Notices

Penn International...problem/question?

Old 02-23-2011, 09:20 PM
  #1  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4
Default Penn International...problem/question?

I recently purchased my second 16vsx. When I took it out of the box and gave the handle a crank, it just didn't seem right (too much resistance). I compared it to my other 16 (which does feel "right") and there is a marked difference. I adjusted the preset drag, tested throughout the lever drag range, switched high and low gears, and played with the clicker back, and it just isn't smooth. The handle on my original 16 will turn with gravity if I turn the reel itself in the opposite direction; not with the new one. Any advise or recommendations? Anyone else have this kind of issue? Thanks.
erikjohnson is offline  
Old 02-23-2011, 09:40 PM
  #2  
THT Sponsor
THT sponsor
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ocean Isle Beach, NC
Posts: 3,831
Default

欢迎来到外判世界。
Killer&Griller is offline  
Old 02-23-2011, 10:09 PM
  #3  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4
Default

欢迎来到外判世界。

Is that you don't understand my question or that you believe the reel is a Chinese knockoff?
erikjohnson is offline  
Old 02-23-2011, 10:28 PM
  #4  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 217
Default

I don't think it's a chinese knockoff.

I bought two 16 vsx's at the same time. One of them was absolutely perfect, the other was just like yours. When I replaced it, the new one was better, but the preset drag would not adjust half as much as my other. Luckily, the tackle shop I got them from was great, and adjusted the drag to the match of the other. The 16 vsx's are small reels with allot of drag. If you do some research, there have been a bunch of similar problems.
Shortfin19seventy is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 06:01 AM
  #5  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: maine
Posts: 1,657
Default

the internationals are made in the usa.killer,a lot of your stuff is probably made in china..
marcus220 is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 06:05 AM
  #6  
Admirals ClubCaptains Club Member Admiral's Club Member
THT sponsor
 
John_Madison CT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Old Saybrook, CT
Posts: 13,732
Default

Call Penn. I bet they take care of you fast.
John_Madison CT is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 06:17 AM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: mass.
Posts: 5,593
Default

Originally Posted by john_madison ct View Post
call penn. I bet they take care of you fast.
x2 ^^^^
On The Edge 1 is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 06:33 AM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hopkinton MA
Posts: 842
Default

Originally Posted by John_Madison CT View Post
Call Penn. I bet they take care of you fast.
Yeah like they took 4 months to fix my 80VSW because they were waiting for a part? It was sent to their factory where they make the parts.;? Needless to say I sold that lemon and will never buy another Penn.
Tuna Meltdown is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 08:38 AM
  #9  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ramrod Key, Flordida, USA, Savannah, Ga.
Posts: 25
Default Penn International

Originally Posted by John_Madison CT View Post
Call Penn. I bet they take care of you fast.
x3
Fishfinder is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 03:03 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Tampa, FL; 83 Mako 22
Posts: 3,309
Default

Originally Posted by erikjohnson View Post
I recently purchased my second 16vsx. When I took it out of the box and gave the handle a crank, it just didn't seem right (too much resistance). I compared it to my other 16 (which does feel "right") and there is a marked difference. I adjusted the preset drag, tested throughout the lever drag range, switched high and low gears, and played with the clicker back, and it just isn't smooth. The handle on my original 16 will turn with gravity if I turn the reel itself in the opposite direction; not with the new one. Any advise or recommendations? Anyone else have this kind of issue? Thanks.
Where did you buy the reel from? If a local tackle shop, take it back and I'm sure they'll swap it out. If you bought it online, let them know.

If it's new, call Penn Customer service and see what they recommend.

PB
Prop Blast is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 03:53 PM
  #11  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY (Bay Ridge)
Posts: 14,712
Default

The long term fix is Shimano/Accurate. Sorry about the problem with the reel. Try to go to a local authorized repair place before sending it to Penn. I had to send 2 new 30's to them because of drag issues and they couldn't tell me when I was getting them back, where they were in the process, etc. Ended up taking over a month and not one, "Sorry for the trouble", "Here, take this for the inconvenience and to help with the cost you incurred to send the reels to us", etc. Their cust svc sucks and that's why I say try to get the warranty work done locally.

They aren't knock offs (Some douches will try to tell you that), just Penn ain't what it used to be.

Good luck,

J
Esuomm1 is offline  
Old 02-24-2011, 04:51 PM
  #12  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks for all the advise, guys. I will give Penn a call.
erikjohnson is offline  
Old 02-25-2011, 05:00 AM
  #13  
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: West Los Angeles, CA.
Posts: 83
Default

The older Penn reels are Tanks.
Fish_Harder is offline  
Old 02-25-2011, 06:21 AM
  #14  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Monmouth County, NJ / Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Posts: 1,036
Default

Originally Posted by Esuomm1 View Post
The long term fix is Shimano/Accurate. Sorry about the problem with the reel. Try to go to a local authorized repair place before sending it to Penn. I had to send 2 new 30's to them because of drag issues and they couldn't tell me when I was getting them back, where they were in the process, etc. Ended up taking over a month and not one, "Sorry for the trouble", "Here, take this for the inconvenience and to help with the cost you incurred to send the reels to us", etc. Their cust svc sucks and that's why I say try to get the warranty work done locally.

They aren't knock offs (Some douches will try to tell you that), just Penn ain't what it used to be.

Good luck,

J

Like there have been no issues with those reels or customers service problems

I think every company has its issues.
joemat is offline  
Old 02-25-2011, 06:36 AM
  #15  
Senior MemberCaptains Club MemberPLEDGER
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 11,838
Default

Originally Posted by Fish_Harder View Post
The older Penn reels are Tanks.
Still fishing with a couple of Penn 30TW International II reels...they are battle-scarred, meat-catching machines.
Compared a new Penn 50 VSX to an Avet Pro-EX 50W, and the difference was very evident. Penn doesn't make them like they used to.
Wolakrab is offline  
Old 02-25-2011, 09:51 AM
  #16  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY (Bay Ridge)
Posts: 14,712
Default

Originally Posted by joemat View Post
Like there have been no issues with those reels or customers service problems

I think every company has its issues.
Agree. Accurate, possibly, Shimano are hands down better reels overall.

I'll try another company before I go back to buying Penn as they, in my opinion, don't deserve my business anymore. The new stuff they are putting out, their quality control and customer service/infrastructure isn't where it needs to be for that money. They are living off a reputation now that is quickly fading, period.

My older 50's are and have been bullet proof FOR DECADES, no issues. The new stuff I got, not holding up that well (broken buttons, drag issues, manufacturing defects, etc.). Some of these issues are on brand new/unused product, i.e. it wasn't caught before they shipped it out and they know that is going to cause the customer problems as soon as it is purchased. So, in my opinion, they ain't trying hard enough and will eventually fade away or will have their market share eroded so much as to make them a distant memory. Sucks, but it's true.

J
Esuomm1 is offline  
Old 02-25-2011, 11:34 AM
  #17  
Senior MemberCaptains Club Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location:
Posts: 3,328
Default

Sold my last Intl's. a few weeks ago and will never go back. Shimano for me other than my two 11 year old 114 Senators that refuse to die.
twotems is offline  
Old 02-27-2011, 06:57 AM
  #18  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 4
Default

Sent the reel back. I have been a loyal Penn fisherman for 20+ years but am going to buy an Accurate and fish side by side with my other 16vsx (and compare fit and finish with my other Penn Intl's) to see for myself. I hope the quality difference isn't large because I will go broke and become single replacing my arsenal. Oh well, small sacrifices...
erikjohnson is offline  
Old 03-03-2011, 06:34 AM
  #19  
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1
Default Possible Answer

There is this phenomena in the manufacture of mechanical goods called "tolerance stack-up". Though parts of complicated mechanical things are built to a high degree of precision, they still have "tolerances"meaning a part passes if it is in the one, two or how ever many thousands of an inch they want to set as the tolerance range for that part.

Sometimes if you have several parts in a drive train or moving action where some were on the low end of + or - three thousands of an inch, and some are on the high side, you could have as much as six or seven thousands of an inch in parts "tightness" that has an effect on the "feel". Seven thousandths of an inch is roughly half the thickness of a matchbook cover. It can make things real tight it if all accidently adds up to affecting the crank.

Happens in every manufacturing process. Ever picked up two identical new guns and one was tight as can be, and the other seemed to rattle.

Personally I would keep it and use it until it "wears in" if it is useable. It will wear in eventually and you will have a reel that that human being ever could have tuned that smooth.

The other thing that you may want to consider in the event that this is the first new reel of this type you have tried, and your others have been used, is that they are already "wore in" and you were just not prepared for the feel of one that isn't and came out manufactured on the "tight" end of what is considered acceptable by their inspectors.

Just my two cents.
racoonbeast is offline  
Old 03-03-2011, 07:27 AM
  #20  
Admirals Club Admiral's Club Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: New Jersey Shore
Posts: 2,266
Default

Originally Posted by racoonbeast View Post
There is this phenomena in the manufacture of mechanical goods called "tolerance stack-up". Though parts of complicated mechanical things are built to a high degree of precision, they still have "tolerances"meaning a part passes if it is in the one, two or how ever many thousands of an inch they want to set as the tolerance range for that part.

Sometimes if you have several parts in a drive train or moving action where some were on the low end of + or - three thousands of an inch, and some are on the high side, you could have as much as six or seven thousands of an inch in parts "tightness" that has an effect on the "feel". Seven thousandths of an inch is roughly half the thickness of a matchbook cover. It can make things real tight it if all accidently adds up to affecting the crank.

Happens in every manufacturing process. Ever picked up two identical new guns and one was tight as can be, and the other seemed to rattle.

Personally I would keep it and use it until it "wears in" if it is useable. It will wear in eventually and you will have a reel that that human being ever could have tuned that smooth.

The other thing that you may want to consider in the event that this is the first new reel of this type you have tried, and your others have been used, is that they are already "wore in" and you were just not prepared for the feel of one that isn't and came out manufactured on the "tight" end of what is considered acceptable by their inspectors.

Just my two cents.
Well said. Welcome to the forum!
nickmo is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.