Notices
Like Tree2Likes

Flat Fall Jig Info

Old 12-10-2016, 11:22 PM
  #61  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Luling Louisiana
Posts: 1,309
Default

My washdown pump arrived today but I'm going to reel in some white trout tomorrow for a fish fry so I won't be installing it for a few days.
Nasty Wendy is offline  
Old 05-10-2017, 05:53 PM
  #62  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Belle Chasse, La
Posts: 3,266
Default

We just got our new shipment of Flat fall jigs in 170 gm and 100gm. All of the bottoms on these jigs glow in the dark and these jigs have the extra short assist hooks. Buy them while we have them.
Attached Images    

Last edited by THT Mod 15; 10-17-2018 at 05:46 PM. Reason: removed ad link
Striker Tackle is offline  
Old 10-02-2017, 11:43 AM
  #63  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Belle Chasse, La
Posts: 3,266
Default

Just received a shipment of 250 Gram Flat Fall Jigs. All jigs have a glow in the dark bottom.
Attached Images   

Last edited by THT Mod 15; 10-17-2018 at 05:47 PM. Reason: removed ad link
Striker Tackle is offline  
Old 12-15-2017, 09:59 AM
  #64  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Arlington Texas
Posts: 141
Default Thumbs up!

http://https://youtu.be/92A-Ynt7eGI
marx88 is offline  
Old 10-13-2018, 06:27 PM
  #65  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 141
Default

Does anyone add assist hooks to the top of the jig?
JimmyR is offline  
Old 10-15-2018, 01:12 AM
  #66  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 8,459
Default

Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
Does anyone add assist hooks to the top of the jig?
interested in this question too

why do fall flat jigs have hooks on the bottom as opposed to the top as we see with other jigs.
chrisrack is offline  
Old 10-16-2018, 05:52 AM
  #67  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 90
Default

Originally Posted by chrisrack View Post


interested in this question too

why do fall flat jigs have hooks on the bottom as opposed to the top as we see with other jigs.
I fish front and back hooks on any slow pitch jigs over about 130g, on the smaller jigs it seems like only one forward hookset is enough.

in my experience only fishing hooks on one side of larger slow fall/fluttering jigs you’ll miss strikes and just have teeth marks to show for it.

Tie your own assist hooks of various lengths in single and double hook rigs, and be sure that the assist line is short enough to prevent the front and back hooks from fouling each other.




I prefer Gamakatsu 510 hooks and 300-300lb kevlar assist line, tied to solid stainless rings. I leave a split ring on the back ring of each jig and one on the business side of a swivel tied to my mainline, rigging this way prevents the need to re-tie for jig changes to adjust for current or a productive color.
trophymullet is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 08:27 AM
  #68  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,130
Default

I personally don't like the idea of putting hooks on the back of the jig. Split rings are the weakest link in the chain IMO and I try to do everything I can to take them out of the equation usually by tying my line directly to the solid ring which then has a split ring attached to it which connects the jig. If you want a longer assist cord that's fine but I almost always tie my jigs like that. The other issue with tying your line to the jig and then connecting the split ring and hooks to the bottom is the jig itself can create leverage against the fish while fighting it, something that could cost you a fish especially on a long fight. Just my thoughts, know lots of people have success rigging multiple hooks both top and bottom though so who knows.
HurricaneBK is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 09:05 AM
  #69  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Homosassa, FL
Posts: 1,343
Default

I've used Striker flat fall jigs attached to the line at either end. The hook forward (reverse) rigging is better for speed jigging and it still works fine when fluttered near the bottom. We seem to hook more smaller fish like snapper with the hooks on the bottom of the jig.
DocStressor is offline  
Old 10-17-2018, 09:53 AM
  #70  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Edgewater, Maryland
Posts: 915
Default

Originally Posted by HurricaneBK View Post
I personally don't like the idea of putting hooks on the back of the jig. Split rings are the weakest link in the chain IMO and I try to do everything I can to take them out of the equation usually by tying my line directly to the solid ring which then has a split ring attached to it which connects the jig. If you want a longer assist cord that's fine but I almost always tie my jigs like that. The other issue with tying your line to the jig and then connecting the split ring and hooks to the bottom is the jig itself can create leverage against the fish while fighting it, something that could cost you a fish especially on a long fight. Just my thoughts, know lots of people have success rigging multiple hooks both top and bottom though so who knows.
This makes a lot of sense when fishing for larger fish where the split rings can become the weak link. But how about smaller fish ( 40# and under), rigging on the back end get you more strikes and the split ring failure isn’t as much of an issue?

I want to start jigging more often and was thinking about buying some (not many) flat fall jigs. I can see the striker flat falls are a lot less than shimano flat falls but you have to buy 5 in each size range. Do these work as well as the Shimano flat falls? I have only used the Shimano flat falls in the past. Thanks
old hat is online now  
Old 10-17-2018, 01:15 PM
  #71  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,130
Default

Originally Posted by old hat View Post


This makes a lot of sense when fishing for larger fish where the split rings can become the weak link. But how about smaller fish ( 40# and under), rigging on the back end get you more strikes and the split ring failure isn’t as much of an issue?

I want to start jigging more often and was thinking about buying some (not many) flat fall jigs. I can see the striker flat falls are a lot less than shimano flat falls but you have to buy 5 in each size range. Do these work as well as the Shimano flat falls? I have only used the Shimano flat falls in the past. Thanks
Fair enough, if the hardware on the jig greatly exceeds the fish you're catching then it really doesn't make much difference. I'd opt for two hooks on the solid ring one longer than the other than hooks on the bottom though.

As for jigs, you'll lose jigs - a lot of them, so spending $15+ on a single jig doesn't make much sense to me but if you like throwing away money go for it. Buy the cheapest jigs you can find - the fish don't care. Make sure you have decent hooks and hardware on the jig. Lots of choices on ebay and in the for sale section on here.
old hat likes this.
HurricaneBK is offline  
Old 11-10-2018, 07:50 AM
  #72  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Belle Chasse, La
Posts: 3,266
Default

Originally Posted by JimmyR View Post
Does anyone add assist hooks to the top of the jig?

Some anglers do. Also some have hooks on the top and bottom of the jig. It’s really up to the fisherman.
Striker Tackle is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread