Notices

Stainless Hooks - pros and cons

Reply

Old 04-11-2018, 04:36 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 129
Default Stainless Hooks - pros and cons

Truthers,
It seems many large hooks are stainless steel. Unfortunately, some of the really big fish I get to bite end up with the hook, one way or another. I've heard that mortality rates increase with SS hooks. If so, is the main angler disadvantage between SS and and conventional hooks just the need to sharpen one of them with a stone every so often? Or to replace rusted hooks more often. Is this an area where hook utility/cost vs fish mortality should be examined/ evaluated?
Thrillseekers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:45 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: CT
Posts: 710
Default

I like stainless for plugs and other lures that will likely not be swallowed. When live baiting I prefer non-SS so if I throat or gut hook a fish I can cut the line and know that hook is going to rust out at some point. Stainless hooks will stay with the fish longer in the event you have to cut your line.
Ct Contender is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:50 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,870
Default

they break
PINER_WAHOO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:44 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Posts: 193
Default

Originally Posted by Ct Contender View Post
I like stainless for plugs and other lures that will likely not be swallowed. When live baiting I prefer non-SS so if I throat or gut hook a fish I can cut the line and know that hook is going to rust out at some point. Stainless hooks will stay with the fish longer in the event you have to cut your line.
X2, trolling lures and ballyhoo rigs get stainless hooks, sharking rigs are carbon steel, and all my chunking, live bait, and bottom fish rigs are non-stainless.
RC2191 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:01 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,877
Default

Originally Posted by RC2191 View Post
X2, trolling lures and ballyhoo rigs get stainless hooks, sharking rigs are carbon steel, and all my chunking, live bait, and bottom fish rigs are non-stainless.
Yep.
VanW is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:05 PM
  #6  
KBH
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 746
Default

Other than on plugs I don't think I've ever used SS hooks. And I don't go out of the way looking either way when buying. I just don't remember seeing many trolling hooks that are stainless.
KBH is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 05:40 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Fort Myers, FL
Posts: 644
Default

Originally Posted by Thrillseekers View Post
Truthers,
It seems many large hooks are stainless steel. Unfortunately, some of the really big fish I get to bite end up with the hook, one way or another. I've heard that mortality rates increase with SS hooks. If so, is the main angler disadvantage between SS and and conventional hooks just the need to sharpen one of them with a stone every so often? Or to replace rusted hooks more often. Is this an area where hook utility/cost vs fish mortality should be examined/ evaluated?
Here is a point of view to use SS hooks.

http://eyecatcherlures.com/Article/indexid/2

Last edited by SWF Pontoon Angler; 04-13-2018 at 03:24 PM. Reason: Forgot to add link
SWF Pontoon Angler is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 10:42 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 252
Default

Most "stainless" hooks are stainless coated high carbon steel as pure stainless doesn't have that high of a tensile strength. They are typically more corrosion resistant than other coatings but will rust out at some point. I don't know who's out there counting fish mortality rates between hooks, but I question their data. I sharpen each about the same before going in the water, and I recommend using a bastard file. I highly recommend stainless coated hooks for artificial trolling lures and plugs as you don't want to be re-rigging them after every fish. I can't think of an instance where I'd want stainless on a circle hook.
CNBarron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 04:46 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 129
Default

Well,.........Only one official study sighted and it was strongly pro stainless, saying it was less toxic to the fish.

I got on ebay today and ordered a set of 16", long handled, SS, needle nose pliers ($15) for those times when getting up close and personal to that hook isn't a viable option. I don't mind killing a fish but I want it to happen either on it's way to my dinner table or on my way up it's food chain.
Thrillseekers is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 06:39 AM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 338
Default

Originally Posted by CNBarron View Post
Most "stainless" hooks are stainless coated high carbon steel as pure stainless doesn't have that high of a tensile strength. They are typically more corrosion resistant than other coatings but will rust out at some point. I don't know who's out there counting fish mortality rates between hooks, but I question their data. I sharpen each about the same before going in the water, and I recommend using a bastard file. I highly recommend stainless coated hooks for artificial trolling lures and plugs as you don't want to be re-rigging them after every fish. I can't think of an instance where I'd want stainless on a circle hook.

What brand might that be? Had never heard of that. All the big game stainless hooks I am familiar with are all stainless. Mustad 7691S, 7732, BlackBart Pa'a, Quick Rig hooks. I agree that all hooks should be sharpened and a bastard file is quick,easy and cheap. I generally use SS hooks in my trolling lures. Thats about the only place. Modern big game stainless hooks are strong enough almost any fish when appropriately sized. SS hooks like Mustad 34007 or E.C. 254 are lighter wire and not strong enough for large fish and heavy drags. By the way Mustad 3407SS is NOT stainless. It is tinned. The SS stands for super strong (dble strenght)
Tarpun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 10:51 AM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 252
Default

Originally Posted by Tarpun View Post
What brand might that be? Had never heard of that. All the big game stainless hooks I am familiar with are all stainless. Mustad 7691S, 7732, BlackBart Pa'a, Quick Rig hooks. I agree that all hooks should be sharpened and a bastard file is quick,easy and cheap. I generally use SS hooks in my trolling lures. Thats about the only place. Modern big game stainless hooks are strong enough almost any fish when appropriately sized. SS hooks like Mustad 34007 or E.C. 254 are lighter wire and not strong enough for large fish and heavy drags. By the way Mustad 3407SS is NOT stainless. It is tinned. The SS stands for super strong (dble strenght)
Gotcha, what might the difference be between 7691S and the 7691S-SS?
CNBarron is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2018, 01:30 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ormond Beach, FL
Posts: 338
Default

Mustad has changed their reference #s in the last couple of years. 7691S and and 7691S-SS are the same hook. 34007 became 34007-SS and 3407SSD became 3407SS-DT(which is not Stainless).I still use alot of bronze(laquered) hooks for meat fishing. Gotta take a file to them but cheap and rust -out quickly.
Tarpun is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:33 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Luling Louisiana
Posts: 1,307
Default

I know many lures use stainless hardware including hooks. I thought that stainless hooks were illegal to use anymore for bait.
Nasty Wendy is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 02:41 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 252
Default

That's for reef fish and Billfish Foundation Tournaments.
(Couldn't find anything on stainless and the Billfish Foundation only that they can't be offset)

Last edited by CNBarron; 04-17-2018 at 02:47 PM. Reason: Amended
CNBarron is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: