Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > SportFishing and Charters Forum
Reload this Page >

Anyone run a cigar weight directly behind a lure (lure with 6' leader)?

Notices
Like Tree5Likes

Anyone run a cigar weight directly behind a lure (lure with 6' leader)?

Old 04-04-2019, 04:43 AM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 517
Default Anyone run a cigar weight directly behind a lure (lure with 6' leader)?

On rough days fishing alone I could get out an extra "deeper" line this way, I prefer not hand lining a 30+' leader alone. I mean afterall people do paint their lead so they don't get hit, so I assume it still work be at least 50%

EDIT -- SORRY!! I meant directly in front of it (so basically just no shock leader is what I am asking)

Last edited by taymag; 04-04-2019 at 10:17 AM.
taymag is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 09:56 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,681
Default

You expecting the fish to bite the weight?
bigfishhooker is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 09:59 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The Country
Posts: 1,095
Default

It won’t work. The lure is the kite tail for the sinker. If you troll the sinker behind it will hang down, flop around, and spin.

As as a solo fisherman I’ve played around with the distance between weight and lure for your stated purpose. I’ve found no decrease in catch rate down to 15’ of separation. Closer than that the catch rate falls off pretty quick. To keep the “shock leader” aspect the same I use 130# mainline instead of 200# or 300# leader material. Mainline is softer and has a lot more stretch.
Lone Ono is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 10:09 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,462
Default

Behind or in front of?

In front of absolutely. Put the weight on your leader and use a rubber band to hold it in place. Remove the rubber band when the fish gets close and the weight will fall on down.

10:00 in this video

Last edited by N2theblue; 04-04-2019 at 10:19 AM.
N2theblue is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 10:17 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 517
Default

SORRY!! I meant directly in front of it (so basically just no shock leader is what I am asking)
taymag is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 10:18 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11,682
Default

Just snap it on your line and snap the lure on behind it. Use a shorter leader so you can get it close enough to the boat. If you're trolling at regular speed you don't need stretch because you have drag. Shock leaders are for high speed trolling because you have to use so much drag to keep your line from going out.

Just make sure you keep your line tight because the weight can help them get off if you don't
VanW is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 12:56 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,681
Default

Originally Posted by N2theblue View Post
Behind or in front of?

In front of absolutely. Put the weight on your leader and use a rubber band to hold it in place. Remove the rubber band when the fish gets close and the weight will fall on down.

10:00 in this video
https://youtu.be/RPeptL1lagY

better keep the line especially tight.....that weight slips down by the hook and it will help it dislodge with any head shaking at all
bigfishhooker is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 01:11 PM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: St. Simons Island
Posts: 2,945
Default

I knew a guy who would use 3 8oz trolling sinkers covered with bulb squids about 20 inches apart and then put his 16oz wahoo lure about 6ft behind them - kind of like a heavyweight daisy chain. Seemed to work and he caught fish.
SEATOAD is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 01:28 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,462
Default

Originally Posted by bigfishhooker View Post



better keep the line especially tight.....that weight slips down by the hook and it will help it dislodge with any head shaking at all
Yeah. Works for Brant though.
N2theblue is offline  
Old 04-04-2019, 09:20 PM
  #10  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location:
Posts: 312
Default

Fishing solo offshore is breaking a cardinal rule...No different than diving w/o someone on the boat...I remember reading on the FS forum about 15 yrs ago of a solo wahoo fisherman in the NE section who was never found....CG found his boat a couple days later off NC...Rods were in the holders and lures were ready to be deployed...throttle was in gear and boat was out of gas...Just a sad story that could of been prevented by having a partner onboard.
Wahooking is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 12:08 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The Country
Posts: 1,095
Default

Yes, but was the kill switch disengaged, his life jacket missing and his EPIRB not responded to? Had he filed a float plan with someone onshore and sent a text when he reached the pre-set waypoints?

Not trying to knock anyone but there’s a difference between sad and stupid.

A man I knew went missing in the GOM. Same thing, boat was found later with the ignition on, in gear and out of fuel. The one time I had gone out “fishing” with him he started his day with a PITCHER of martinis.

Last edited by Lone Ono; 04-05-2019 at 12:15 AM.
Lone Ono is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 01:49 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Delray Beach, FL
Posts: 517
Default

Originally Posted by Wahooking View Post
Fishing solo offshore is breaking a cardinal rule...No different than diving w/o someone on the boat...I remember reading on the FS forum about 15 yrs ago of a solo wahoo fisherman in the NE section who was never found....CG found his boat a couple days later off NC...Rods were in the holders and lures were ready to be deployed...throttle was in gear and boat was out of gas...Just a sad story that could of been prevented by having a partner onboard.
I love hanging out with friends and family on the boat but there's something great about a solo fishing trip. I wear a kill switch and a life jacket / VHF / PLB and here in palm beach if we have to go solo there's great fishing basically within swimming distance of shore
Frog Fur likes this.
taymag is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 03:23 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 485
Default

Originally Posted by Wahooking View Post
Fishing solo offshore is breaking a cardinal rule...No different than diving w/o someone on the boat...I remember reading on the FS forum about 15 yrs ago of a solo wahoo fisherman in the NE section who was never found....CG found his boat a couple days later off NC...Rods were in the holders and lures were ready to be deployed...throttle was in gear and boat was out of gas...Just a sad story that could of been prevented by having a partner onboard.
I agree I went one time solo for bluefin & did get one around 100# but did not enjoy myself. couldn't get going overboard out of my head just imagine somehow going over & watching your boat troll off @ 7 knots
Timex is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 07:51 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: ditch, boynton
Posts: 370
Default

Originally Posted by taymag View Post
I love hanging out with friends and family on the boat but there's something great about a solo fishing trip. I wear a kill switch and a life jacket / VHF / PLB and here in palm beach if we have to go solo there's great fishing basically within swimming distance of shore
same here.
flfJack is offline  
Old 04-05-2019, 08:56 PM
  #15  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location:
Posts: 312
Default

Originally Posted by Lone Ono View Post
Yes, but was the kill switch disengaged, his life jacket missing and his EPIRB not responded to? Had he filed a float plan with someone onshore and sent a text when he reached the pre-set waypoints?

Not trying to knock anyone but there’s a difference between sad and stupid.
I would trust a partner on the boat over any tech or safety device...but thats me.

I wish you could read the story but FS lost its archives many moons ago..If my memory serves me correctly, he was supposed to be 60 miles offshore out of Jax..His brother was supposed to meet him at the ramp by dark..When he didnt show, CG was alerted...I believe there was an onboard epirb, but not on his person...this was 15 or 20 yrs ago and affordability of tech was nowhere near what it is now...Not sure if 1st gen. spot was even on the market back then...No one knows if he had a vest but dont think it would of mattered..It took 3 days for the helo to find the boat...no kill switch lanyard, which could of potentially saved him...but if he was knocked out or had a seizure and went overboard, would a kill switch matter??? No one will ever know.

All Im saying is Ive seen/heard more "accidents" HS Wahoo fishing than just about any other type of fishing....Not only are you dealing with razor sharp "slice you to the bone" teeth and gaffs, you are dealing with HS gear and tactics that really require a crew.
Gone Nuts likes this.

Last edited by Wahooking; 04-06-2019 at 09:21 AM.
Wahooking is offline  
Old 04-08-2019, 12:09 AM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: The Country
Posts: 1,095
Default

My wahoo are 1/4 mile from shore. Not saying nothing can go wrong, but everything can go wrong with another person on the boat as well. I enjoy my solo runs, and crewed runs. I run much higher risk on crewed runs for wahoo because I’m in the hunt for multiples. Solo runs have a higher safety level and a much more laid back attitude.

Everybody has a different level of risk aversion. Some smoke, some don’t. Some drink, some don’t. Some ride super bikes, some don’t. Some fish alone, some don’t.
Lone Ono is offline  
Old 04-08-2019, 08:28 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Costa Rica and Sardinia (Italy)
Posts: 2,141
Default

Use a wind-on cigar weight at least 30ft before the actual bait/lure.
i am not sure if they are called in US, however those are working fine to sink bait/lure while trolling faster.


ChrigelKarrer is offline  
Old 04-08-2019, 10:02 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Destin, FL
Posts: 463
Default

Originally Posted by ChrigelKarrer View Post
Use a wind-on cigar weight at least 30ft before the actual bait/lure.
i am not sure if they are called in US, however those are working fine to sink bait/lure while trolling faster.


C., I just spent a few minutes looking for the trolling weight in the top photo, with no luck. I would like to give that a try.

Could you please post up info on where I could order a parcel of those things ?

Thanks man, T.


trejsic.mejsic is offline  
Old 04-08-2019, 11:26 AM
  #19  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Costa Rica and Sardinia (Italy)
Posts: 2,141
Default

Good question, they are weights we use in Italy and they are italian made.
But here in Costa Rica the upper one is available as well, but no name on it.
You may insist in google to search further to figuer out how they are called in US, Google Image is helful for finding things you don't know the name.
Chris

I was just doing a quick search for trolling weight and this popped up: https://www.tackledirect.com/c-h-ch-...ng-weight.html
Not the same but still similar, putting a right sized vinyl lure over it will hide it well.

Chris

Last edited by ChrigelKarrer; 04-08-2019 at 11:34 AM.
ChrigelKarrer is offline  
Old 04-08-2019, 02:50 PM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Destin, FL
Posts: 463
Default

Originally Posted by ChrigelKarrer View Post

I was just doing a quick search for trolling weight and this popped up: https://www.tackledirect.com/c-h-ch-...ng-weight.html
Not the same but still similar, putting a right sized vinyl lure over it will hide it well.

Chris
Thank you sir, for the quick response.

The ones from TackleDirect, I already have a mob of those - thanks; Just looking to try something "new and improved".

If you ever find a website I can order from, why, just let me know.

Cheers, T.

trejsic.mejsic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread