Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > SportFishing and Charters Forum
Reload this Page >

Grouper off Port Canaveral - Snapper Invasion

Notices
Like Tree1Likes

Grouper off Port Canaveral - Snapper Invasion

Old 07-04-2016, 07:38 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Posts: 145
Default Grouper off Port Canaveral - Snapper Invasion

I am in need of some help... Red Snapper are over-running our bottom outside port canaveral.

It appears all my grouper numbers are holding nothing by big Atlantic Red Snapper... These are numbers that worked well for Grouper over the past few years, but now with the same rigs and bait, we are pulling up nothing but Snapper...

My rig is a standard 6 or 8 oz egg with a circle hook tied 3' below the stop. I have tried fluorocarbon 30-80 #, which only seems to attract more red snapper.

Is it possible the snapper are moving the grouper out of these spots?

Is there a different type rig which will help attract grouper or deter the snapper from biting?

Any help or advice is appreciated.
Mahi Dearest is offline  
Old 07-04-2016, 07:48 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Orlando, Fl
Posts: 1,060
Default

There are no red snapper.
FWC has made that clear.
Bonecracker likes this.
Farside88 is offline  
Old 07-04-2016, 07:50 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Posts: 145
Default

well then, those must be large scaled red grouper.
Mahi Dearest is offline  
Old 07-04-2016, 07:51 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Jason75979's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Shepherd, Texas
Posts: 7,860
Default

Use small red snapper for bait and you won't have to worry about catching red snapper...as much
Jason75979 is offline  
Old 07-04-2016, 07:54 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Jason75979's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Shepherd, Texas
Posts: 7,860
Default

Seriously, I know how it is. We've got to be in 250'+ to halfass weed out the snapper here in Texas. Bastards at thick enough we can chum them to the top and catch them on tops. Nothing but red below the boat.
Jason75979 is offline  
Old 07-04-2016, 08:19 PM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 37
Default

Use 150 fluoro and big baits, snapper shy away from heavy leader
WhyNotNow is offline  
Old 07-04-2016, 08:33 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Posts: 145
Default

I have used the heavier line, up to 150# as well.... Snapper seem hungry enough to ignore it...

Thanks for the advice of larger bait... pins have been a bit on the smaller side.

I normally cut the top fins off... is that necessary or could the wound further attrack the snapper?
Mahi Dearest is offline  
Old 07-04-2016, 08:33 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Panhandle, FL
Posts: 2,693
Default

Chum line and get the snapper off the bottom is the only answer I have for this up here where we are.
Marksnet is offline  
Old 07-04-2016, 09:41 PM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sebastian, FL
Posts: 1,196
Default

Originally Posted by Mahi Dearest View Post
I am in need of some help... Red Snapper are over-running our bottom outside port canaveral.

It appears all my grouper numbers are holding nothing by big Atlantic Red Snapper... These are numbers that worked well for Grouper over the past few years, but now with the same rigs and bait, we are pulling up nothing but Snapper...

My rig is a standard 6 or 8 oz egg with a circle hook tied 3' below the stop. I have tried fluorocarbon 30-80 #, which only seems to attract more red snapper.

Is it possible the snapper are moving the grouper out of these spots?

Is there a different type rig which will help attract grouper or deter the snapper from biting?

Any help or advice is appreciated.
My opinion is keep looking for new spots. You will find some eventually that aren't covered up in RS. I promise
tailin strange is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 06:14 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 37
Default

Use big baits blue runners, vermillion snappers, croakers, bluefish-big baits 8-12 inches.
WhyNotNow is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 06:32 AM
  #11  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Melbourne Bch, FL
Posts: 635
Default

Originally Posted by Farside88 View Post
There are no red snapper.
FWC has made that clear.
I watched the replay of the presentation of the SAFMC findings (south atlantic federal fisheries) to FWC. FWC is not the problem here. They know there are plenty of ARS'. SAFMC is blaming ongoing "discards" (fish that hook and liners bring up that don't make it back down) as the reason to not have a season AT ALL this year.

I spearfish more than I hook & line and I can tell you that many areas have abundant and healthy ARS populations. SAFMC thinks that one answer to the vexing problem is to disallow ANY bottomfishing in big areas to minimize the "discards." Canaveral north to Jax was one such are proposed.

FWC council actually pushed back during the meeting and asked why so many of SAFMC's "studies" are rejected by SAFMC when SAFMC staff themselves are involved in producing the studies in the first place. SAFMC, like many federal agencies, are too insulated from public input and would rather do the bidding of political influencers such as the PEW foundation IMO.
baldy is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 06:54 AM
  #12  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Posts: 145
Default

Originally Posted by baldy View Post
I watched the replay of the presentation of the SAFMC findings (south atlantic federal fisheries) to FWC. FWC is not the problem here. They know there are plenty of ARS'. SAFMC is blaming ongoing "discards" (fish that hook and liners bring up that don't make it back down) as the reason to not have a season AT ALL this year.

I spearfish more than I hook & line and I can tell you that many areas have abundant and healthy ARS populations. SAFMC thinks that one answer to the vexing problem is to disallow ANY bottomfishing in big areas to minimize the "discards." Canaveral north to Jax was one such are proposed.

FWC council actually pushed back during the meeting and asked why so many of SAFMC's "studies" are rejected by SAFMC when SAFMC staff themselves are involved in producing the studies in the first place. SAFMC, like many federal agencies, are too insulated from public input and would rather do the bidding of political influencers such as the PEW foundation IMO.

Good input Baldy. I believe everyone wants the ARS population to come back and one of the challenges and successfully getting these creatures back to the bottom.

Does anyone have a favorite venting tool and return process that works better than others?
Mahi Dearest is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 08:14 AM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ocala
Posts: 2,820
Default

On the gulf side we have started using bigger knife jigs to reduce the snapper hook ups. We also now avoid using any of the pink or red jigs as well due to the fact the RS seem to really like them. The bigger jigs have not completely stopped the snapper but have greatly reduced the issue and increased our grouper and king hook ups. Now, if there was just a way to keep AJs off I would be in heaven.
kmoose is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 12:38 PM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Panhandle, FL
Posts: 2,693
Default

Originally Posted by kmoose View Post
on the gulf side we have started using bigger knife jigs to reduce the snapper hook ups. We also now avoid using any of the pink or red jigs as well due to the fact the rs seem to really like them. The bigger jigs have not completely stopped the snapper but have greatly reduced the issue and increased our grouper and king hook ups. Now, if there was just a way to keep ajs off i would be in heaven.
yup.
Marksnet is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 06:30 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Cocoa Beach, FL
Posts: 145
Default

Do you guys fish the knife jigs right on the bottom or suspended up a couple feet? We have been bouncing the grouper rigs right along the bottom when the current allows.
Mahi Dearest is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 06:57 PM
  #16  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Panhandle, FL
Posts: 2,693
Default

Originally Posted by Mahi Dearest View Post
Do you guys fish the knife jigs right on the bottom or suspended up a couple feet? We have been bouncing the grouper rigs right along the bottom when the current allows.

Personally I have been having luck with Scamp bouncing in the strike zone. Come up about 25' and drop back down.
Marksnet is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 07:19 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Jason75979's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Shepherd, Texas
Posts: 7,860
Default

Originally Posted by Mahi Dearest View Post
Do you guys fish the knife jigs right on the bottom or suspended up a couple feet? We have been bouncing the grouper rigs right along the bottom when the current allows.
A lot of times, I'll set one on bottom and place the rod in a rod holder, then, reel up slack till it's juuust tight on a boat pitch to that side. This lets the waves bounce it just off bottom and land it back down while I use another rig at different depths.
Not the best way, as I've had to fight just to get the rod out of the rod holder after a smash and grab.
Jason75979 is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 07:50 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: hilton head island
Posts: 316
Default

we have caught unbelievable numbers of big red snapper this spring off hilton head they are much more aggressive than grouper
we jig a lot in january, february and march and catch a lot of gags in the off season when snapper not so active
it is such injustice to close the snapper season

check out the above video from sc
ex-conn is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 08:13 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Sebastian, FL
Posts: 1,196
Default

Originally Posted by Mahi Dearest View Post
Do you guys fish the knife jigs right on the bottom or suspended up a couple feet? We have been bouncing the grouper rigs right along the bottom when the current allows.
Snapper will and have been eating anything you put down there. Live, dead, metal, lead etc. doesn't matter. You just have to keep looking. Some of my old grouper spots are covered up in snapper. But not all of them
Name:  C1D2A95C-4B05-4EE6-91B2-D434D221BBFF_zpsfa2krplo.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  164.9 KB
tailin strange is offline  
Old 07-05-2016, 08:20 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Jason75979's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Shepherd, Texas
Posts: 7,860
Default

Originally Posted by tailin strange View Post
Snapper will and have been eating anything you put down there. Live, dead, metal, lead etc. doesn't matter. You just have to keep looking. Some of my old grouper spots are covered up in snapper. But not all of them
Attachment 687903
I only noticed a cute lady. What's the point of that pic
Jason75979 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread