Notices
Like Tree1Likes

St. John USVI In July

Reply

Old 05-23-2013, 09:20 AM
  #1  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 88
Default St. John USVI In July

Hey Folks,

I'm headed down to St. John in July which I'm pumped for. I'm looking for a little help in the way of charters, as well as pointers for fishing from shore, what kind of tackle to bring etc. There is surprisingly little info on fishing down there on the web. Most well known charters seem to be mixed bag and double header. Would like to do an inshore trip and maybe get some tarpon, permit, snook etc.
Any general intel on fun stuff to do down there would be appreciated as well; good bars restaurants etc etc.
ctsalt12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:58 AM
  #2  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,551
Default

Red hook on st. Thomas is where most charters are based.
seawitch123 likes this.
N2theblue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:01 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 701
Default

Any of the St thomas charter boats will happily pick you up in St John. Double header and Mixed Bag are probably the most well know but I'd also check out Ocean Surfari (www.oceansurfari.com), Bluewater Safaris, and Captain Alvin's (he is a THT member). I'm not sure who specializes in in-shore trips, as most people here are more focused on offshore. July is marlin season if you are interested in offshore.

If I was going to do one activity, I'd rent a small power boat and head over to the British Virgin Islands. It's a short ride and you will be able to see several unbelievable spots in one day. There are numerous companies that rent power boats.

Last edited by Bucklene; 05-23-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Bucklene is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:27 AM
  #4  
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 88
Default

Originally Posted by Bucklene View Post
Any of the St thomas charter boats will happily pick you up in St John. Double header and Mixed Bag are probably the most well know but I'd also check out Blue Water Surfari (www.oceansurfari.com) and Captain Alvin's (he is a THT member). I'm not sure who specializes in in-shore trips, as most people here are more focused on offshore. July is marlin season if you are interested in offshore.

If I was going to do one activity, I'd rent a small power boat and head over to the British Virgin Islands. It's a short ride and you will be able to see several unbelievable spots in one day. There are numerous companies that rent power boats.
Thanks Bucklene, I am most definitely interested in offshore and targeting marlin. Landing one would make my trip. Thanks for the advice.

I see you're from the USVI, any pointers as to what lures I should throw fishing from shore? I don't know what the prevalent bait is down there this time of year.
ctsalt12 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 11:44 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 8,551
Default

When we went last year we fished on Marlin Prince and caught two about the same time of year you are talking about going. I didn't do any Inshore fishing even though I took gear, too busy snorkeling/exploring/diving etc.

I highly recommend SNUBA at Coral World in St. Thomas.
N2theblue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 12:12 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NJ, U.S.V.I, FL
Posts: 483
Default

Originally Posted by Bucklene View Post
Any of the St thomas charter boats will happily pick you up in St John. Double header and Mixed Bag are probably the most well know but I'd also check out Blue Water Surfari (www.oceansurfari.com) and Captain Alvin's (he is a THT member). I'm not sure who specializes in in-shore trips, as most people here are more focused on offshore. July is marlin season if you are interested in offshore.

If I was going to do one activity, I'd rent a small power boat and head over to the British Virgin Islands. It's a short ride and you will be able to see several unbelievable spots in one day. There are numerous companies that rent power boats.
Good advice here. Colin (Surfari) formerly worked for DH and branched off now running a 39 sea vee, he knows his stuff. Alvin just won the dolphin derby and is a great guy so he is highly recommended as well. DH and MB are both staples of USVI charters, all are good choices!
bigfish49 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:51 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Guilford, CT now Bayville, LI-NY
Posts: 252
Default

captain tyler from double header. tell him chris from guilford referred you. you will catch and have a great time doing it
rhinoke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 02:57 PM
  #8  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 557
Default

You can't go wrong with Double Header.
The earlier post about renting a boat and touring the BVI's for day is a must do.
July is a great time to boat, the seas are usually alot flatter.
maitman99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 04:33 PM
  #9  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: marblehead
Posts: 2,252
Default

Originally Posted by rhinoke View Post
captain tyler from double header. tell him chris from guilford referred you. you will catch and have a great time doing it
X2 on Tyler!! That man is obsessed.
Ethan is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:46 PM
  #10  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 2,080
Default

Rent a boat and snorkeling gear for sure. Tons of cool places to go.
Other than that spend every minute you can on the North Drop. There are lots of other places to chase all the other fish available there. But there's not many other places that are easy to get to that have a blue marlin fishery like there.
We fished with Rob Richards on the "Mixed Bag". Good capt and good mates. They'll fish however you want to and have good tackle.
LATROUT is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2014, 12:18 PM
  #11  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: FROZEN TUNDRA - Titletown- Green Bay
Posts: 272
Default

I'll revive this thread. My wife and I are headed to St. John/St. Thomas in July. What are the good boat rental places in St Thomas?

Thanks.
Tundra Troller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:46 PM
  #12  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Guilford, CT now Bayville, LI-NY
Posts: 252
Default

When in July? I will be on both islands and jost van dyke in July running a boat over from Puerto Rico. Call double header and ask them about boat rentals
rhinoke is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:54 PM
  #13  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: C Dock Rum Club, FL
Posts: 6,077
Default

I have no fishing advice but you want to eat here. It was the highlight of my trip. Book a table to be seated about 30 minutes before sunset. The view is amazing.

http://www.asolarestjohn.com/
23Dorado is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:15 PM
  #14  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 557
Default

You will have a great time on St John in July.. the surrounding water is relatively calm in July and August. Any of the fishing boats mentioned earlier are a good choice.

As a resident (20 weeks a year) here are my random recommendations.

Best high end restaurant , ZoZo's at Caneel Bay. They just moved to Caneel from their original location in November, may be the best restaurant in the Caribbean.

Local bar at sunset...The Beach Bar at Wharfside Village in Cruz Bay

Best shopping for the ladies, Mongoose Junction, Cruz Bay

If you are roaming around Cruz Bay during the day and are hungry, go for Uncle Joe's Barbeque near the customs office on the water of the inner harbor.

Good groceries at Starfish Market in Cruz Bay.

Buy your booze and wine at the Dolphin Market, not the wine store next to Starfish...much better pricing.

If your plane arrives before 3:30 PM on St Thomas, rent your car at the airport and drive to the car barge in Red Hook. Better cars and prices...no expensive aggravating mini van taxis and only $25 for the barge. The barge does stop running at 6:00PM

Beaches...North side.. Frances and Maho are local favorites. Trunk and Cinnamon are beautiful, but usually have too many tourists, July may be ok.

South shore beaches are not as busy and have outstanding snorkeling spots, my favorites are Salt Pond Beach and Lameshur Beach (road looks terrible but its not that bad).

Coral Bay on the east end is very cool...Have a drink or five at Skinny's and if you want a great dinner with a fresh catch, I recommend the Aqua Bistro.

You can rent a reasonable CC from Ocean Runner in St John and explore the BVI's. Head straight for Jost Van Dyke, check in at customs, have a quick drink at Foxy's, buy some Cuban cigars and then head around the corner to the Soggy Dollar for lunch and painkillers. (they invented the pain killer) Much better spot during the day than Foxy's
From Jost, if you have a calm day you can make a run to the Baths, if you can make it work it is very cool. If you can't make the Baths, head from Jost to Norman Island, snorkel the caves and get a drink or five at the Willy T.
Return the boat at the end of the day and walk 30 yards to the Beach Bar to watch the sunset on what was a great day.

For a superb snorkeling adventure go to the north side and follow the signs to the Annaberg Sugar Mill ruins. Park your car and walk the trail along the bay to Waterlemon Cay. When you get to the beach at the end of the trail, walk out (shallow water) to the little island just to the north. Snorkel around the island, truly amazing snorkeling. Be careful of the current on the east side of the island.

You will have a blast and I am certain you will return to St John many times...its a special place in AMERICA!!
maitman99 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:29 PM
  #15  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: FROZEN TUNDRA - Titletown- Green Bay
Posts: 272
Default

Originally Posted by rhinoke View Post
When in July? I will be on both islands and jost van dyke in July running a boat over from Puerto Rico. Call double header and ask them about boat rentals
We just arrived today and will be here for 10 days.
Tundra Troller is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 11:36 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Madisonville, LA
Posts: 855
Default

Originally Posted by maitman99 View Post
You will have a great time on St John in July.. the surrounding water is relatively calm in July and August. Any of the fishing boats mentioned earlier are a good choice.

As a resident (20 weeks a year) here are my random recommendations.

Best high end restaurant , ZoZo's at Caneel Bay. They just moved to Caneel from their original location in November, may be the best restaurant in the Caribbean.

Local bar at sunset...The Beach Bar at Wharfside Village in Cruz Bay

Best shopping for the ladies, Mongoose Junction, Cruz Bay

If you are roaming around Cruz Bay during the day and are hungry, go for Uncle Joe's Barbeque near the customs office on the water of the inner harbor.

Good groceries at Starfish Market in Cruz Bay.

Buy your booze and wine at the Dolphin Market, not the wine store next to Starfish...much better pricing.

If your plane arrives before 3:30 PM on St Thomas, rent your car at the airport and drive to the car barge in Red Hook. Better cars and prices...no expensive aggravating mini van taxis and only $25 for the barge. The barge does stop running at 6:00PM

Beaches...North side.. Frances and Maho are local favorites. Trunk and Cinnamon are beautiful, but usually have too many tourists, July may be ok.

South shore beaches are not as busy and have outstanding snorkeling spots, my favorites are Salt Pond Beach and Lameshur Beach (road looks terrible but its not that bad).

Coral Bay on the east end is very cool...Have a drink or five at Skinny's and if you want a great dinner with a fresh catch, I recommend the Aqua Bistro.

You can rent a reasonable CC from Ocean Runner in St John and explore the BVI's. Head straight for Jost Van Dyke, check in at customs, have a quick drink at Foxy's, buy some Cuban cigars and then head around the corner to the Soggy Dollar for lunch and painkillers. (they invented the pain killer) Much better spot during the day than Foxy's
From Jost, if you have a calm day you can make a run to the Baths, if you can make it work it is very cool. If you can't make the Baths, head from Jost to Norman Island, snorkel the caves and get a drink or five at the Willy T.
Return the boat at the end of the day and walk 30 yards to the Beach Bar to watch the sunset on what was a great day.

For a superb snorkeling adventure go to the north side and follow the signs to the Annaberg Sugar Mill ruins. Park your car and walk the trail along the bay to Waterlemon Cay. When you get to the beach at the end of the trail, walk out (shallow water) to the little island just to the north. Snorkel around the island, truly amazing snorkeling. Be careful of the current on the east side of the island.

You will have a blast and I am certain you will return to St John many times...its a special place in AMERICA!!
Man, if I could live on St John for 20 weeks/yr I would give my left....

I'll be down there in a couple weeks. Can you elaborate on the current around Waterlemon Cay? Should you avoid the east side? Or is it going to carry you out to sea? or what?

And if you were to rent a boat to snorkel the south shore spots (or the northshore for that matter), are there mooring balls at each spot or how does that work?
wiggreb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 12:08 PM
  #17  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: USVI
Posts: 1,449
Default

Its carnival time now! Great time if you get some advice from some of the good locals. done be hesitant to ask your waiters at dinner what to do.

get a conch Roti from the Roti booth. Holy F, they are the bomb. Bahamas conch has nothing on her booth. Stew conch is also great. Johnny cakes, and pates (Pah-Tay) are a must.

Bad Kitty is a good charter as well.
sixmassive is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 02:01 PM
  #18  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 701
Default

Originally Posted by wiggreb View Post
Man, if I could live on St John for 20 weeks/yr I would give my left....

I'll be down there in a couple weeks. Can you elaborate on the current around Waterlemon Cay? Should you avoid the east side? Or is it going to carry you out to sea? or what?

And if you were to rent a boat to snorkel the south shore spots (or the northshore for that matter), are there mooring balls at each spot or how does that work?
The current at waterlemon shouldn't be a concern. Just snorkel with someone else. I've been there countless times and never had an issue.

If I was renting a boat I'd go to BVI's. North side St. John is mostly national park and you have to use mooring balls that are very far off the beach. I think boats under 12 feet can go to beaches and there is a place in Cruz Bay that rents small inflatables. You can get closer to snorkel spots on south side but its easier and cheaper to take a car. Both north and south sides have plenty of mooring balls at beaches and snorkel spots. In my opinion St. John is best seen from a car.

Taking a boat to BVI's is the best thing you can do down there.

Last edited by Bucklene; 07-02-2014 at 02:17 PM.
Bucklene is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:16 AM
  #19  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Madisonville, LA
Posts: 855
Default

Originally Posted by Bucklene View Post
The current at waterlemon shouldn't be a concern. Just snorkel with someone else. I've been there countless times and never had an issue.

If I was renting a boat I'd go to BVI's. North side St. John is mostly national park and you have to use mooring balls that are very far off the beach. I think boats under 12 feet can go to beaches and there is a place in Cruz Bay that rents small inflatables. (1)You can get closer to snorkel spots on south side but its easier and cheaper to take a car. Both north and south sides have plenty of mooring balls at beaches and snorkel spots. In my opinion St. John is best seen from a car.

(2)Taking a boat to BVI's is the best thing you can do down there.
1. Car is cheaper but boat is much more fun.
2. No passport
wiggreb is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:00 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 701
Default

Originally Posted by wiggreb View Post
1. Car is cheaper but boat is much more fun.
2. No passport
If you rent a boat, check out little cinnamon on the north side. It's one of the only beaches you can anchor off of. Also salt pond on the south is great by boat and the mangroves in coral bay have some of the best snorkling I've seen. Most dive spots have moorings so they are super easy to find.
Bucklene is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: