he’ll be hurt, just the nature of running qb’s.

That said, I definitely wouldn’t have risked injury with him against the sorry ass jets. Even RG might could beat them.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:36 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: WPB, Fl.
Posts: 10,849
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,180 Posts
Default

They played him to keep home field. Smart.

A QB w a 4.36 40 time.

You can't teach this or catch this.

I hope he stays healthy. He is fun to watch.
Likes:
Old 12-13-2019, 02:04 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 120
Received 201 Likes on 95 Posts
Default

Lamar is one helluva QB and seems like a real nice kid. Good luck to him.
Old 12-13-2019, 02:08 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 10,684
Received 2,882 Likes on 1,523 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Bridgeman53 View Post
Lamar is a one helluva QB and seems like a real nice kid. Good luck to him.
Really glad he isn't a jerk. In fact he is super shy. He hired someone to help him get more comfortable with interviews and knowing he was going to have to speak to the press. It is also why in most interviews Ingram is with him and does most of the talking.

A couple weeks ago he saw some people wearing Louisville jerseys. He was driving out of the stadium. It was a family who came from Kentucky to watch him play. He stopped his car, got out, talked to them for a bit and signed all their jerseys.

People want a high profile QB to be an 'entertainer' off the field, and that just isn't him.
Old 12-13-2019, 07:43 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 378
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
Default

He is this seasons Mahommes. His ability to run is great. But as others have noted eventually that can lead to injury. I think Mahommes is still a better passer than he is.
Time will tell if either one of them makes it as long as Brees, Rodgers or Brady.
Likes:
Old 12-14-2019, 07:04 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: WPB, Fl.
Posts: 10,849
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,180 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by shiprec13 View Post
He is this seasons Mahommes. His ability to run is great. But as others have noted eventually that can lead to injury. I think Mahommes is still a better passer than he is.
Time will tell if either one of them makes it as long as Brees, Rodgers or Brady.
I wonder how much knee braces would slow him down.?

I`m sure it has saved Brady many times.

I have not seen much of LJ yet, but I have seen him miss some throws.

His X factor makes it quite the challenge to scheme.

The Pats O line will take them nowhere.
Old 12-14-2019, 07:18 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 10,684
Received 2,882 Likes on 1,523 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gofastsandman View Post
I wonder how much knee braces would slow him down.?

I`m sure it has saved Brady many times.

I have not seen much of LJ yet, but I have seen him miss some throws.

His X factor makes it quite the challenge to scheme.

The Pats O line will take them nowhere.
When he misses it is usually bad so it stands out, however, he tends to make the passes that matter. His completion % is surprisingly above Rivers, Dak, Mahomes, and Rodgers, Brady and others.

Watching every game he is developing. Pass plays he hangs in longer and progresses through a few reads before deciding to take off. Last year it was if the first option wasn't there, run.

When you can control the clock and average 202 yards rushing per game, you don't need to pass a ton.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, him to have an awful game, or one where he needs to throw the ball 40 times to win, but that hasn't happened yet.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:03 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: WPB, Fl.
Posts: 10,849
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,180 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TorFed View Post
When he misses it is usually bad so it stands out, however, he tends to make the passes that matter. His completion % is surprisingly above Rivers, Dak, Mahomes, and Rodgers, Brady and others.

Watching every game he is developing. Pass plays he hangs in longer and progresses through a few reads before deciding to take off. Last year it was if the first option wasn't there, run.

When you can control the clock and average 202 yards rushing per game, you don't need to pass a ton.

I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, him to have an awful game, or one where he needs to throw the ball 40 times to win, but that hasn't happened yet.
I really wanted to watch the game last week but of course they showed the Mia NY game here. Pass.
Saw some on NFL NW.

What is his history? Was he always a running QB or did he have history at RB?
His instincts and moves are making some good pros look lost.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:58 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 10,684
Received 2,882 Likes on 1,523 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gofastsandman View Post
I really wanted to watch the game last week but of course they showed the Mia NY game here. Pass.
Saw some on NFL NW.

What is his history? Was he always a running QB or did he have history at RB?
His instincts and moves are making some good pros look lost.
Always a QB and won the Heisman at Louisville. Youngest winner ever, I believe.

NFL scouts and coaches said he could never be a QB in the NFL and wanted him to work out as a WR in the combine. He declined and said he would play as QB in the NFL.

Last year Flacco got hurt and he was thrown into the fire. Made some amazing plays, made a lot of mistakes (fumbles, easy passes missed), and took a lot of big hits, but won on a very limited playbook. This offseason spent it all working on playbook and correcting some of his accuracy issues. This year his plays that were amazing and sporadic last year are becoming more regular. Passing has gotten much better. He has a way to complete a lot of tough throws at strange arm angles, some almost underhand, to thread the ball around defenders in his face. He also spent a lot of the offseason learning and training himself to go for the sidelines or slide and to not take big hits. Watching him, he almost has the ability to will his team to a first down at times when needed. Sounds insane, but it will be 4th and 6, and he will run it for 12 yards. He doesn't panic, and when he gets mad/frustrated, he doesn't make a stupid play as a result, he tends to make an amazing play.

Defenses plan for him, and think they have the situation in hand, then when it comes to the field, they all agree he is much faster than they expected and more athletic. Will someone crack the code? Maybe. Will he get injured and lose his mobility? Possibly. Until then, even when he has "bad games" the team still wins.

To give an idea of development from last season to this, pre-season his odds for MVP were +10,000

Without good running backs though, he would be screwed. He will always need a good RB so the defense has to honor them. He has great TE's, a very good O-line and average at best receivers, though Hollywood could develop well.

As for the "running QB" I would call him a QB that can run. On pass plays the difference is if he makes his reads and nothing is there he doesn't have to throw the ball away, he can run with it. Plenty of games he has run 5 or fewer times. 388 passing attempts to 512 rushing plays. 43/57 pass to run ratio. Higher yards per pass attempt than Brees, Rodgers, Ryan.

Last edited by TorFed; 12-14-2019 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:31 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: WPB, Fl.
Posts: 10,849
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,180 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by TorFed View Post
Always a QB and won the Heisman at Louisville. Youngest winner ever, I believe.

NFL scouts and coaches said he could never be a QB in the NFL and wanted him to work out as a WR in the combine. He declined and said he would play as QB in the NFL.

Last year Flacco got hurt and he was thrown into the fire. Made some amazing plays, made a lot of mistakes (fumbles, easy passes missed), and took a lot of big hits, but won on a very limited playbook. This offseason spent it all working on playbook and correcting some of his accuracy issues. This year his plays that were amazing and sporadic last year are becoming more regular. Passing has gotten much better. He has a way to complete a lot of tough throws at strange arm angles, some almost underhand, to thread the ball around defenders in his face. He also spent a lot of the offseason learning and training himself to go for the sidelines or slide and to not take big hits. Watching him, he almost has the ability to will his team to a first down at times when needed. Sounds insane, but it will be 4th and 6, and he will run it for 12 yards. He doesn't panic, and when he gets mad/frustrated, he doesn't make a stupid play as a result, he tends to make an amazing play.

Defenses plan for him, and think they have the situation in hand, then when it comes to the field, they all agree he is much faster than they expected and more athletic. Will someone crack the code? Maybe. Will he get injured and lose his mobility? Possibly. Until then, even when he has "bad games" the team still wins.

To give an idea of development from last season to this, pre-season his odds for MVP were +10,000

Without good running backs though, he would be screwed. He will always need a good RB so the defense has to honor them. He has great TE's, a very good O-line and average at best receivers, though Hollywood could develop well.

As for the "running QB" I would call him a QB that can run. On pass plays the difference is if he makes his reads and nothing is there he doesn't have to throw the ball away, he can run with it. Plenty of games he has run 5 or fewer times. 388 passing attempts to 512 rushing plays. 43/57 pass to run ratio. Higher yards per pass attempt than Brees, Rodgers, Ryan.
Thanks.

Seems like a nice young man as well.

Old 12-14-2019, 10:58 AM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Lewes, DE
Posts: 10,684
Received 2,882 Likes on 1,523 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gofastsandman View Post
Thanks.

Seems like a nice young man as well.
Seems to be. Is very shy, so I am not sure how much he will be a big face in community charity etc..., but is always overly polite to anyone I know who has run into him/any stories in the press etc...
Old 12-14-2019, 11:31 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,783
Likes: 0
Received 458 Likes on 296 Posts
Default

Whenever Lamar is interviewed he spends all the time complimenting the other players on the team. His humility is as strong as his athletic skills.
He is a leader by example and attitude and that has made this Ravens team successful, fun to watch, and focused.

Not saying they won't lose at some point, but they will not play down to an opponent or lose focus.
I also agree he has done a great job of using the sidelines much better. There are quite a few runs where he is never touched. Some of that is also attributable to great downfield blocking by receivers and tight ends.
Old 12-14-2019, 01:51 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,916
Received 1,453 Likes on 780 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by gofastsandman View Post
I really wanted to watch the game last week but of course they showed the Mia NY game here. Pass.
Saw some on NFL NW.

What is his history? Was he always a running QB or did he have history at RB?
His instincts and moves are making some good pros look lost.
He played in an NFL style offense at Louisville under Bobby Petrino.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.