Notices

Fishing in Maui in late April

Old 02-06-2019, 03:01 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kinston, North Carolina
Posts: 175
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fishing in Maui in late April

Heading to Maui, Hawaii in late April and wanted to see if someone could recommend a good charter for some offshore or inshore fishing. Will be staying at the Sheraton Maui Resort for the duration of our stay. Any information or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-06-2019, 04:59 PM
  #2  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Mamaroneck, New York
Posts: 2,045
Received 863 Likes on 422 Posts
Default

Be aware that many, if not most of the captains in Hawaii will kill the marlin they catch and sell the marlin. If you like to release marlin and other billfish -- like spearfish-- be sure to have an understanding with the captain when you are booking the trip as to what's going to happen to the fish. I personally find it despicable to kill a marlin or a spearfish unless it's a big tournament and you are in the running to win. In Hawaii, the charter boats kill marlin daily. Now there are lots of blue marlin in Hawaiian waters and marlin is a traditional Hawaiian fish food, but the economic value of a released marlin is about a zillion times greater than a dead one sold for food. Plus, they don't taste real good. Just something to think about before you go fight the most spectacular gamefish in the ocean.
Old 02-06-2019, 09:44 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Virginia Beach, Va
Posts: 5,695
Received 368 Likes on 258 Posts
Default

You'll have two harbors to fish from. The Sheraton is north of Lahaina which is the closest one to the hotel. A couple of the boats that have been there a while are Finest Kind, Start Me Up and Hinatea Sport. Rascal fishes out of Maalaea Harbor further south. Maalaea is also next to the aquarium. I would stick to Lahaina. In Lahaina, the Maui Theater has a great local musical, "Ulalena". My wife and I loved it. In addition, if you plan to do the "Road to Hana", plan on a full day and rent a Jeep so you can do the full drive around the volcano Haleakala. Regular vehicles are not allowed around the back of the volcano. One of the things we really enjoyed was zip lining the eucalyptus forest. If you snorkel, you can rent masks and stuff you need. There's a great spot you can drive to and you don't have to pay for a boat to take you there. it at 7066-7132 Makena Road, Kihei. Just drive up and wade in. Have a great time. There's plenty to do there.
Likes:
Old 02-07-2019, 06:11 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 2,224
Received 711 Likes on 404 Posts
Default

Hawaii Fishing

Hawaii (Lanai/Maui) Charter Recommendation

Hawaii Fishing

There are plenty more, just use the search.

Done the Maui thing a couple of times and not impressed with the fleet and fishing there. Also, you probably won't get to keep what you catch because the mates will sell the fish. If you do decide to stay around Maui and fish, know up front what the plan is for the catch, especially if you're wanting to keep something to prepare fresh.

My recommendation is to hop over to Kona for a day. Captain Russ Nitta and his boat the Lepika. Kona Fishing Charter Rates and Reservations
Old 02-07-2019, 07:45 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kinston, North Carolina
Posts: 175
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

jillybird I totally agree with you on not wanting to kill a Marlin and will definitely make that clear if / when I book a trip. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:47 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kinston, North Carolina
Posts: 175
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lone Ono View Post
No such thing as inshore fishing.

Fly a puddle-jumper from the west Maui airport to Molokai and fish the Alyce C.
Lono Ono
Will look into this option. Thanks for your input.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:50 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kinston, North Carolina
Posts: 175
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Mud Runner View Post
You'll have two harbors to fish from. The Sheraton is north of Lahaina which is the closest one to the hotel. A couple of the boats that have been there a while are Finest Kind, Start Me Up and Hinatea Sport. Rascal fishes out of Maalaea Harbor further south. Maalaea is also next to the aquarium. I would stick to Lahaina. In Lahaina, the Maui Theater has a great local musical, "Ulalena". My wife and I loved it. In addition, if you plan to do the "Road to Hana", plan on a full day and rent a Jeep so you can do the full drive around the volcano Haleakala. Regular vehicles are not allowed around the back of the volcano. One of the things we really enjoyed was zip lining the eucalyptus forest. If you snorkel, you can rent masks and stuff you need. There's a great spot you can drive to and you don't have to pay for a boat to take you there. it at 7066-7132 Makena Road, Kihei. Just drive up and wade in. Have a great time. There's plenty to do there.

Mud Runner
Really appreciate your in dept response and will definitely look into your recommendations. Really like the aquarium option as well.
Old 02-07-2019, 07:54 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kinston, North Carolina
Posts: 175
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FishLife View Post
Hawaii Fishing

Hawaii (Lanai/Maui) Charter Recommendation

Hawaii Fishing

There are plenty more, just use the search.

Done the Maui thing a couple of times and not impressed with the fleet and fishing there. Also, you probably won't get to keep what you catch because the mates will sell the fish. If you do decide to stay around Maui and fish, know up front what the plan is for the catch, especially if you're wanting to keep something to prepare fresh.

My recommendation is to hop over to Kona for a day. Captain Russ Nitta and his boat the Lepika. Kona Fishing Charter Rates and Reservations
FishLife

Thanks for your recommendation I'm going to reach out to Captain Nitta and see what all's involved with hoping over to Kona and fishing with him for a day.
Old 02-07-2019, 08:57 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 1,111
Received 123 Likes on 85 Posts
Default

Not fishing related, but the Cool Cat Cafe in Lahaina has terrific burgers. Enjoy your trip!
Likes:
Old 02-07-2019, 10:57 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kinston, North Carolina
Posts: 175
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Lone Ono View Post
Goose,

You’ll be reasonably close to the west maui airport. You can make molokai or kona from there in the small prop planes. Much closer than the other airport and this is like a midwestern county airport. Show up :15 before your flight and go. Molokai is just a few minutes away by plane and the airport there is similar. Very small population on the island and very little fishing pressure.

if you have wimmens that don’t go out with you treat them to massage therapy from my GF. It’s a hell of a lot cheaper than letting them shop and they’ll be eternally grateful.
Lone Ono,

Do you have any idea what the cost would be to fly to Molokai and back to Maui? Just trying to see if it fits in my budget. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:00 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Kinston, North Carolina
Posts: 175
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by CC driver View Post
Not fishing related, but the Cool Cat Cafe in Lahaina has terrific burgers. Enjoy your trip!
CC driver,
Will put that on the to do list. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2019, 06:14 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 133
Likes: 0
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

I fish leeward Maui (private boat) most years mid-to-late April. The fishing is usually crap. Doesn't keep me from continuing to do it, but we've gone weeks without bites, and when we get them they are usually ono, sometimes mahimahi. I tell myself it is still the best bar in town.

Yeah, the charters will tend to go further and do better, but still. I don't know where all the kawakawa have gone. We used to do pretty well for those. Come to think of it, malolo have been scarce the last few years too.

I'm ranging pretty far afield here, but the more I think about it the more I think I should grab a flight to Molokai this year...

Also, a friend took a rental Mustang all the way around the island (to Hana on the north road, from Hana on the south road) in July 2017. The south road used to be bad, but is no longer.
Old 02-08-2019, 12:22 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: CANYON COUNTRY Los Angeles
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

I have a timeshare just North of Lahaina. Any time of year the fishing is just scratch. I ran into some locals fishing from shore with long rods, heavyweights, and some kinda local bait. They'd do a helicopter cast past the end of the reef, and fight local jacks on 9' rods. Seeing two bites a day was good fishing.
The road to Hana is a must do. You can buy an audio guide and follow it as you go. After the airport, you pass Momma"s Fish House, then come to the surfer area with big waves. Soon after you change climate to a tropical rain forest. The road is very narrow and twisty. Passing Hana, you come to the 7 falls. Then the climate changes from the lush tropical rain forest, to dry dead desert. It crosses washes and ends up in farm country on the leeward side of the volcano, but 40 miles closer to Lahaina than going back toward the airport. It's a long trip, so pack lunch and snacks. Fish is cheap in the grocery market, and I always buy some and cook my own dinners,
The #1 attraction on Maui is the beaches. It's a beautiful island, so enjoy your trip. Just don't expect much out of fishing there.
Old 02-09-2019, 09:49 PM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location:
Posts: 66
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Dockside69 View Post
I have a timeshare just North of Lahaina. Any time of year the fishing is just scratch. I ran into some locals fishing from shore with long rods, heavyweights, and some kinda local bait. They'd do a helicopter cast past the end of the reef, and fight local jacks on 9' rods. Seeing two bites a day was good fishing.
The road to Hana is a must do. You can buy an audio guide and follow it as you go. After the airport, you pass Momma"s Fish House, then come to the surfer area with big waves. Soon after you change climate to a tropical rain forest. The road is very narrow and twisty. Passing Hana, you come to the 7 falls. Then the climate changes from the lush tropical rain forest, to dry dead desert. It crosses washes and ends up in farm country on the leeward side of the volcano, but 40 miles closer to Lahaina than going back toward the airport. It's a long trip, so pack lunch and snacks. Fish is cheap in the grocery market, and I always buy some and cook my own dinners,
The #1 attraction on Maui is the beaches. It's a beautiful island, so enjoy your trip. Just don't expect much out of fishing there.
Good info.
Also- Iao valley and the flea market in Kahului are very good stops. Cheap and overlooked. There's a culture center on the road to the valley if i remember correctly.
Paia Fish Market is a good lunch spot and Momma's is a very good dinner spot.
Don't overlook the deli counters in the supamarkets, either!
If you want tourist type souvenirs, or chocolate get them at big drugstores, like Walls, maybe?
Old 02-09-2019, 10:34 PM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: West Coast
Posts: 72
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Kona

In Kona right now went out Wednesday with Captain Craig Hawkins had a exceptional Day of fishing considering the other boats around us except one another boat catching football size yellow fin tuna and skipjack it was almost every drop one of the three of us had a fish on highly recommend ! name of the is Charter is C. Hawk www.CHawkSeaService.com
# 808-640-4475
Plus reasonable price and was able to take all the fish we needed home for dinner several nights and of course pokey !
Old 02-09-2019, 10:41 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: CANYON COUNTRY Los Angeles
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default

From Lahaina, going NW, turn left onto Lower Honoapiilani Rd. The Kaanapali Beach club is on the left. About 1/4 mile on the right. Honokowai Okazuya & Deli, 3600 Lower Honoapiilani Rd Ste D, Lahaina, Maui, HI 96761-8985
It's owned and operated by a former top Island chef. Great meals at inexpensive prices. There are only a couple bar stools inside and two small patio tables outside. I often picked up and took it back to my nearby hotel. Some locals turned me on to it.

Snorkeling at Black Rock is great. Buy a bag of frozen peas and watch the plentiful fish go nuts.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.