Notices
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bullshipper

light tackle conventional

Reply

Old 12-06-2018, 12:01 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Jamestown, VA
Posts: 596
Default light tackle conventional

Looking for options for my spadefish set-ups.

I've got the perfect action/geared set-up that I want, but I've been using these freshwater abu Garcia ambassadeur reels. They have the exact power/drag I am looking for, but the drags start to wear out and get less and less smooth. I oil them every trip too. I love them, but need something that lasts more than 1 season even after cleaning every trip.

I've got them paired with some 6' med ugly stiks. Drags set light as not to rip hooks out.

Ideas/suggestions for smaller conventional reels less than $150? Less than $100?? Ain't made of money. I will keep replacing with the same reels if I got to. They run about $70.

I like to use them trolling for Spanish as well.
TurdFerguson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 02:43 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 10,012
Default

If you keep buying $70. Reels, I expect you will continue getting $70. Performance from them.
some time ago I decided to pay for a premium reel and have not looked back since.
Trinidad, Talica, saltiga. I sold everything else. I should have done this years ago.
how’s that saying go,”too soon old and too late smart” ?
try a new generation saltiga 10 or 15. You’ll love it.
north coast is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 01:15 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Dirty Jersey
Posts: 714
Default

avet sx or avet sxj. IMHO, stop buying cheap gear.
luckybass is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 05:33 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Jamestown, VA
Posts: 596
Default

Originally Posted by north coast View Post
If you keep buying $70. Reels, I expect you will continue getting $70. Performance from them.
some time ago I decided to pay for a premium reel and have not looked back since.
Trinidad, Talica, saltiga. I sold everything else. I should have done this years ago.
how’s that saying go,”too soon old and too late smart” ?
try a new generation saltiga 10 or 15. You’ll love it.
Exactly, I'm just looking for something to match the specs that I like and have gotten comfortable using.

If it was just one rod, no-brainer. I'm talking about 3-4 more rods too.
TurdFerguson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:44 AM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: darkest depths of Brevard county and the tip of the [email protected]*k key West
Posts: 82
Default

What are you doing catching spadefish? Didn't realize anyone targeted them
MarlinBohner is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 07:50 AM
  #6  
MC
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: pompano Beach FL
Posts: 1,361
Default

Shimano TLD 15's for that budget. Either new or gently used well under that budget.

Heck I have a TLD 15 that's probably 25yrs old. Still going strong.
MC is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:35 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 623
Default

My first question is why conventional. Spades on 3-4K class spinners is my game. being able to cast a slip bobber has yielded a lot of fish for me.

penn fierce is decent and in your price range. Great for specks and school or stripers too. I have even killed a nice cobia on mine.
finnedfanatic is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:22 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Jamestown, VA
Posts: 596
Default

Originally Posted by finnedfanatic View Post
My first question is why conventional. Spades on 3-4K class spinners is my game. being able to cast a slip bobber has yielded a lot of fish for me.

penn fierce is decent and in your price range. Great for specks and school or stripers too. I have even killed a nice cobia on mine.
Most of the folks I take with me don't understand they can't reel when fish is pulling drag. Not multi-taskers. I have the drags set light, and I end up having to re-line spinners cuz they twist it so much. Even with braid.
TurdFerguson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:24 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Jamestown, VA
Posts: 596
Default

Originally Posted by MarlinBohner View Post
What are you doing catching spadefish? Didn't realize anyone targeted them
Probably my favorite thing to catch around here. The purpose for the light tackle and light drags is because the hooks rip out if you try to horse them in
TurdFerguson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:27 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Jamestown, VA
Posts: 596
Default

Originally Posted by MC View Post
Shimano TLD 15's for that budget. Either new or gently used well under that budget.

Heck I have a TLD 15 that's probably 25yrs old. Still going strong.
Yea I got a used 20 off ebay for a good deal and happy with it. Wasn't sure of the size for the 15
TurdFerguson is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 12:37 PM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Key West
Posts: 11,117
Default

Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
Yea I got a used 20 off ebay for a good deal and happy with it. Wasn't sure of the size for the 15
eh? maybe?

Daiwa STTLD30HSH Saltist Hyper Speed Lever Drag Reel
coores14 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 02:59 PM
  #12  
HTJ
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Baytown, TX
Posts: 8,931
Default

Shimano Charter Specials usually run $140 and are a genuine pleasure to use.

In the much cheaper category the Piscifun Chaos round baitcasters are very interesting, I want to get 2 or 3 in the largest size for shallow water (50' - 75') snapper fishing.
HTJ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 01:30 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: CA & San Carlos, Mx
Posts: 19,955
Default

The Diawa Sealine 20 and 30 6:1 x-sha's are a star drag jigging reel that can be found for around $110-125 with shipping. They have about 18 lbs of real smooth drag, weigh 15 oz and with their free floating adjustable spool will cast or drop faster and reel with lss effort than any lever drag imo. 3rd season on my first one, hard vertical jigging 3x per week, no service, no problemas, and its light weight makes it the rod I prefer over Maxels, Avet Jx's and Jigging Masters that are heavier, need constant service and cost 3-5x as much. The 20 holds about 200 mts of 50 braid, and I went down to 40 as I have more confidence in its smoother drag
Burgmane likes this.
Bullshipper is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 03:36 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Virginia Beach, VA
Posts: 212
Default

I like light spinning gear for spades but if I were going to use a conventional it would probably be an Abu Garcia Ambassadeur in a 5-6000 size. Probably not the reel of choice if you’re looking for double duty for spanish though.
Surfnski is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 11:16 AM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,551
Default

Just replace the drags instead of the entire reels. http://www.smoothdrag.com/price.html
N2theblue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2018, 10:48 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Apollo Beach, FL
Posts: 676
Default

Originally Posted by Bullshipper View Post
The Diawa Sealine 20 and 30 6:1 x-sha's are a star drag jigging reel that can be found for around $110-125 with shipping. They have about 18 lbs of real smooth drag, weigh 15 oz and with their free floating adjustable spool will cast or drop faster and reel with lss effort than any lever drag imo. 3rd season on my first one, hard vertical jigging 3x per week, no service, no problemas, and its light weight makes it the rod I prefer over Maxels, Avet Jx's and Jigging Masters that are heavier, need constant service and cost 3-5x as much. The 20 holds about 200 mts of 50 braid, and I went down to 40 as I have more confidence in its smoother drag
thats a helluva good answer
Burgmane is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 06:44 AM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: North Alabama
Posts: 626
Default

Take a look at the Fin Nor Primal 10, I have a 10 and a 12 that we use mangrove and red snapper fishing that have held up great and in your price range.

srmo.com Fin-Nor PRIMAL LEVER DRAG 10SZ HIGH SPEED
sea hoss is online now  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: