The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/index.php)
-   SportFishing and Charters Forum (https://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum-20/)
-   -   Daiwa SEABORG 1200MJ??? Anyone use it yet??? (https://www.thehulltruth.com/sportfishing-charters-forum/923327-daiwa-seaborg-1200mj-anyone-use-yet.html)

Capt. Fred 06-18-2018 03:37 AM

Anybody else had any luck?

Nickdee 06-18-2018 04:44 AM

Love to here from someone that caught a 200 + sword on one.

nnavarro@somersetacademy. 06-18-2018 05:33 PM

Not yet. Haven’t used it yet. Went out and caught 2 yesterday but not with the mj1200. Used the lp again because the 1200mj was not spooled yet. Last minute trip. I will get a sword on it this Wednesday or Saturday before the Bahamas trip this weekend. And then I’m going to go over and watch my dad put the hammer on some yellowfin tuna with it. I know it’s gpod for that

nnavarro@somersetacademy. 06-18-2018 05:35 PM

Btw FYI now she is spooled up .. holds 1650 yards of 65 jbraid. Confirmed in the line counter twice

Capt. Fred 06-19-2018 11:47 AM

Thanks Cap. I just ordered one. Should have it ready to go this weekend, if everybody's shipping information is accurate. I ordered the 65 jbraid too.

Capt. Fred 06-28-2018 04:10 AM

Anyone else have anything to report on their reels?

aoksales 06-28-2018 06:57 PM

Does this reel use the same power cord as the Tanacom Bull 1000

cp10415 06-28-2018 08:22 PM

No, the plug is larger.

Nickdee 06-29-2018 01:31 AM

Anyone get a bigger swordfish on one of the reels . Like to know what they think something 200 and up thanks

Coral Head 06-29-2018 02:57 AM


Originally Posted by aoksales (Post 11562162)
Does this reel use the same power cord as the Tanacom Bull 1000

No it uses the same power cord as the MP 3000 which is bigger than the Tanacom 1000.

aoksales 06-30-2018 11:24 AM

Last snowy was a bit much for my bull 1000
Going to try the 1200mj but I wish it had a lever drag

cp10415 06-30-2018 11:31 AM


Originally Posted by aoksales (Post 11566596)
Last snowy was a bit much for my bull 1000
Going to try the 1200mj but I wish it had a lever drag

you will find the star drag on the 1200mj very beefy.

aoksales 06-30-2018 01:00 PM

I am sure it is beefy - I just like the precision of the level drag

Coral Head 06-30-2018 02:36 PM


Originally Posted by aoksales (Post 11566769)
I am sure it is beefy - I just like the precision of the level drag

Yes a lever drag would be nice.

No sword yet but.... but some real world experience to share.

So here is my 2 cents, keep the reel in low speed as default. I have lost two big fish already by forgetting to switch the reel back to low speed after bring up a cleaned out (empty) rig. This reel cranks so fast and the drag holds so strong that you will pull the hook everytime on a bigger fish (30 lbs plus)

I did drag up a double barrel yesterday from 650 (2 Barrel fish at one time) both between 25-30 lbs and the reel never labored. They banged the hell out of the rod, trashed the rig, and snapped the weight the 8 lb weight off. If you have ever caught a barrel you know they fight like hell from the bottom to the surface, and this was 2 at one time. Ended up with 8 barrel, 2 BLTs, and a nice snowy off the same spot. And yes all on low speed. :grin:

aoksales 06-30-2018 03:12 PM

Nice work on the double barrels - you are lucky to have just lost the weight
thanks for the report on the seaborg - where did you get yours

Coral Head 06-30-2018 03:47 PM


Originally Posted by aoksales (Post 11567004)
where did you get yours

Australia, the exchange rate was pretty favorable.

Capt. Fred 06-30-2018 04:42 PM


Originally Posted by Coral Head (Post 11566955)
Yes a lever drag would be nice.

No sword yet but.... but some real world experience to share.

So here is my 2 cents, keep the reel in low speed as default. I have lost two big fish already by forgetting to switch the reel back to low speed after bring up a cleaned out (empty) rig. This reel cranks so fast and the drag holds so strong that you will pull the hook everytime on a bigger fish (30 lbs plus)

I did drag up a double barrel yesterday from 650 (2 Barrel fish at one time) both between 25-30 lbs and the reel never labored. They banged the hell out of the rod, trashed the rig, and snapped the weight the 8 lb weight off. If you have ever caught a barrel you know they fight like hell from the bottom to the surface, and this was 2 at one time. Ended up with 8 barrel, 2 BLTs, and a nice snowy off the same spot. And yes all on low speed. :grin:


Great work on the barrel fish. I am heading out tomorrow to try for a sword. Going out of Oregon Inlet, NC. I will report back.

Nickdee 07-01-2018 04:15 AM

At this point I thinking this reel is a good choice for most fishing . One question is how does it do a after a few years of fishing. If you fish a little i betting it ok. Question for someone who fishes this reel a lot how does it hold up after a few years of fishing .

cp10415 07-01-2018 12:46 PM


Originally Posted by Nickdee (Post 11567810)
At this point I thinking this reel is a good choice for most fishing . One question is how does it do a after a few years of fishing. If you fish a little i betting it ok. Question for someone who fishes this reel a lot how does it hold up after a few years of fishing .

come back to this thread in June 2023 and I will let you know....

Nickdee 07-01-2018 02:28 PM

I guessing they did not just made it for you. They must of sold more than 1


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.9.3.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.