Notices
Like Tree7Likes

NMFS Permit Shop

Old 01-07-2019, 09:53 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC
Posts: 39
Default NMFS Permit Shop

Going to rant for a minute. Went to get a HMS Permit for my new to me boat this week and entered all the information into the system. Put in my state registration number and now it pulls up the previous owner. Says to call customer service. You call customer service and guess what...shut down unit funding appropriations are settled. What an absolute crock. Makes me wonder why we even have to pay the money to get the permit. I am just a rec so I can imagine how frustrating this may be to someone whose lively hood depends on a federal permitting process.
bjp1990 is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 01:28 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Manchester, NH USA
Posts: 3,545
Default

LOL... that's what a shutdown is.

That being said, the application that manages the on line permitting process has some significant flaws and you just hit one of them. It tends to get locked in on the original record for an individual or boat. For example I cannot look up my permit under my name because it only finds the permit info for my old boat. I have to look it up via the permit number which is less convenient.
Door#3 is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 01:34 PM
  #3  
THT Sponsor Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Eastern Shore MD
Posts: 2,243
Default

Well since the permit shop is shutdown that means no one around to check permits so does that mean it's a free for all now.
JoseG likes this.
mouse4x4 is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 02:00 PM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Cape Cod
Posts: 685
Default

My permit still list my old boat from 4 years ago. Cant change the info of your boat online, and shut down or not, probably not gonna help much anyway !! I try every renewal to make the correction, and 4 years later, still same old boat reg.!!
ffiisshh0 is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 02:46 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,227
Default

Originally Posted by Door#3 View Post
LOL... that's what a shutdown is.

That being said, the application that manages the on line permitting process has some significant flaws and you just hit one of them. It tends to get locked in on the original record for an individual or boat. For example I cannot look up my permit under my name because it only finds the permit info for my old boat. I have to look it up via the permit number which is less convenient.
Same for me.
Gary999 is offline  
Old 01-07-2019, 05:17 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Fuquay Varina, NC
Posts: 39
Default

Originally Posted by ffiisshh0 View Post
My permit still list my old boat from 4 years ago. Cant change the info of your boat online, and shut down or not, probably not gonna help much anyway !! I try every renewal to make the correction, and 4 years later, still same old boat reg.!!
Have you ever been checked and have to show the old registration permit but with the new year? I was thinking of doing this since I am in a hard place with the government shutdown.
bjp1990 is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:39 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,462
Default

Lolol
N2theblue is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:48 AM
  #8  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Whiteville NC / Little River SC
Posts: 4,424
Default

Originally Posted by mouse4x4 View Post
Well since the permit shop is shutdown that means no one around to check permits so does that mean it's a free for all now.
The permit shop is not shut down online. You can go there and pay and print. No problems.
lumberman is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 08:50 AM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Star, MS
Posts: 748
Default

I'm in the same situation. It shows my old boat so I cant renew...
Twin Vee 26 is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 09:08 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 9,462
Default

Originally Posted by mouse4x4 View Post
Well since the permit shop is shutdown that means no one around to check permits so does that mean it's a free for all now.
Customer service is non-essential personnel. Enforcement is essential personnel.
cummins28 likes this.
N2theblue is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 09:27 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,029
Default

You should have the pleasure of renewing/transferring commercial permits under a moritorium, it’s mind numbing fun.
20biminitwist likes this.
Seasir is offline  
Old 01-08-2019, 09:35 AM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,227
Default

It is Pelosi's fault!
Gary999 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:34 AM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Star, MS
Posts: 748
Default

Just give the man his wall so I can get my permit
Twin Vee 26 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:58 AM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Carolina Beach/Charlotte/Lake Wylie
Posts: 1,338
Default

Originally Posted by lumberman View Post
The permit shop is not shut down online. You can go there and pay and print. No problems.

this is is how I renewed mine last week.
steve a59 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 11:59 AM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,165
Default

Originally Posted by Twin Vee 26 View Post
I'm in the same situation. It shows my old boat so I cant renew...
I am not positive but since the permit is by boat, not by individual, wouldnt that mean a NEW permit rather than renew?
sammythetuna is online now  
Old 01-09-2019, 12:00 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 7,227
Default

Originally Posted by sammythetuna View Post
I am not positive but since the permit is by boat, not by individual, wouldnt that mean a NEW permit rather than renew?
Bingo! Maybe....
Gary999 is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 03:45 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 3,165
Default

Originally Posted by Gary999 View Post
Bingo! Maybe....
it is why. I just renewed
sammythetuna is online now  
Old 01-09-2019, 03:57 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 191
Default

I'm having issues too. I just purchased a boat that has been sitting for a while. When I enter the information as the new owner, I get an error saying the boat already has a permit. I know this cannot be true as I'm the new owner and need to permit the boat in my name.
End Game is offline  
Old 01-09-2019, 04:05 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 247
Default

Same here.... We bought a new boat and because the Doc number already has a permit we can not get a new online one without a service person to reset there records or whatever it is they do. Looks like we will be fishing without a new one until they get all this worked out.
Hoytrb is online now  
Old 01-09-2019, 04:31 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Panama City FL
Posts: 568
Default

i have a captain trying to get his captain license paper work processed and have the same problem with no one being there to process the paper work
85okhai is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread