Go Back  The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum > BOATING FORUMS > SportFishing and Charters Forum
Reload this Page >

Who sells a good insulated bag to hold fish and ice ?

Notices

Who sells a good insulated bag to hold fish and ice ?

Old 07-22-2014, 06:04 PM
  #1  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Toms River NJ
Posts: 1,908
Default Who sells a good insulated bag to hold fish and ice ?

Looking to purchase a bag that can hold a coulpe decent size tuna and ice, any suggestions ? Fishing out of a small center console space is limited so I would rather not bring a large cooler.

Thanks
John
Sandpiper John is offline  
Old 07-22-2014, 06:45 PM
  #2  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Toms River NJ
Posts: 1,908
Default

Okay, after doing a search it looks like people like Canyon Bags, Ocean Tamer and Reliable. Any opinions ?
Sandpiper John is offline  
Old 07-22-2014, 07:24 PM
  #3  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Key West
Posts: 11,690
Default

Canyon, hands down.
coores14 is offline  
Old 07-23-2014, 05:24 AM
  #4  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Loreto, BCS, Mexico
Posts: 1,149
Default

John.....I have a Reliable that I've used for the past five years or so. It has put up with a world of abuse transporting and keeping cool hundreds of wahoo and ice often packed so full it's a struggle to get the zipper closed. The zipper and straps have held up after countless loads of 200# or so being dragged around the deck of the boat and/or pickup bed. There may be others as good but it has done the job for me.
Here's a pic of it in the background waiting for a big hoo. It will hold three that size headed and gutted.
Attached Images  
Bill Erhardt is offline  
Old 07-23-2014, 07:17 AM
  #5  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Miami
Posts: 111
Default

Saw some really nice ones at Hopkins Carter in Miami yesterday. Probably the largest that I've ever seen.

I think they were something that they found at last weeks' ICAST show.
Nomad 25 is offline  
Old 07-23-2014, 07:31 AM
  #6  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 2,642
Default

Originally Posted by Bill Erhardt View Post
John.....I have a Reliable that I've used for the past five years or so. It has put up with a world of abuse transporting and keeping cool hundreds of wahoo and ice often packed so full it's a struggle to get the zipper closed. The zipper and straps have held up after countless loads of 200# or so being dragged around the deck of the boat and/or pickup bed. There may be others as good but it has done the job for me.
Here's a pic of it in the background waiting for a big hoo. It will hold three that size headed and gutted.
I have one similar to the pic from reliable. I personally want to switch and try canyon. My reliable bag gets holes so bad I cut a small portion at the top inside liner to pour the water out of. It does hold ice really well and keeps the catch cold. I will give it that credit and as the zipper it has held up really well. I'm debating whether to get a liner or two made for it or get a different bag. One nice feature though is it's flat bottom compared to others!

Here's a pic of ours loaded with 20-30 mahi!
Attached Images  
wamc0206 is offline  
Old 07-23-2014, 07:34 AM
  #7  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Venice, LA
Posts: 2,318
Default

Canyon... I've had this one since the late 90s.
Attached Images  
luna sea II is offline  
Old 07-23-2014, 07:59 AM
  #8  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Loreto, BCS, Mexico
Posts: 1,149
Default

Originally Posted by wamc0206 View Post
I have one similar to the pic from reliable. I personally want to switch and try canyon. My reliable bag gets holes so bad I cut a small portion at the top inside liner to pour the water out of.
Mine got water in the liner one time and I started to cut a hole to drain it, but then discovered that the water got in around the drain spout which started to unscrew allowing water in around the gasket. Tightening up the spout solved the problem. The only problem I've had with holes was when my then 9 or 10 month old pup used the bag for a teething toy. Fortunately, the holes didn't puncture through.
Bill Erhardt is offline  
Old 07-23-2014, 05:27 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Toms River NJ
Posts: 1,908
Default

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I'll be checking around and getting some prices.
Sandpiper John is offline  
Old 07-23-2014, 07:33 PM
  #10  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 902
Default

Love the cayon bags, buddy has one and it's a beast
Bamaboy14 is offline  
Old 07-23-2014, 10:41 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: St Thomas USVI
Posts: 457
Default

Sea Angler Gear

seaanglergear.com
Rapchizzle is offline  
Old 07-24-2014, 12:30 PM
  #12  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: FL
Posts: 68
Default

I have a Reliable that I use when I go "offshore" for snapper etc. it fits between my cooler seat and aft casting deck so out of the way but easy to get to. The flat bottom is a good feature for a smaller boat, never had an issue with not holding ice for several days.
zload is offline  
Old 07-24-2014, 01:22 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Tarboro, NC USA
Posts: 261
Default Reliable

I have a brand new Reliable fish bag that's never been on the boat.
Email skaangler@aol.com if interested. I believe its 70 inches in length with flat bottom.
Thanks
Jim
Jim Du is offline  
Old 07-24-2014, 03:21 PM
  #14  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Toms River NJ
Posts: 1,908
Default

Originally Posted by Jim Du View Post
I have a brand new Reliable fish bag that's never been on the boat.
Email skaangler@aol.com if interested. I believe its 70 inches in length with flat bottom.
Thanks
Jim
Jim, I sent you an email.
Sandpiper John is offline  
Old 07-24-2014, 04:57 PM
  #15  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 2,642
Default

Just got done talking with john with canyon. Got a couple on the way. Gave me what I felt was a great deal and can't wait to see them! Great guy with awesome communication throughout the day as we went back and forth with things!
wamc0206 is offline  
Old 07-24-2014, 05:38 PM
  #16  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Toms River NJ
Posts: 1,908
Default

Originally Posted by wamc0206 View Post
Just got done talking with john with canyon. Got a couple on the way. Gave me what I felt was a great deal and can't wait to see them! Great guy with awesome communication throughout the day as we went back and forth with things!
What size did you go with ?
Sandpiper John is offline  
Old 07-24-2014, 05:55 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: NC
Posts: 2,642
Default

Originally Posted by Sandpiper John View Post
What size did you go with ?
The medium fish bag and one of his tournament king bags. His medium is about 6" shorter than the reliable I have now but need something different and this one should fit better in my location. The large bag would have been nice but it's way to big for my boat!

Depending on how soon you want to get one and how soon I get mine I'll post some pics of it for reference. He's putting our logo on it so I'm not sure how long it will be before I get them.
wamc0206 is offline  
Old 07-24-2014, 05:58 PM
  #18  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Key West
Posts: 11,690
Default

I had John at Canyon build me a custom bag that fits the exact dimensions of one of my rear fishboxes. So if he doesn't have a stock size that works for you, he'd be glad to build one that fits your needs. He's very easy to work with and he communicates well during the entire process.
coores14 is offline  
Old 07-24-2014, 06:00 PM
  #19  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Toms River NJ
Posts: 1,908
Default

Originally Posted by wamc0206 View Post
The medium fish bag and one of his tournament king bags. His medium is about 6" shorter than the reliable I have now but need something different and this one should fit better in my location. The large bag would have been nice but it's way to big for my boat!

Depending on how soon you want to get one and how soon I get mine I'll post some pics of it for reference. He's putting our logo on it so I'm not sure how long it will be before I get them.
How is your Reliable ? Has it held up and how well does it hold ice ? I was looking at the 24 X 60, I think it's 150qt.
Sandpiper John is offline  
Old 07-24-2014, 06:05 PM
  #20  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Toms River NJ
Posts: 1,908
Default

Originally Posted by coores14 View Post
I had John at Canyon build me a custom bag that fits the exact dimensions of one of my rear fishboxes. So if he doesn't have a stock size that works for you, he'd be glad to build one that fits your needs. He's very easy to work with and he communicates well during the entire process.
Didn't realize they would custom size them for you. How do you like the quality ? I'm only looking to use it for day trips, so I'm assuming they will hold ice for at least a day.
Sandpiper John is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread