Notices
SportFishing and Charters Forum
 Smitty's Haulin'

lure bags

Old 04-12-2015, 05:00 PM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12,561
Likes: 0
Received 320 Likes on 220 Posts
Default lure bags

RANT. Why does every single pocket lure bag I get have to come with a grommet that gets rusty? I mean don't people that buy lure bags generally fish in saltwater? ;?
Old 04-12-2015, 07:23 PM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: RI
Posts: 516
Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
Default

Just looked at mine today and they were rusted also, makes no sense.....��
Old 04-12-2015, 07:50 PM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cayman Islands
Posts: 769
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts
Default

I've never liked any of the lure bags and found them to be noth'n but a pain in the A!

I converted to a grab and go 5 Gallon bucket and never looked back. I notched out slots around the rim for the hooks to locate and keep the lures evenly spread out, drilled holes in the bottom so I can rinse it all out with a hose at the end of the day and that's it. I throw things like daisy chains, live bait rigs and rubber bands in zip locks and they go in the bucket as well. Off the handle I will hang snap swivels spare hooks, clips for the downrigger etc. If I get invited out on a friends boat I just grab the bucket and I'm good to go. Probably not for everyone but works for me and no more lure bags!

Shan
Old 11-25-2015, 04:46 PM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Raleigh + MHC NC
Posts: 514
Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by shansgonefishin View Post
I've never liked any of the lure bags and found them to be noth'n but a pain in the A!

I converted to a grab and go 5 Gallon bucket and never looked back. I notched out slots around the rim for the hooks to locate and keep the lures evenly spread out, drilled holes in the bottom so I can rinse it all out with a hose at the end of the day and that's it. I throw things like daisy chains, live bait rigs and rubber bands in zip locks and they go in the bucket as well. Off the handle I will hang snap swivels spare hooks, clips for the downrigger etc. If I get invited out on a friends boat I just grab the bucket and I'm good to go. Probably not for everyone but works for me and no more lure bags!

Shan
Do you have a picture of your setup to share?
Old 11-25-2015, 05:09 PM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12,561
Likes: 0
Received 320 Likes on 220 Posts
Default

I have one of these buckets, not home made though. Doesn't replace lure bags for me when it comes to marlin lures with long leaders. Things with short wire and cable leaders do work nice though.
Old 11-26-2015, 07:00 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Lower DE
Posts: 858
Received 202 Likes on 81 Posts
Default

I know they need to breathe but that mesh gets any and all hooks stuck in them. Plus they fade really bad and make my lures smell like plastic. Leaders get all bent up. We use plastic boxes with that rust preventative stuff in them. Our spread is about the same on every trip depending on species so we have a box for each thing we target. Makes it a bit easier. Someone needs to invent a legit one then go order a 65 Viking then hire me to run it thanks happy bird day lol
Old 11-27-2015, 07:33 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Ryan H.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North of Dallas
Posts: 13,168
Received 970 Likes on 430 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by shansgonefishin View Post
I've never liked any of the lure bags and found them to be noth'n but a pain in the A!

I converted to a grab and go 5 Gallon bucket and never looked back. I notched out slots around the rim for the hooks to locate and keep the lures evenly spread out, drilled holes in the bottom so I can rinse it all out with a hose at the end of the day and that's it. I throw things like daisy chains, live bait rigs and rubber bands in zip locks and they go in the bucket as well. Off the handle I will hang snap swivels spare hooks, clips for the downrigger etc. If I get invited out on a friends boat I just grab the bucket and I'm good to go. Probably not for everyone but works for me and no more lure bags!

Shan
Originally Posted by asudchiman View Post
Do you have a picture of your setup to share?
X 2, would love to see a picture
Old 11-27-2015, 07:50 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 831
Received 61 Likes on 37 Posts
Default

We have to have grommets on our lure bags so tackle shops can hang and display them.

I can have lure bags made with no grommets if there is enough interest.
Old 11-27-2015, 11:15 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: CT
Posts: 1,850
Received 368 Likes on 237 Posts
Default

I use one off these and really like it. Fits in a 5 gallon bucket.


http://www.meltontackle.com/products/lure-box.html

I think you can get grommet free bags from nantucketbound.com
Old 11-27-2015, 11:22 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,619
Received 267 Likes on 199 Posts
Default

Shitty pic, but this is my lure bucket. Use rigging rubber bands to keep the lures coiled up. Yes these hooks are starting to get a little ragged, but they're 3 years old. Easy enough to throw them on the driveway when I get home and rinse them off. And I drilled holes for drainage.
Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2015, 11:24 AM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,619
Received 267 Likes on 199 Posts
Default

Marlin lures get more attention: cleaned, dried, then stored.
Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2015, 12:33 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12,561
Likes: 0
Received 320 Likes on 220 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Big Iron View Post
Shitty pic, but this is my lure bucket. Use rigging rubber bands to keep the lures coiled up. Yes these hooks are starting to get a little ragged, but they're 3 years old. Easy enough to throw them on the driveway when I get home and rinse them off. And I drilled holes for drainage.

Superbowl rigging bucket is what I have. Your bucket looks like a mess (like mine) which is why I believe buckets are only good for lures with 3 or 4 ft leaders. I like this bucket for small ballyhoo rigs and bonito lures etc, but once you try storing a bird teaser and a couple marlin lures all bets are off, takes like an hour to untangle the mess and don't even try to do it on a moving boat.
Old 11-27-2015, 12:34 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12,561
Likes: 0
Received 320 Likes on 220 Posts
Default

I like having grommets, but something the doesn't rust would be nice. I got some cheap daisy chains from zman once and their bags had a little loop of thread sewn on. Worked great.
Old 11-27-2015, 02:41 PM
  #14  
Formerly Propiedad Paradise Panama
Admirals Club  Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Isla Parida, Gulf of Chiriqui, Panama
Posts: 761
Received 124 Likes on 52 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by VanW View Post
RANT. Why does every single pocket lure bag I get have to come with a grommet that gets rusty? I mean don't people that buy lure bags generally fish in saltwater? ;?
Melton Tackle make some good ones without grommets...just Velcro. I have had these two bags for years....
Attached Images  
Old 11-27-2015, 02:47 PM
  #15  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Beaufort North Carolina
Posts: 4,636
Received 1,266 Likes on 580 Posts
Default

I love tackle bags, no gromets


Old 11-28-2015, 09:57 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 12,561
Likes: 0
Received 320 Likes on 220 Posts
Default

Where'd you get the ones with the straps? Are they from Blue Water Candy?
Old 11-28-2015, 10:14 AM
  #17  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Indian River Inlet, DE
Posts: 260
Likes: 0
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default

Nantucket Bound makes several different lure bags that don't have grommets.
Old 11-28-2015, 01:31 PM
  #18  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Beaufort North Carolina
Posts: 4,636
Received 1,266 Likes on 580 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by VanW View Post
Where'd you get the ones with the straps? Are they from Blue Water Candy?
Yes,Blue water Candy...the long ones are Black Bart and Plano.
Old 11-29-2015, 06:27 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Raleigh + MHC NC
Posts: 514
Received 38 Likes on 17 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Sport Fish Panama Island Lodge View Post
Melton Tackle make some good ones without grommets...just Velcro. I have had these two bags for years....
Brands/maker of these? ;?
Old 11-29-2015, 07:49 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Costa Rica and Sardinia (Italy)
Posts: 2,333
Received 169 Likes on 144 Posts
Default

It seems that the Plano Saltwater Wrap Bags don't use grommets as well

Chris

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.