Notices

Penn 113H upgrade

Old 12-08-2014, 07:19 AM
  #1  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
triumphrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Masaryktown, Fla.
Posts: 16,822
Default Penn 113H upgrade

I would like to thank forum member Tawn for sending in a collection of Penn LIveliner spinning reels and a pair of older Penn 113H reels.

During the cleanings, we talked about some upgrades. He wanted the reels to appear as good as possible when done. Not too hard to do considering their condition.

One reel had two trim rings and two posts that were pretty shabby. One other ring was very lightly pitted and sound, so it stayed on. Once those were replaced I felt the reels would meet his expectations...

Here is the reel, and you can see the trim ring and post damage:
Name:  PC070001.JPG
Views: 2089
Size:  419.3 KB

Gonna remove the handle and drag wheel
Name:  PC070002.JPG
Views: 2033
Size:  428.8 KB
Name:  PC070003.JPG
Views: 2006
Size:  429.4 KB
Name:  PC070004.JPG
Views: 1989
Size:  443.5 KB

Now the right sideplate comes off
Name:  PC070005.JPG
Views: 2032
Size:  452.1 KB

Here are the offending parts
Name:  PC070007.JPG
Views: 2009
Size:  450.1 KB

Here is a pic of the finished product....the drag washers were in pretty sad shape and glazed, so they were replaced during the cleaning.

We always return the old parts to the customer.

Name:  PC070008.JPG
Views: 2054
Size:  426.3 KB
Name:  PC070009.JPG
Views: 2095
Size:  444.4 KB
Name:  PC070012[1].JPG
Views: 2042
Size:  419.6 KB

I charge $25 to service most all conventional reels, including these. Carbon -tex drags run $17, Penn HT-100 drags run $10. The posts are $4.15 and the rings are $8.30.

Last edited by triumphrick; 08-11-2016 at 11:54 AM.
triumphrick is offline  
Old 12-08-2014, 07:32 AM
  #2  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,000
Default

Looks good as always Rick! I think I've found a 12/0 to pick up for a Warsaw reel, are there any options to hot rod or beef up these reels? I'm interested in handle, drag, gear and frame upgrades if possible.
Seasir is online now  
Old 12-08-2014, 07:41 AM
  #3  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
triumphrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Masaryktown, Fla.
Posts: 16,822
Default

Originally Posted by Seasir View Post
Looks good as always Rick! I think I've found a 12/0 to pick up for a Warsaw reel, are there any options to hot rod or beef up these reels? I'm interested in handle, drag, gear and frame upgrades if possible.
Whoa...that's a beast of a reel.,...

I have done some upgrades to 9/0 and 10/0...but not a 12/0.

Let me see what is available.
triumphrick is offline  
Old 12-08-2014, 08:04 AM
  #4  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deale, MD
Posts: 2,108
Default

Thanks Rick!

If you had to venture a guess, about how old are those 113's?

I bought them used from an old timer about 10 years ago.
Tawn is offline  
Old 12-08-2014, 08:20 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,408
Default

I like what I see.

I have 10 113 4/0.

Brutally tough reel IMHO. Some of mine have been on my Charter boat over 15 years.

Rick, your just up the road from me a bit, can they be dropped off to avoid having to ship.

The gears are getting sloppy and they need some work.
No worries on the drags, they are my grouper reels, I only worry if they slip.
20biminitwist is offline  
Old 12-08-2014, 08:28 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,000
Default

I'm open to opinions on using the 12/0 or using an old penn 50w I have. My friends are using the 12/0's but I believe they had work done to them. I'm not tied to either reel but I do have some 50's laying around.
Seasir is online now  
Old 12-08-2014, 08:55 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
triumphrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Masaryktown, Fla.
Posts: 16,822
Default

Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
Thanks Rick!

If you had to venture a guess, about how old are those 113's?

I bought them used from an old timer about 10 years ago.
\

They both have chrome spools, so that makes them older than the mid 80's. They went to the grey aluminum spool around then.

One even has an open drag stack...that makes it early 70's. In 1976 or thereabouts they went to the enclosed drags system.
triumphrick is offline  
Old 12-08-2014, 09:01 AM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
triumphrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Masaryktown, Fla.
Posts: 16,822
Default

Originally Posted by Seasir View Post
I'm open to opinions on using the 12/0 or using an old penn 50w I have. My friends are using the 12/0's but I believe they had work done to them. I'm not tied to either reel but I do have some 50's laying around.
The International 50's have way bigger and better drags in them than the old Senators.....my opinion.

Also, a 12/0 is not a stand up reel....a Int'l 50 could be...

Send me one of each and let me do some drag work on them and I will post some results!
triumphrick is offline  
Old 12-08-2014, 09:03 AM
  #9  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
triumphrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Masaryktown, Fla.
Posts: 16,822
Default

Originally Posted by 20biminitwist View Post
I like what I see.

I have 10 113 4/0.

Brutally tough reel IMHO. Some of mine have been on my Charter boat over 15 years.

Rick, your just up the road from me a bit, can they be dropped off to avoid having to ship.

The gears are getting sloppy and they need some work.
No worries on the drags, they are my grouper reels, I only worry if they slip.
Heck yes, you can drop by...

You can pet the goats too if you want...

Just call first. I am usually out of here around lunchtime, but here the rest of the day...

We are right off Hwy 41 and Copunty Line Rd... Pasco/Hernando counties.
triumphrick is offline  
Old 12-08-2014, 09:25 AM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 1,000
Default

Sounds good, I'll get them to you in the next week or so, I'm about to head to the keys for the next week to do some fishing.
Seasir is online now  
Old 12-08-2014, 05:04 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,408
Default

Originally Posted by triumphrick View Post
Heck yes, you can drop by...

You can pet the goats too if you want...

Just call first. I am usually out of here around lunchtime, but here the rest of the day...

We are right off Hwy 41 and Copunty Line Rd... Pasco/Hernando counties.
I will ship them.

Only 2 critters on the planet that freak me out. Goats and Monkeys.
20biminitwist is offline  
Old 12-08-2014, 06:23 PM
  #12  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
triumphrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Masaryktown, Fla.
Posts: 16,822
Default

Originally Posted by 20biminitwist View Post
I will ship them.

Only 2 critters on the planet that freak me out. Goats and Monkeys.


It's OK, they are not kept in the shop or anything. they kinda roam the two acres behind the shop..

Please complete the order form on my website.

You will find my guarantee (I won't bill you until you have received your reels and are satisfied with my work) my shipping and billing info.

thanks!
triumphrick is offline  
Old 12-24-2014, 05:10 PM
  #13  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deale, MD
Posts: 2,108
Default

It has been a cold, wet, dreary day here so I worked up the energy to strip all the line off the reels we use on the charter boat and gave them a good Corrossion-X bath and cleaned them up a little.

Not up to Rick's level of service but these are off the charter boat. $40 Okuma Avenger Live Liners and $10 Shimanos we use for bottom fishing. Really not cost effective to send them in for professional service but they get the job done and don't break the bank when we lose one over the side.
Attached Images  
Tawn is offline  
Old 12-24-2014, 05:39 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
triumphrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Masaryktown, Fla.
Posts: 16,822
Default

Originally Posted by Tawn View Post
It has been a cold, wet, dreary day here so I worked up the energy to strip all the line off the reels we use on the charter boat and gave them a good Corrossion-X bath and cleaned them up a little.

Not up to Rick's level of service but these are off the charter boat. $40 Okuma Avenger Live Liners and $10 Shimanos we use for bottom fishing. Really not cost effective to send them in for professional service but they get the job done and don't break the bank when we lose one over the side.
Awesome! Good collection of cleaning tools and some CorrosionX...

That sure looks good!

Thanks for your business, Tawn. I wish you and everyone else a Merry Christmas.
triumphrick is offline  
Old 12-24-2014, 06:02 PM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Beaufort North Carolina
Posts: 3,645
Default

not trying to hijack, I just love those old Penn's...don't have the time to mess with them any more. I use to love to bring one back form the dead



Ken T is offline  
Old 12-24-2014, 06:59 PM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
triumphrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Masaryktown, Fla.
Posts: 16,822
Default

Damn...that "before" looks pretty familiar...

Good job with the after.. Levelwinds are tricky....hard to line up the cover and get the sideplate screws in!

Ya'll keep this up and I may have to finally retire..
triumphrick is offline  
Old 12-24-2014, 08:49 PM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Beaufort North Carolina
Posts: 3,645
Default

all of these looked like the before picture. all are pre 70
Ken T is offline  
Old 12-24-2014, 09:17 PM
  #18  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Deale, MD
Posts: 2,108
Default

Nice gaggle of Penns Ken!

The two 113s Rick overhauled for me are the only older ones I use on a regular basis.

I have about 40 older, mostly junk reels I mounted to stained dowel rods and mounted to the beam on the garage ceiling for decoration.
Attached Images   
Tawn is offline  
Old 12-26-2014, 07:01 PM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Mhead West
Posts: 4,265
Default

Nice work Rick !

My 9/0s and 4/0s are working great.
liberty22 is offline  
Old 12-26-2014, 07:37 PM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
Thread Starter
 
triumphrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Masaryktown, Fla.
Posts: 16,822
Default

Originally Posted by liberty22 View Post
Nice work Rick !

My 9/0s and 4/0s are working great.
Thanks Dan...Hope you had a good Christmas and a Happy New Year!
triumphrick is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread