Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > SportFishing and Charters Forum
Reload this Page >

Felony charges for cheating in Texas bass fishing tourny

Notices
Like Tree18Likes

Felony charges for cheating in Texas bass fishing tourny

Old 03-14-2019, 01:37 PM
  #1  
C3D
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1,008
Default Felony charges for cheating in Texas bass fishing tourny


A fisherman in Texas has been indicted by a grand jury in Wood County after allegedly trimming a bass’ tail to meet weigh-in requirements in September’s McDonald Big Bass Splash at Lake Fork, according to the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.



https://nypost.com/2019/03/14/fisher...ss-tournament/
C3D is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 01:41 PM
  #2  
mgd
Senior Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Florida
Posts: 612
Default

Dang man...warn a guy that when u click on that 1st link u get a full face of the guy!!!!!!!!!!!!
mgd is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 01:47 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 129
Default

25 grand bond? I bet people had smaller bonds if they killed somebody.
wojtek is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 01:55 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 310
Default

Absolutely ridiculous. Waste of resources. Fine the guy and be done with it.
Joe Lane is online now  
Old 03-14-2019, 01:56 PM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 833
Default

Originally Posted by wojtek View Post
25 grand bond? I bet people had smaller bonds if they killed somebody.
Yup, they take bass tournaments pretty serious down here.
tmd11111 is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 02:49 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,206
Default

Originally Posted by Joe Lane View Post
Absolutely ridiculous. Waste of resources. Fine the guy and be done with it.
It's grand theft. How do you like to get ripped off/ stolen from?

I suppose if he stole thousands from your home it would be a waste of resources.

Give me a break! He is just another piece of shit that probably would steal anything he could get his hands on, to include your boat, money or WTF ever.

YEA, JUST FINE HIM! BS!
GaryDoug likes this.
20biminitwist is online now  
Old 03-14-2019, 03:53 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 846
Default

Originally Posted by 20biminitwist View Post
It's grand theft. How do you like to get ripped off/ stolen from?

I suppose if he stole thousands from your home it would be a waste of resources.

Give me a break! He is just another piece of shit that probably would steal anything he could get his hands on, to include your boat, money or WTF ever.

YEA, JUST FINE HIM! BS!
Ridiculous. It's a civil matter. What's next, go after granny down at the bingo hall for claiming she had N27 to win the basket of cheer?
ronp364 is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 04:15 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 255
Default

Originally Posted by ronp364 View Post
Ridiculous. It's a civil matter. What's next, go after granny down at the bingo hall for claiming she had N27 to win the basket of cheer?

how much was the purse? Dude is probably stealing thousands of dollars from the tournament, why shouldn’t the police be involved?
bluescholar is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 04:26 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 363
Default

Around here I would imagine that you would just get disqualified from the tourney. Don’t condone cheating at all but this seems kinda harsh.
Rferrell is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 04:30 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 846
Default

Originally Posted by bluescholar View Post



how much was the purse? Dude is probably stealing thousands of dollars from the tournament, why shouldn’t the police be involved?
Were police involved when the boat was disqualified in the White Marlin Open last year? Close to $3M in prize money in that one, and an entrant was disqualified for breaking a rule and apparently lied in a polygraph about it. Hint, no they were not.

When cops have caught all the rapists and robbers, they might have time for this.

It's not a question of whether anyone is "stealing money". It's that a bunch of private citizens get together and pool their money so that according to certain rules, one of them can walk away with it. Pulling a gun on everyone else and running off with the money is certainly a crime. Claiming you won when you cut a corner, not so much.
kmoose, sydngoose, JoseG and 3 others like this.
ronp364 is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 04:47 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 255
Default

Originally Posted by ronp364 View Post
Were police involved when the boat was disqualified in the White Marlin Open last year? Close to $3M in prize money in that one, and an entrant was disqualified for breaking a rule and apparently lied in a polygraph about it. Hint, no they were not.

When cops have caught all the rapists and robbers, they might have time for this.

It's not a question of whether anyone is "stealing money". It's that a bunch of private citizens get together and pool their money so that according to certain rules, one of them can walk away with it. Pulling a gun on everyone else and running off with the money is certainly a crime. Claiming you won when you cut a corner, not so much.
I don’t know, but what is the difference between stealing $3 million from a bank or committing fraud and stealing $3 million from a bank account or $3 million from a fishing tournament?
20biminitwist likes this.
bluescholar is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 07:32 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,206
Default

Originally Posted by bluescholar View Post


I don’t know, but what is the difference between stealing $3 million from a bank or committing fraud and stealing $3 million from a bank account or $3 million from a fishing tournament?
Yep!
Let them walk, nobody got hurt!

This is exactly what's wrong with this country.
Theft is Theft.

Steal from me without breaking in my truck or my home your still stealing from me and I work for my stuff whether a fishing tournament or digging a ditch. Yea, poach my property that I worked my life for to have a place to hunt. Steal my treestands, my 4 Wheeler's or anything else not nailed down. There is no such thing as a victimless crime.

Spend several grand on anything and let some one snake you out of it you might feel a little different.

As for the WMO the police were not involved but the courts were. It just didn't require the police to get them to show in civil court.

Almost forgot.

Altering a fish in Florida is a criminal misdemeanor that can bring several charges. It's not a civil crime! I hope Texas is the same!

Last edited by 20biminitwist; 03-14-2019 at 07:37 PM.
20biminitwist is online now  
Old 03-14-2019, 08:16 PM
  #13  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 26
Default

I hope they nail his ass. Think of the other competitors who spent money to enter the tournament, took time off work, paid for gas, food, hotels, lures and a hundred other things. Someone cheating to win, what those people paid to have a shot at, is exactly the same as stealing.
7hetexsan is offline  
Old 03-14-2019, 08:27 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Heart of Dixie
Posts: 1,949
Default

How about a good old fashioned tar and feathering by the contestants and the police catch a criminal that is really a menace to society. It’s fishing, it’s also the reason I don’t waste my time tourney fishing, so I don’t have to deal with the nitwits on both ends of the spectrum.
tbaxl is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 04:30 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 704
Default

Imagine trying to get prison cred with that arrest.
Sam Salmon, bigjohnnc and cwhite6 like this.
R Days is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 06:20 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pompano Beach, FL
Posts: 11,931
Default

Originally Posted by ronp364 View Post
Ridiculous. It's a civil matter. What's next, go after granny down at the bingo hall for claiming she had N27 to win the basket of cheer?
BS!!......Everyone knows that 27 will be in the I column!
Jus Teasin is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 07:04 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 846
Default

Originally Posted by 20biminitwist View Post
Yep!
Let them walk, nobody got hurt!

This is exactly what's wrong with this country.
Theft is Theft.

Steal from me without breaking in my truck or my home your still stealing from me and I work for my stuff whether a fishing tournament or digging a ditch. Yea, poach my property that I worked my life for to have a place to hunt. Steal my treestands, my 4 Wheeler's or anything else not nailed down. There is no such thing as a victimless crime.

Spend several grand on anything and let some one snake you out of it you might feel a little different.

As for the WMO the police were not involved but the courts were. It just didn't require the police to get them to show in civil court.

Almost forgot.

Altering a fish in Florida is a criminal misdemeanor that can bring several charges. It's not a civil crime! I hope Texas is the same!
The courts were involved because the guy who was denied the prize on a technicality sued. It's hardly the same thing as this.

As far as the guy altering the fish to appear legal, ooh, he kept an illegal fish. What's that, a $500 fine? People keep illegal fish every day. Most alter them by cleaning and eating them before anyone sees.

The attempted fraud was discovered, he didn't get the $, move on. It's a waste of public resources and should be laughed out of court.

If someone was potentially able to defraud people of thousands of dollars by pulling out a pair of scissors and snipping at a dead hunk of food, it speaks to the stupidity of the contest and its entrants. Personally I wouldn't risk $5 on a contest where I didn't know all the other players and the whole thing depended on some level of the honor system. I doubt there has EVER been a fishing tournament anywhere that didn't have some level of cheating - and it seems everyone involved in them knows this, otherwise why would there be agreements about using lie detectors?

ronp364 is offline  
Old 03-15-2019, 07:09 AM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Land O Lakes
Posts: 543
Default

They should just let him go.... after they clip a few inches off him. (size ratio thing)
Fresh2Salty is online now  
Old 03-15-2019, 07:33 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 5,206
Default

Originally Posted by ronp364 View Post
The courts were involved because the guy who was denied the prize on a technicality sued. It's hardly the same thing as this.

As far as the guy altering the fish to appear legal, ooh, he kept an illegal fish. What's that, a $500 fine? People keep illegal fish every day. Most alter them by cleaning and eating them before anyone sees.

The attempted fraud was discovered, he didn't get the $, move on. It's a waste of public resources and should be laughed out of court.

If someone was potentially able to defraud people of thousands of dollars by pulling out a pair of scissors and snipping at a dead hunk of food, it speaks to the stupidity of the contest and its entrants. Personally I wouldn't risk $5 on a contest where I didn't know all the other players and the whole thing depended on some level of the honor system. I doubt there has EVER been a fishing tournament anywhere that didn't have some level of cheating - and it seems everyone involved in them knows this, otherwise why would there be agreements about using lie detectors?


Fraud goes on every day and fraudulent acts can and have ruined peoples lives. Not the case here to that extreme but it's the act of fraud attempted that brought the charges. Fraud is a white collar crime per say but there are going to be victims.

When you now have the intent that this guy had to manipulate this fish that is illegal to purposely defraud others of money he is a piece of shit. Remember, he not only broke tournament rules he broke the law as well in his scheme.

"Ridiculous. It's a civil matter. What's next, go after granny down at the bingo hall for claiming she had N27 to win the basket of cheer?"

No, but granny could be the old lady that gets swindled by a fraudulent act that takes her life savings. It happens everyday to the elderly by the same piece of shit people like this guy.

I'm always amazed at what people think is acceptable as long as it doesn't effect them.
20biminitwist is online now  
Old 03-15-2019, 07:38 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Lafayette, LA
Posts: 353
Default

Competitive fishing is a form of gambling and is thereby under Federal gaming laws. I'm sure the penalties are pretty hefty for cheating casinos and lotteries.
CNBarron is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread