Notices
Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By Trophy Hunter84
  • 1 Post By iFishMD
  • 1 Post By Timex
  • 1 Post By hardtocontend

Ande 20-50 stand up rods

Old 08-12-2016, 08:31 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 216
Default Ande 20-50 stand up rods

Anyone have pictures of these rods? All the pics on the internet show quarters of the rod. I'm wanting to see the entire rod so i can see the guides. Some pictures make them look tiny and others look to be 'beefier'.

Anyone have experience with them? For around 50$ a rod, seems decent.

ASU-561A SBMH 5'6
ASU-601A SBMH 6'0

Are the models. Thanks guys!
SubmarinerTT is offline  
Old 08-13-2016, 03:31 AM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: RI
Posts: 6,462
Default

I have all my 30 wides on Their 50-80's. The tournament series. Good rods
BACKTOTHESEA is offline  
Old 08-13-2016, 06:41 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Vero Beach, FL
Posts: 216
Default

This is the image dicks sporting goods gives you. Looks like they have small butts

Name:  pDSP1-7239460p275w.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  9.8 KB

This is the image tackle direct gives you.

Name:  ande-stand-up-rods-39.jpg
Views: 988
Size:  27.9 KB

How in the hell would you be able to tell if the rod is what you're looking for by these pictures lol? I haven't been able to find any other pictures either.
SubmarinerTT is offline  
Old 05-15-2019, 09:16 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 142
Default

I'm in the same boat. It's a cheap rod for medium trolling. I don't like the fact that it has a rubber gimbal but I'm considering it to save some money. Anyone have experience please chime in.
Surf_spearMex is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 04:11 AM
  #5  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Glen Burnie MD
Posts: 33
Default

I have 20 of them for my rockfish spread they are great rods and the price is right. Also use them chunking for tuna and marlin spread.
Re-Bait and OutdoorzDude like this.
Trophy Hunter84 is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 04:44 AM
  #6  
Senior Member (used to be B-Faithful)Captains Club MemberPLEDGER Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Annapolis, MD
Posts: 16,950
Default

I have both 20-40lb and 20-50lb 6'ers. They have held up well to charter use during the Maryland striped bass trophy season for at least 5 years now. Butts are not terribly short. However the end of the butt is rounded which are nice for resting against you but can be tight on some rod holders.
Surf_spearMex likes this.
iFishMD is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 05:32 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Saunderstown / Pt Judith, RI
Posts: 1,672
Default

Originally Posted by SubmarinerTT View Post
This is the image dicks sporting goods gives you. Looks like they have small butts

Attachment 709784

This is the image tackle direct gives you.

Attachment 709785

How in the hell would you be able to tell if the rod is what you're looking for by these pictures lol? I haven't been able to find any other pictures either.
not to derail, but this has been my grip for a while. looking at rods online sucks. it seems every site does this with the pictures.
Sin Bin fishing RI is online now  
Old 05-16-2019, 05:57 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 142
Default

Originally Posted by iFishMD View Post
I have both 20-40lb and 20-50lb 6'ers. They have held up well to charter use during the Maryland striped bass trophy season for at least 5 years now. Butts are not terribly short. However the end of the butt is rounded which are nice for resting against you but can be tight on some rod holders.

I was thinking about getting the 20-50's and putting my squall 16vs on it for light trolling mahi/smaller tuna. I have been hesitant because of the quality factor. Does the rubber gimbal hold up well? My boat is down in Mexico so I don't like dragging junk down there but if I can save bucks I'll try em out.
Surf_spearMex is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:21 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 821
Default

They are good rods for the money and I own a good number of them. Primarily trolling rockfish (striped bass) and bottom fishing. The blanks are tough to beat and I like the metal reel seat, which feels and so far has proved more durable than a graphite one. I will say this. The guides on these rods are low quality and it's only a matter of time before one pops the insert. I just cut them out and re-wrap a new one and good to go again. But it's not a completely free lunch.
cletus9000 is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 01:07 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 488
Default

I have 8 of them & think their great rods they bend at your hand similar to a seeker black steel blank. iv got 30s on mine filled with 600 yds 80# braid & a 100yrd mono top shot with wind on swivels & never had a guide problem they are my short-long rigger & flatline rods & have cought bft to 175 & an estimated 500# blue marlin I don't even no how many yft & mahi with no problems
Surf_spearMex likes this.
Timex is offline  
Old 05-16-2019, 10:11 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Posts: 142
Default

Originally Posted by Timex View Post
I have 8 of them & think their great rods they bend at your hand similar to a seeker black steel blank. iv got 30s on mine filled with 600 yds 80# braid & a 100yrd mono top shot with wind on swivels & never had a guide problem they are my short-long rigger & flatline rods & have cought bft to 175 & an estimated 500# blue marlin I don't even no how many yft & mahi with no problems
Good info right here! Thanks
Surf_spearMex is offline  
Old 05-20-2019, 02:17 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,390
Default

I just bought the 2 of the 20-50 5ft 6 inch stand ups for a pair of spare TLD 20's I run 30 on . The gimbal butts are not rubber on mine they are aluminum . $53.00
Cracker23 likes this.
hardtocontend is offline  
Old 05-29-2019, 05:47 PM
  #13  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 585
Default

Similar situation, just bought two Penn Fathom 60LD 2-speeds (40# full drag). I do mainly inshore fishing now but plan to use these occasionally as offshore set ups when I get to FL during the winter. I was thinking to pair with the Ande 6’ stand up 20-50 med hvy, no rollers? Spool reels with 500yds 60-65# braid and a mono top shot. Probably be targeting, kings, wahoo, mahi, and small tuna. Does this sound like the right set up? What size and yd should the top shot be? Thanks in advance for replies.
OutdoorzDude is offline  
Old 05-29-2019, 06:04 PM
  #14  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 95
Default

Too much reel for the Rod and target species in my opinion, a Fathom 40 or Squall 40-50 spooled with 30-40 Mono will be perfect match for that rod and your target species, you can spool the reel with braid with a long top shot if you want or if you are afraid of getting spooled when you get lucky with a monster Wahoo but for 95% of the time you will be perfectly fine.

I use a few with Penn Squalls 40-50 and they work pretty good for an excellent price combo.

Hope this helps
Downloader is offline  
Old 05-29-2019, 06:17 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 585
Default

Originally Posted by Downloader View Post
Too much reel for the Rod and target species in my opinion, a Fathom 40 or Squall 40-50 spooled with 30-40 Mono will be perfect match for that rod and your target species, you can spool the reel with braid with a long top shot if you want or if you are afraid of getting spooled when you get lucky with a monster Wahoo but for 95% of the time you will be perfectly fine.

I use a few with Penn Squalls 40-50 and they work pretty good for an excellent price combo.

Hope this helps
i was worried about that. I have a couple squall 40LDs now that I use for rockfish and drum fishing. Those 40# bull reds can peel some line off the 40s with 20lbs of drag. Figured those wahoo and tuna would do a lot more damage and could not handle it? I think the 60 was only 1.5oz heavier than the fathom 40 so figured what the heck. Also appears the F60LD is same size and wgt of squall 50. Got a different rod suggestion? Maybe go 50-80, 6’-6” hvy?

Last edited by OutdoorzDude; 05-29-2019 at 06:27 PM.
OutdoorzDude is offline  
Old 05-29-2019, 10:24 PM
  #16  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 95
Default

Originally Posted by OutdoorzDude View Post


i was worried about that. I have a couple squall 40LDs now that I use for rockfish and drum fishing. Those 40# bull reds can peel some line off the 40s with 20lbs of drag. Figured those wahoo and tuna would do a lot more damage and could not handle it? I think the 60 was only 1.5oz heavier than the fathom 40 so figured what the heck. Also appears the F60LD is same size and wgt of squall 50. Got a different rod suggestion? Maybe go 50-80, 6’-6” hvy?
It will work great too, I like to keep it sporty but a combination of both is best, you can use the heavier ones to pull ballyhoo with big Islanders on top to create a bigger profile bait. The good thing about braid+topshot is line capacity for those “what if” situations and to refresh your line you only need replace the topshot and thats it.
Downloader is offline  
Old 05-30-2019, 07:44 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Virginia Beach
Posts: 585
Default

Originally Posted by Downloader View Post


It will work great too, I like to keep it sporty but a combination of both is best, you can use the heavier ones to pull ballyhoo with big Islanders on top to create a bigger profile bait. The good thing about braid+topshot is line capacity for those “what if” situations and to refresh your line you only need replace the topshot and thats it.
what size mono top shot would be ideal. I was thinking 50#, given the reels capability, even though will rarely if ever go full drag.
OutdoorzDude is offline  
Old 06-01-2019, 08:35 PM
  #18  
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 95
Default

50 is perfect, that's what I have 30lb HiVis line with a 30-50 feet of 50lb Mono and from there to the leader/lure.
Downloader is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread