Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > SportFishing and Charters Forum
Reload this Page >

How do you catch gag grouper on deep diving lures?

Notices
Like Tree17Likes

How do you catch gag grouper on deep diving lures?

Old 05-19-2018, 08:37 PM
  #41  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 154
Default

Also waiting for the new colors and Nomad’s new split ring plier
tayfunmeric is offline  
Old 05-31-2018, 02:15 PM
  #42  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Belle Chasse, La
Posts: 3,264
Default

Just got a new shipment in with these colors and many more in DTX 200, DTX 165, and DTX 140


Striker Tackle is offline  
Old 07-06-2018, 03:16 PM
  #43  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Belle Chasse, La
Posts: 3,264
Default

Originally Posted by TooReel View Post
Another plug I have to add to the arsenal.

We have the Nuclear Coral Trout in stock in the DTX 165 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also check out the New Color Silver Green Mackerel now available at Striker Offshore Tackle.


Striker Tackle is offline  
Old 07-08-2018, 06:25 PM
  #44  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cedar Key, FL
Posts: 677
Default

We trolled a Stretch mackerel 30 and a 200mm red& white Nomad in 62 feet of water on 50 lb superbraid at 4-5 knots yesterday in the NE GOM. Water temp on the surface was 88.5° and had a couple of double strikes from gag grouper. The lures were back about 120-160 ft from the rod tip. I find grouper trolling to be more effective during slack tide. All of the grouper were 22- 23.8 inches long and were released. It was much easier to unhook the single hook on the Nomad than the trebles.
m9000 is offline  
Old 07-08-2018, 07:31 PM
  #45  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 520
Default


Like this. 😂
the 66 kid is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 08:17 AM
  #46  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Belle Chasse, La
Posts: 3,264
Default

Originally Posted by m9000 View Post
We trolled a Stretch mackerel 30 and a 200mm red& white Nomad in 62 feet of water on 50 lb superbraid at 4-5 knots yesterday in the NE GOM. Water temp on the surface was 88.5° and had a couple of double strikes from gag grouper. The lures were back about 120-160 ft from the rod tip. I find grouper trolling to be more effective during slack tide. All of the grouper were 22- 23.8 inches long and were released. It was much easier to unhook the single hook on the Nomad than the trebles.
Thanks for the report !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Striker Tackle is offline  
Old 07-10-2018, 08:43 AM
  #47  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 218
Default

we had a good time bump trolling 8 oz bucktails with a curly glow worm...groupers hit them HARD!

could not troll though more less power drifting but if you have a spot you can cover it pretty quickly.

I want to try the plugs though as at 5mph you could cover some serious ground
andrewjaxFL is offline  
Old 08-21-2018, 01:12 PM
  #48  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 141
Default

Originally Posted by andrewjaxFL View Post
we had a good time bump trolling 8 oz bucktails with a curly glow worm...groupers hit them HARD!

could not troll though more less power drifting but if you have a spot you can cover it pretty quickly.

I want to try the plugs though as at 5mph you could cover some serious ground
X2

That is the great thing about trolling is covering more ground which allows more fish to see your lure.
JimmyR is offline  
Old 08-21-2018, 01:42 PM
  #49  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Trenton, Fl.
Posts: 69
Default

I don't know how deep they go, but I have personally hung up a stretch 30 in 55' . I was spooled with 50 lb spiderwire and and pulling it about 5 mph.
I'll second those who warned about treble hooks. It's no fun to be 30 miles offshore and have an angry 15lb gag on one hook of a stretch 30 when the other hook has two barbs buried in the heel of your hand. (Don't ask me how I know!)
Leslie Sapp is offline  
Old 09-20-2018, 03:08 PM
  #50  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Belle Chasse, La
Posts: 3,264
Default

Check out the new DTX 200 we got at Striker Offshore Tackle. I am sure the Gag's will eat Orange Mackerel

Striker Tackle is offline  
Old 09-26-2018, 02:02 PM
  #51  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Belle Chasse, La
Posts: 3,264
Default

Originally Posted by tayfunmeric View Post
Also waiting for the new colors and Nomad’s new split ring plier

We now have these in stock

Striker Tackle is offline  
Old 09-26-2018, 04:29 PM
  #52  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 805
Default

You need to give your photographer a raise. He managed to make a pair of pliers look dead sexy.
Chimpo is offline  
Old 09-26-2018, 05:07 PM
  #53  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 3,197
Default

troll slow in keys. if weeds r around yr skrewed. putting it behind a troll wgt on a long mono leader wrks great in 60'
PINER_WAHOO is offline  
Old 09-27-2018, 07:08 AM
  #54  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Tallahassee, FL USA
Posts: 156
Default

How far back are you guys running your Stretch 30's to get them down to 30 feet or more? I run mine on braid with a short mono leader but am never convinced I'm putting them back the right distance.
Vitz is offline  
Old 09-27-2018, 12:37 PM
  #55  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
Posts: 7,260
Default

Originally Posted by DocStressor View Post
A lot of guys are switching over their big trolling plugs to inline hooks with 3X split rings. They hook up as well as trebles and are easier on the fish and the fishermen.
I do a treble on the front and a J hook on the back. Make sure the J hook is pretty close to the weight of the treble it replaces.
mikefloyd is offline  
Old 09-27-2018, 08:37 PM
  #56  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2018
Posts: 186
Default

Originally Posted by PINER_WAHOO View Post
troll slow in keys. if weeds r around yr skrewed. putting it behind a troll wgt on a long mono leader wrks great in 60'
How long of a leader between the trolling weight and the plug?
KrazyKona is offline  
Old 09-28-2018, 08:27 AM
  #57  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 411
Default

I have the perfect set of rods for this type of fishing for sale, used them in the keys for years with lots of success.
Pair of 6/0 Senators on Classic Fiberglass Rods
seaquin is offline  
Old 10-24-2018, 02:15 PM
  #58  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Belle Chasse, La
Posts: 3,264
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Chimpo View Post
You need to give your photographer a raise. He managed to make a pair of pliers look dead sexy.

I will pass the message on to Nomad.
Striker Tackle is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread